Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Prof. Banks posted:

The insane shipping on the p-Bandai stuff makes just buying one of something ridiculous. I was about to get a Spartan, but looking at the $40 total when I was checking out and thinking about all the other things I could get for that stayed my hand.

Same. I almost ordered one from the June batch but said gently caress it. Gotta order em all of GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I think I got the last GM Spartan, the website updated to sold out immediately after my receipt came in.

Just couldn't pass up a tactical GM with a Gatling gun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kotobukiyas/status/1616314605323816960?s=46&t=JQAFCpUjRTYEL89M2-qB7Q

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure what to search for or look for, but I have a few nips like this now, single blade:

However, they are not that comfortable to hold, my hand keeps sliding towards the nips, because there's not much...traction? meaning I have to constantly re-adjust as I'm using them.

I have double blade ones I had bought originally, and they are very comfortable to hold, additionally they commonly have this flare here that juts out, preventing your fingers from slipping forward too far:

The rubber is also of a different type, I guess if I had to make comparisons, the top is using similar material to a baseball bat handle (which is fine if you're constantly applying pressure, but you aren't with nips except when cutting, not exactly when holding between cuts), and the bottom is using silicone you'd find on kitchen silicone. Incidentally, the latter ends up being more....tacky, meaning it slips less when you loosen your grip.

I wonder if I can just homebrew some solution, or maybe there's a 3d printed thing I can slide the handle part into?

I looked around but even godhands are using the top design rather than bottom design, and I'm starting to get a little bit annoyed, because while the top cuts better, it's not more comfortable to hold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can strip the existing grip material off the top type and plastidip them or wrap them in skateboard tape or something. The grips are just plastic or rubber around a metal stem. Some like cheap examples of the bottom type just have a small metal tab that projects into a larger plastic part that is the actual grip.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just wrap a thick elastic band around where you want your fingers to sit?

How do you hold the nippers? I haven't come across the same problem as you, but with all my nippers with the leg that sits in your fingers I have index and middle finger on the outside, and the other two on the inside. Seems to hold them in place enough.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 21, 2023

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The wire is usually in a bag independent of the runners, yeah. Sounds like you might have accidentally thrown it out.

seems i probably did. luckily my local hobbytown stays really well stocked and i made a lucky guess at a 1mm gauge wire that happened to be the exact right size! so i'm back in business.

overall though, unless you're a big gaogaigar fan (which i consider myself to be), i can't really recommend this kit. it is not fun. it's got some really fiddly connections and if youre anal about panel lines like me there are huge swaths of intricate detail and you cant really get away with "well i can skip this because it's an interior piece" because it will inevitably be exposed as part of the transformation/combination process. it looks great, but it is taking me forever and i will be happy to finish it and pose it and be done with it frankly.

in better news i upgraded my nu and sazabi displays. im a stickler for details, and even though the official rg nu effect set came with a yellow jet effect, i watched the fight in CCA and the nu's funnels actually have blue thrusters, and sazabi's are yellow. but i guess bandai only printed the blue effect set once, because it is out of stock EVERYWHERE. i tracked down one tiny shop in PA and took a chance and they had it. the sets only come with three effect parts, so i also frankensteined some clear parts from the effect runners and some action base runners to make the remaining 3 funnels from each kit look like they're part way through the process of being deployed. i'm really happy with how it came out

tl,dr; gunpla is freedom

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

jesus christ

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Gripweed posted:

jesus christ

Super excited for that thing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished another, HGGBB 02 Gundam Livelance Heaven

I especially like it's based on Deathscythe Hell and some other one I'm not familiar with

Puddin posted:

Just wrap a thick elastic band around where you want your fingers to sit?

How do you hold the nippers? I haven't come across the same problem as you, but with all my nippers with the leg that sits in your fingers I have index and middle finger on the outside, and the other two on the inside. Seems to hold them in place enough.

Here's how I naturally want to hold them:

Here's what slips less (but it is akin to holding a brush at the middle point, kind of awkward):

Here's how I'd prefer to hold them if they had better handles:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

JoeGlassJAw posted:

tl,dr; gunpla is freedom

Fantastic work, these look great!

