Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Because coughing blood is an easy way of saying "oh no this dude sick" without having to deal with any physical symptoms/impairments that might gross viewers/readers out.

If you cough blood, it's serious, but if you just cough, it's not.

And if you sneeze, it's snot.

i had a chest infection so bad I was coughing blood and a single night on antibiotics basically cured it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Because coughing blood is an easy way of saying "oh no this dude sick" without having to deal with any physical symptoms/impairments that might gross viewers/readers out.

If you cough blood, it's serious, but if you just cough, it's not.

And if you sneeze, it's snot.

Scene of the character finding blood in their stool, revealing their colon cancer

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stylish anime ways to signal disease:
Trickle of blood from nose, followed by fainting.
The pervasive mysterious cough (bloody when serious).
Bedridden but otherwise looking fine for ages (then you die, having always had a weak constitution)

No one in anime ever dies from dysentry, making GBS threads their guts out

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Stylish anime ways to signal disease:
Trickle of blood from nose, followed by fainting.
The pervasive mysterious cough (bloody when serious).
Bedridden but otherwise looking fine for ages (then you die, having always had a weak constitution)

No one in anime ever dies from dysentry, making GBS threads their guts out

Need to get that Jin anime adaptation

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's literally tuberculosis. A shitload of people died from tuberculosis in Japan in the past and it kinda stuck around in media tropes even though it's mostly gone now.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's hardly unique to Japan as a trope, it just tends to be in period pieces elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqIkeJCzAM

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We knew it was coming and it was fantastic. Ultra instinct Mash. Weakness mode

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm really getting fed up with movie guy in sakamoto

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Time to rescue SasukeAkira

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Is that a Baki reference? I feel like that's a Baki reference. Why has Itagaki infected my brain so?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't normally like making posts just to dump on stuff but wow that Jiang-she series has the most boilerplate first chapter and general concept I've seen for a while. Wonder if it's going to make any swerves or be exactly as standard as it looks.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Mashle is back to being perfectly dumb. Love it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Pierson posted:

I don't normally like making posts just to dump on stuff but wow that Jiang-she series has the most boilerplate first chapter and general concept I've seen for a while. Wonder if it's going to make any swerves or be exactly as standard as it looks.

Seriously, it wasn't even remotely interesting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pierson posted:

It must have some kind of twist coming up because otherwise it is the most generic series ever. Although current editorial staff sure seems to love monster hunting stories since that seems like the majority that we've been getting recently.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gotta get that Kimetsu no Yaiba 2.0 you know

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't envy a single person either working on one or trying to find the next big one because the pressure must be crazy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The title made me think it would be about a Jiangshi - it'd maybe be compared to Fabricant then, but at least that'd be a bit more novel.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

read the whole chapter waiting for the shoe to drop and it never did lmao. it feels like the most straight-and-narrow shounen in a decade

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Brought To You By posted:

Is that a Baki reference? I feel like that's a Baki reference. Why has Itagaki infected my brain so?

He's activated the ultimate Kengan Ashura defensive motion: Going limp to disperse damage.

The idea is just going with the flow, like say, an Airbender or smoke. As an actual reference, maybe Gum Gum Airhead/Daze/Space-Out when Luffy was being a tactical moron fighting Eneru. Or just unpredictable like drunken martial arts is shown to be.

I said earlier that I missed that heavy wand but this form makes up for its absence all on its own.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

It reminded me of Gomu Gomu no Buh, even though that was more for dodging than dispersing the attack.

Anyway, this Mashle chapter was the best in a long time the full gymnastics routine was fun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A perfect 10.
even the visionaries getting in on it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

read the whole chapter waiting for the shoe to drop and it never did lmao. it feels like the most straight-and-narrow shounen in a decade

It was boring was what it was. The audience has absolutely moved on from this sort of Kakashi vs Proto-Team Seven "Friendship in the face of dire adversity beats all" nonsense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The idea is just going with the flow, like say, an Airbender or smoke. As an actual reference, maybe Gum Gum Airhead/Daze/Space-Out when Luffy was being a tactical moron fighting Eneru. Or just unpredictable like drunken martial arts is shown to be.
I mean yes, this is a tried and true cliche. But what makes me think of Baki is the commentary on it. That and when Kengan started to abuse "going limp" it was completely hackneyed as people clearly are tanking massive blows and then someone just says he's fine. To my memory, Luffy spacing out just resulted in his thoughts being a bit less predictable but there is a comparison to be made with Mash going all dopey. Mash here is getting clobbered but just folding around the attacks. Makes me think of Yujiro vs Kaku.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh that makes perfect sense now that I see the screenshots of the scene lol

I never read Baki so my thoughts were like Jackie Chan Drunken Master and the landlady's husband from Kung Fu Hustle but they straight up reference the 'This is impossible, it's like trying to cut a floating piece of paper!' thing

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It was boring was what it was. The audience has absolutely moved on from this sort of Kakashi vs Proto-Team Seven "Friendship in the face of dire adversity beats all" nonsense.

Plus, Black Clover plays that note best among the SJ rotation right now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh that makes perfect sense now that I see the screenshots of the scene lol

I never read Baki so my thoughts were like Jackie Chan Drunken Master and the landlady's husband from Kung Fu Hustle but they straight up reference the 'This is impossible, it's like trying to cut a floating piece of paper!' thing

Even relaxation -> Explosive force is here but it's not like these concepts or ideas were pioneered by the author Itagaki.

