Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

these excerpts do a good job pointing out that even when you’re paying full attention to what FSD is doing you’ll still be helpless to respond in time to keep it from entering a dangerous situation, then slow to correct the situation once you’ve realized what’s happened

“well the driver is supposed to pay attention, that solves any issue” is such an insanely incorrect and dangerous copout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the whole point of fsd is to allow you to not pay attention to driving

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
theres also a quote in there from one of the fsd fungineers saying explicitly that the system is designed to shift liability onto the human driver, whether it was actually their fault or not

which isn't news to any of us i'm sure. but afaik we were all just speculating as such, seeing it laid out in writing is always helpful

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

theres also a quote in there from one of the fsd fungineers saying explicitly that the system is designed to shift liability onto the human driver, whether it was actually their fault or not

which isn't news to any of us i'm sure. but afaik we were all just speculating as such, seeing it laid out in writing is always helpful

now now, the system isn't designed to shift liability *onto* the human, it's about shifting it *off of* tesla. they dont give a gently caress who actually ends up with the liability so long as it isn't them

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it occurred to me today how long boston dynamics has spent trying to get their robots to handle real life scenarios, and yet all of the videos they release, while still very impressive, demonstrate very controlled environments where the robots are likely to succeed. it really highlights just how difficult it is to factor in so many different variables.

it’s bonkers that tesla has allowed their software to exist in the wild and make quite literally so many life or death decisions

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

polyester concept posted:

it occurred to me today how long boston dynamics has spent trying to get their robots to handle real life scenarios, and yet all of the videos they release, while still very impressive, demonstrate very controlled environments where the robots are likely to succeed. it really highlights just how difficult it is to factor in so many different variables.

it’s bonkers that tesla has allowed their software to exist in the wild and make quite literally so many life or death decisions

yes mayn people have been killed or maimed by the "autopilot" but have you considered that increased valuation of tesla stock has made some rich people even richer???

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

"As soon as I was on the highway, I engaged Autopilot, and the car took over. I had the road mostly to myself. This Tesla was programmed to go 15 percent above the speed limit whenever Autopilot was in use, and the car accelerated quickly to 74 miles per hour, which was Riad’s speed when he crashed. Were his Autopilot speed settings the same?"

are you actually able to program it to exceed speed limits? that seems gratuitous even by musk standards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Of course! The software is programmed to roll stop signs ffs. The users would go insane if they couldn't set it to auto drive 95mph on El Camino Real

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

"As soon as I was on the highway, I engaged Autopilot, and the car took over. I had the road mostly to myself. This Tesla was programmed to go 15 percent above the speed limit whenever Autopilot was in use, and the car accelerated quickly to 74 miles per hour, which was Riad’s speed when he crashed. Were his Autopilot speed settings the same?"

are you actually able to program it to exceed speed limits? that seems gratuitous even by musk standards

despite the name it's basically lane-keeping cruise control with lovely crash avoidance. you can set those systems to some arbitrary limit, so it makes a hosed up kind of sense that you'd be able to with autopilot also

maybe that will change and someone will nail his rear end to the wall for using the terms "autopilot" and "full self driving", but i'm not exactly hopeful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

was it this thread we were making GBS threads up by arguing about garage music? because a friend coincidentally posted an hour long speed garage mix:

https://soundcloud.com/user2230467/...=social_sharing

listen to it in your Tesla as you overtake 50 cars while on pills and crash into a school bus

e: woah what the gently caress that works as an embed?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 19, 2023

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

knox_harrington posted:

the Honda e exists and I love it.

I love that car so much and am very upset that Honda has no plans to sell it in the US. It would be perfect for me.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This happened in Victorville so we can't rule out the driver committing suicide-by-FSD. That's the effect that area has on people.

welp

https://www.vvng.com/fatal-tesla-crash-on-bear-valley-road-was-intentional-driver-identified/

quote:

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Tricia Blake told VVNG that based on recent statements made by the victim, his last conversations, and the evidence at the scene the deputy and coroner investigator determined it to be intentional.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Dr.Smasher posted:

I love that car so much and am very upset that Honda has no plans to sell it in the US. It would be perfect for me.

i looked this car up and omg it's so cute i want it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

akadajet posted:

