Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

Anyone have a a general rule of thumb for selling appreciated stock gambles? A couple of my 2022 picks are at or near +100%, which seems like as good a time as any to take some profit. Its not a serious amount of money (<$1000 between the two), but they would both be short term gains which does eat up some of the potential profit.

In case anyone thinks I'm here to post about my sick gains, I'll remind you I also invested in Intel

reminds me of this q&a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIDhM366YM

video is so old he refers to walmart as a growth stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

reminds me of this q&a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIDhM366YM

video is so old he refers to walmart as a growth stock

Good interview. Maybe I should punch out of Costco, they do actually seem pretty saturated throughout the US now, and international growth seems p hard for them. And they *suck* at online. So even though they are a cash machine, it does feel like they are in the "8th or 9th inning".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Baddog posted:

Good interview. Maybe I should punch out of Costco, they do actually seem pretty saturated throughout the US now, and international growth seems p hard for them. And they *suck* at online. So even though they are a cash machine, it does feel like they are in the "8th or 9th inning".

Looking at valuations / growth over the past decade, sometimes I have that feeling for well… everything. Growth has to be finite… right!?! :ohdear:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

movax posted:

Looking at valuations / growth over the past decade, sometimes I have that feeling for well… everything. Growth has to be finite… right!?! :ohdear:

Reported

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/jaykaeppel/status/1611720932145389568?s=20

interesting for the focus on small traders -- anyone know of data similar to that, focusing on small traders?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiretoDaAmerica/status/1612164628947009536?s=20

commodities might get a bid when futures open

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They missed the anniversary of the US one by two days but at least they got the part where the leader leaves and doesn't participate right

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
As someone with a position in Petrobras (Brazil oil): lol, lmao

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Forgot Postmark went private -- saw the cash in my account today. Took a bath on that one but nice having my hand forced versus holding the bag.

e: also, if this is a safe space -- I still have some $DPZ I bought ages ago. Its dividend currently buys me two pizzas a quarter. It feels like I should exit this / how the gently caress is it worth so much, but at the same time, two pizzas a quarter and my cost-basis is $250.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 9, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Sold some April 40p on ALBO today. Getting acquired by Ipssen for 42 plus an untradeable contingent for 10 if their new drug gets FDA approval. Will be done through a tender, expecting to close by end of 1Q.

Margin requirement on Etrade is 100% though... maybe that will get adjusted downward a bit.

Shouldn't really be any regulatory concerns here. I suppose these days that's a bigger "shouldn't" than it used to be though. I'm more worried about ipssen's financing running into issues if the EU completely melts down in the next 3 months. Relatively small deal, but its not pocket change to Ipssen.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 9, 2023

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Sure am glad I took a flyer on BIOR today

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/McClellanOsc/status/1613309893594984448?s=20

great thread

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
This applies to scientific papers - the amount of useful data in a figure is inversely proportional to its complexity

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheTranscript_/status/1613647733310607360

$BLK and most other big (shadow) banks report tomorrow

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is there an app I can download to select certain tickers that will show me option prices with a click or 2? I used to use robinhood’s app, but now I apparently have to have an account with them to see options pricing and I don’t want to do that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Is there an app I can download to select certain tickers that will show me option prices with a click or 2? I used to use robinhood’s app, but now I apparently have to have an account with them to see options pricing and I don’t want to do that

Yahoo finance has option prices.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

from https://link.theverge.com/view/63bd756d87591243690fcd9b63bd76723985a21bc0415e8d/6ef565eb
Bosworth is Meta's CTO

quote:

In an internal memo I obtained that he sent to employees just before the holidays, Bosworth acknowledged a sentiment I’ve been hearing from current and ex-employees for a while: “We have solved too many problems by adding headcount. But adding headcount also adds overhead. And overhead makes everything slower.”

“Every week I see documents with 100+ editors,” he wrote to the roughly 18,000 people in Reality Labs. ”A meeting with 50+ people that took a month to schedule. Sometimes there is even a ‘pre-meeting’ with its own document. I believe the current situation is untenable.”

