Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Framboise posted:

I know that it's apples and oranges here because room size, but I have a Rumble 25 and I have the volume at almost the bare minimum and it still rattles everything in my office. I'm almost scared to see what'd happen if I cranked that sucker.

I've got a Rumble 25 and a Rumble 40, and have found that the 25 doesn't do quiet very well. It goes from silent to pretty dang loud very early in the volume knob, but then it runs out of gas and gets drowned out. The 40 is a lot more sensitive at low volume levels and gets significantly louder if you really crank it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I wish the 40 had an effects loop. And by that I mean, I wish I had bought the 100

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: You should see this book's advice on pedals.

post those hot takes

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

I wish the 40 had an effects loop. And by that I mean, I wish I had bought the 100

100% agreed... which is actually about half the reason why I upgraded from the 40 to the 100. I loved the sound and the look, and it's light as hell, but I wanted an effects loop. I even used it a few times.

Turbinosamente posted:

You should see this book's advice on pedals.

Noise Machine posted:

post those hot takes

Seconded.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's half sensible, half hot take. I'll take a picture of the relevant passage after work in a couple hours.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Style of bass playing, tubes vs solid state, drummer volume, and guitarist behavior all affect bass amp requirements.

Tube guitar amps sound good pushed loud, solid state bass amps generally don’t.
Some bassists play at fairly even levels, some like to hit an occasional note really hard for dramatic effect. Takes more power.
I used to play a 200w Thunderverb guitar head while the bass used a 60w Bassman. Volumes were fine because I wasn’t playing my amp very loud. A good master volume or attenuator makes guitar amp wattage less relevant.

Figure out what sound you want to make, how loud you want to make it, and get an amp that will do that with volume to spare.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

As an aside what about the tc electronics compact 200w bass head? I've often thought about it even though I don't need it and you could attach it to whatever gently caress off speaker cabinet you find.
I have the 250W version in a 1x15 cabinet. It is... ok? I find it kind of dull and lifeless. Great practice / small venue amp (very light, very portable), or if you are running a signal chain. But on its own it just doesn't do anything for me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What I love about playing bass is just how essential we are. I derive a huge amount of pressure when I'm playing with the band and I gently caress-up and everything grinds to a halt, because the drummer gets off-beat, the guitarist is on the wrong chord and the singer can't find their place in the song.

Seriously, it's giving me an ego. If the guitarist fucks up no one cares, if the drummer speeds up, but I can keep up, well now we're all playing faster. The singer constantly looks for me to know where she's at. It's great.

The couple of times I can't go to a practice I've gotten texts being like "We tried some stuff, but called it early." Because they can't do it without the bass.

Anyway I'm hopefully going to get a rather beat up looking (that sounds good) 100W Fender Rumble for 140 euro for the school.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This might not be as spicy as you guys were hoping, but here is what book dude says about effect pedals.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

this author seems well meaning but uh, I get the feeling he's coming from a very specific point of view.

Also, clearly this guy doesn't listen to Doug Wimbish/Living Color

I'm also willing to bet this copy was written MUCH earlier than 2008, but just republished in 2008.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Their pedal takes are pretty dated.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What I love about playing bass is just how essential we are. I derive a huge amount of pressure when I'm playing with the band and I gently caress-up and everything grinds to a halt, because the drummer gets off-beat, the guitarist is on the wrong chord and the singer can't find their place in the song.

Seriously, it's giving me an ego. If the guitarist fucks up no one cares, if the drummer speeds up, but I can keep up, well now we're all playing faster. The singer constantly looks for me to know where she's at. It's great.

The couple of times I can't go to a practice I've gotten texts being like "We tried some stuff, but called it early." Because they can't do it without the bass.

Anyway I'm hopefully going to get a rather beat up looking (that sounds good) 100W Fender Rumble for 140 euro for the school.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Lol this gave me a loving nervous complex my first few years, until I got comfortable enough that I was happy to be hingepoint of a band, just to make sure its doing the right thing.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

the guy recommending a Mutron III around 2008 is also extremely out-of-touch. That cost like several hundred dollars two decades ago on the used market to find one in *just* OK shape

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The author is somebody named Glenn Letsch, who apparently has quite a career but the concert part is somewhat rooted in the 1980s. The bio blurb say has been on stage or in the bands of "Robin Trower, Gamma, Montrose, Gregg Allman, Jonathan Cain, and Neal Schon." And there is an anecdote about the time he was in Gamma opening for AC/DC on the US leg of the Back in Black tour. So I guess that might explain it?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Shageletic posted:

I've actually made it a policy after years of playing with singer song writers and being kept in a musical box essentially to not play with them. I used to accomplish this by focusing on cover bands but now I'm in a project that's an original rock triad with a former bassist now current guitarist handling most singing duties. There's a level of control over what you can play but I've had to counter this by writing and ugh, singing my own songs.

A truly pyrrhic victory if there was one

My best friend who is basically a brother at this point was an incredibly talented drummer and percussionist. I was "A Good Bass Player." We lived together for ages.

