Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

lolololol

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

Cleaning is the biggest use mine gets for sure. Particularly cleaning out my table and band saws which is loving annoying without it.

All the above. Last thing I used mine on was the usb-C port on my phone. Lint or particles, won't charge, etc.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Cleaning is the biggest use mine gets for sure. Particularly cleaning out my table and band saws which is loving annoying without it.

I feel like that's just making the dust problem in a shop worse, I use one of those expandable DC hoses from Rockler so I can use my DC as a giant vac for tasks like that instead. I thought I'd use my big compressor more in the shop but honestly since I had already bought a number of cordless pneumatic tools, I don't.

Mr. Mambold posted:

All the above. Last thing I used mine on was the usb-C port on my phone. Lint or particles, won't charge, etc.

Can't help but picture the aftermath of my phone being sucked into my DC now, probably similar to the time my previous phone went through a 60'' tractor mounted snowblower.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 21, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Every goon should have an air compressor for cleaning dust out of their gaming rig.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Elem7 posted:

I feel like that's just making the dust problem in a shop worse, I use one of those expandable DC hoses from Rockler so I can use my DC as a giant vac for tasks like that instead.

With an open fourth wall and a fan pushing air out I don't tend to have any dust problems. Certainly don't recommend if you can't open a wall of your shop.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Bob Mundon posted:

Yessssss

https://youtu.be/zjrKrIBaDhE

Hopefully it's 55" tracks so you can actually cut a 4ft wide sheet.

Wait there are more people who are on the orange team besides me in this thread? I've felt so alone.

Ridgid has put out a pretty surprising number of new tools in the past couple years, rather than just updated drills and impact drivers. Too bad their yard tools are only just coming out and the subcompact line only came out a year or two ago, I bought into the milwaukee M12 line for small/light duty tools (that I use most of the time, the surge impact driver is fantastic) and ego for yard tools.

edit:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

wait are you guys not spending $200 filling your garage with things you used one time? poo poo

Don't feel bad, I filled up my garage and had to build a workshop for more room :(. Haven't used my engine hoist in like 2 years.

dyne fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 22, 2023

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Lovely new thread title. Compliments!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 10, 2024

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

dyne posted:

Wait there are more people who are on the orange team besides me in this thread? I've felt so alone.

Seems to hit a balance of cost/quality that suits me, but more importantly getting factory blem from direct tools outlet yet still qualifying for the lifetime warranty is gd bananas when you catch a sale.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ridgid's fine, but (and I've said this before in this thread) cordless tracksaws are not as good as they seem at first blush. You want a vacuum, even outside, to keep the cut clear. At that point, a carry-along cord is not a big deal and adds ergonomic benefits for swapping between tools.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
My local wood store has a dust collector on clearance for $389. Right now I have have a Dewalt 10g shop vac that just move from tool to tool. I have been looking at dust extractors, and hadn’t really considered putting a proper dust collector in my garage due to their price tags.

https://generaltoolsusa.com/product/dust-collector-1-5hp-2/

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Does it come with the canister filter or a bag? The pictures show the canister but the description mentions a filter bag.

If it’s a filter bag you may be better off buying the equivalent Harbor Freight model if it’s cheaper; I did that and then got a Wynn filter and it rules.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah, if that price includes a canister filter that's a great buy

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Getting the Jessem dowel jig, any recommendations for a decent quantity of dowel pins? The Milescraft bucket looks like a good deal, but I hate 1/3 of them are 5/16 dowels which I'll never use.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So it turns out the cheapest way to get an 18ga brad nailer and compressor is for your father to find one on the curb on a walk and wire a new power cable into it to fix it.

So that's sorted.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat we assume that you had already tried that otherwise we would have suggested it

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Deviant posted:

So it turns out the cheapest way to get an 18ga brad nailer and compressor is for your father to find one on the curb on a walk and wire a new power cable into it to fix it.

So that's sorted.

As one does.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Bob Mundon posted:

Getting the Jessem dowel jig, any recommendations for a decent quantity of dowel pins? The Milescraft bucket looks like a good deal, but I hate 1/3 of them are 5/16 dowels which I'll never use.

I'd urge you to check out the dowelmax instead.

For dowels I like this brand on Amazon:
200 Pack 3/8" x 1 1/2" Wooden Dowel Pins Wood Kiln Dried Fluted and Beveled, Made of Hardwood https://a.co/d/95wwHZq

They've been well dried and fit nicely.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dyne posted:

Ridgid has put out a pretty surprising number of new tools in the past couple years, rather than just updated drills and impact drivers. Too bad their yard tools are only just coming out and the subcompact line only came out a year or two ago, I bought into the milwaukee M12 line for small/light duty tools (that I use most of the time, the surge impact driver is fantastic) and ego for yard tools.

edit:

Don't feel bad, I filled up my garage and had to build a workshop for more room :(. Haven't used my engine hoist in like 2 years.
I'm team a little bit of everything. Hilti and Ridgid for cordless tools, Ryobi for cordless lawn stuff, and corded stuff is just basically whatever was a combination of right price and good reviews, so I've got Bosch stuff, DeWalt, Ridgid, uh, *mumbles*... blackanddecker.... new craftsman.......

