Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
for ten dollars a month you can be killed by the gun devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I got started during the Reze arc, just before she snapped the assassin's neck.

I basically stumbled into the roller coaster right as it was about to go off the cliff.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Oxxidation posted:

wouldn't be surprised if he just grabbed an obscure directory from somewhere and ran down the list

Except for the one name he deliberately chose to hide in the middle of the list, of course.

(I know you know; just bringing it up for the new first time readers who may have missed it at first like I did)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Except for the one name he deliberately chose to hide in the middle of the list, of course.

(I know you know; just bringing it up for the new first time readers who may have missed it at first like I did)

i'm that tell me

also i am now caught up

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm that tell me

also i am now caught up

Aki is on the list

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

aha, i was looking for him in there but not hard enough apparently

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

chiasaur11 posted:

Denji's a fool, but he has good instincts. I figure he'd think something was odd, even if it doesn't work.

He didnt notice the eternity devil getting exploded by an aquarium spear because he was looking at a penguin

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hace posted:

He didnt notice the eternity devil getting exploded by an aquarium spear because he was looking at a penguin

I mean, who can blame him? It was a very good penguin!

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/Heartbreak_Juan/status/1613313999646642181?s=20&t=hA39cD_6A9OIFSUQkvL9gw

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I got started during the Reze arc, just before she snapped the assassin's neck.

I basically stumbled into the roller coaster right as it was about to go off the cliff.

I saw a dump thread where quanxi was choppin off all those dudes heads and i was like "oh what sick"

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Terper posted:

Dope you should read Look Back and Goodbye Eri now

God I love Look Back

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Steve Yun posted:

Is there some backstory to the names of he gun Devil victims? Like were they the author’s childhood classmates, or patron supporters or something? I scanned through them to see if there were any foreigners and it stuck out to me that two of them had English first names but all the last names were Japanese

Some are people he knows; colleagues and so on. The rest I imagine were grabbed at random.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Makima able to drink so much because she can transfer all the alcohol poisoning to other Japanese citizens

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The anime has to keep that list of names scrolling for half of the episode or it won't be the same

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Is Makima able to drink so much because she can transfer all the alcohol poisoning to other Japanese citizens

Probably, yes. We see with Power that fiends can still get drunk.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Oh my god

Did he really design Aki with a top knot

Go 1700 pages with this character design

So that he could make this visual pun where the topknot gets replaced by a gun hammer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Why would “winner” make him think of Aki? Was “winner” a word that sounded like “Aki” in Japanese?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Oh my god

Did he really design Aki with a top knot

Go 1700 pages with this character design

So that he could make this visual pun where the topknot gets replaced by a gun hammer

Aki's named "Aki" because of the AK-47.

Fujimoto didn't plan everything from the jump, but he put in some effort for the setup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I decided to check out chapter 47, and while it does feature Aki as a character, I can’t really make an Aki-47 joke or fake theory around it.

So we’re stuck with

Aki 47. Well 4 in japanese can be pronounced as shi which sounds just like the word for death, and Aki dies. 7 is pronounced nana and Aki tends to eat healthy so he clearly makes sure to get his potassium via banana.

Aki comes back as the monkey devil???

Ape reinKarnation death banana!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Steve Yun posted:

Why would “winner” make him think of Aki? Was “winner” a word that sounded like “Aki” in Japanese?

I think the reaction is more because he is a winner. He always wins. Look how much he's won! He's winning so much. :smith:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
What if the anime manages to last so that Aki turns into the Gun Fiend in episode 47.

Or maybe the snowball fight ends in 47

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Nuebot posted:

I think the reaction is more because he is a winner. He always wins. Look how much he's won! He's winning so much. :smith:

That sequence is one of the most powerful parts of the manga to me. I think chainsaw man really excels at that Evangelion-esque combination of apocalyptic imagery mixed with psychologically charged but mundane life. Like, the struggle of just wanting to be part of a happy family but having an overwhelming amount of trauma in his life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Gun Fiend arc is so good and is my favorite fight in shonen.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Gun Fiend arc is so good and is my favorite fight in shonen.

It’s one of the most amazing, emotionally charged fights I’ve ever seen and I am legit not prepared for it to be animated

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fujimoto didn't plan everything from the jump, but he put in some effort for the setup.

My question is was Makima being the demiurge and Power's name as a reference the thrones of angels setup from the very start? That was the coolest moment for me, when her name just changed from me being like "Oh it's just there because it's cool, she's a power hungry devil" to :aaaaa:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Eimi posted:

My question is was Makima being the demiurge and Power's name as a reference the thrones of angels setup from the very start? That was the coolest moment for me, when her name just changed from me being like "Oh it's just there because it's cool, she's a power hungry devil" to :aaaaa:

I think if you compare some of the plot beats of CSM to Fire Punch, they're similar enough that I assume Fujimoto had them planned out in advance. The one that comes to mind is the fact that the Gun Devil is not actually a wildcard threat, and has been tamed by the world superpowers for a long time. Also the idea of Chainsaw Man being a hero of destruction who can bring about the Absolute destruction of a thing, down to its very idea. Those are plot elements that have kind of very clear parallels in Fire Punch, so I assume that Fujimoto went into the project wanting to explore them further. And since those are such late-game plot points, I assume things like Makima being a Miltonic figure and her tamed devils being named after the hierarchy of angels was also planned out.

