Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
To be fair, another Brit said the last step is supposed to be pouring water over the dish rack, so maybe that step for lost along the way, and the 'soap drips off' people are just defending their normal against cultural attacks. Like my Polish friend insisting all mushrooms must be peeled. Like... Button mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Brits complain that Americans eat chocolate that tastes like cheesy vomit all the time, so yes you can get used to any terrible taste

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hershey's chocolate is gross and if you heat it the smell becomes overpowering.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol there was also baby carrot mold-killed-by-bleach smell that everyone’s getting used to

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

To be fair, another Brit said the last step is supposed to be pouring water over the dish rack, so maybe that step for lost along the way, and the 'soap drips off' people are just defending their normal against cultural attacks. Like my Polish friend insisting all mushrooms must be peeled. Like... Button mushrooms.

Pouring water over the dish rack?! This just gets worse and worse’

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therattle posted:

Don't worry it's not wasteful, they use the bath water.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

therattle posted:

A lot of dish racks are meant to be in the second sink, so in that case I could see washing and then giving the whole thing a spray down at the end being effective enough and probably saves some water. You'd probably miss the undersides of bowls and plates to some extent though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

VelociBacon posted:

Don't worry it's not wasteful, they use the bath water.

Is that the water from the attic rat soup tank?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

This makes sense.

Steve Yun posted:

Brits complain that Americans eat chocolate that tastes like cheesy vomit all the time, so yes you can get used to any terrible taste

Yeah but one of these is a food, which is always disagreed upon and argued about. One is soap! I could see brit dish soap not being scented to hell and back like everything stateside.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mystes posted:

Hershey's chocolate is gross and if you heat it the smell becomes overpowering.

Steve Yun posted:

Hershey's is weird and tastes vaguely like puke, and yes most of us eat it anyways, but I feel like people think that is only option Americans have or something, when even basic grocery stores have like 100 kinds of chocolate to choose from, and none of the other ones taste like barf..

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm starting to think that my noodly armed saute maneuvers and pan flips have somehow given me tennis elbow. Aging is stupid and I hate it

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i rinse off the soap but sometimes if i'm in a rush and my quick rinse doesn't get off all the soap bubbles i leave them to drip. zankha has yet to knock on my door. sue me

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i rinse off the soap but sometimes if i'm in a rush and my quick rinse doesn't get off all the soap bubbles i leave them to drip. zankha has yet to knock on my door. sue me

But is there a soap flavor after?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm starting to think that my noodly armed saute maneuvers and pan flips have somehow given me tennis elbow. Aging is stupid and I hate it

It is, and it is. Sorry to hear it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is there a word or phrase for the residue that the dishwasher sometimes leaves on the plates and glasses? My partner can't smell it but sometimes I have to rinse or rewash a glass before drinking from it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carillon posted:

Is there a word or phrase for the residue that the dishwasher sometimes leaves on the plates and glasses? My partner can't smell it but sometimes I have to rinse or rewash a glass before drinking from it.

I saw some middle eastern people discussing this on twitter like two months ago. Apparently there are some turkish/arabic/farsi words for this smell and it's a meme that white people can't smell it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I saw some middle eastern people discussing this on twitter like two months ago. Apparently there are some turkish/arabic/farsi words for this smell and it's a meme that white people can't smell it.

I vaguely remember there being a genetic reason for this; it was middle easterners and Eastern European Jews who notice the smell of detergent

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think it came up in this thread. It definitely came up in this forum somewhere.

edit: found it. I'm not convinced it's genetic.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well I definitely smell it and aren't either to the best of my knowledge.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've found certain silicone or plastic cups absorb and accumulate that detergent odor something fierce. One day I drank my son's leftover cup of water and about fell on my rear end :barf:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Silicone absorbs dishwasher soap terribly. If you dishwash a rubber spatula, then use it to make a cake or something, the soap in the cake batter is still overwhelming to me.

The wet dog smell is a different thing. For me, I only get it from some dishwashers, so idk if it's the type of soap used or whether the dishwasher needs to be cleaned or what. I get it from my mom's, but thank God, not from my own.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 14, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The soap does drip off

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

The soap does drip off

How do you know?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bunch of soap licking apologists in this thread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7179047187177819438

Apparently Braggs Apple cider vinegar got bought by Katy Perry and now people are up in arms because they claim it’s diluted

https://twitter.com/siteprotagonist/status/1609681623640850437?s=46&t=KR-cmSTHZYc3IinNtOX1gg

Might go to the grocery to see for myself

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 14, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Carillon posted:

CommonShore posted:

Steve Yun posted:

I vaguely remember there being a genetic reason for this; it was middle easterners and Eastern European Jews who notice the smell of detergent

Scroll up two very short posts!!!

Scientastic posted:

The soap does drip off

Post the tek

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I've found certain silicone or plastic cups absorb and accumulate that detergent odor something fierce. One day I drank my son's leftover cup of water and about fell on my rear end :barf:
Silicone just absorbs smells like crazy in general

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whats worse in that dept silicone or cheap tupperware?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Silicone by far imo

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BrianBoitano posted:

I really want it to be one of those practices where, it's a bastardized version of something that actually makes sense. Like you don't have to rinse the soap off of a soup pot because you'd use it to rinse vegetables the next day anyhow, so you conserve soap and water.

...but this is humans we're talking about so the dumbest explanation has a good chance of being right :negative:

Wait... Why would soap be involved in rinsing vegetables?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just squirt soap into my mouth from the bottle

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nothing like mixing up baking soda with baking powder when you make fry batter

Bitter. Bitter. Bitter.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, I've heard a bit of butter makes a bitter batter better. Never tried it, but might work for you?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Next ICSA: edible food after air drying soapy dishes

mystes
May 31, 2006

how are people still talking about this soap thing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They've got jabon to pick

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
On top of gas stoves poisoning you with nitrogen dioxide, they’ve identified a mechanism for airborne particulates from frying to cause lung cancer

at harmful as smoking, doubles chances of lung cancer

long thread with links to several studies:

https://twitter.com/sri_srikrishna/status/1614550657020858369?s=46&t=mE49Ag0s_ad4V38JjP5RYQ

Open your windows and run the fans full blast

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What a colossal load of horseshit

Using high particulates in a particular single instance of frying something as a proxy for cancer risk in general is very bad and not scientific

Using a meta analysis that itself cites some absolutely massive flaws in the study as evidence suggests that the best he can do is something that I found wholly unconvincing, especially as the majority of the studies were retrospective and relied on participant recollections, notoriously bad and unreliable ways of measuring anything

Even if you accept his hypothesis, the idea that occasionally frying something in a normal kitchen is as dangerous as smoking is nonsensical: the meta analysis conclusion (which is pretty shaky anyway) is that poor ventilation and constant stir frying is a risk factor, it draws no conclusions about people who fry something every so often, nor does it makes any meaningful correlation between frequency of frying and risk

Referring to frying in general as astronomically hazardous is absolute lunacy and makes me think this guy is either a paid shill for natural gas, or sells N95 masks for a living

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Teflon v2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I clicked through and people were discussing whether toast, also, kills you. I think I'd rather just not know.