The loving endless requests for, "Can you both come play our session? No, it doesn't pay. No, we don't have anything charted or recorded other than an unmastered demo put down on a Speak N' Spell that sorta records audio for you to hear first. But man, THE EXPOSURE!!!" from people with zero standing in the industry wore is down to the point where neither of us really play anymore. We just cannot stand being around your average Music People.

I also had an industry adjacent job for many years, requiring me to regularly fly out and visit every loving Sam Ash Music Shop in America. All forty-seven of them. Fifty plus Guitar Centers, too.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

The author is somebody named Glenn Letsch, who apparently has quite a career but the concert part is somewhat rooted in the 1980s. The bio blurb say has been on stage or in the bands of "Robin Trower, Gamma, Montrose, Gregg Allman, Jonathan Cain, and Neal Schon." And there is an anecdote about the time he was in Gamma opening for AC/DC on the US leg of the Back in Black tour. So I guess that might explain it?

Apart from whatever the Journey guys were doing, those are all 70s style bluesy hard or southern rock bands, so his perspective probably isn't relevant to most people in the thread at this point. I'm sure he was using tube amps, etc.

Haven't heard him with Trower or Montrose, but those Gamma albums were pretty good, if you like that sort of thing. Nice warm full bass sound.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
So after a long-ish self deliberation I decided to check out this new fanned fret fad, and I got myself this little beauty:

The biggest surprise came from a completely different aspect of it. Fanned frets sorta bothered me a bit for the first few minutes, but the fret size totally blew me away. This beauty has mandolin frets, and I can't really sing them enough praise. Most comfortable frets I ever played!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

adary posted:

So after a long-ish self deliberation I decided to check out this new fanned fret fad, and I got myself this little beauty:

https://imgur.com/a/vMlkbV2

The biggest surprise came from a completely different aspect of it. Fanned frets sorta bothered me a bit for the first few minutes, but the fret size totally blew me away. This beauty has mandolin frets, and I can't really sing them enough praise. Most comfortable frets I ever played!

That's awesome! I saw your post unfold as you edited it lol, first no image, then a [urk], then the link, now the image lol. Thought about getting something fanned as well, give us a trip report as to how switching back and forth feels if you continue to use something non-fanned at the same time.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

That's awesome! I saw your post unfold as you edited it lol, first no image, then a [urk], then the link, now the image lol.
Yeah I'm a bit rusty when it comes to posting here. Need to work on that!

Thought about getting something fanned as well, give us a trip report as to how switching back and forth feels if you continue to use something non-fanned at the same time.
Switching back and forth is a non issue. I have a few more basses, and the green meanie is the only fanned one I have. Bigger issue with switching in all honesty is going from a 6 string back to a 4 string.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I built a fanned fret 5 string a few years ago and it does take some time to get used to the fret board but I gave the B a 36" scale length and it takes away all of the low B flub.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
My fingers are itching for a 5 or 6 string fanned bass. Too bad the only decent ones I can get in my neck of the woods are the Dingwalls of expensive variety. Gotta figure out how to convince the wife that I need yet another $3k bass.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

These fanned frets is giving me vertigo

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Getting to below 0ºC at night and now every fret it sticking out

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Captain Splendid posted:

Getting to below 0ºC at night and now every fret it sticking out

I don't worry as much about my electrics - everything that would have had fret sprout has been to my luthier to have it addressed - but my acoustics live in their case once the heat comes on. I've tried a couple of different types of humidifiers, but I've been happiest with Boveda. No refilling or leak worries like the Oasis crystal ones I used to use. Just check it every couple of weeks and replace when it starts feeling hard. They seem to last a good amount of time for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Humidity-Control-Starter-Instruments/dp/B08F81TK6M

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

adary posted:

My fingers are itching for a 5 or 6 string fanned bass. Too bad the only decent ones I can get in my neck of the woods are the Dingwalls of expensive variety. Gotta figure out how to convince the wife that I need yet another $3k bass.

I really regret not buying the ML1B fanned 4 by Chapman when it was available, it's gorgeous and not ultra bank breaking for what was reviewed as a pretty nice piece of kit. The standard Ibanez I picked up somewhat fills the "looks" void, but I would like to try fanned frets at some point.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

I really regret not buying the ML1B fanned 4 by Chapman when it was available, it's gorgeous and not ultra bank breaking for what was reviewed as a pretty nice piece of kit. The standard Ibanez I picked up somewhat fills the "looks" void, but I would like to try fanned frets at some point.

I don't have the bestest experience with Chapman. I have only one guitar though, but it feels like it's worth less than what I paid for it (which wasn't that much to begin with).

I am looking at one of those new Ibanez headless fanned fret ones, particularly the EHB1005SMS one

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Log posted:

My best friend who is basically a brother at this point was an incredibly talented drummer and percussionist. I was "A Good Bass Player." We lived together for ages.

The loving endless requests for, "Can you both come play our session? No, it doesn't pay. No, we don't have anything charted or recorded other than an unmastered demo put down on a Speak N' Spell that sorta records audio for you to hear first. But man, THE EXPOSURE!!!" from people with zero standing in the industry wore is down to the point where neither of us really play anymore. We just cannot stand being around your average Music People.

