Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The "we're getting and compiling feedback so we can figure out what to work on next!" is a hilariously transparent attempt at buying time. You can't tell me that entire office doesn't know the laundry list of poo poo that needs work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

The "we're getting and compiling feedback so we can figure out what to work on next!" is a hilariously transparent attempt at buying time. You can't tell me that entire office doesn't know the laundry list of poo poo that needs work.

There was also a quote around here somewhere about 'we had a plan but then we saw the feedback and had to change directions' which is pretty funny, for that to be even remotely true I have to imagine it refers to the store and how much people hate it but I suspect it's just more hand wringing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Now if they don't fix stuff we'll start blaming each other for giving the wrong feedback... brilliant move

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The most amusing part about watching fatshark trainwrecks is how when most companies will see a fuckup and will then put out a message apologizing for the fuckup and that they are putting in practices that will prevent similar fuckups in the future, fatshark will learn absolutely nothing from the experience and might even unlearn a few lessons by the end.

Basically this but with programming games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/oueC8Nq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4eI87hO.mp4
crunch

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The devs absolutely beefed it releasing in this state and then going on vacation for six weeks. if there had been a January 1 update saying “we know people are really unhappy with the loot system, we plan to add X feature and hope to have it done by Y date even though we may miss it, we’ll update you as we work” then there would be a lot less ire

Yes devs should crunch more. :nallears:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ijyt posted:

Making a single announcement isn't really very crunchy...

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer
That's exactly the thing, all they need to do is just acknowledge that they are aware of how incomplete and broken certain parts of the game are. Just apologize for not delivering crafting fully, say that the various bugs will get fixed and hey presto, people would be far less angry. But instead all we get is updates about updates about planning on maybe giving an update on upcoming things, (and even those as easy to miss Discord messages). No crunching necessary.

Core gameplay is excellent but they keep screwing up their comms to such an extent that it's likely costing them quite a bit of money in lost sales due to those reviews.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Making a single announcement isn't really very crunchy...

I have more issues about the outrage that they went on holiday to spend time with families and recover from the past year of making the game.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
For the millionth time no one is complaining about their vacation or demanding crunch, but people are rightfully annoyed that they launched an unfinished game *right before* going on a planned long vacation and then going completely dark.

But also this pattern is exactly in Fatshark’s wheelhouse so at this point it’s shame on us for expecting better

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ijyt posted:

No one is saying this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

also they coulda just said 'we're on holiday until X' instead of like promising announcements that don't come

cause right now the cycle people are in is 'check for darktide news, see there is none, feel 2% more irritated every time'. id rather be told theres nothing than strung along, but they know if they do that people will stop engaging with the game/socials and they dont want that. so theyre just pissing everyone off instead

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Any tips on what to decrease or increase settingswise to make the game less of a stutter-fest when sudden horders start pouring in? Or could it be just a server thing?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

edgar_ posted:

For the millionth time no one is complaining about their vacation or demanding crunch, but people are rightfully annoyed that they launched an unfinished game *right before* going on a planned long vacation and then going completely dark.

But also this pattern is exactly in Fatshark’s wheelhouse so at this point it’s shame on us for expecting better

?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

ijyt, you are being a fuckwit and everyone thinks less of you every time you post

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 22, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This feels like a finished game to me that's missing a few bells and whistles I don't care too much about anyway.

Crafting largely ruined VT2 for me because what's the point of playing a loot-based game when you can just craft the best loot? So I'm thankful it's not fully implemented here. I think where it's at right now is a sweet spot where it lets you find a cool gun and progress it up a bit, but it doesn't allow you to just create your dream gun right away (therefore nullifying the main reward structure in the game, the loot)

Sure things like the random mission selection is not the best design but I played 120 hours of this game without once being upset by that and it's not something I even thought about until people were posting about it, because I don't care what mission I do, and also I never use quickplay so I don't get back-to-back duplicate maps. I might actually prefer this system because it forces people to play maps that they otherwise ignore instead of running the same few on repeat, but :shrug:

It's IMO one of the best implementations of a cash shop I've ever seen purely because it's supremely ignorable - the game does not even remind you that a cash shop exists unless you physically run up to it in a 3d space and interact with it, I can't think of a single game with a cash shop that's less in-your-face about it than this one.

