Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't think I've even seen a gas stove in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We just got our gas disconnected last year in Copenhagen. And mostly because open flame and toddler seemed like a bad match, and also the stove was old and dysfunctional. But plenty of people still have gas pipes and use them for cooking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol, just lol if you pay for resistance electric heating of your water or your living space

Heat pumps are cool, though.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

We just got our gas disconnected last year in Copenhagen. And mostly because open flame and toddler seemed like a bad match, and also the stove was old and dysfunctional. But plenty of people still have gas pipes and use them for cooking.

We still have it
It was a dealbreaker when we were looking for apartments

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't think I've even seen a gas stove in my life.

I've rented a couple old AirBnBs that had them, even one in Amsterdam back in like 2012, and my wife's lovely place in Vienna had one. I think the Dutch, or maybe just Amsterdam, are making gas stoves and ovens illegal and mandated to renovate pretty soon, like 2025? Two of the ones I used required turning on the gas and then manually putting a match in some mystery hole inside the stove and hoping it turns on and doesn't blow up. Made me think of Sylvia Plath every time I used them.

I have never seen a coal stove+oven, and I don't understand at all how temperature regulation would work on it. I have seen the wood ones, in museums, and also don't understand how temperature control works. I guess it doesn't work very well?

I don't think I've seen an oil stove in a home either. Or maybe I have and didn't notice the difference, as I'm indifferent for gas vs. oil for camp cooking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saladman posted:

I have seen the wood ones, in museums, and also don't understand how temperature control works. I guess it doesn't work very well?

Temperature control isn't actually all that important for cooking. When something boils it's at a boil. When something is sizzling it's sizzling. The stovetop is cooler the further away you get from the... whatever you call the bit with the fire in it in English.

e: Reminder that people manage to cook delicious food all the time on an open fire in the middle of a loving forest/desert/crack-house and no-one questions them about temperature control.

ee: I forgot the answer: experience. And I should've said "precise control". What size wood you burn, how much, and the setting of air intake are how you control it in a technical sense.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 16, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want some of these crack house delicacies

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I feel like America has just formalized that system to the point that people can't recognize it. Though I have heard a lot of the primary states aren't really that split any more.

yes the democrats are planning on changing the primary calendar for 2024 because the first primary states were overwhelmingly white which doesn't really give an accurate picture of the party at large and there's a non-zero chance the dems lose New Hamshire (which is still a swing state) in 2024 over it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

From the schadenfreude thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love this page

they got the speed of light wrong by cutting off a digit, so it's actually 299,792,458 m/s. however, i looked it up on google maps and the great pyramid of giza is spot-on at that coordinate given. pretty neat "coincidence" :tinfoil:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pretty impressive for the ancients to predict both the Revolutionary French standardization of the meter and the location of the Greenwich Observatory back in 2500 BC.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe they didn't know about greenwich since it has no listed east/west coordinates. real ancient aliens fail

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Pretty impressive for the ancients to predict both the Revolutionary French standardization of the meter and the location of the Greenwich Observatory back in 2500 BC.
Actually, not that there's any real credence to the meaning but... the coordinates are just north- how far they are from the equator.

You're right about the meter though. It's crazy that the revolutionary French secretly knew the speed of light and defined the meter based on the position of the Pyramids from the equator.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

i say swears online posted:

maybe they didn't know about greenwich since it has no listed east/west coordinates. real ancient aliens fail

Eiba posted:

Actually, not that there's any real credence to the meaning but... the coordinates are just north- how far they are from the equator.

You're right about the meter though. It's crazy that the revolutionary French secretly knew the speed of light and defined the meter based on the position of the Pyramids from the equator.
For some reason I read that as both latitude and longitude. :doh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Eiba posted:

suspiciously developed only a few short years before napoleon unearthed the rosetta stone

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh, wait, this is back to being spooky. I just learned from the Wikipedia article for meter that it was originally defined as being exactly one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole.

And just to verify, that northern coordinate is remarkably spot on for the great pyramid:

And of course a second was traditionally defined by being 1/86400 of the time it takes the earth to rotate once.

So all the units involved are a series of somewhat arbitrary ways of dividing the objective speed and size of the Earth, keeping in mind the coordinate itself is a product of arbitrarily assigning the value of 90 to the North Pole.

That said, both the meter and the second have been further refined to slightly more standard and arbitrary lengths, and that would probably have a huge impact on the last few digits of the speed of light.