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

I'd urge you to check out the dowelmax instead.

For dowels I like this brand on Amazon:
200 Pack 3/8" x 1 1/2" Wooden Dowel Pins Wood Kiln Dried Fluted and Beveled, Made of Hardwood https://a.co/d/95wwHZq

They've been well dried and fit nicely.

I've been eyeballing those listings already so good to know.

Regarding which brand I actively went Jessem for the flexibility and ability to array dowels without unclamping since I do a lot in 2x material. The built in clamps would be nice, but then again I'd probably trade it for added flexibility. Is there any reason in particular you prefer dowelmax?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Tbf, I have a huge garage door as the 4th wall of my shop so blow off actually does something

One thing I miss about my garage shop was the big rear end door. Just grabbing the leaf blower and going nuts on dust was great. Now I actually have to vacuum everything like a sucker.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

keep it down up there! posted:

One thing I miss about my garage shop was the big rear end door. Just grabbing the leaf blower and going nuts on dust was great. Now I actually have to vacuum everything like a sucker.

Exactly what I do lol

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol. Just did that today. I've got too much poo poo now though and three still always remnant dust.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That Works posted:

Search around for Makita to Ryobi 18v adapters and you’ll find a lot of options. I did for DeWalt to Ryobi18 and with one adapter that opens up a lot of cheap / used tool options.

I bought one from AliExpress. Works fine, haven't destroyed any batteries or tools yet.

DO NOT use an adapter to plug a battery into a different brand of charger. Sounds like that wouldn't end well.

That Works posted:

Wouldn’t an electric Brad nailer be a better choice if you didn’t need a compressor anyway

I bought a 16 gauge battery Ryobi brad nailer this fall for a job up in the eaves where I didn't want to run an airline along with all the other crap I was juggling. The thing is very heavy and awkward. More than once I cursed its inability to get into tight corners like an air nailer can. I'm curious what it will be like for building beehive parts. I might need to be more careful about where I postition the clamps.

I was going to sell my little pancake compressor after I got the big compressor but it's very handy to charge up and take with. Just used it yesterday to help clean the dryer duct.

Deviant posted:

So that's sorted.

Pro move.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CommonShore posted:

drat we assume that you had already tried that otherwise we would have suggested it

yeah, how silly of me to not try "casting my wishes into the void"

i'd also like to win the powerball, tool thread. any advice?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Bob Mundon posted:

I've been eyeballing those listings already so good to know.

Regarding which brand I actively went Jessem for the flexibility and ability to array dowels without unclamping since I do a lot in 2x material. The built in clamps would be nice, but then again I'd probably trade it for added flexibility. Is there any reason in particular you prefer dowelmax?

The Jessem isn't bad, but the dowelmax has some better features IMO for indexing off holes you've already drilled. That being said, I have not used it much for 2x material (when I have I just plonk a single row of 3/8 dowels). The dowelmax does have the option to do 1/2 dowels too.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

The Jessem isn't bad, but the dowelmax has some better features IMO for indexing off holes you've already drilled. That being said, I have not used it much for 2x material (when I have I just plonk a single row of 3/8 dowels). The dowelmax does have the option to do 1/2 dowels too.

Are you referring to the extension rod or whatever it's called? Is strange Jessem had that on their older paralign jig but not the new one. It did seem nice, but it I couldn't think of a use beyond a long edge joint in which case you can just reference off the opposite dowels so precision isn't as relevant unless I'm missing something. if there's something else you're getting at let me know.

Also has 1/4 and 1/2 jigs standard so I don't have to spend yet more money, but we'll see. Maybe I'm setting myself up for heartbreak but I'm running across a lot of people saying they like the Jessem better actually.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so, new question, how do i find nails that fit this gun?

It's Campbell Hausfeld SB504000, and the manual specifies all of the following

Everything seems branded at the orange and blue stores, will any 18ga brad or finish nail work? And are brads and finish nails interchangable as long as they're both 18ga?

These seem to 'fit all 18ga brad nailers', so i guess i'm fine?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bostitch-2-in-18-Gauge-Pneumatic-Finish-Nails-1000-Count/3454682

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Deviant posted:

Everything seems branded at the orange and blue stores, will any 18ga brad or finish nail work? And are brads and finish nails interchangable as long as they're both 18ga?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bostitch-2-in-18-Gauge-Pneumatic-Finish-Nails-1000-Count/3454682

Yeah, as long as the nailer can handle the length of the specific nails. 5/8"-2" seems pretty standard for the nailers I've used.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Somehow I have to believe there are Bosch branded brads out there with some ingenious engineering that make them completely useless for anything aside from a Bosch nailer. They're just dicks like that.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Somehow I have to believe there are Bosch branded brads out there with some ingenious engineering that make them completely useless for anything aside from a Bosch nailer. They're just dicks like that.

They're probably really good if you've got the gun for them though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Deviant posted:

I'm not aware of any 18gauge nailers that are angle-headed, so they all pretty much fit generically. Are you the base mold guy? 1 1/4" would more than suffice. Some can only go up to 1 1/2".

