Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes there is a reason why 3 distinct types of nailers exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Per usual the answer is some kind of cartridge actuated beast that drives 7" bolts into concrete.

:sickos:

...or just the cheapo ryobi brad gun, I guess.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hmm, I think the right answer would be to *borrow* a brad nailer, because I don't have a 2nd job in mind.

That or see what a corded unit would set me back because I don't have a compressor and cordless brad nailers seem to be $X00.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I rented a finish nailer from Home Depot that did the job very well, although I was putting up half round on drywall so that's a different application?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Same thing

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Wtf.

Ryobi doesn't offer thier like $25 corded staple/brad gun anymore???

Again, WTF.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have a 60 gallon air compressor. I have an abrasive blaster. It clogs because of moisture. I am thinking I should add a cooler to the setup to decrease the moisture in the air. I've seen two designs that look like a good idea. The first is basically an air conditioning condenser plumbed in between the compressor outlet and the tank. The other design is a length of copper pipe going up and down with drain valves at the bottom of each "valley".

AC condenser intercooler:

copper snake moisture mitigation:

Which design works better? I am pretty sure the AC condenser has to be plumbed in between the compressor outlet and the tank. The up-and-down copper pipe style seems to go between the tank and the tool. Does anyone know why?

I bought a fancy Makita cordless track saw. It came with two batteries. I am thinking maybe now is the time to jump from Ryobi to Makita. Makita batteries are expensive but they seem fairly plentiful second hand. Is there any decent way to evaluate the health of a used power tool battery someone else is selling? I have a multimeter. I have one of those carbon pile testers for car batteries.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Regarding brad nailer chat:

This item of dubious quality may be what you're after OP. Corded for cheapness and does 18ga brads up to 1":
Cheap-O Brad Nailer

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There's a dewalt one but it seems it'll only do 5/8" brads which are just a little shy of what you need I would think.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Deviant posted:

Hmm, I think the right answer would be to *borrow* a brad nailer, because I don't have a 2nd job in mind.

That or see what a corded unit would set me back because I don't have a compressor and cordless brad nailers seem to be $X00.

I'm assuming you haven't already bought into a power tool brand?

Edit: If you have any Ryobi batteries and live near a DTO you might could snag one of these: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/ZRP320

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 19, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PBCrunch posted:

I have a 60 gallon air compressor. I have an abrasive blaster. It clogs because of moisture. I am thinking I should add a cooler to the setup to decrease the moisture in the air. I've seen two designs that look like a good idea. The first is basically an air conditioning condenser plumbed in between the compressor outlet and the tank. The other design is a length of copper pipe going up and down with drain valves at the bottom of each "valley".

AC condenser intercooler:

copper snake moisture mitigation:

Which design works better? I am pretty sure the AC condenser has to be plumbed in between the compressor outlet and the tank. The up-and-down copper pipe style seems to go between the tank and the tool. Does anyone know why?

I bought a fancy Makita cordless track saw. It came with two batteries. I am thinking maybe now is the time to jump from Ryobi to Makita. Makita batteries are expensive but they seem fairly plentiful second hand. Is there any decent way to evaluate the health of a used power tool battery someone else is selling? I have a multimeter. I have one of those carbon pile testers for car batteries.

I would like to add it's better for your tank to get dry air too. I don't know which one is more effective but both versions should be able to be hooked up so they come before the tank.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Danhenge posted:

I'm assuming you haven't already bought into a power tool brand?

Edit: If you have any Ryobi batteries and live near a DTO you might could snag one of these: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/ZRP320

Makita. :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Search around for Makita to Ryobi 18v adapters and you’ll find a lot of options. I did for DeWalt to Ryobi18 and with one adapter that opens up a lot of cheap / used tool options.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can even 3d print a lot of adapters (though you'll need some metal and wire to finish it).

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

That Works posted:

Search around for Makita to Ryobi 18v adapters and you’ll find a lot of options. I did for DeWalt to Ryobi18 and with one adapter that opens up a lot of cheap / used tool options.

More DTO abuse opportunities. The thought never occurred to me, is their track saw garbage for sheet goods?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

two options:

1) trim head screws, we use them to fasten cabinets to each other. I'd pre-drill the quarter round, especially near the ends, to prevent splitting. Leaves an easily-filled hole
2) pre-drill the quarter round and hand-nail finishing nails. Use a nail-set to drive the nail home and slightly below the surface.