All that is to say... it's a pretty neat coincidence!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

It's not coincidence, the Ancient Aliens picked it so they'd remember where they parked their spaceship.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BonHair posted:

I still have mine, love it. I hate induction, but that might be because my parents were early adopters and their model is pretty terrible now

Have a lovely map of the Copenhagen City Gas network

green dots are regulator stations, green lines are gas pipes, dotted lines are biogas pipes, purple squares are gas plants

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Eiba posted:

It wasn't a secret that the revolutionary French knew the speed of light. The first reasonable measurement predates the definition of the metre by roughly 100 years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VictualSquid posted:

It wasn't a secret that the revolutionary French knew the speed of light. The first reasonable measurement predates the definition of the metre by roughly 100 years.

Indeed, and for a while before the speed of light was more accurately defined, it wasn't uncommon to move faster than the actual speed of light by accident, thinking you were still under the limit. This is how the French travelled back in time to ancient Egypt and stole the meter.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
ridiculous. time traveling french revolutionaries? sheer nonsense. what actually happened was that the french revolution physically moved the great pyramid to align with scientific norms

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

The original tweet promoting this idea, is it satire or genuine? I don't know if there's even a difference these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People had the idea that the speed of light was “holy poo poo, so fast”.

They weren’t wrong.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
It's obvious that Egyptians are the actual founders of French civilization. Why else would the Louvre have a pyramid?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a potential site for a Bass Pro Shop.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

quote:

Taliban government has inaugurated a World globe in Kabul

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Huh, even the Taliban say "gently caress North Korea." Would love to see the opposite side of that globe too. I wonder who the minister in charge of the land border between Afghanistan and Kazakhstan is too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

Huh, even the Taliban say "gently caress North Korea."
Actually, the text in the Indian Ocean says North Korea.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ah, yes, the rare and mesmerizing Conflict Manatee.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, the text in the Indian Ocean says North Korea.

Disappointingly, "اقيانوس هند" is just "Ocean India" in Persian, in case anyone was hoping for something like "Infidel Sea" or "Afghan Ocean". I get your joke, but I was curious if there was anything weird in the text, like how Persian Gulf vs Arab Gulf are fought over linguistically. There are probably some atrocious textual errors in there but I can't read anything else except Australia.

E: Actually maybe it's a little weird that it's written in Persian and not in Pashto? What language do the Taliban usually issue documents in? In Pashto Indian Ocean seems to be ('د هند سمندر') at least according to Wikipedia. Which still seems to be "Indian Ocean" but with a different word for ocean and apparently Pahsto puts the adjective after the noun and not before it.

VVV: also lmao

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 17, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quorum posted:

Ah, yes, the rare and mesmerizing Conflict Manatee.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Afghanistan is not a small country

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/amazingmap/status/1615343671880323073

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brazil is not a small country.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I still have mine, love it. I hate induction, but that might be because my parents were early adopters and their model is pretty terrible now

Have a lovely map of the Copenhagen City Gas network

green dots are regulator stations, green lines are gas pipes, dotted lines are biogas pipes, purple squares are gas plants

We would have kept it if it wasn't for the stove being old lovely, and the touch controls are honestly a bit rubbish.

But the may you posted is indeed lovely, specifically for using white for both water and other municipalities. The big hole in the middle is Frederiksberg, and you can see where the border between Frederiksberg and Copenhagen consists of lakes too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is that yellow island off the eastern coast of China supposed to be South Korea? Assuming that Taiwan is the elongated blue island further down. What happened to North Korea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Is that yellow island off the eastern coast of China supposed to be South Korea? Assuming that Taiwan is the elongated blue island further down. What happened to North Korea?

Yeah that was the question. A real head scratcher. Like islands looking weird and Brunei being erased from existence, alright I get it, it's only a massive 6 meter diameter map of the world, I'm sure it's hard to find a small, 50 centimeter splotch to show Brunei and East Timor. Peninsular Malaysia and insular Malaysia being different colors, also OK I get it, you have never seen a map before and it is kind of a weird country. North Korea being absent but South Korea being there is really ???.

Tajikistan being south of the Wakhan corridor is also a bit of a mystery, even though I know the artist intentionally enlarged Afghanistan and shows it as "highlighted & expanded" visually... if incompetently. I at first thought they gave Kashmir independence. The Uzbek "straight line north" border being shoved 300 km east, also a bit odd, as is the erasure of most of Turkmenistan's border with the Caspian. But hey it's approximate. And I'm sure it's hard to get those small countries right when you only have the space available on one of the world's largest globes to work with.

E: Oh poo poo, they DID give Kashmir independence. That's not Tajikistan, that's Kashmir ( کشمیر ). I knew there'd be some good easter egg there in the Persian text. Tajikistan is the part with the same color as Pakistan north of the Wakhan corridor. I can only make out the "k" but since that's Kashmir in green (lol) I'm pretty sure that must be Tajikistan to the north.

Now I really want to see the rest of the globe.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 17, 2023