People were upset that some weapons that showed up in concept art aren't in the game but... okay? It still has a ton of weapons and I stopped expecting everything from concept art to show up in games decades ago.

The weird weapon Mk system is... unintuitive I guess? But I read like 2 sentences about it after 1 day of playing and fully understood it.

The shop system instead of drops from maps is something I greatly prefer because it's less RNG-based (you get a wide selection to choose from) and doesn't require running missions just to see what you get, you can pop in and check the shop occasionally without dedicating real time into it.

There are some bugs and weird things like some feats and stuff not working but, does that honestly get in the way of peoples' enjoyment of the game? Whenever I run into bugs like that I just go "heh" and choose a different feat. Secretly only getting half benefit from crit didn't stop me from being able to beat 4-skull and 5-skull missions on my crit-build zealot long before anyone realized zealots only got half benefit from crit.

I don't know, I guess my definition of "finished" in a game is different than most other people because the stuff people complain about here are things that just do not impact the "value" of the game for me, outside of being "heh that's silly" novel little factoids. Maybe it's because I fully ignored all hype about this game until I unexpectedly got into the early beta but it feels like it delivered on everything I wanted out of it after thinking VT and VT2 were neat but lacking the kind meat of meat that gets me to play a game long-term.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 22, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nah it's definitely a finished game IMO.

Qmass posted:

ijyt, you are being a fuckwit and everyone thinks less of you every time you post

Better a fuckwit than lumped in with the entitled gamer crowd that have no concept of publisher deadlines, and generally the business side of videogames.

If no-ones complaining the went on holiday why do they keep bringing it up, would honestly prefer your lot stick to complaining in the scheduled darktide tweet comment section, or reddit.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

(me not understanding that “and then” implies the two parts of the sentence are a single connected idea) wow that’s really incriminating stuff

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

ijyt posted:

Better a fuckwit than lumped in with the entitled gamer crowd that have no concept of publisher deadlines, and generally the business side of videogames.

If no-ones complaining the went on holiday why do they keep bringing it up, would honestly prefer your lot stick to complaining in the scheduled darktide tweet comment section, or reddit.

Ah, so you're just being a snide troll.

Or an idiot, perhaps a bit of both.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

deep dish peat moss posted:

This feels like a finished game to me that's missing a few bells and whistles I don't care too much about anyway.

Crafting largely ruined VT2 for me because what's the point of playing a loot-based game when you can just craft the best loot? So I'm thankful it's not fully implemented here. I think where it's at right now is a sweet spot where it lets you find a cool gun and progress it up a bit, but it doesn't allow you to just create your dream gun right away (therefore nullifying the main reward structure in the game, the loot)

Sure things like the random mission selection is not the best design but I played 120 hours of this game without once being upset by that and it's not something I even thought about until people were posting about it, because I don't care what mission I do, and also I never use quickplay so I don't get back-to-back duplicate maps. I might actually prefer this system because it forces people to play maps that they otherwise ignore instead of running the same few on repeat, but :shrug:

It's IMO one of the best implementations of a cash shop I've ever seen purely because it's supremely ignorable - the game does not even remind you that a cash shop exists unless you physically run up to it in a 3d space and interact with it, I can't think of a single game with a cash shop that's less in-your-face about it than this one.

People were upset that some weapons that showed up in concept art aren't in the game but... okay? It still has a ton of weapons and I stopped expecting everything from concept art to show up in games decades ago.

The weird weapon Mk system is... unintuitive I guess? But I read like 2 sentences about it after 1 day of playing and fully understood it.

The shop system instead of drops from maps is something I greatly prefer because it's less RNG-based (you get a wide selection to choose from) and doesn't require running missions just to see what you get, you can pop in and check the shop occasionally without dedicating real time into it.

