Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That sounds pretty dang good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wife made me another delicious marg, here's my attempt at artsy framing.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wife made me another delicious marg, here's my attempt at artsy framing.

but are you using bourbon or rye for your margarita

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Rye obviously. Rim was undersweet though

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Make sure you roast those cherries like a marshmallow over that fire. They're already on a stick and everything

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an Old Fashioned.

1.5 oz Wild Turkey 101
.75 oz simple 1:1
3 dashes Angostura
1 dash Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters

Poured over a big piece of clear ice I froze overnight in a yeti tumbler, huge orange peel expressed on top, then skewered with a Luxardo cherry.

Delicious!

Edit: and because I drink too much I also made an Improved Whiskey Cocktail

1.5 oz Rittenhouse Rye
.25 oz simple
.25 Luxardo Maraschino
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Peychauds
Glass rinsed with Absente 100 and a big lemon peel expressed on top

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 15, 2023

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I got a bottle of 120-proof Adrift Triticale whiskey for Christmas. While I'm familiar with the joys of overproof rum, I don't really have any good ideas for overproof whiskey beyond "splash a little bit into an Old Fashioned" and "get drunk on highballs". Is there anything useful I can do with the stuff or are those probably my the best options?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

You might think it's crazy, but honestly, a gin old fashioned is really good! Worth checking out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

if i can ask, how many drinks do you all have daily, and how frequently? i'm just curious, i don't really have much of a frame of reference

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If it’s a Friday or Saturday, usually two. Three if we’re partying. Other nights, zero.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I’ll usually make 1-3 drinks on a Friday or Saturday, and maybe one or two on a random weeknight once or twice a week if I’m feeling like it. Other times I won’t drink for a week or more if I’m too lazy to make a cocktail. I don’t usually drink beer anymore unless I’m out with friends which doesn’t happen too often sadly.

I’d guess maybe 2-3 drinks per week on average throughout the year?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 16, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
2 a day or so. Some days none.

I'm assuming wine doesn't count.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 16, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Typical for me is bottle of sake, bottle of wine, or two or three cocktails on Friday and Saturday. I usually don't drink the rest of the week, I might have a beer occasionally.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

On weekdays sometimes none but usually two. Two is a lot better than one when you just got home from work and are cooking, eating and cleaning it up for most of the night. Three is not necessarily better than two in this situation.

Weekends maybe one or two more because a mid-afternoon bloody with a beer sidecar is what usually holds us over between late breakfast and dinner. If we are hosting or partying I’ve never bothered to keep track.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

The difference is a couple of dashes of different bitters. Literally that's it. Not to mention it's 50:50,

So I'll let others comment on what's weak or not.

Yes that's literally it and its a much better cocktail than a Manhattan for it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Doing dry Jan so hard to remember my exact pattern, but I think it was 1 cocktail every other night, one or two on Friday, then 0-3 Sat and Sun depending on what activities we're going on. Sometimes hiking or driving so 0, sometimes it'd be experimentation day so 3.

Wife is more consistent, one cocktail a day, every day. Usually a rosemary gin old fashioned or the hazelnut cocktail I invented a while back (rye, aperol, maraschino, and hazelnut bitters).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

well poo poo lol

I have 2-3 cocktails daily :smith:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

One or two on Tuesday evenings (regular day off), otherwise beer as needed.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I mostly drink weekdays with a days off here and there. I'm kinda jacked up on my adhd medicine and at the end of the work day it's such a lovely transition. Often just a single large portion (I free pour), one and done. Weekend if I'm doing something social or if family is driving me nuts. Try to listen to my body and skip if I'm already a bit tired in the evening. Admittedly that is kinda heavy and it does give me pause.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

well poo poo lol

Nothing wrong with that. In Belgium, anything less than 3 a day is seen as low level.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

well poo poo lol

I've had weeks like that to be sure.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
On average it's probably a cocktail a day and usually a beer with dinner. More cocktails if I'm experimenting with something new or trying to use up something perishable, maybe more beer if it's the weekend and I'm out.

