Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I almost commented after your last post saying I hoped you wore a respirator for all that insulation work. RIP your lungs. Hope it clears up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I found that a circular saw was the best way to cut foam board insulation as you always get perfectly perpendicular cuts, and this makes it easy to make it slot perfectly into (and then stay in!) the alcove that you want it in.
I was dealing with lots of gaps which were nominally the same but not quite identical and ended up cutting 3 or 4 slightly different template pieces within the width variance and numbering them and then just testing which fitted best and writing its number on the wall before then cutting sufficient duplicates of each template.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Have we arrived at the present day with your updates now 99?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Pretty much. I've got a few posts to make. But yeah. Guess I'll need to get my finger out now.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pretty much. I've got a few posts to make. But yeah. Guess I'll need to get my finger out now.

Time to pressure you into working harder and faster so we can be entertained!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Messadiah posted:

Time to pressure you into working harder and faster so we can be entertained!

I feel like this just leads to more "digger fuckin broke down yet again" posts

which, hell, is still entertainment

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There has been a bit of house progress but admittedly things have been slow over xmas. My elf work took me away from things.

But heres a bit of a segue anyway.

Do you remember my truck?

Bought a new engine for it on ebay. Not new. And just in general questionable. Good money after bad? We shall see. But I could really do with this truck.

So i've never really done much more work on a car than brake discs/pads and little stuff like that. Everything I've done I've tended to find good online walkthroughs or youtube videos.

Can't find one for this. So I'm going to remove the old engine and put this other one back in. SO just record everything I do and once its out work my way back through the list. How wrong can I get that?

So heres the new(ish) engine lined up for comparison photos and reference.

Bought the cheapest labeller I could see as will need this anyway but this is like a kiddies one and I can print hearts and kisses around the words.

gradually removing bits

Radiator out. this fucker might come back to haunt me.

off roady bits off the bottom

I'm pretty jacked up

bonnet off (hood for the weirdos?)

ok. everything is disconnected. scary bit. I'm using the chain winch I bought for lowering in oak beams that I never used as actually there was no way to get up to operate it once it was 3 stories up in the air. Ideal for this though

took a little wiggling but out you come

and off you go

right made a couple of little stands for them and here we are. Two engines. Lets us transfer any nicer looking bits off one to the other and see whats what.

do a few pain in the arse bits whilst its accessible. New oil filter.

Cam belt arrqangement.

lift the new one back in

This was actually a right pain in the arse and took various fuckings about with. Like separately jacking up the clutch assembly to try and get it aligned without mincing the aircon radiator. which got minced anyway.

But then its just work back through my list of things until its an actual car again.

Oh hello motherfucker.

It moves! I am the greatest mechanic ever! I mean actually working on cars is fuckig awful. But I am still amazing. gently caress me I'm great.

Finally I can go and collect some bits that are holding us up and cant be loaded in a smart/jag/tesla/fiat(fiat is also still in bits anyway)

AND

we break down half a mile from site with the same overheating issue. Possibly this engine has also detonated. Its still running but sounding like poo poo. Took a couple of hours to nurse it back to site, overheating all the while. loving cars.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 23, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Extremely on brand

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Please tell me the problem was t the radiator all along…

I lol’d at the label maker

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've been on these forums since 2005 and this is the greatest thread I've ever read.

How much has this all cost so far?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
smh

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

...why did overheating make you think the engine was the problem?

Please tell me you at least checked the radiator and coolant pump before you swapped and blew up another engine, my guy.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

So proud of you. Hopefully you've learnt your lesson though, buy a Hilux next time

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This fuckin guy replaced the engine on his truck and it broke down anyway. I’m in tears

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Extremely on brand

Gambrinus posted:

I've been on these forums since 2005 and this is the greatest thread I've ever read.