Both are perfectly serviceable, just time consuming. If you have more than a small amount to do, probably worth it to rent brad nailer

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

two options:

1) trim head screws, we use them to fasten cabinets to each other. I'd pre-drill the quarter round, especially near the ends, to prevent splitting. Leaves an easily-filled hole
2) pre-drill the quarter round and hand-nail finishing nails. Use a nail-set to drive the nail home and slightly below the surface.

Both are perfectly serviceable, just time consuming. If you have more than a small amount to do, probably worth it to rent brad nailer

Too much work and it leaves a pretty big hole, all tolled. That's what 3d or 4d finish nails are for. Expenditure: hammer & nailset. Or hell, never tried it, but maybe you could hot-glue that molding down.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Can’t you buy a pinner or a Brad nailer with a pancake compressor from HF for less than a hundred? I have the HF pinner, and I’d describe it as serviceable.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Getting down and hammering trim nails by hand or lmao using trim screws seems insane. I do love the idea of the future homeowner going to pull the shoe base to change flooring and being very confused.

An 18ga brad nailer is a super useful tool to own, same with a small compressor. If you have room to store them, just spring for the tools.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rufio posted:

Getting down and hammering trim nails by hand or lmao using trim screws seems insane. I do love the idea of the future homeowner going to pull the shoe base to change flooring and being very confused.

An 18ga brad nailer is a super useful tool to own, same with a small compressor. If you have room to store them, just spring for the tools.

that's how people did it for hundreds of years and it worked just fine. it doesnt take long to hand nail trim even w pre-drilling, the biggest risk is a beginner missing the nail and damaging the wall or flooring

brad nailer is useful if you plan on doing more trim installs but its absolutely not necessary to spring for nailgun + compressor + air hose + bradnails just to install a bit of shoe moulding.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wouldn’t an electric Brad nailer be a better choice if you didn’t need a compressor anyway

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a small cross-line laser level that can be easily tacked onto walls? I need to centre and align industrial piping in smaller cramped spaces and the Dewalt laser I use is too heavy (and expensive) to sticky tack onto nearby walls. This Ryobi one looked pretty good but isn't available outside of the EU apparently

But then again maybe I'm better off using a magnetic pole mount that I can just move around.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 21, 2023

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Tool thread:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

that's how people did it for hundreds of years and it worked just fine

(Buy or rent an electric nailer)

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Buying a compressor opens the option to own even more tools, it's a win win

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Everybody should own a compressor, if only to terrorize your neighbors when you turn it on.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Just put a long bead of silicone along the back of the shoe base then secure it with painters tape until it is dry

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just go like the previous owner of my last house and glue the loving things on you cowards

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

wait are you guys not spending $200 filling your garage with things you used one time? poo poo

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just do like we did, buy a tool from harbor freight, use it, put it back in the box and return it the same day.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
I love having compressed air in my garage, so a nailer is only what, $30-40 on top of that? Quiet ones are pretty cheap now that won't melt your brain too.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Do not get air compressor air compressor very bad air compressor bad and loud and scary tool worse than vacuum

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hard agree ^^

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

wait are you guys not spending $200 filling your garage with things you used one time? poo poo

:hmmyes: didn't get the memo if we weren't supposed to be doing this

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Having access to compressed air is great in concept, but imo the real-world uses for a little 2-gallon pancake compressor are incredibly limited. Maybe there are better ones than we have, but it's loud and runs pretty regularly even doing what I would consider relatively small tasks.

If we were starting from scratch I would buy an electric 18ga brad nailer instead of pneumatic + portable compressor in a heartbeat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rufio posted:

Buying a compressor opens the option to own even more tools, it's a win win

Moar tools for the tool god

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Having access to compressed air is great in concept, but imo the real-world uses for a little 2-gallon pancake compressor are incredibly limited. Maybe there are better ones than we have, but it's loud and runs pretty regularly even doing what I would consider relatively small tasks.

I've gotten more use out of mine filling vehicle tires than I spent on the compressor, to say nothing of actual tool fondlery.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Compressor is nice for cleaning things too. I get a lot of use out of mine. They're also batteries in a way, because you can charge the thing, unplug it, and then haul it off to do work somewhere that there isn't power, which was very handy when I was putting up screens on the end of my greenhouse.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Cleaning is the biggest use mine gets for sure. Particularly cleaning out my table and band saws which is loving annoying without it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Tbf, I have a huge garage door as the 4th wall of my shop so blow off actually does something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Yessssss

https://youtu.be/zjrKrIBaDhE

Hopefully it's 55" tracks so you can actually cut a 4ft wide sheet.