I really need to start learning to pose/display my gunplas better, it's so hard to keep them from just looking stiff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished this bad boy I got from TGSS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JoeGlassJAw posted:

tl,dr; gunpla is freedom

The funnels look great but I think I like the bits erupting from Sazabi even a little more

boz
Oct 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Finished another, HGGBB 02 Gundam Livelance Heaven

I especially like it's based on Deathscythe Hell and some other one I'm not familiar with

Here's how I naturally want to hold them:

Here's what slips less (but it is akin to holding a brush at the middle point, kind of awkward):

Here's how I'd prefer to hold them if they had better handles:

I wasn't sure how I hold mine when I cut (kind of how you can't remember a number or password sometimes without being at the keyboard)

Just tried and this is how I do it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Actually super-happy because over the week I managed to secure a pair of God Hands and a Qubeley Emberill at retail price (absolutely gently caress whoever is asking for £120 for the Godhands and £140 for the Qubeley).

New plan is to buy a pack of spoons and practise candy coating because my dream for that kit is something high performance racecar-like. Might keep it as Haman's colours with some generic Zeon decals or see what else looks good.

edit; That Sazabi and Nu setup looks great but I believe that real-life anti-gravity will eventually be created by a gunpla modeller who got tired of clear bit-holders everywhere on his dioramas.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 21, 2023

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
The SPN ultimate 5.0s? At retail you say? in GBP? HOW/where?

After asking the thread for advice on painting without airbrushes I gave up and spent way too much money on one and accepted having to spend an hour breaking it down/setting it up near a tiny window every time. The cost of the compressor and the brush wasn't too bad, but throw in a spray booth, cleaning products, gloves, a painters mask, etc etc and it ended up about doubling. And I probably still need to add another LED light or two, if I can figure out somewhere to put them. Maybe an extra strip or two for inside the booth. This is going to be a lean month.

Replacing colors seems easy enough, though I do need to practice the basics of mix/pressure/distance more, but I don't think I'll ever learn the fine control required for even basic shading stuff or even good masking so I should probably switch over to single-action. It's also a bit tricky to control the pressure on the sparmax 610 compressor - the regulator gauge is REALLY fiddly and I have to spray air for a while to get it settle to the true reading.

Just did my first set of clear gloss sprays. Ended up panicking and doing three kits because I mixed too much using Don Surantos' 2 thinner:1 flow improver:3 varnish mix. Should have just tipped the excess whilst I focused on one kit. I can't tell if it's gone on evenly enough - I guess I'll find out in a few hours when it dries and I try some brush-on enamel panel liners.

A full vallejo stack (undercoat, paint, gloss/matte, cleaners and thinners) so far has worked well enough, but I couldn't get any light gray panel washes (for a dark suit) in acrylic so enamels it is. No tamiya stuff around so I'll have to thin some AK.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nullkigan posted:

Yep. Wafuu.com has some in stock for £46 which with shipping to my area came to about £60. They're due to arrive on Monday so quick shipping too. Hilariously quick compared to the MG Unicorn and some panel liner/thinner which I ordered from an EU store last month and is still to arrive.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 21, 2023

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

SnakesRevenge posted:

Fantastic work, these look great!

I really need to start learning to pose/display my gunplas better, it's so hard to keep them from just looking stiff.

thanks! i think i'm ok at it inherently but for this one i literally googled "rg nu gundam pose." just steal poses from other people! you'll learn what looks good and what doesnt.

Phy posted:

The funnels look great but I think I like the bits erupting from Sazabi even a little more

thanks, that's my favorite part too. i had a eureka moment where i was like "i bet these clear parts would fit in here" and i'm glad they did

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Nullkigan posted:

Here you go: https://www.ilovegunpla.co.uk/product-page/godhand-spn120-ultimate-nippers-5-0

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This was an exciting quick build

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do you have any other sites you normally check for UK/EU gunpla? I'm gathering a list to comb through every month or so for good deals.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pierson posted:

Do you have any other sites you normally check for UK/EU gunpla? I'm gathering a list to comb through every month or so for good deals.

Sure, here's what I have bookmarked.

