Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ThingOne posted:

Yeah, but the Warlords were always supposed to be an enemies to sorta-allies kind of thing. Letting one into your top intelligence agency is completely different. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, the Celestial Dragons being so proud/paranoid that they've hamstrung their own secret service is a great twist.

Well, Lucci and Kaku were also traitors and being hunted by the WG, the last we saw of them before the time skip. I guess the CP0 recruiters are very forgiving, fitting for a spy organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Eiba posted:

Oh. Oh! Of course the devil fruit book was a Vegapunk/MADS thing!

I don't think it's confirmed that Shanks had an actual book, did he? We know the name Gomu Gomu no Mi from somewhere, but is there any evidence for the whole censored book idea?

Because if Shanks didn't have a book, it seems plausible that Blackbeard having a book is evidence of his connection to MADS. On this tenuous evidence I am all in on the Blackbeard Clone theory. Really a MADS connection makes sense in any case considering his special knowledge of Devil Fruits is definitely part of his backstory.

I am honestly impressed that the horrible gag of Sanji fantasizing about the invisibility fruit back on Thriller Bark was, with enough context, a hint at Blackbeard's true nature.

Oh maybe Shanks didn’t have one, I misremembered this panel I think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hatty posted:

Kuma meaning bear has entered the normal lexicon I think. Like Lobo meaning wolf etc.

now i understand why homer wanted to bring him back

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

cool time to read it again

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
So, what do we think the the big Kuma-ball that Bonney's about to touch really contains?
Doubtful it's actually just 'pain' as with Zoro, maybe Kuma's painful memories but it isn't exactly specified that whatever was expelled came from him - got a feeling we're due a big 'ol flashback from it anyway!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sundayturks posted:

So, what do we think the the big Kuma-ball that Bonney's about to touch really contains?
Doubtful it's actually just 'pain' as with Zoro, maybe Kuma's painful memories but it isn't exactly specified that whatever was expelled came from him - got a feeling we're due a big 'ol flashback from it anyway!

Bonnie says she knows his powers better than anyone and then declares it to be his memories

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vegapunk was probably bluffing when he said "Pain", yeah. I do wonder if his whole personality is inside the bubble too and he will reawaken when touching it once he escapes wherever he is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My guess: the bubble actually contains Vegapunk's memories of the situation with Kuma, and the reason he insists that he can't tell Bonney why he did it is because he literally doesn't know why he did it, because Kuma made him promise to "forget" and not look at it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sundayturks posted:

His power, his pleasure, his pain

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

His actual name is Bisoromi Bear, we've been over this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rannum posted:

oh wow you're right

seems pretty cut & dry, now

ahhhhhh gently caress that pwns. oda does it again!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bleck posted:

My guess: the bubble actually contains Vegapunk's memories of the situation with Kuma, and the reason he insists that he can't tell Bonney why he did it is because he literally doesn't know why he did it, because Kuma made him promise to "forget" and not look at it.

this is a shockingly great theory

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bleck posted:

my guess with the soul talk right before it is that it's similar to that Kuma's soul, memories, personality.

Bonney touching it when kuma is homing into it would be bad

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Yeah I'm thinking the bubble is all of Kuma's memories and personality, separated from himself before his "Pacifistication", and he's now been reactivated and returning to reclaim his memories after spending time gaining info while a slave.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Bonney has to be a Linlin clone

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

No she doesn't

getting strong Jolyne vibes from Bonney in this chapter

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bonney making herself buff by time poo poo to threaten Vegapunk is a great moment.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

MorningMoon posted:

I personally find that theory (raised for the first time I've seen by a goon upthread) that Blackbeard is a clone very interesting, potentially the clone that is referenced at the very start of this chapter. We're obviously supposed to infer that Vegapunk is talking to Stussy because it is revealed that Stussy is a clone right at the end of the same chapter, but Oda is known for using a trick where other characters are talking about a situation or a person in very vague terms and you're supposed to infer from the context around it in the chapter that one thing is going on when in actuality it's something entirely different.

Now that being said, I don't want to get into a situation where everyone in one piece is a clone of someone else, I think that would be a terrible idea if it turned out that Vegapunk cloned a whole bunch of people, but Blackbeard being a clone and growing up with Vegapunk would potentially explain alot of the known background of the character being super knowledgeable about world history and devil fruits, having abnormal physiology, and potentially having multiple "twins".