Pro tip: living in a city is a great excuse to drink more because you can just walk or take the bus instead of having to drive everywhere.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pander posted:

I've had weeks like that to be sure.

I got back from a cruise a week ago. Hendricks and soda all day long for 4 days, with the scattered Manhattan and neat pour here and there.

Tonight is my first drink since Monday night. Liver needed a break. We won't mention I got COVID round 2 on Thurs.

Jack Daniel's bonded to kick off a new week.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
my wife and I usually drink a cocktail each every 2-3 days, more on the weekends if we have company. Booze is a luxury item and we try to limit how rapidly we go through it.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Strange Matter posted:

my wife and I usually drink a cocktail each every 2-3 days, more on the weekends if we have company. Booze is a luxury item and we try to limit how rapidly we go through it.

I drink about 1-2 cocktail/night and then did my end of year 2022 financial estimations and realized I spent around $2k in 2022 on my home bar supplies alone. In my defense, I compared it to a few years ago when I lived in a major metropolitan area and it was uh, closer to a 5 figure range. :sigh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We have a friend doing us a favor and we want to give him some sort of gift. I know he likes bourbon. What is a nice bourbon in the $50 or so range? Could go higher but $50 seems good because there are tons of good ones in the $30 range so want to go up a little bit.

IIRC, his favorite is Bulleit.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Waltzing Along posted:

We have a friend doing us a favor and we want to give him some sort of gift. I know he likes bourbon. What is a nice bourbon in the $50 or so range? Could go higher but $50 seems good because there are tons of good ones in the $30 range so want to go up a little bit.

IIRC, his favorite is Bulleit.

Once you get to the $60 point a whole world of high quality bourbons opens up. I like:

Henry McKenna 10 Year
Old Forester 1920
Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve (This one is around $45)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If he likes Bulleit, get him a fancy Bulleit like Single Barrel, $60ish.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bulleit 10 Year is one of my favorite middle+ bottles. It's usually around $40, and has lots of really lovely stone fruit notes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I hear Michter's US-1 is pretty good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

if i can ask, how many drinks do you all have daily, and how frequently? i'm just curious, i don't really have much of a frame of reference

I’ve really cut down, I basically only drink on Fri/Sat now. I’ll make 2-3 cocktails Fri night and Sat I’ll have a cocktail and maybe a couple glasses of wine.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just finished a bottle of Rittenhouse rye and now all I have is nice single barrel whistle pig. What should I get as a replacement, another Rittenhouse or something else?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I do not know much of the rye world, but if you like how Rittenhouse mixes why not get another? It's both cheap and good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got him the 1920. Thanks for the rec.

Made my own concoction tonight.

1 - lime
1 - oj
1 - passionfruit syrup
1 - probitas rum
1 - st. germaine
1 dash ango

Shake w/ 7 or 8 ice cubes. Open pour into a highball.

E: think I'm gonna cut the passionfruit to 3/4 next time.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 19, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Just finished a bottle of Rittenhouse rye and now all I have is nice single barrel whistle pig. What should I get as a replacement, another Rittenhouse or something else?

I'm a fan of the Sazerac rye as a slightly more plush rye for mixing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pikesville Rye by Heaven Hill is really good for its cost as well

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Rittenhouse is my go-to, but I also like Old Forester 100 Proof and High West Double Rye for cocktail ryes around the same price.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

+1 on the High West

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Went to the store to restock on some things today. I subbed High West for Rittenhouse to shake things up, so thanks for the rec. I also impulse bought a bottle of saline solution to try out. I didn't notice until I got home that, in small letters under "saline," it says "sea salt and black pepper." Should be interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an ice cream cocktail, using Anders's recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPWDOCVByk

1.5 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe
1.5 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao
1 oz. Heavy Cream
3 scoops Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup crushed ice
2 drops of green food coloring

Blended in a Boston shaker tin with my immersion blender. I didn't top it with chartreuse whipped cream, but the recipe makes me want to buy a whipped cream canister.

Served in an A&W mug that I keep in the freezer. Delicious!