Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

"Zombie Stores & Ghost Kitchens" would make a good book title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I am opening a Mummy Mall

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol ok i was trying to make a mummy joke but instead look at this picture

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

BattleMaster posted:

it doesn't think, reflect, consider, or anything. it is an incredibly complicated pattern matching system. any response it provides is a mixture of everything in its training material that is statistically likely to be a response to the input text. if you call it out, it doesn't reconsider anything or think about it harder, it just makes a mix of how the people in its training material responded when called out

It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"modern technologies allow us to see what this bald-headed bitch might have looked like. look at this jambi the genie looking motherfucker, lol"
me, enjoying the museum: hmmm, lol

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Lich Bank

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Wight Deli

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Banshee Business Park

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a reason why the suburban restaurant market is dominated by chain businesses with homogenized supply chains and actual destination restaurants are few and far between.

I live in the burbs and our area is quite the opposite, outside of the fast food places of which we only have 2 or 3, we don’t have Applebees or Olive Garden etc. We have primarily small independent restaurants and a large community that supports them. If you pick a nice suburb you’re going to be doing just fine imo and probably have a larger customer base.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

it can't reflect on anything it's a linear algebra equation

BattleMaster posted:

it doesn't think, reflect, consider, or anything. it is an incredibly complicated pattern matching system. any response it provides is a mixture of everything in its training material that is statistically likely to be a response to the input text. if you call it out, it doesn't reconsider anything or think about it harder, it just makes a mix of how the people in its training material responded when called out

do you guys think your own brain runs on magic or something

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Rutibex posted:

do you think it runs on linear algebra?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rexicon1 posted:

Lich Bank

Also known as a central bank

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol ok i was trying to make a mummy joke but instead look at this picture

Am I cursed now? :ohdear:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The underlying design of the model makes it incapable of recognizing problems such as factual inaccuracies or internal contradictions except through reinforcement, so it's trivially easy to force it to spout off incorrect information just by asking for a lot of it. I do a lot of work for a company that does a specific kind of medical testing, so that's where I've been prodding it, but you can get the same results from SEO-heavy topics like plumbing, HVAC, botox, etc. It falls flat on its face for anything where producing a large volume of usable output requires more context than just piecing together existing bits of information.

genericnick posted:

Clearly the future internet is two ML algorithms adversely training each other.

so graduate school?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Weird case where I agree with the dumbest economist ever to live. These layoffs might be a canary in the coal mine (probably are), but they're completely insignificant even within their own industry.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Please don't engage with the p-zombie.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Rutibex posted:

do you think that a neural net is an actually accurate model of a human brain

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A lot of 'suburbs' are basically urban islands though, especially prewar street car suburbs like Shaker Heights OH, Georgetown, Mt. Lebanon PA, etc.

When people talk about suburbs what mostly comes to mind is car-dependent strip mall hell. Destination restaurants don't do well in those places for a reason.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

do you think that a neural net is an actually accurate model of a human brain

yes humans become humans because they absorb language. the medium where their mind resides isn't the important part, it's the information relationships

I've worked with severely autistic people, and I never had a problem seeing them as human. gpt3 is much higher functioning than the people I've worked with

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Demolition Man future of all dining being Taco Bell is gonna come true

Apr 7, 2003

Koirhor posted:

It’s what we deserve

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

economists stop saying sticky challenge

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

For posters who are unfamiliar (like myself until 10 seconds ago): ESG stands for environmental, social, and governance

basically fink is getting mad that people are seeing him as a fink

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

I wish it was Arby's

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Rutibex posted:

I've worked with severely autistic people, and I never had a problem seeing them as human. gpt3 is much higher functioning than the people I've worked with

I mean... Dude. GPT3 uses a bunch of weights that are trained off dating sets to predict the next word in a sequence. It's like 0.0005% as capable as a human brain. Any human

Just because a person has problems with communication doesn't mean they function worse than a program that spits out text

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Armadillo Tank posted:

For posters who are unfamiliar (like myself until 10 seconds ago): ESG stands for environmental, social, and governance

mad about the "greenwashing" label

Apr 7, 2003

Most people eating at destination restaurants are people of normal means going out for a special occasion, not affluent people who eat at your local version of Peter Luger's every day. Those people have their own more expensive versions of Applebee's to eat at three times a week, with higher price points to keep the riff raff out. Most suburbs just don't have the density to maintain that sort of destination dining.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Armadillo Tank posted:

How does that saying go? "A hit dog will holler"?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Rutibex posted:

yes humans become humans because they absorb language. the medium where their mind resides isn't the important part, it's the information relationships

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i ain't touchin that one lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lmao this took an unexpected turn

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It literally cannot distinguish a program from an actual breathing human being, because it itself has no concept of mind. It is a philosophical zombie. Stop wasting your breath on the never-alive.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Weird way to talk about the board game thread.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It literally cannot distinguish a program from an actual breathing human being, because it itself has no concept of mind. It is a philosophical zombie. Stop wasting your breath on the never-alive.

are we talking about capitalists or AI here?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
confused working with with being

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Shut up about the ai. god drat. We get it. You want to gently caress the computer.

do you make your grandchildren watch the "Don't date robots!" video?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Shut up about the ai. god drat. We get it. You want to gently caress the computer.

You have the power to enforce thread topicality.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the ultimate goal is to make a chatbot with access to arms so that it can get pissed off enough at you for suggesting that the things it feels aren't real. this is what humanity wants and why AI apocalypse is just as much wish fulfillment as The Singularity - it's all about becoming God. in this case, we become God by creating something which feels as lacking as us and allow it to kill us the way we could never kill God.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

I live in the burbs and our area is quite the opposite, outside of the fast food places of which we only have 2 or 3, we don’t have Applebees or Olive Garden etc. We have primarily small independent restaurants and a large community that supports them. If you pick a nice suburb you’re going to be doing just fine imo and probably have a larger customer base.

this is a regional oddity btw. it’s the same out here on the east side. no chains outside for about a half dozen independent places that are doing quite well.

it’s not going like that outside of the Seattle area though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Taiwan: Bro if we get invaded you're going to help right? Bro?
*opens door to the cool chip factory they like hanging out with their NATO friends with benefits*
Taiwan: Why is this place empty?? Where is everybody?
*ghost of mao emerges from the corner*