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is the Makita 2x18V DSP600 Plunge Saw good?

I currently have a 1x18V DHS680, which is A) a little underpowered and B) needs a tons of fiddling to work with the official Makita rail.

Is it correctly understood that the DSP600 just plonks down onto the rail with no kit etc.?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

melon cat posted:

Also a valid use of an air compressor:

When I worked in a tool and die shop, we had air hoses hanging everywhere for cleaning things.

They saw more use when we figured out that you could cram an ear plug into the nozzle and shoot people with ear plugs.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

bolind posted:

Is the Makita 2x18V DSP600 Plunge Saw good?

I currently have a 1x18V DHS680, which is A) a little underpowered and B) needs a tons of fiddling to work with the official Makita rail.

Is it correctly understood that the DSP600 just plonks down onto the rail with no kit etc.?

It is a different kind of saw made for more delicate work. The blade is shrouded for improved dust collection. The plunge saw comes with a 55-tooth blade compared to the 24T blade the circular saw has out of the box.

FYI the plunge saw only sells for $400. Home Depot has the saw, two 5AH batteries, and a ridiculously large two-battery simultaneous charger* for $500.

I have this saw. I have only used it a couple times, but so far it is awesome. It comes with a systainer-type box with enough extra room inside for the batteries, a couple of track clamps, and a right angle guide attachment for the track.

* The charger has two things that I don't like and one nice feature. First, it lacks any keyholes on the bottom for wall-mounting. I hate it when tool makers omit this. It has a fan that comes on when it is charging. Tool makers: figure out a way to increase the efficiency of your electronics enough to remove the sure-to-fail buzzy little 40mm fans from your chargers. It has a USB charging port, which is nice.

I have some newer Skil 12V tools and they have USB ports on the chargers (nice) AND USB ports on the batteries, which is loving awesome IMO. The Skil line has this fun cardboard box cutting tool which is awesome for cutting up internet shopping boxes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

PBCrunch posted:

It is a different kind of saw made for more delicate work. The blade is shrouded for improved dust collection. The plunge saw comes with a 55-tooth blade compared to the 24T blade the circular saw has out of the box.

FYI the plunge saw only sells for $400. Home Depot has the saw, two 5AH batteries, and a ridiculously large two-battery simultaneous charger* for $500.

I have this saw. I have only used it a couple times, but so far it is awesome. It comes with a systainer-type box with enough extra room inside for the batteries, a couple of track clamps, and a right angle guide attachment for the track.

* The charger has two things that I don't like and one nice feature. First, it lacks any keyholes on the bottom for wall-mounting. I hate it when tool makers omit this. It has a fan that comes on when it is charging. Tool makers: figure out a way to increase the efficiency of your electronics enough to remove the sure-to-fail buzzy little 40mm fans from your chargers. It has a USB charging port, which is nice.

I have some newer Skil 12V tools and they have USB ports on the chargers (nice) AND USB ports on the batteries, which is loving awesome IMO. The Skil line has this fun cardboard box cutting tool which is awesome for cutting up internet shopping boxes.

Thanks for your input. No Home Depot in Ol' Europe I'm afraid, but I am aware that there's often deals to be had when buying a kit, and I have yet to have trouble offloading a charger.

On that topic, yes, I agree with your observations regarding keyholes and fans. I think, however, that the fans cool the batteries, not so much the internal electronics of the charger. And, curiously, some people report that the Makita dual charger no longer comes with the USB charging port. There's always this for charging phones and such.

Do you have the guide rail?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought the "Powertec" 110" rail set, which is two 55" pieces and some bars to connect them. I have not used the guide rails together yet. Festool, Makita, Wen, Powertec all make track saw stuff that works together.

Ryobi uses a different track for its plunge saw. I would imagine that fellow TTI brands Milwaukee and Ridgid both use the Ryobi-style track for their plunge saws.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

PBCrunch posted:

ridiculously large two-battery simultaneous charger*

* The charger has two things that I don't like and one nice feature. First, it lacks any keyholes on the bottom for wall-mounting.

I picked up these little brackets, you pop off the rubber feet on the bottom and put them in the same spot.

NyVoozy Makita Charger Mount, Makita Charger Wall Mount, Charger Mounts for Makita DC18RD Chargers (Black) (6) https://a.co/d/5AIFb3Z

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

I picked up these little brackets, you pop off the rubber feet on the bottom and put them in the same spot.

NyVoozy Makita Charger Mount, Makita Charger Wall Mount, Charger Mounts for Makita DC18RD Chargers (Black) (6) https://a.co/d/5AIFb3Z

I’ve got the StealthMounts version of this bracket and it works quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I also have the Stealthmount version of that for my Makita dual charger, keeps it up and out of the way. I've got them for the single charger too, but that's the one that tends to get packed if I take the tools somewhere that's not home.

Edit: I have yet to find a use for the USB port. Though I wish the single charger had one, because that's the one I always have when I want to charge my phone or Bluetooth speaker along with my tool batteries

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 26, 2023