Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

the first part of her name (bucking) is bakkin. so she's likely a clone of whitebeard jr.s "mom"

bakkin being part of MADS and the character on the cover story makes her having a weird copy of whitebeard make a world of sense.

oh poo poo, drat that’s a cool idea if so. Totally recontexts that weird little dope and his mom

Also, goddamn did Lucci get shafted, awakened Kaku looks way the hell cooler than him but part of that is probably the armament haki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

stussy: how many levels of betrayal are you on

like 2 or 3 my dude

stussy: you are like baby, watch this

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i like this twist because it's so out of left field. people already called stussy as vegapunk's secret ally but who would have guessed that she's a clone of bakkin lmao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is that the first time we've seen Bonney's 'Distored Future' ability?

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Are we about to get a Kuma flashback?

There is a literal ball of memories floating there. It's pretty much the first time ever a flashback has a physical plot device for it to occur :v:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anime was right posted:

the first part of her name (bucking) is bakkin. so she's likely a clone of whitebeard jr.s "mom"

bakkin being part of MADS and the character on the cover story makes her having a weird copy of whitebeard make a world of sense.

holy poo poo, also Buckingham Stussy was in Rocks which gives her the opportunity to get some DNA from Whitebeard (also explains why Weevil is so jacked up since she was going solo — seems to be a recurring theme that the other members of MADS produce lesser results without VP assisting)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rannum posted:

stussy: how many levels of betrayal are you on

like 2 or 3 my dude

stussy: you are like baby, watch this

List of One Piece characters who have committed as least two separate betrayals:
  • Apoo (Kidd, Kaidou)
  • Jimbei (WG, Big Mom)
  • Stussy (Du Feld, WG)
  • Teach (Whitebeard, WG)
  • Robin (multiple offscreen organizations, Baroque Works)
  • Caesar (his own subordinates, Big Mom)
  • Nami (Strawhats, Arlong)
  • Kuro (Kaya, his own subordinates)
  • Law (Caesar/Vergo, WG)

Any I've missed? Man, it's a backstabby world out there!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Silver2195 posted:

List of One Piece characters who have committed as least two separate betrayals:
  • Apoo (Kidd, Kaidou)
  • Jimbei (WG, Big Mom)
  • Stussy (Du Feld, WG)
  • Teach (Whitebeard, WG)
  • Robin (multiple offscreen organizations, Baroque Works)
  • Caesar (his own subordinates, Big Mom)
  • Nami (Strawhats, Arlong)
  • Kuro (Kaya, his own subordinates)
  • Law (Caesar/Vergo, WG)

Any I've missed? Man, it's a backstabby world out there!

Betrayal is a pretty common theme for pirate crews, the Strawhats are an extreme outlier in how unwavering their loyalty is for each other. It's pretty much the main reason why antagonists in One Piece dismiss the idea of friendship because of some betrayal they suffered in the past from a close ally.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In fairness a bunch of strawhats have tried betrayal, it just doesn't stick.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Infinitum posted:

Is that the first time we've seen Bonney's 'Distored Future' ability?

when luffy gets hit by bonneys ability it says hes from "a certain timeline" or future, so i think we technically have.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i wonder if all of weevil's stitches are to go along with him being some sort of science experiment. he's probably an attempt at artificially combining whitebeard's dna with some other famous pirate's or something like that? maybe even oars since he has a bit of a resemblance there

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PĂƒÂ„DOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Brandfarlig posted:

Why split a thread with 10 posters?

Because it used to have 50 posters and now those of us who read spoilers frequently just go elsewhere.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So regarding the Clone stuff... What if... And I may say, what if... there is a Rocks Clone around that got modified to have several DFs around?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what the gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Plutonis posted:

So regarding the Clone stuff... What if... And I may say, what if... there is a Rocks Clone around that got modified to have several DFs around?

could potentially explain why he knew what the darkness fruit looked like/did. find it hard to believe it was really in a book explaining devil fruits

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

god drat thats a bad translation

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

could potentially explain why he knew what the darkness fruit looked like/did. find it hard to believe it was really in a book explaining devil fruits

is this ever said? All we know is that Blackbeard refers to the Dark Dark fruit as the king of devil fruits despite being nothing special in its debut appearance in a world with sea prism stone and armament haki. I can belive he read it from a book, but more in the context of a record of bygone tyrant who used its power absorption qualities or whatever

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Last Celebration posted:

is this ever said?