UK Based as far as I know:
https://www.ilovegunpla.co.uk/
https://shoptopdeckinn.co.uk/
https://www.jlgunplauk.co.uk/
https://www.gundamuk.com/
https://www.gundamshop.co.uk/
https://www.gundammad.co.uk/home.php
https://www.kikatek.com/
https://www.delta-h.co.uk/
https://modelkitsltd.co.uk/
https://oeshop.co.uk/
https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/

Based in Ireland:
https://hobbyfrontline.com/

And this site is supposed to trawl all the various UK gunpla sellers to help you find models:
https://www.gunplalink.com/

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's great stuff, thanks Lumina, I had a bunch of those but not some others. I don't think I actually have any you haven't mentioned there except regular model shops like https://www.kentmodels.co.uk/ or https://northeastmodelcentre.co.uk/ but those are more for supplies and tools than actual gunpla.

edit: Looking through manuals now to get ready to paint and making a shopping list. By any chance are there charts or guides out there for helping you make the basic pots of color into other shades? Like if a guide says I want blue gray is there a place I can check that will tell me "just add X amount of blue and y amount of black to your regular gray to get there" so I don't need to spend another £2? Like £2 is a small amount of cash for sure but I can definitely see this adding up.

Also when a model needs only a literal dab of a color (like green for eyes or maybe black for a raised edge or something) is it even possible to thin or do you just dab the paint right on?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 22, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

IG-88 posted:

#6 - MG - MS-06R-1A ZAKU II - 5063572

Decided to post a pic of my last build while the newest settles a bit.

#7 - HG - The Witch from Mercury - Chuchu's Demi Trainer - 5063347

Top coat drying on this centaur motherfucker up next:

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 23, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How was that (centaur) to build? that's the last one I have in my backlog

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How was that (centaur) to build? that's the last one I have in my backlog

The building is fine but I’m obviously still new to all of this. There’s only a few stickers. I will say building 4 of the same legs is kinda boring. I do look forward to panel lining and posing with the bow though.

I really liked applying decals so I’m trying to work through the HGs I have and practice some different things on them before moving on to MG and above strictly.

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 23, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ed: wrong thread

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What's the most unlikely/inappropriate/abnormal situation you build your Gunpla in?

I've noticed snap building during big all-hands (online) meetings at work is quite a good time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Asteroid Alert posted:

What's the most unlikely/inappropriate/abnormal situation you build your Gunpla in?

I've noticed snap building during big all-hands (online) meetings at work is quite a good time.

I've mentioned it before, but since you're asking. On an airline flight, in coach. :-) Next up, is at a family gathering when the inlaws don't pay attention to you. (I built a r/c car one time during one particuarly bad easter..)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've snapped together some basic kits on my desk at work. Luckily it's a pretty nerdy place so it doesn't feel too out of the ordinary. I've also repaired several PS2s and controllers at my desk and nobody really even notices.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Nerobro posted:

I've mentioned it before, but since you're asking. On an airline flight, in coach. :-) Next up, is at a family gathering when the inlaws don't pay attention to you. (I built a r/c car one time during one particuarly bad easter..)

Wow, how did you manage to take off the parts off the runners? Xacto knifes and nippers might not be TSA -friendly.

RillAkBea posted:

I've snapped together some basic kits on my desk at work. Luckily it's a pretty nerdy place so it doesn't feel too out of the ordinary. I've also repaired several PS2s and controllers at my desk and nobody really even notices.

Sweet! I think that's a cool place to do it. We're hot desking at my company, so can't really do that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
MG Nu ver Ka. came today and oh man I knew it was a big kit but I wasn't prepared for how big. It dwarves every other box on my shelf.

edit; looool my HG Aerial came as well and it's like David and Goliath

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 23, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So do all P Bandai releases occasionally return? That Spartan did, it seems.

Im asking because if that is the case I can just tell this to my FOMO to shut it up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've been paying attention to vendors since December (about the same time as you really) and I've seen a ton of it come in and out of circulation while looking for specific suits, and every forum I check always says the same thing; nothing ever truly goes out of print. You may need a bit of patience or luck but whatever you want will come around eventually.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
If it's new and popular in its first offering like the Rose, GM Spartan, F90, etc. it will usually be available again in the near future. Older things like the Jesta Cannon and Hazel MGs are less frequent reprints, but will still be available at some point. Gundam Base items like the clear color and special coating variants usually only appear for conventions or other special events.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

TFW you think you can quickly prep a piece for seam line removal before you go to work and then drop it and create more cleaning work by touching the glue in your sleepy state :negative:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:hmmyes: thanks my droogs.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Wow, how did you manage to take off the parts off the runners? Xacto knifes and nippers might not be TSA -friendly.