:hai:

Thank you for sharing this journey with us, and for being such a good loving sport about it all

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tsk. At least you've got practice for taking the engine out now. Oh well! I'm sure big ford truck engines are cheap as chips in the UK.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I will fight anyone that hasn’t voted 5, show yourselves cowards

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Oh my loving god. I thought we couldn't top the massive earthquake proof pillars but now if you replaced the engine and it wasn't the engine I'm going to goddamn die

I half expected that you would say that the truck made a weird crunching noise because you messed I pthe timing belt.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Like, you could have diagnosed the engine issue and an overheating issue can easily be identified, a cracked engine is something you could have seen and would have leaked like a fucker. And if it was a head gasket you'd have blue smoke exhaust and the oil be cream colored. My god I just can't I'm cackling

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean as funny as this is to car people the foundation pillars are still like a 2 or 3 orders of magnitude larger regret

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:master:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
This entire thread should be in some museum’s permanent collection. What a thing this is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
99, your Mr. Bean-style commitment to thrifty solutions that end up costing more money is incredible. What's the current valuation of your labour costs on a per-hour basis?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Failed Imagineer posted:

99, your Mr. Bean-style commitment to thrifty solutions that end up costing more money is incredible. What's the current valuation of your labour costs on a per-hour basis?

The hourly labour rate is irrelevant. 99 is in this for the vibes.

(we do have a car forum here too - 99 - you might want to post in it before engine swap no 2 happens!)

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Towards an L shape architecture: better than groverhaus

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tomarse posted:

The hourly labour rate is irrelevant. 99 is in this for the vibes.

(we do have a car forum here too - 99 - you might want to post in it before engine swap no 2 happens!)

At this point I feel like 99 either has old money or won a lottery at some point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

At this point I feel like 99 either has old money or won a lottery at some point.

With the way decisions are being made I'm betting on "engineering salary". What kind of engineer I'm not sure of yet. But there is a lot of engineer brain happening. I can tell because I have the same disease.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I'm hedging my bet on architect

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

I'm hedging my bet on architect

Not a chance

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm an architect and you can. Planning isn't really concerned with building safety anyway, that's building regs.

:smug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

He's an architect to build his house in the same way that I am a professional chef to microwave some beans

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:aaaaa:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That was just to win an argument with Bobby. I'm not a real architect but I have a degree in it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are no winners when you argue with me.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That was just to win an argument with Bobby. I'm not a real architect but I have a degree in it.

not just a dipLoma?

heh heh heh

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I stayed in a holiday in express last night

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Now that I think about it I did actually use to work for ford.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Carrying on with insulating all the ceiling which are at 45degrees.

The oak actually makes it quite difficult to wedge them in so decide 1200mm lengths works best.

I move the temporary floor up in stages to get the whole vaulted roof done. This is just the first layer of 100mm thick insulation inbetween the rafters. They'll be another 50mm layer slung beneath but thats also got electrics and stuff in it so figure that out afterward.

As I think I said before I'm cleaning up the bits of oak with sanders as I go. Eventually will need to do it to all of them. Theyre a bit stained but it does come out with a bit of effort.

I think I showed it in a previous section drawing but I'll be insulating the other wing of the L at the 45degree roof envelope with more PIR. This gets the loft in the airtight insulated envelope. Another 45sqm of floor space. which is significant. Theres already OSB boarding in this section of roof space between the rafters of the trusses to strengthen/square(not very square) it all up. I can still fit 70mm beneath this flush with the rafter bottoms. This probably wont hit my environmental requirements for the loft space but it wont be official floorspace right now. If needed it can have another layer installed underneath to butch it up.

here is my operating table.

Where I've left the insulation and then moved it theres like a dry shadow on the floor?

Dunno what thats about.

Bifolds are all iced up.

Oh and somewhat weirdly its snowing again. You would not expect a 6 month build to experience 3 winters. I blame brexit.

at least my logs are nice and snug

oh and I've put a little electric heater in the plantroom to keep the water pipe and stuff above freezing. I guess its working as the snow is melting on the roof.

fukcing cars man

jumpstarting the jag from the smart.

I've also succesfully used the smart to jump the digger lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Do you own the white Fiesta too? Since it has a picture of your house on it