Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Face Dancers and at what point they become indistinguishable from the people they portray

e: Dunesnipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCZ4dASNuA

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I hope they find a way to work some hip gyrations into Feyd's behaviour.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

That's the point of the winged underwear, it acts as a stabilizer to prevent unnecessary oscillation

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xealot posted:

Austin Butler is not literally Elvis Presley. Also, Dune isn’t literally shot on a desert planet? hosed up if true.

Wait what

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

We are working on it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

well why not posted:

He's not 'sort of Elvis' any more than Taron Egerton is Elton John. Actors do not become the people they portray.

You’re sort of a dipshit

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Mister Speaker posted:

They would have to; it's literally how he tries to kill Paul at the end.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

They would have to; it's literally how he tries to kill Paul at the end.

:thejoke:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All this Elvis talk got me dusting off the classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ufZhILAxNc

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Xealot posted:

Mick Jagger, Sting, and now sort of Elvis. Can't wait for a Dune reboot in 2050 where the actor who plays Jungkook in a BTS biopic plays Feyd.

Harry Styles might have been a Feyd contender plus he's literally Harry Styles but unfortunately the evidence is not stacking up in his favor in terms of acting talent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mister Speaker posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's the point of the winged underwear, it acts as a stabilizer to prevent unnecessary oscillation

Thrust without rhythm to avoid the worm.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Austin Butler is an abomination possessed by the ancestral memory of Elvis.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Lisa Marie Presley too :(

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Lisa Marie Presley makes a cameo appearance as Dr. Yueh's wife.

just kidding, I'm a firm believer that the creature was his wife after she was "taken apart like a doll"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

just kidding, I'm a firm believer that the creature was his wife after she was "taken apart like a doll"

I was never a fan of this interpretation because it makes the world of the film seem so small. it stinks of modern star wars' compulsion to connect everything to luke skywalker and darth vader

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

kalel posted:

I was never a fan of this interpretation because it makes the world of the film seem so small. it stinks of modern star wars' compulsion to connect everything to luke skywalker and darth vader

I think it's pretty obvious. The only reason they didn't reference it again is because it couldn't fit with a PG-13 rating.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I think it's pretty obvious. The only reason they didn't reference it again is because it couldn't fit with a PG-13 rating.

Nah, I'm with kalel.

It's more interesting and horrific if the Baron doesn't even know which body-horror monster is Yueh's wife anymore. He's got like fifty of them and removing personhood is kind of the point : what, you think gimp masks grow on trees?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Guild navigator: We have just folded space from Geidi Prime. Many gimp mask trees on Geidi Prime. New gimp mask trees. Better than those on Caladan. You are transparent.

Emperor: :sickos:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I assume it's meant to be ambiguous. On one hand it's human, or at least human enough for the Voice to work on, and the only specific human the movie talks about in terms of potential body horrors is Yueh's wife. On the other, the Baron's dialog in the scene where he kills Yueh implies that his wife is already dead. Either way, it's pretty disturbing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a vague understanding that the sort of things Yueh is alluding to isn't entirely out of the ordinary for the Baron, and the "pet" is something generally along those same lines.

For me it'd be like if a character said their wife drove away one day and left them, and then later on a car drives by.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I assume it's meant to be ambiguous. On one hand it's human, or at least human enough for the Voice to work on, and the only specific human the movie talks about in terms of potential body horrors is Yueh's wife. On the other, the Baron's dialog in the scene where he kills Yueh implies that his wife is already dead. Either way, it's pretty disturbing.

Is the movie really presenting this as a mystery, though? The suggestion makes sense, but I don't see why the hosed up spider-gimp needs or even invites an explanation. It's some abject, suffering monster the Baron has because he's a psychopath. Yueh's wife or not, that thing's existence is nightmarish. The Baron is just as horrifying regardless of who or what it is.

kalel posted:

it makes the world of the film seem so small.

This is the reason I don't like the idea. Maybe he is sadistic enough to turn his hostage into a spider-gimp, but is Yueh worth that much effort? Doesn't the Baron have his fingers in way more pies than just this specific situation with House Atreides?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For me... It was spiceday...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah you’d think a Bene Gesserit adept would be more useful alive, like Hawat.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The gimp just serves as an illustration of the horrible poo poo the Harkonnens do. So Yeuh’s wife, or any other prisoners they take, could have suffered a similarly nightmarish fate.

If it’s specifically Yeuh’s wife that would be a bit dumb, because she’s just not gonna be that important. But yeah, that’s the kind of body horror tech the Harkonnens are capable of when they “take someone apart like a doll,” a clear illustration.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Baron fuckin' hates the Bene Gesserit, though, and mentats don't have a literally-compelling voice.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there's no deeper meaning. the spider gimp is in the film because dennis villynoovy has a fetish for spiders and gimps. qed

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kalel posted:

there's no deeper meaning. the spider gimp is in the film because dennis villynoovy has a fetish for spiders and gimps. qed

Those decadent francophones.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kalel posted:

Saw Enemy. Spider fetish confirmed.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah you’d think a Bene Gesserit adept would be more useful alive, like Hawat.

disposablewords posted:

The Baron fuckin' hates the Bene Gesserit, though, and mentats don't have a literally-compelling voice.

Seems like Mohiam/Rampling would have interacted with it a bit differently if it was a, shall we say, "Twisted Sister."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JohnnySavs posted:

Seems like Mohiam/Rampling would have interacted with it a bit differently if it was a, shall we say, "Twisted Sister."

Are you saying she, wouldn't have taken it

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Chekhov's spider doll

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Well they are the fiercest killers in the animal kingdom.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sebmojo posted:

Are you saying she, wouldn't have taken it

She would have made sure it

stayed hungry

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Was the producer behind wild wild west involved with dune in any way?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Was the producer behind wild wild west involved with dune in any way?

I'd say he got things out of his system with that movie, but who knows.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd say he got things out of his system with that movie, but who knows.

The world machine in Man of Steel is kinda spidery, but otherwise he’s done stuff like Ali and A Star is Born since then, which were not spidery.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

The world machine in Man of Steel is kinda spidery

Still living his best life :unsmith:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xealot posted:

I still don't get this movie. It was really nice to see Toronto not trying to be some other city for once, and it was a compelling plot, but I really don't get the ending.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xealot posted:

IIRC the Dune one is an homage to a specific French sci-fi comic he/the effects people like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC the Dune one is an homage to a specific French sci-fi comic he/the effects people like

A lot of people speculate that it’s an homage to the Tarantula Wolf from The Metabarons, but I haven’t seen Villeneuve or the effects team explicitly state that it is.

Also, that comic is by Jodorowsky and uses a lot of ideas from his unmade Dune film. Like, a lot a lot.