Sweet! I think that's a cool place to do it. We're hot desking at my company, so can't really do that.

TSA lets any hand tool under 9" through. No power tools though. :-) Nobody seemed to care I had a craft knife out on the flight. NOT THAT I RECOMEND DOING IT. I bring snacks for seat mates and such so people are appeased.

I rebuilt the stator for my motorcycle while working in the NOC overnights. That included stripping the old copper off, and winding the new copper on to it. ... that stator works to this day. shoot, that might be 17 years ago now?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Pierson posted:

edit: Looking through manuals now to get ready to paint and making a shopping list. By any chance are there charts or guides out there for helping you make the basic pots of color into other shades? Like if a guide says I want blue gray is there a place I can check that will tell me "just add X amount of blue and y amount of black to your regular gray to get there" so I don't need to spend another £2? Like £2 is a small amount of cash for sure but I can definitely see this adding up.

Also when a model needs only a literal dab of a color (like green for eyes or maybe black for a raised edge or something) is it even possible to thin or do you just dab the paint right on?

The manual will tell you what colors in what ratios to use, but they're specifically the Mr. Color lacquer line. There are charts floating around that convert Mr Color colors into their closest approximations in other lines like Tamiya, but they can be hit and miss. I don't know of anything that gives mixing ratios for basic colors into what the manual calls for.

That said, you can make pretty much any paint line work if you learn to eyeball color mixes and just play around. Nobody is going to give you poo poo if your colors aren't exact matches or anything. Just have fun with it!

For dabbing onto something like eyes, it depends on the paint, but usually if it's just a dot I'll drop it on straight unthinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Hello, and welcome to Baby's First Gunpla - an effortpost by BaronVanAwesome about the 1/100 Scale MG Shining Gundam

---------------------------------------

"Nerdy model kits", I wrote on my Secret Santa list at work, assuming I'd get some form of Warhammer or maybe a model car kit. I instead received my very first Gundam model, the 1/100 Scale MG Shining Gundam by Bandai.

I've been doing Warhammer forever, but gunpla is a big blind spot for me - I don't watch a lot of anime these days, but Gundam Wing was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid. I ended up watching G Gundam AFTER Wing, and fully assumed as an 11-year-old or whatever it was the sequel - it didn't make sense, but I was pretty sure the Shining Gundam could beat the Altron.

Please come with me as I comment on random stuff from a very, very exciting first build! Some things I really liked, and some things...were made of an awful rubber.

I loved this insert when I opened the box - I'd been using Google Translate on my phone to translate the Japanese, but I'm not sure what the gold lettering "behind" the mech on the left is - if anyone has that, would like to know.

Ah, the delicious innards. Everything was well-packed, but - plastic bags?

Here's everything laid out! I really don't understand the plastic bags on the sprues - it seems wasteful, to be honest, though it certainly helps it feel "premium". Coming from the Warhammer side of things, anyway, where packaging is mostly "we shoved these sprues in a box"

The build itself went pretty well! I knew I wanted to paint the kit from the start, but I'm glad ~the internet recommended I assemble the kit fully first - I swore during the entire assembly phase that this was insanity, but it WAS fun to put it together AND it really did help me figure out what I could save time on when painting.

Two (and a half) issues came up during assembly:

1) Parts with screws in them; I'd read beforehand that these were tough, and while they weren't as bad as I was fearing, I was terrified of losing them, and several of them were way, way too close to the same size. I wasn't worried about over-tightening, and the end result was fine - the model was pose-able with tight joints.

2) RUBBER

Seriously, rubber? I actually DO like it on the feet - this thing can grip pretty well. The problem is on the hands - there's an awful seam going right up the top of the "thumb", and I just couldn't get it to look right without hacking it all up. Beh. Why would you possibly make this part out of rubber?! Did they intend you to actually punch things with it?????? LIKE A CHILD'S TOY????????

