Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My parents were unexpectedly stuck at my house today due to a snowstorm and thanks to this thread I had the perfect movie to show them. Cabin Boy. I learned that my parents saw it in theaters and liked it enough to want to rewatch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Legit one of my favorite movies. Cracks me up every time.

Watched the 30th anniversary 4k of Wayne's World this weekend, was pleasantly surprised to find that the actual riff from Stairway to Heaven is back in the movie. First time since it was in theaters, apparently.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cloks posted:

My parents were unexpectedly stuck at my house today due to a snowstorm and thanks to this thread I had the perfect movie to show them. Cabin Boy. I learned that my parents saw it in theaters and liked it enough to want to rewatch it.

The contentious classic that angered a nation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

The contentious classic that angered a nation

Chris Elliott is almost an automatic non-starter for me, but holy poo poo, that's a stacked cast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I considered it during the last Kino sale based on this thread, but couldn’t even get through the trailer.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I saw Cabin Boy on the big screen a couple years back, there was probably 50 people there, but every minute of that movie there's something happening that's making just one person lose their poo poo at how funny it is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Cabin Boy is fantastic.

My, at the time 9 year old brother really, really wanted to see it, so my mom acquiesced and took us to see it in theaters. My mom was livid, and it was to her, the worst movie she'd ever seen.

I watched it a few years back and it's definitely better now, the world wasn't quit ready for it back then.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I liked cabin boy when it came out, but I also liked other Chris Elliot stuff like get a life and eagleheart (later on)

I can easily see how people hate it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my DOTD 04 arrived from shout factory today with the poster. lookin pretty good, except that the way they put/taped the paper wrap around the poster to put it in the tube caused a small tear at the top of the poster. i'm not tremendously heartbroken about it and i'm sure it'll look fine when framed but mildly disappointing i guess. time to enjoy a nice new 4K UHD tho

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like Shout's Posters in theory, but man I recently did a redress of my apartment and framed some stuff in tubes and moved some things around to freshen up in the new year and those just arent getting put up. I've got like 6 of them tubed, probably should just sell them.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i don't normally put up the posters for any limited/collectors edition stuff i pick up, but DOTD04 is an all-time favorite and is definitely getting hung up for me, with or without the tiny rip

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

barnold posted:

my DOTD 04 arrived from shout factory today with the poster. lookin pretty good, except that the way they put/taped the paper wrap around the poster to put it in the tube caused a small tear at the top of the poster. i'm not tremendously heartbroken about it and i'm sure it'll look fine when framed but mildly disappointing i guess. time to enjoy a nice new 4K UHD tho

Good frame job will cover that easily. Also, think of it as more authentic, more DOTD!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of - where can I go to buy classic posters? Looking for the original Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

Good frame job will cover that easily. Also, think of it as more authentic, more DOTD!

trip to the framer scheduled for saturday :toot: what's worse than the poster rip is that i accidentally grabbed the loving plastic cover to the blu-ray case when taking the shrinkwrap off and completely mangled it. a new empty 3-disc black UHD case is now on order...i truly am a dipshit lol

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

barnold posted:

Last time I got a poster from Should Factory it came folded, so I'd say that's a big improvement.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

worms butthole guy posted:

Speaking of - where can I go to buy classic posters? Looking for the original Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead

If you're fine with reprints, I've bought a bunch of stuff from moviepostershop.com and they have by far the best selection of any site I've seen. It's pretty clearly a grey market operation, so quality can vary depending on the source material. On the plus side it's $20 for a 27"x40" so it's not like it's an expensive gamble.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Fine with me :D

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I gotta stop visiting this thread while high. Was reading it last night and thought "yeah I'll just grab waynes world for that sweet stairway riff".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Framing stuff makes collecting physical media look like a cheap hobby. I got a 4’x5’ topo map of my hometown framed and it was like $650 even on sale and after moving to a cheaper frame.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kingtheninja posted:

I gotta stop visiting this thread while high. Was reading it last night and thought "yeah I'll just grab waynes world for that sweet stairway riff".

What's wrong with that?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Framing stuff makes collecting physical media look like a cheap hobby. I got a 4’x5’ topo map of my hometown framed and it was like $650 even on sale and after moving to a cheaper frame.

Buying an A2 print while living in the US is a costly mistake. I relented and just stuck it in an 18x24 frame.

As for posters that come with movies, i usually never frame them because 1. Too many brainworms (can't decrease the value!!) and 2. I don't like folded posters. The exception was the new ATHF poster, because it didn't fit in the case and it shipped stuffed under the slipcover and that was no bueno. So i flattened the dumb thing out as best i could and threw it in an 18x24.

I'm also too lazy to ever hang anything so I have a dozen about 20 framed things that just sit around wherever like some awful bachelor pad.

