Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

People who pick up medipacks and refuse to use them even at the very last stand of a mission while their teammates are spamming the "Need healing!" button

:negative:

Medipacks are only for using in the most dire circumstances! It's inefficient to use them if anyone on your team has more than half their health left!

*dies from random pox walker*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Gotta save them for darktide 2.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

if we save enough medpacks til the end of the mission maybe it'll heal the game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The healing consumables in VT2 were better than the medicae + medpacks in Darktide imo. Another thing they should have just ported over.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vargs posted:

The healing consumables in VT2 were better than the medicae + medpacks in Darktide imo. Another thing they should have just ported over.

Idk I kind of like how healing works here. Rather then deploying it when someone has low health you're constantly managing the needs of the group here, and sometimes it's worth it to drop a heal even if people aren't falling over dead. I just wish the game made it more obvious when someone dropped one. Highlight it like a teammate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like healing better in DT as well. Players need less innate knowledge on when to grab it, when to use it, etc.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The healing supply dance in V2 where everyone pings bandages or draughts for a minute and then still uses the wrong thing - I'm glad its gone. Group heal packs are a definite improvement.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The bespoke healing stations are also great for level design IMO. The game designers can know the players are gonna be topped off for health (instead of hoarding their health items) and can craft the encounters accordingly.

The medpacks also force you to think about the whole group's health instead of being selfish about it. It also works wonders on holdout sections since it gives you a nice little area of extra tankiness.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 24, 2023

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm not really prefering the medpacks to DTs approach, but I'm missing those temporary health boosts.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

The bespoke healing stations are also great for level design IMO. The game designers can know the players are gonna be topped off for health (instead of hoarding their health items) and can craft the encounters accordingly.

The medpacks also force you to think about the whole group's health instead of being selfish about it. It also works wonders on holdout sections since it gives you a nice little area of extra tankiness.

Yeah 4 use medicae stations are pretty much checkpoints before another big challenging area, while the 2 use medicae stations on a bad run turn into a real Sophie's choice moment.

I also prefer medkits being a group heal instead of juggling potions and medkits and random traits that prefer one over the other on certain people and it means if you get that one person who is chugging all the healing when they get buttstabbed they are at least healing the rest too, that combined with the wound system means you need to drop them a bit preemptively instead of waiting until after the pickup.

Pretty much everything gameplay related is really, really good in the game, it's just everything that's between the gameplay and the prep before the gameplay that is lacking.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 24, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The only thing I don't like about healing in this, is that very occaisionally you have to put a power battery in the medicare station. I hate it because I theory that's really cool, but in practice the battery is always right near it, and either everyone ignores it because they don't actually need healing at that point, or else it's sort of busy work, because they only tend to appear when you have down time anyway.

I can count the times it's been a frantic haul to get it there to save the day on my list of 2023 patchnotes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, the battery doesn't add much, I thought higher difficulty levels would mean the battery would be further away from the medicae station, maybe a good full room or two behind or beyond the station, but no, it's almost always within eyesight.

It's nice to get a guaranteed 4 uses at least.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think even after all this time, people still don't realise they actually have a medipacks on them. Should be glowing neon by default with a setting to turn it off so people get annoyed, realize the icon is there and now they remember it.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

dogstile posted:

I think even after all this time, people still don't realise they actually have a medipacks on them. Should be glowing neon by default with a setting to turn it off so people get annoyed, realize the icon is there and now they remember it.

I used to complain about that until I caught myself being that guy yesterday, :feelsbadman:

Passburger fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 24, 2023

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Me, I am the guy who remembers to puts down the medipack after I found a new medipack.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Then you have the guys who throw down the medipack right around the corner from a medicae station.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Then you have the guys who throw down the medipack right around the corner from a medicae station.