2a) RUBBER GUY

This motherfucker, Domon Kasshu, is cast in what I think is the worst material I've ever worked with on a model kit. I'm a sick person that likes pewter models; I even like resin models sometimes, too. This rubber-rear end plastic is hell.

This thing has the worst seam line, directly down the side of the model, on what is supposed to be a skintight jumpsuit thing. Why? Why even include this thing? The instruction manual has it painted, which - why? How?

In addition to being bendy and seam-lined, you have to insert these awful plug pieces in - which naturally went flying and were instantly lost forever. I threw Mr. Kasshu back in the box and haven't looked back.

I would have been much, much happier with a tiny crappy 1/100 scale guy just standing.

And here it is, assembled! I really, really like the glowing green hands it comes with - this'll be in a glass case for the most part, so that'll be my ending "pose" to work towards.

After assembly, I took some photos to get an idea of how everything came together, and immediately disassembled to start prepping for paint.

Metallics were primed with Vallejo Gloss Black Primer, with white/blue parts primed in AK Grey Primer, and Red with GSW's Red Rust Primer. When doing the kit, I wanted it to be a bit more "realistic" - I knew from the start I wanted to paint the "yellow" parts in gold - perfect for the "Shining" part of Shining Gundam!

I also used a bit of a deeper red than intended - Vallejo's Mecha SZ Red, with Vallejo Mecha Blue as my blue base. I'd originally intended to get some colour separation on parts by using Vallejo Mecha Offwhite on some parts and Vallejo Mecha Pure White on others, but the effect was way, way too subtle - I'll use a very light grey next time. Skeleton/frame parts were Vallejo Metal Color...something? Burnt something? And gold was Vallejo Metal Color Gold.

Everything received a gloss coat of Vallejo Mecha Gloss Varnish, before I panel lined with Tamiya Panel Liner Black. The thinner/spirits I was using for oil washes wasn't doing the trick, so for cleanup next time I'll be looking for a different brand.

The kit came with stickers, which I promptly put back in the box. I sadly couldn't find any waterslides of the MG scale Shining Gundam, so I ended up buying a third party God Gundam waterslide sheet to get at the King of Hearts logo and some caution symbols. Everything was hit with a coat of Vallejo Mecha Matte, my usual Warhammer varnish, to protect it and kill the gloss.

And here's my final action shot!

I'm so, so happy with how it came out - I had a chance to dive into my nostalgia, learned a bunch of new modelling skills, and killed a couple afternoons.

Lessons Learned
1) Micro Sol and Micro Set - :cripes: I got these backwards when I first put on the waterslides for this kit, and couldn't understand why the gently caress they were just SHREDDING. Worst of all? I've used both like a hundred times before on other models, UGH. Sadly, this peeled paint in my effort to de-shred them, so I had to touch up a couple times - I'll be the only one that notices this, but I still got grumpy.

2) Stickers universally suck - the kit came with a small sticker set - the chest piece green orb was "okay" - I really like the effect of it matte coated, and installing it was easy.

The EYES were a bit tougher - had to use tweezers and a toothpick to get it to stick, and even then I've caught it lifting - again, the matte coat at the end is helping it stay in place now.

I completely left off the black sticker "stripes" it came with - these were meant to go on the ankle guards and waist skirt sections - again, I tried and had these lift up almost immediately, and in an effort to protect the paint, just panel lined these sections.

3) Chips and scratches - I really, really need to learn when to walk away from those small errors - trying to "fix" a chip or touch up spots ended up making several worse, with one paint "fleck" on the face really bugging me. You probably didn't notice from my first picture, and I don't think it's ultimately a big deal. I also noticed I missed a small part of the antenna piece as well - I'm OK with this, I tell myself

4) I'd read online about people either ultrasonic cleaning their plastic first, or even sanding everything - I don't know if this would have been "worth it" to me as a time investment, but I hope basic plastic doesn't need that. Again from the warhammer zone I'm used to cleaning resin parts, but the thought of cleaning a kit on sprues seemed bizarre to me.

Phew! That was a great time, thanks for coming along with me. I had a great time doing this model! I'm gonna flip back to some LOTR minis or some 40K first, but...

Backlog ready!!!