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 24, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever put anything in a frame that cost more than the framing itself did.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I spent too much framing this Kevin Tong variant ‘Hannibal’ print.

$560

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
GKIDS you loving cowards release a Pom Poko steelbook already.

pwn
May 27, 2004

A tastefully-rendered minimalist tanuki sack design

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

I made that same decision sober.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey maybe one of you nerds will know this. Do the Time Life Beavis and Butthead DVDs contain any episodes that aren't on the Mike Judge Collection? I've tried to google this but I've found nothing helpful on the subject.

dorium posted:

I spent too much framing this Kevin Tong variant ‘Hannibal’ print.

$560

Everyone knows Hannibal rode an elephant not a reindeer. You got ripped off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

pwn posted:

A tastefully-rendered minimalist tanuki sack design

I've almost got the full set of Ghibli steelbooks, but I've realized that the movies they haven't done yet include the movies they would be least likely to do if they decided not to do them all, and I'm not happy with the idea that I'd have all of the Ghibli movies in these lovely editions except a couple weird ones or ones they couldn't get the licensing for.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I don't think I could own Grave of the fireflies let alone watch it a second time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever put anything in a frame that cost more than the framing itself did.
The print was only $20-$30. The framing job alone was $650 by itself. Also it didn’t fit in the back of my car so I had to have my dad drive it down in the bed of his truck. It sat in the tube for a few years when I realized I’d bitten off too much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I bought a 43x62 War of the Worlds poster that’ll likely never go up because I keep choking on the framing costs. Maybe when I move and can price it into a mortgage

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I learned some conservation framing techniques and have been framing my own art for a while now to "save money".

Next month I'm buying a professional mat cutter because I've convinced myself I can break even after ~15 frames, and 5min ago I spent $150 on supplies to finish assembling two items. I had to add a new budget line item called Framing, lol.

At least some of them look pretty good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Hey maybe one of you nerds will know this. Do the Time Life Beavis and Butthead DVDs contain any episodes that aren't on the Mike Judge Collection? I've tried to google this but I've found nothing helpful on the subject.

I really don't know but you should check your PMs

Sirotan posted:

I learned some conservation framing techniques and have been framing my own art for a while now to "save money".

Next month I'm buying a professional mat cutter because I've convinced myself I can break even after ~15 frames, and 5min ago I spent $150 on supplies to finish assembling two items. I had to add a new budget line item called Framing, lol.

God drat it, that looks fantastic. And I think I'm fancy because I got me some framer's tape and buffered tissue paper for my babby-tier frame jobs

Gripweed posted:

I've almost got the full set of Ghibli steelbooks, but I've realized that the movies they haven't done yet include the movies they would be least likely to do if they decided not to do them all, and I'm not happy with the idea that I'd have all of the Ghibli movies in these lovely editions except a couple weird ones or ones they couldn't get the licensing for.

GKids won't be getting Grave of the Firefies but there is a Region B Studio Canal Steel which should fit in well enough:

It looks like this on the shelf. I shot this a few weeks back

I got Fireflies a few years ago, don't know the current availability. If anyone ever did a slipped release where it would better match my GKids slips I would be happy to part with the steel. I like the GKids steels well enough but no way was I starting over for them, this was mad stupid expensive, even with like half of these being bought for $13 each when BB was having a big sale back in (checks notes) March 2018. Five years! Jesus.

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 24, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

A bunch of dumb poo poo came in today.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh yeah, that reminds me that I bought Surf II :v:

I watched Tragedy Girls the other day, and ten minutes in I remembered that I had already seen it. I must've been pretty drunk the first time. Still a good movie, easily worth :10bux:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

that's nuts, although that's a pretty big map. I have a few framed vintage posters (27" x 41") that I got done at a local custom framing shop and even with the fancy museum glass they were like $150.

A good framer can also make any rips/tears pretty much invisible. One of my posters has a tear along a crease where it was folded plus some other small flaws, and you can't see any of them in the frame.

Sirotan posted:

those look awesome!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Still havent received a shipping notice for any of my VinSyn stuff :cry:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

Still havent received a shipping notice for any of my VinSyn stuff :cry:

I reupped my sub then bought the stuff over the week release schedule and got my shipping notification yesterday, so it's coming!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

I can top that - I saw the poster conversation and was searching eBay to get an idea of the price range for the posters mentioned. I saw the Land of the Dead poster on eBay for $50 and didn't realize that Romero's signature was printed on all of them so I mistakenly thought it was signed and mislisted and pulled the trigger immediately. I was able to cancel, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Best Buys new delivery service loving sucks. It's called Roadie and the delivery guy didnt even attempt to leave the package inside of my apartment lobby. Dude left it outside and it got stolen.