This gets me everytime. Like especially for the set piece medicae, I had someone throw down a medicae pack in the hallway the button to open the door to the finale for the train ammo raid mission.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
They should make the missions different when you replay them instead of entirely the same poo poo over and over

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

UP AND ADAM posted:

They should make the missions different when you replay them instead of entirely the same poo poo over and over

I'mma disagree because being able to learn a level in this style of game is important imo. Game needs more environment variety for sure though, even though I enjoy the 40k aesthetic that is in so far.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yea I think knowing how to proceed - where you can go hard because theres a med coming up and when you need to ration - how to defend and play out certain rooms is a good thing to have in a game. It gives you a feeling of improvement and becoming experienced at the game.

That being said I wouldn't mind a procedural Space Hulk / Underhive type thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Give me space hulk - deathwing but actually make it good.

Also make us all guardsmen and have hordes of us. 32 player teams, lovely weapons. Really give us the "oh poo poo we should probably call in a terminator squad" feeling.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Space Hulk: Meat is cheaper than Steel

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
At least four to five waves to complete the mission, expectation that your team will wipe multiple times

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
That's the exact premise of the Natural Selection games!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/Natural_Selection_2/

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Enjoy posted:

That's the exact premise of the Natural Selection games!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/Natural_Selection_2/

Does NS2 have a coop / pve mode? I remember following that game a lot pre release but by the time it was out I ended up sucking at and disliking because of, competitive shooters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Fishstick posted:

Does NS2 have a coop / pve mode? I remember following that game a lot pre release but by the time it was out I ended up sucking at and disliking because of, competitive shooters.

there are bots you can play against but idk how good they are, it's been a long time since i played. came out a decade ago :corsair:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

dogstile posted:

Give me space hulk - deathwing but actually make it good.

Nah. Make it Deathwatch. Then everyone could play their favourite chapter and you could add even more feat customisation with chapter traits.

It would also make far more sense how you could plow through hundreds of dudes while soaking up so much punishment.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Kaysette posted:

there are bots you can play against but idk how good they are, it's been a long time since i played. came out a decade ago :corsair:

I dipped back into NS2 a year or so ago. I was pleased to see that there were still (a few) active servers, and the community was mostly pretty chill. I'd say give it a shot, especially playing as marines it's not exactly a twitch shooter, since you're at the mercy of your commander's decisions and you generally want to avoid going anywhere alone anyway. It's pretty rare for anyone to get mad at you for dying or failing to kill an alien.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jerkface posted:

That being said I wouldn't mind a procedural Space Hulk / Underhive type thing.
In theory this should be easy for them to do because it's exactly what Chaos Wastes is in VT2. They've even gone down the "reusable level chunks" road (which is how CW maps are built) with the standard DT missions.

Being Fatshark of course they'll have completely forgotten that any of that exists, and so will rewrite all the code from scratch and it will be buggy and screwed up for the first year and a half :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah I thought pre-release that the highly praised chaos wastes would be reused and you'd go down different pre-fab sections of levels on different playthroughs, but guess not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We got the lack of identity/memorability caused by reuse of prefab level chunks without the increased raw number of maps you would expect that approach to enable. Win-win!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/open-letter-to-our-players/73874

:fatshark:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

good, imo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Hey finally they said something!!! Imagine if they dropped this in January... Now where is the community update with actual changes?!?!

Though I'm a bit sad they are also dumping the seasonal content for now...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Progress is still progress.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
But... but my hazard stripe cosmetics?? ?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Hey finally they said something!!! Imagine if they dropped this in January... Now where is the community update with actual changes?!?!

Though I'm a bit sad they are also dumping the seasonal content for now...

It's still January :haw:

Though I was looking forward to the cosmetics refresh, ah well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ijyt posted:

It's still January :haw:

Though I was looking forward to the cosmetics refresh, ah well.

Oh yea early january!!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
They're gonna have to scrap the current loot system. Sure, being able to change or upgrade blessings will reduce the grind, but then what? It's still dull and uninspired. It was a huge mistake not to rip off COD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
RIP Xbox havers. Y'all died for our sins