***ok I completely blanked on Vegapunk addressing a girl in that first panel.. so obviously not Blackbeard. I still think it's an interesting theory though.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 19, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/fchw33/status/1616114025280212994?t=6ncV-AokUdnKVakBz7_-Yw&s=19

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

:captainpop:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

loving lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Odoes it again

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That’s insane and also not that surprising lol

Calling it now, Blackbeard is a Rocks clone

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

blackbeard being a clone would also explain why even though he's a d, he has not properly exhibited d traits like fearing death and stuff. whatever the will of d is it wasnt naturally passed to him so its either warped or missing entirely

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jose posted:

is there a reason kuma is called kuma rather than bear considering his name bartholomew in the original japanese or whatever?

ask nami

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Yeah, in general proper nouns (names, etc) shouldn't be translated.

Regarding the chapter, everyone who insisted Stussy couldn't possibly be Vegapunk's ally can go suck a giraffe

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Starsfan posted:

Now that being said, I don't want to get into a situation where everyone in one piece is a clone of someone else, I think that would be a terrible idea if it turned out that Vegapunk cloned a whole bunch of people

Actually, your post has given me a very strange and probably completely false idea.What if Luffy's memories of Sabo were implanted by Kuma, and he was never Luffy's childhood friend?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Delphisage posted:

Actually, your post has given me a very strange and probably completely false idea.What if Luffy's memories of Sabo were implanted by Kuma, and he was never Luffy's childhood friend?

That's dumb as hell

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's dumb as hell

Yeah, but that's what I thought of.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just saw people on another site point out something interesting. Big Mom was in Rocks, as was the original Buckingham Stussy (who now goes by Miss Bakkin). Du Feld says something implying that Stussy is older than she looks. Could it be that Big Mom and Du Feld think that Stussy is the original Buckingham Stussy, and don't realize that Miss Bakkin is the original? I don't think they'd trust her if they knew she was a clone created by Vegapunk.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
We're gonna get so many dumb unhinged theories out of this :allears:

Duval is a failed clone of Sanji!!
Gin is a failed clone of Law!!
Tashigi is a clone of Kuina!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I swear to god if Luffy is a clone of Roger that Dragon adopted I'm gonna be very upset

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

BAAAAAABBBBBbbbbBBYyyyyYYYYYyyyy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oda introduces one clone and now everyone starts spouting just the worst theories one could imagine.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Waffleman_ posted:

lmao

"no don't touch that or you'll receive your dad's memories of loving your mom!"

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Star Platinum posted:

We're gonna get so many dumb unhinged theories out of this :allears:

Duval is a failed clone of Sanji!!
Gin is a failed clone of Law!!
Tashigi is a clone of Kuina!!

The floodgates have certainly been opened.. I mean when you introduce memory transference / displacement and clones in the same chapter, there's basically no end to what someone can come up with

and yes the clones were technically introduced earlier with Judge but this is the first time it's become apparent that somebody who is now a prominent actor in the storyline was actually a clone that was created decades previously.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 19, 2023

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sundayturks posted:

Makes me wonder if Zoro really did just get 'pain'

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Plebian Parasite posted:

Makes me wonder if Zoro really did just get 'pain'

I think there's a few possibilities:

1. Kuma can "push" other intangible things out of people, so "pain" and "memories" could be distinct as well as whatever else (other emotions?)
2. Kuma specifically pushes "memories" out and what he pushed out of Luffy was his body's "memory" of the pain he felt
3. Kuma pushes some third distinct type of essense out of people that consists of a mix of both "pain" and "memories" and maybe even other stuff

The reveals have all been super poignant and built on layers of pre-established context so I am sure whatever the answer is will be very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Bonney making herself buff by time poo poo to threaten Vegapunk is a great moment.
So much crazy stuff this chapter that I nearly forgot how cool Bonney was. Her ability is really cool! I didn't think it was all that useful at first, but her fighting style and being able to rust away the lock on that door were neat. Bonney is cool.

jassa posted:

Regarding the chapter, everyone who insisted Stussy couldn't possibly be Vegapunk's ally can go suck a giraffe
I wasn't gonna do too much gloating but it's fun to be right about something that people insisted couldn't be. I did like the prediction that all she'd do by betraying CP0 was get full of holes, when it was in fact she who was putting holes in her former comrade.