:wtc: $META

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

This is every Fortune 100 legacy company I've ever seen. Funny to see a FAANG realize it

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

its fun working at a really big firm and seeing some trendy thing hit the scene and 20 different teams all implementing it simultaneously without any of the others knowing.

then going to present it in a group setting and other people realizing what happened.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

“Every week I see documents with 100+ editors,” he wrote to the roughly 18,000 people in Reality Labs. ”A meeting with 50+ people that took a month to schedule. Sometimes there is even a ‘pre-meeting’ with its own document. I believe the current situation is untenable.”

Like... yes, that's a big issue, but it's hardly unsolvable, and the solution doesn't have to be firing tons of people. My company has over 100k employees and I've never seen a document with 100 editors, that's batshit. The only meetings with 50 people are all-hands, and you loving record the thing so people who weren't available can listen later, you don't have to wait a month to schedule it.

Identify key stakeholders, create small working groups, reduce the number of people who have to sign off on anything. Empower low-level employees and their direct managers to make decisions. The poo poo that guy is describing is symptomatic of high level management being obsessed with micromanagement and control, and individuals terrified of making independent decisions.

Also, don't stake your social media company's future on a loving VR play, of course. LOL. LMAO. In that interview he's insisting it's at the absolute core and the last thing they can or would cut. Insane.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So basically source #2 on Meta VR being startling inefficient

(Carmack left late last year complaining of similar)
https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/16/23513622/john-carmack-leaving-meta-virtual-reality-oculus-cto

quote:

If I am trying to sway others, I would say that an org that has only known inefficiency is ill prepared for the inevitable competition and/or belt tightening, but really, it is the more personal pain of seeing a 5% GPU utilization number in production. I am offended by it.

[edit: I was being overly poetic here, as several people have missed the intention. As a systems optimization person, I care deeply about efficiency. When you work at optimization for most of your life, seeing something that is grossly inefficient hurts your soul. I was likening observing our organization’s performance to seeing tragically low number on a profiling tool.]

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 13, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/kcrequity/status/1615346599361916930

great charts. anyone who follows a single stock closely knows that analyst estimates lag and are often ridiculous. but these charts clearly demonstrate that for the s&p as a whole over decades.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is anyone checking out AI these days? Seems you can find some promising long-term prospects if you know where to look? The trillion-dollar company of the next decade might just be sprouting today.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Microsoft has invested heavily in OpenAI. Between OpenAI and Blizzard they seem to be deploying their cash in seemingly smart ways in comparison to the other tech giants.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft just announced they'd be offering ChatGPT* as a product (via an API in their cloud hosting solution, Azure) at a rate of $0.02/~750 words (1000 4 letter credits(-ish)) which roughly translates to $15/chonky fantasy novel so that looks like a ringing endorsement for text-based AI as a product.

*Open AI** product
**Open AI is anything but open

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can grab open-source chat AI software and run it on a cloud server for pennies too. There's plugins for discord. The big question is whether there's actually a technology moat that can be monetized. I think the actual asset is the big data set, not the bot that mines it and spits out more or less intelligible chunks/generic images based on that data. Every company with big data sets may be looking at licensing AI applications to work on them? The toys we're playing with as consumers aren't the big money I think, I think if there is big money it's the much less fun & sexy but more useful Big Data/Analytics/AI space that is already a relatively mature product category among cloud software vendors.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1615391455270559744?t=WbWrNBVi4MokMB_NL9ieZQ&s=19

Does this foreshadow the decline of the US dollar or a "where's my money" visit on the global stage?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hadlock posted:

Microsoft just announced they'd be offering ChatGPT* as a product (via an API in their cloud hosting solution, Azure) at a rate of $0.02/~750 words (1000 4 letter credits(-ish)) which roughly translates to $15/chonky fantasy novel so that looks like a ringing endorsement for text-based AI as a product.