There are some bugs and weird things like some feats and stuff not working but, does that honestly get in the way of peoples' enjoyment of the game? Whenever I run into bugs like that I just go "heh" and choose a different feat. Secretly only getting half benefit from crit didn't stop me from being able to beat 4-skull and 5-skull missions on my crit-build zealot long before anyone realized zealots only got half benefit from crit.

I don't know, I guess my definition of "finished" in a game is different than most other people because the stuff people complain about here are things that just do not impact the "value" of the game for me, outside of being "heh that's silly" novel little factoids. Maybe it's because I fully ignored all hype about this game until I unexpectedly got into the early beta but it feels like it delivered on everything I wanted out of it after thinking VT and VT2 were neat but lacking the kind meat of meat that gets me to play a game long-term.

Like, legit, this is probably the best opinion in the thread and people be having some wildly insane expectations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Fair enough about the I key, didn't know about that one.

I do hope the game is able to shape up past the launch problems. When it works it's fantastically fun and looks amazing; the constant crashing on higher end systems is probably fixable and the visuals are so good I'm sure they can eventually add tons of different looks for quality levels of weapons and so on. The atmosphere is like the platonic ideal of what an Aliens, 40k or Dead Space game wants to look and sound like; my hope that the Nurgle effects get turned up with more colors and plant shapes aside. The way enemies ragdoll, chunk apart, or gib into fountains of gore depending on how you hit them is tons of fun too; action games are all about feedback and they nailed it.

I really want this to succeed but I guess we'll see what happens.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

ijyt posted:

Maybe I’m just clueless but when the only thing really driving gameplay past 30 is to level more operatives to 30 it’s pretty obvious it still needs a lot of work

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not sure how you could consider it a finished game when a major part of the game has a big ”COMING SOON" label slapped on it and they even admitted they scrapped the entire system not long before launch.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
My wildly insane expectation is that I would like to finish a mission without dreading a crash in each one despite playing on a brand new system that has run perfectly fine against every modern game Ive tried so far, except Darktide

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

that "major part" of the game would totally ruin the game if it was implemented. Especially because of this:

mexi posted:

Maybe I’m just clueless but when the only thing really driving gameplay past 30 is to level more operatives to 30 it’s pretty obvious it still needs a lot of work

Once you implement full crafting there's no reason to play a level 30 operative, because you'll hit level 30 then craft an ideal gun and have no reward structure left on that character at all, which is exactly what took the wind out of my sails in VT2. Right now you have exactly as much reason to play a level 30 operative as you do in every other loot-based game (to vie for better loot)

e: Okay people who are upset by crashes and technical problems get a free pass, I get that, I didn't think of it because this game has run incredibly well for me since day one and I've only had one crash that I can remember, but I know many players are absolutely plagued by them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 22, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

This is more or less where I'm at. I've got 3/4 characters leveled to 30 and I still pop in to play missions with my maxed out characters. The interface is a little tedious, some balance issues, and I wish there were more weapon variety for the Ogryn specifically, but I'm also still having a ton of fun and thankfully not running into too many bugs. It was crashing my system a lot (like every mission) right after release, but that seems to have just been overheating, since I dusted and rearranged a thing to improve airflow and I've had nothing since.

There's definitely room to improve and grow the game but I dunno that I'd call it unfinished. I guess maybe I'm still just blown away by the fact that we got a 40k game where the guns don't feel piddling and the voice acting isn't atrocious. Hitting heretics with a bolter or chainsword in DT feels like the full realization of everything a million nerds have imagined for years. Also I didn't play that much VT2, seems like everybody else did

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:yeah:

for what it's worth I'm not saying that people are wrong about any of these criticisms, it's just that to me these are things like "here are some things I would like to see implemented or improved post-release" more than "here are the bare minimum things a game needs to be complete and I'll be upset if it doesn't have them"

e: Like even though I prefer the shop system to random drops, the implementation of the shop system isn't ideal and could use some changes.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 22, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

that "major part" of the game would totally ruin the game if it was implemented. Especially because of this:

Once you implement full crafting there's no reason to play a level 30 operative, because you'll hit level 30 then craft an ideal gun and have no reward structure left on that character at all, which is exactly what took the wind out of my sails in VT2. Right now you have exactly as much reason to play a level 30 operative as you do in every other loot-based game (to vie for better loot)

e: Okay people who are upset by crashes and technical problems get a free pass, I get that, I didn't think of it because this game has run incredibly well for me since day one and I've only had one crash that I can remember, but I know many players are absolutely plagued by them.