Elon is Professor Hojo

impossible

Hojo's actions were in support of his son

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

it really is, i really hate how it equates utilitarianism (i.e. the greatest good for the greatest number of people) with a loving murderous beta test

yeah the article doesn't really address the way longtermerism twists utilitarianism into some pretty heinous poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Of course! The software is programmed to roll stop signs ffs. The users would go insane if they couldn't set it to auto drive 95mph on El Camino Real

yeah, it has selectable "rear end in a top hat driver" mode

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, it has selectable "rear end in a top hat driver" mode

differentiating it from the person in the driver's seat

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i don't care how common it is for people to do this, it's still absolutely insane to me that Tesla intentionally programmed in a feature to violate traffic laws

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

bump_fn posted:

yes mayn people have been killed or maimed by the "autopilot" but have you considered that increased valuation of tesla stock has made some rich people even richer???

no joke was talking to a finance guy and Musk/Tesla came up and I listed off the number of ways he's a loving dunce/FSD is complete bullshit, and this was his counter argument, said in full seriousness.

capitalism is a cancer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

i mean violating safety laws does seem to be musk's raison d'etre

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
did tesla ever implement the feature where after 10,000 miles of fsd logged you unlock rules to further loosen their already weak driver awareness alarms? that was something musk had tweeted about being planned

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

despite the name it's basically lane-keeping cruise control with lovely crash avoidance.

no. because you can set it to “mad max” and it will automatically try to overtake every car in front of you. it changed lanes and stuff

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fermun posted:

did tesla ever implement the feature where after 10,000 miles of fsd logged you unlock rules to further loosen their already weak driver awareness alarms? that was something musk had tweeted about being planned

he said "coming in jan" so still 12 days for that to happen, though given tesla's general timeline-keeping, it miiiiiiiiight hit in june

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Endless Mike posted:

he said "coming in jan" so still 12 days for that to happen, though given tesla's general timeline-keeping, it miiiiiiiiight hit in june a firetruck

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

that this rate with all their lawsuits fsd will get banned by the end of this year

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

that this rate with all their lawsuits fsd will get banned by the end of this year

doubt it. musk never faces consequences

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

amazon got a $60k fine for repeatedly injuring their employees. lol if you think fsd gets banned

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

one could hope

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

elon "elon musk" musk will never die as he is god's punishment for an evil world

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just saw this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEyTMDTxyS8

lol why road rage in a city where over half the people are packing?

funny enough I know someone who got their model 3 shot at during a street takeover in houston, and they weren't really doing anything to provoke anybody.

edit: just noticed the tesla idiot sitting in front of a day-trader monitor setup

akadajet fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 19, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cat Face Joe posted:

elon "elon musk" musk will never die as he is god's punishment for an evil world

henry kissinger using the avatar tree of souls to embed himself inside elon musk

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

i mean, of course, he bought a tesla

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

akadajet posted:

just saw this on youtube

funny enough I know someone who got their model 3 shot at during a street takeover in houston, and they weren't really doing anything to provoke anybody.

edit: just noticed the tesla idiot sitting in front of a day-trader monitor setup

there's some dude doing a tesla road rage spree who hasn't been caught despite being totally identifiable to anyone trying so I assume he's a cop (plus he looks like a cop and is doing cop behavior)

https://news.yahoo.com/tesla-driver-centre-growing-list-202443700.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRiXPKxgEU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

there's some dude doing a tesla road rage spree who hasn't been caught despite being totally identifiable to anyone trying so I assume he's a cop (plus he looks like a cop and is doing cop behavior)

https://news.yahoo.com/tesla-driver-centre-growing-list-202443700.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRiXPKxgEU

“hey siri call 911” doesn’t seem to be working

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

“hey siri call 911” doesn’t seem to be working

it did for me watching it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol whoops

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

akadajet posted:

it did for me watching it

loving lmao

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

akadajet posted:

just saw this on youtube

drive friendly

and by friendly i mean white

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

no joke was talking to a finance guy and Musk/Tesla came up and I listed off the number of ways he's a loving dunce/FSD is complete bullshit, and this was his counter argument, said in full seriousness.

capitalism is a cancer.

you should have told them to kill themselves the savings from not paying out their retirement or old age medical costs would be a boon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

quiggy posted:

henry kissinger using the avatar tree of souls to embed himself inside elon musk