Could just be a rad decision he made halfway into the story, though!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I really need to reread part 1, I apparently don't remember a bunch of stuff after Reze. I wonder if that is when I caught up and started week to week or something.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fun fact, the "AR" in "AR-15" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle", it stands for "Aki Rifle"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It’s one of the most amazing, emotionally charged fights I’ve ever seen and I am legit not prepared for it to be animated

:same:

It just hurt

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Scholtz posted:

Fun fact, the "AR" in "AR-15" doesn't stand for "Assault Rifle", it stands for "Aki Rifle"

😄

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man, the writings so good

Denji is going hog wild on food through the whole series because he’s been starving his whole life. Food will make him happy. Food is the answer to his problems.

Until it reminds him of his trauma with Aki :smith:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Shinjobi posted:

:same:

It just hurt

Yeah same. It hurt really good though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Steve Yun posted:

Man, the writings so good

Denji is going hog wild on food through the whole series because he’s been starving his whole life. Food will make him happy. Food is the answer to his problems.

Until it reminds him of his trauma with Aki :smith:

Denji's growth through the series has been really interesting. He's still Denji no doubt - but the character at the start of the series compared to the one in the more recent chapters has absolutely changed, despite still being dumb as hell and extremely impulsive. And so much of that character development is owed to his friendships with Aki and Power, and the horror show that goes on with them and Makima. Like, comparing Denji in both eternity devil arcs; I don't think Denji, in the first one, would ever have reacted to Asa the way he did in the second.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I feel it could go really well or really badly, but the team that did this first season I think would probably nail it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah Denji having an emotion conflict over doing what another person says versus getting what he wants is an interesting dilemma. the resolution of going on another date is most certainly not what early Denji would have asked for and shows growth in him

someone mentioned that this chapter was the first time we got Denji's inner monologue in part 2 and it gives weight to the scene. he's not mindless but he does have selfish motivations. he's human in a way that's endearing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Huh. Earlier on Aki has the same “thing that brought me comfort is now a reminder of trauma” thing Denji had with food

Food and cigarettes do a lot of heavy lifting in the story as multifunction symbols, meaning different things in different contexts

One neat example of this is when Aki joined the force Himeno gave him a cigarette, then took it back when she found out he was a minor. Later when he is old enough he smokes a lot. Cigarettes are being used as a symbol of maturity in this context.

So I think this is a key to an insight about Makima. After she thinks she defeated Denji, she lights up for (I think?) the first time and she coughs. Seems like an odd detail to put in. I think it’s the author’s way of saying deep down inside Makima is immature, and her wanting to mold the world to her idea of perfection comes from a place of immaturity.

So good.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I think there are a lot of potential ways to read Makima's smoking, and if nothing else, Fujimoto is someone who obviously gives a lot of thought to symbolism so any of them, all of them, or none of them could be correct.

One is the idea that they are pleasurable but self-destructive. One of the many pursuits the devil hunters indulge in as relief valves from the daily terror and mortal threats associated with their job. Aki already knows from the Curse Devil that he's going to die within two years, so why would he care about the cumulative threat of lung cancer 10+ years down the road? Himeno playfully "saves" him from this threat early in their association, but at the time she probably didn't appreciate the depth of his self-destructive obsession. Under this view, maybe Makima realizes (or is at least presaging) her own self-destruction in pursuit of her own satisfaction.

Another aspect is the way it can be used to convey an intimate interpersonal connection. The weird Japanese thing about "indirect kisses" is relevant here, but it's not necessarily a romantic intimacy. Aki shares the same habit (even the same brand) as Himeno, and that connection even manages to save him through her influence on a devil. Under this view, Makima may be trying, in her own broken way, to connect with humans now that she's gotten everything she thinks she wanted (as well as wanting to indulge in a "drat I'm good" flex like she may have seen in the movies).

Nicotine and substance addiction can also be associated with loss of control, so maybe she feels like she can indulge in this little bit of weakness now that she's "won".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was thinking some of those too! Not as they related to Makima but I think they’re all interesting

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Makima lighting a cig, taking one drag, coughing like crazy and immediately putting it out is one of my favorite moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Makima lighting a cig, taking one drag, coughing like crazy and immediately putting it out is one of my favorite moments

Makima is at her most sympathetic whenever she's a lame nerd, she should have done that more often.