I think you'd still want a good bank of blessings, assuming they will allow us to rip them off of items. If it's just a blessing RNG re-roll using melk bucks or loads of diamandtine there will be a grind there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The way it's planned sounds like you destroy an item to get one of its blessings to place on another item, so yeah you still need to get the blessing you want which might take a few hours or a couple days if you didn't grab it from the shop while leveling, but then that weapon is effectively "done" and there's no reason to keep playing long-term to chase better gear (outside of getting that final 1% performance out of a perfect roll or whatever), whereas right now you can get a fairly steady drip of progression over time as you keep finding new weapons to try out for a while.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

e: Okay people who are upset by crashes and technical problems get a free pass

People who are upset that there are no hazard stripe weapon cosmetics also get a free pass :colbert:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Every day that passes without a full remake of the lobby and all systems therein my soul dies a little more

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

So lack of any endgame content is my problem?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ijyt posted:

literally nobody is mad that fatshark is on vacation. fatshark deserves time off and fair labor practices, as does everyone.

every single complaint is about the TIMING of the vacation. darktide should not have been released so close to their mandatory time off so they could be on-call to fix issues with THE THING THAT'S DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE LIVELIHOOD OF THEIR DEVELOPERS AND THE CONTINUED EXISTENCE OF THEIR STUDIO.

this is on top of the fact that they can't even release a quickly typed "we hear you" update immediately after their vacation ended. "hey we obviously did some stuff you guys don't like, we're trying to figure out what to do, please bear with us while we finalize those decisions" is a statement that took me less than a minute to write, addresses everything, promises nothing, and would absolutely stem the tide of backlash

instead what we got is "crafting will be implemented in december" and "you'll hear more from us next week!" multiple times IN A ROW after their vacation ended

in short: stop being such a loving idiot and actually pay attention please

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, this was literally never the case for me in VT2. I only ever managed to get one or two of the red weapons and neither were ones I wanted to use. The crafting system didn't just let you snap your fingers and get exactly what you wanted as soon as you hit level 30, unless I was doing something wrong.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, wasn't the case for me either. I played a ton of chaos wastes where your own weapons don't matter at all.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Vermintide 2 didn't keep my attention but Darktide does. Not even because of the metaprogression stuff, I'm still maining my Zealot even though I've basically got my build down for it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The way it's planned sounds like you destroy an item to get one of its blessings to place on another item, so yeah you still need to get the blessing you want which might take a few hours or a couple days if you didn't grab it from the shop while leveling, but then that weapon is effectively "done" and there's no reason to keep playing long-term to chase better gear (outside of getting that final 1% performance out of a perfect roll or whatever), whereas right now you can get a fairly steady drip of progression over time as you keep finding new weapons to try out for a while.

The reason to play the game is because its fun, not because number goes up, surely.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ijyt posted:

The reason to play the game is because its fun, not because number goes up, surely.

You've not been reading this thread a lot, have you?

There's tons of people who are annoyed that they can't craft their +5% better weapons for endgame

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

edgar_ posted:

Maybe not here, but everywhere else (Steam Forums, Reddit, their own forums) people were complaining a lot. Really toxic fanbase tbh.

dogstile posted:

You've not been reading this thread a lot, have you?

There's tons of people who are annoyed that they can't craft their +5% better weapons for endgame

I really wish game devs would stop listening to these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ijyt posted:

this may come as a surprise to you but not everyone plays a game for the same reasons