*Open AI** product
**Open AI is anything but open

I heard George RR Martin is using it for his next book.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

No promising AI company is going to be raising money from anyone but private investors like VCs, institutional investors, or already-existing trillion dollar companies like microsoft and google.

laxbro posted:

Microsoft has invested heavily in OpenAI. Between OpenAI and Blizzard they seem to be deploying their cash in seemingly smart ways in comparison to the other tech giants.

Don't forget how they bought github and immediately used all the code on it to train a code generation bot.

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1615391455270559744?t=WbWrNBVi4MokMB_NL9ieZQ&s=19

Does this foreshadow the decline of the US dollar or a "where's my money" visit on the global stage?

Many things have been foreshadowing the decline of USD as single world reserve currency.

Idk if the US is going to invade saudi arabia like we did iraq and libya when they tried to sell oil in euros or another currency

The most relevant indicator today of the fragmentation of the USD world order has been the lack of success of the sanctions on russia (we effectively cut them off entirely from the dollar system) in destroying their economy.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 17, 2023

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Now is the time for Biden to revalue the dinar!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Put on a 2s10s yield curve steepener trade via futures last Friday.

It's the first time I've used Treasury futures. Wish me luck.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/kcrequity/status/1615346599361916930

great charts. anyone who follows a single stock closely knows that analyst estimates lag and are often ridiculous. but these charts clearly demonstrate that for the s&p as a whole over decades.

Does this mean I should sell because a recession is bad for number, or buy because a recession causing interest rates to fall is good for number?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gay picnic defence posted:

Does this mean I should sell because a recession is bad for number, or buy because a recession causing interest rates to fall is good for number?

Yes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gay picnic defence posted:

whatever you do, make sure you do it at the right time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Residency Evil posted:

whatever you do, make sure you do it at the right time.

This, OP

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Anyone else playing SiC (silicon carbide) and adjacent industries? It is a technology that has been around for ages (I designed around it about 12 years ago, and it’s been around since the 90s) but the renewed pressure on electrification (non passenger EV… talking construction equipment, newer trains, etc) + compactness have driven the interest to levels I haven’t seen in ages. (Ex: https://www.autonews.com/suppliers/borgwarner-gets-access-650m-silicon-carbide-devices)

I’ve picked up a good amount of Wolfspeed and Rohm, and then I’ve also got Aehr Test Systems ($AEHR) and Coherent ($COHR). Feels like $WOLF was overvalued but it has gotten beaten down recently. Infineon and ST are also in this area, but I’ve got a lot of exposure to those already.

I also decided to pick $NVTS for the GaN side of things (EPC is not public AFAIK) — down quite a bit on that year to date. It’s (GaN) clearly gotten mainstream (See every charger on the planet) but I also clearly failed to play it correctly wrt actually making money in the market.

E: Other Semi adjacent I played with — AMKR (packaging), and then I have a spread of ASML and Lam Research on the fabrication side of thing. Loads of TSM, but all at 2021 highs — currently in the red on that.

$AEHR is doing extremely well -- +40% since November. WOLF is over-valued but I've lowered my cost-basis in that. Trying to build more exposure to the European suppliers (STMicro) but I can't actually figure out which ticker I should buy for Rohm -- ADRs or otherwise. Seems very illiquid.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

whole long tweet thread and blog post but I’ll link this part

https://twitter.com/aswathdamodaran/status/1617205765873319938

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Looks like GNS (not GNUS) is shaping up to be the first meme stock play this year. Picked up a bunch on the dip and ascending wedge from this morning

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

cirus posted:

Looks like GNS (not GNUS) is shaping up to be the first meme stock play this year. Picked up a bunch on the dip and ascending wedge from this morning

Time to touch the poop and lose more money, huh? How do you spot the peak on these bubbles-- or has it already happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

cirus posted:

Definitely the right time to load up on this. AFTER it went up 699.66% in three days