He literally says "I memorized the shape of every Devil Fruit from a book" to Ace.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

doesn't mean he's telling the truth of course though it adds a bit more to the theory since how many people outside of vegapunk had a book about them?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sanji had one but his dad was in MADs so that makes sense, Shanks had one too but it was the version censored by the government

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/tcbscans/status/1616095118146113537?s=46&t=MLauS7aZF2WyCavdumgc7Q

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5603/one-piece-chapter-1072

Tcb release

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Hooray!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Last Celebration posted:

is this ever said? All we know is that Blackbeard refers to the Dark Dark fruit as the king of devil fruits despite being nothing special in its debut appearance in a world with sea prism stone and armament haki. I can belive he read it from a book, but more in the context of a record of bygone tyrant who used its power absorption qualities or whatever

I thought he said the Dark Dark Fruit was the most evil of Devil Fruits.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love that Zoro is done with these weird rear end zoan users and now his captain is one too!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
"my power doesnt last forever on living things"... dozens of terrible theories destroyed forever...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 19, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Can Kuma make dreams and will tangible?? Like, putting them in fruits, or something…??:eek:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

No Wave posted:

"my power doesnt past forever on living things"... dozens of terrible theories destroyed forever...

So is it a time limit, or does it last as long as until the user is defeated?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

You'd think somebody in the WG would've noticed that one of their top agents is the spitting image of a member of the most dangerous pirate crew to ever exist, but I guess that's what you get when you violently memory-hole anything that makes you look bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

THE ROCKS PIRATES?!!!!!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ThingOne posted:

You'd think somebody in the WG would've noticed that one of their top agents is the spitting image of a member of the most dangerous pirate crew to ever exist, but I guess that's what you get when you violently memory-hole anything that makes you look bad.

But the time gap between how Stussey the Rock pirate looked like, and how Stussy the CP0 looks like now is like 20 years. At best, maybe an old hand goes, "hey, she looks kinda familiar?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One Piece Manga Thread: When The Impostor Is Stuss

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ThingOne posted:

These are the morons who invited her and her Whitebeard clone to join the Warlords. Also, Buggy was a Roger and he still got invited too.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Note that in the official English translation, Miss Bakkin is written as Miss Buckin.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bleck posted:

Note that in the official English translation, Miss Bakkin is written as Miss Buckin.

oh wow you're right

seems pretty cut & dry, now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is there a reason kuma is called kuma rather than bear considering his name bartholomew in the original japanese or whatever?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rannum posted:

oh wow you're right

seems pretty cut & dry, now

Wow, so Buckin definitely at least knew Whitebeard, then. Never even considered that her story was less impossible than it seemed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Jose posted:

is there a reason kuma is called kuma rather than bear considering his name bartholomew in the original japanese or whatever?

Given that it's how his name is written, I'm going to guess it's specified by Oda.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Delphisage posted:

These are the morons who invited her and her Whitebeard clone to join the Warlords. Also, Buggy was a Roger and he still got invited too.

Yeah, but the Warlords were always supposed to be an enemies to sorta-allies kind of thing. Letting one into your top intelligence agency is completely different. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, the Celestial Dragons being so proud/paranoid that they've hamstrung their own secret service is a great twist.

Unrelatedly, I think it's really cool that they got a trans VA to dub Kiku
https://twitter.com/GhaspeyVO/status/1606420265235517440?cxt=HHwWgMDQ1Yquk8ssAAAA

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kuma meaning bear has entered the normal lexicon I think. Like Lobo meaning wolf etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

hatty posted:

Sanji had one but his dad was in MADs so that makes sense, Shanks had one too but it was the version censored by the government
Oh. Oh! Of course the devil fruit book was a Vegapunk/MADS thing!

I don't think it's confirmed that Shanks had an actual book, did he? We know the name Gomu Gomu no Mi from somewhere, but is there any evidence for the whole censored book idea?

Because if Shanks didn't have a book, it seems plausible that Blackbeard having a book is evidence of his connection to MADS. On this tenuous evidence I am all in on the Blackbeard Clone theory. Really a MADS connection makes sense in any case considering his special knowledge of Devil Fruits is definitely part of his backstory.

I am honestly impressed that the horrible gag of Sanji fantasizing about the invisibility fruit back on Thriller Bark was, with enough context, a hint at Blackbeard's true nature.

ThingOne posted:

But she wasn't a member of Roger's crew?

The Rocks Pirates were clearly powerful and up to poo poo the World Government would find unforgivable (menacing Tenryubito), but it's not like they found the One Piece or anything really dangerous.