I don't know if I'd ever recommend Baki to someone though. I basically follow it because seeing what wacky thing Itagaki will do next intrigues me. It's neither really good or outright terrible. Just a bizarre adventure with martial artists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

Yeah, just finished it and I have to agree.

Fabricant feels like a throwback, sure. But this feels like something that I've read already. There's nothing distinct about it, there's no unique hook at the end of the chapter to distinguish it from any other monster fighting manga, and even the possible complications from the protagonist's relationship with his dad are undermined at the end.

The weirdest thing for me, though, is the page count. Most manga, even ones coming in molten hot, only kick off with a 60-ish page opening chapter. This one, though, has more than 90. That's more than a whole chapter's worth of extra pages, for a bog-standard looking series, in a week when none of the big titles are on hiatus.

I don't know if Jump editorial thinks it has something big here or what, but it's about the only unusual thing in the whole chapter, which is otherwise the most bog standard new release in a while. (And considering some of the recent new series, that's saying something.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The thing that's weird to me about Jiangshi X is that normally a new series would get a big fanfare, it would dominate the cover and the banner on the SJ app/website.

But instead it's Undead Unluck.

Is this even actually running in the magazine? Or is it a web only thing?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

The thing that's weird to me about Jiangshi X is that normally a new series would get a big fanfare, it would dominate the cover and the banner on the SJ app/website.

But instead it's Undead Unluck.

Is this even actually running in the magazine? Or is it a web only thing?

Looking things up, it seems like it's a Jump Plus title, not a magazine one.

I guess that explains things.

(Also, looking at the TOC, Ginka and Gluna, Tokyo Demon Bride, and PPPPPP are all at the back, so if you're placing bets on the next title axed, it's probably going to be one of those three.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

against all odds, pppppp has somehow managed to make it this far and at this point I'm rooting for it

wouldn't surprise me if g&g went out but also I'm still reading it, unlike tokyo demon bride

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking things up, it seems like it's a Jump Plus title, not a magazine one.

I guess that explains things.

(Also, looking at the TOC, Ginka and Gluna, Tokyo Demon Bride, and PPPPPP are all at the back, so if you're placing bets on the next title axed, it's probably going to be one of those three.)

Tokyo Demon Bride is easily the worst of those three so that'll be the one that survives somehow

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As long as Fabricant and Akane Banashi stick around, of the new stuff those are head and shoulders above everything else. Hell, head shoulders and everything down to the loving knees above everything else in Akane Banashi's case.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'd argue it can work, just this was done really sloppily. Naruto for example gave us a few chapters before the bell test to know Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura which was needed for the test to actually work. This just dumped right into it and didnt do anything new. It was poorly executed and rote.

Edit: also a little surprised the EIC let the name through since Jump Plus is already running Choujin X.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hosting is magnitudes of order cheaper than ink and paper

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A Sometimes Food posted:

also a little surprised the EIC let the name through since Jump Plus is already running Choujin X.

Teens are evenly split between the greatest titles "Shadow Demons of Chaos Dimension X" and "Chaos Demons of Shadow Dimension X."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

As long as Fabricant and Akane Banashi stick around, of the new stuff those are head and shoulders above everything else. Hell, head shoulders and everything down to the loving knees above everything else in Akane Banashi's case.

I'd argue it can work, just this was done really sloppily. Naruto for example gave us a few chapters before the bell test to know Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura which was needed for the test to actually work. This just dumped right into it and didnt do anything new. It was poorly executed and rote.

Edit: also a little surprised the EIC let the name through since Jump Plus is already running Choujin X.

I didn’t really have a problem with the implementation in Jiangshi X; the issue is just that it’s so blatantly copying the bells test from Naruto specifically.

I think part of the intended “hook” for this series is meant to be the ominous foreshadowing via narration at the end of the chapter, though this is itself a cliche (MHA abuses it multiple times). There is actually an ambiguity to the villain reveal that I’m not sure was intentional; are the Rice Wine guys a rival sect of human chi users, or are they jiangshi who look human because stronger monsters usually look more human in this kind of manga? Or maybe they’re the evil sorcerers who created the jiangshi in the first place, and they lost the ability to make more jiangshi somehow? In other words, are they Akatsuki, the Espada, or Muzan?

Edit: Or maybe they’re actually Vandenreich; guys who Went Too Far fighting the jianshi, so the monks wiped most of them out, so now they’re seeking revenge.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the answer is, whichever is most likely to get the manga past 20 chapters.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Both Naruto and Black Clover are coming up on a decade since leaving/entering Jump, respectively. Of course they're still big but, aside from the different editorial behind Jiangshi X, it wouldn't strike me as odd that a(nother) "throwback" (it may not even seem this way to the intended audience) shonen would get the greenlight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yomi no Tsugai is very good so far imo

https://mangadex.org/chapter/dbdf2f3e-1091-4a35-943b-0133ba928b83

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Comedic and menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Comedic and menacing.

I didn't take them seriously at first but honestly considering how simple Yuru's Tsugai's abilities are, I shouldn't have been so underwhelmed at first.