Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is there a full release of the coloured version yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've reached past where I stopped reading JJL and

Stand Name: Doggystyle

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Fo-shizzle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

I love how everyone always reacts to that. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:stare:

what the fuuuuuck with that yasuho flashback

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It is a nice looking hairclip though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yasuho had a hard life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

....70 years old....

E: 89 years old?!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 23, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was okay.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s in the middle of the pack I’d say

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jojolion kinda feels like Part 5 to me - tons of individually great fights, but the whole is kind of less than the sum of its parts.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It'll be a lot better when the anime fixes stuff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And even weak Jojo is pretty drat good manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best part of Jojolion was people trying to convince themselves it wasn’t ending even after Yasuho said “the real Jojolion was the friends we made along the way”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A literal "hey that's the name of the show"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The best part of Jojolion was people trying to convince themselves it wasn’t ending even after Yasuho said “the real Jojolion was the friends we made along the way”

It's only the halfway point

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The final fight is gonna start any chapter just you wait! Joubin is planning something and is definitely not dead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Still.....89 years old?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think Wonder of U is the perfect final boss stand for the sort of story JJL tells, in addition to having an absolutely iconic design, and Tooru is the perfect antagonist to pair against Gappy, even though he does show up pretty late in the story.

I binged JJL recently, having dropped off of the manga a little after the stand battle with Urban Guerrilla and Doremifasolati Do ("I'll just binge it when it's over," I said, and then forgot to binge it after it was over) and maybe it might just be recency bias or not having a month to wait and get worked up/forget things in between chapters but I thought it was excellent from start to finish and a great continuation of the themes and metaphysics Araki developed through SBR. While it's definitely not my favorite part I think it's Araki's most emotionally mature work so far and I'm excited to see how he'll build upon its themes in Part 9.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Radio Gaga on its own is a fine Jojo fight, but it really had no business being there. It's like Rolling Stone, except Rolling Stone at least had the characters of the part it was in and had thematic relevance. Radio Gaga was just hey here's Joseph see you in Jojolands oops I ran out of room to give the actual story a substantial epilogue.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I really should get to reading part 8... but also I don't exactly see the need to rush it as I did with part 7. It sounds like it's ok but not the best.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJolion has some really high highs and some fairly low lows.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also araki doesn't really understand what a mystery is

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yinlock posted:

also araki doesn't really understand what a mystery is

Araki's idea of how a mystery story should be structured seems to be based on episodes of Columbo. Which isn't bad, but it's mostly good for things that are mysteries for the characters to try and solve, not the reader

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jojolion gave us Beetle Tendency and for that alone it will always have a place in my heart.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jojolion gave us Beetle Tendency and for that alone it will always have a place in my heart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, once you get into the second half, it does become a bit of a page turner.

And it has a man named Dolomite.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I love the rock humans and I wish Araki had done more infodumps about their weird biology and life cycle. remember when Josuke defeated Yotsuyu and Norisuke was like "did you see his dick tho"

JJL is honestly peak jojo weirdness and I cannot wait to see it animated 6 years from now

And tbh the whole story goes down a lot easier when you look at it as less of "a story in the mystery genre" as it initially appears and more of a Mystery as in the Christian idea of a "divine mystery." Hence the title, JoJoLion, the "blessed JoJo" or "the gospel of JoJo," with Josuke's birth essentially being an act of divine providence, something that only happened because several improbable things all miraculously aligned (conversely, Wonder of U is a "bad miracle", or Calamity).

There's a fan theory that the creation of Josuke all the way up to Soft and Wet: Go Beyond is the consequence of Johnny trying to use Tusk Act 4 and the infinite rotation to save his son, and while it had initially seemed to fail that single attack's consequences reverberated throughout history all the way to the eventual defeat of Wonder of U and the release of the Higashikata family from the grip of Calamity and I find it to be a very compelling lens to view the plot through. JJL does so many interesting things and I just love rotating it in my mind

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Still can't believe Yashuo actually said "This is a real Jojolion, guys"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thinking about Joshuu's small rear end arm and laughing all over again

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My favorite part of JoJoLion is when JoJoLion said "It's JoJoLion-ing time" and JoJoLion'ed all over those guys

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thinking about Joshuu's small rear end arm and laughing all over again

cant even jerk off :smith:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

cant even jerk off :smith:

Are you kidding? He now exclusively uses that as his whackin' arm. It makes his dick look huge

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought it was extremely funny how Ojiro came back as one of the last enemy stand users and still got chumped

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought it was extremely funny how Ojiro came back as one of the last enemy stand users and still got chumped

Absolute man of the land energy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, once you get into the second half, it does become a bit of a page turner.

And it has a man named Dolomite.

I felt the other way around, honestly. Beating Damo gave Josuke all of the answers he was looking for, and the second half introduced a bunch of jerks he had no real relationship with, which made their conflicts less interesting to me.

Waffleman_ posted:

He got in shape just to eat poo poo harder than anyone ever has.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 25, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JJL absolutely peaked with Vitamin C, your boy Damo.

Which is also roughly 50% in :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

JJL absolutely peaked with Vitamin C, your boy Damo.

Which is also roughly 50% in :v:

i'm still surprised he wasn't the final boss. terrifying stand and direct connection to the entire plot, and he just eats poo poo almost immediately

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was definitely a big misstep for him and Yotsuyu's gang to have been done in so early.
Smacks to me of the lack of general plan he had with JJL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JoJolion would be a decent to good part if it ended on Vitamin C.