I also had an industry adjacent job for many years, requiring me to regularly fly out and visit every loving Sam Ash Music Shop in America. All forty-seven of them. Fifty plus Guitar Centers, too.

Forgot to reply on this. But I really do think there's a slightly different music culture depending on which big city you reside in.

In NYC, there's a lot of people from abroad and across America who are really into living the streetlife and grittiness of 80s music and films, and you can see it in their search and need for authenticity that they think they need (versus older local musicians who want to relive their lives from the 80s or 90s, where cover gigs actually paid you a bunch of money). So alot of "indie" labels, home-brewed albums, wanting to work in cool bars and coffee shops, and also asking you to work for free, but for the "MUSIC", rather than for "EXPOSURE" to be famous.

There are a few musicians I've met (this number drastically reduces as they round 30,) who talk about "MAKING IT", but I've learned to avoid those types of people, because if they're that crack-brained about that, their music usually is too. Playing with people with real jobs or a realistic view of what is essentially a creative and non-lucrative pursuit has made music and jamming still super fun for me.

But yeah meeting ppl too high on their farts (Jazz dudes and their attitudes, especially in NYC, is a whole other pickle of crap) can be a bummer, I can see that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

adary posted:

I don't have the bestest experience with Chapman. I have only one guitar though, but it feels like it's worth less than what I paid for it (which wasn't that much to begin with).

I am looking at one of those new Ibanez headless fanned fret ones, particularly the EHB1005SMS one

I also have a Chapman guitar, the OG Ghost Fret. I think it plays like a $700 or whatever it was guitar, the pickups do leave a bit to be desired though. I'm quite happy with the Ibanez, SR1600B. It sounds great, plays great, and is definitely not hard on the eyes.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Put pedals on a new board. Moved knobs fussing with positioning and rip tone. Starting from scratch. Take recall pics folks.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

I also have a Chapman guitar, the OG Ghost Fret. I think it plays like a $700 or whatever it was guitar, the pickups do leave a bit to be desired though. I'm quite happy with the Ibanez, SR1600B. It sounds great, plays great, and is definitely not hard on the eyes.

Looks like we have quite a similar taste in Guitars. This is my Chapman:

Original pickups in it are terrible, so I replaced the bridge to a Duncan Dime signature, but my big problem with it is that it just wont stay in tune. Nut was replaced already to not-a-piece-of-plastic, but I think I will have to replace the tuners as well one day.

And that Ibanez is nice. I mostly had good experiences with Ibanez except one short scale guitar I bought for my nephew long time ago, but I guess that one was worth exactly $150 I paid for it :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Shageletic posted:

Forgot to reply on this. But I really do think there's a slightly different music culture depending on which big city you reside in.

In NYC, there's a lot of people from abroad and across America who are really into living the streetlife and grittiness of 80s music and films, and you can see it in their search and need for authenticity that they think they need (versus older local musicians who want to relive their lives from the 80s or 90s, where cover gigs actually paid you a bunch of money). So alot of "indie" labels, home-brewed albums, wanting to work in cool bars and coffee shops, and also asking you to work for free, but for the "MUSIC", rather than for "EXPOSURE" to be famous.

There are a few musicians I've met (this number drastically reduces as they round 30,) who talk about "MAKING IT", but I've learned to avoid those types of people, because if they're that crack-brained about that, their music usually is too. Playing with people with real jobs or a realistic view of what is essentially a creative and non-lucrative pursuit has made music and jamming still super fun for me.

But yeah meeting ppl too high on their farts (Jazz dudes and their attitudes, especially in NYC, is a whole other pickle of crap) can be a bummer, I can see that.

Nashville most definitely has those types as well. The problem with the Nashville music scene is the, "Very Pretty Small Town Guy/Girl with Guitar" factor. They are everywhere, thinking Nashville is Mecca for the type of artist people will pay to see play an acoustic gig on a carpeted stage while barefoot. You know, because it's intimate. These people tend to think they are sent by God to be the next LeAnn Rhymes, when truth be told they tend to be a dime a dozen.

This is one of my worst stories -

Back in the day, so like...2000ish, I was loose friends/acquantainces with this very pretty young blonde we will call Kate who was in the professional dance group with me. While we weren't close, everyone in that group had each other's back creatively. She said she got a recording session booked by a "scout" at a multimillion dollar studio, and needed a bass player.

I begrudgingly broke my normal code of saying, "gently caress no." Of course there were no charts written out, and I had to learn the songs on the fly at the studio. But her music wasn't very good, or complicated, so whatever.

I was asked to lug in my monster bass amp and equipment for, "recording reasons." Pain in the rear end, but whatever.

I get to the studio, and the "scout" guy recording us is maybe twenty-three, which is a big red flag. It was immediately obvious he had some connection to the studio, and was only interested in loving Kate. Great, this is a great use of my time. We will call the recording guy The Creeper.

We get to recording, and he set up the drummer and guitar player in opposite rooms where none of us can see each other. Even though we are all learning this poo poo as we go. Not great when nobody knows the music or has charts. I had to scribbled out very, very advanced charts on the fly that basically said, "Verse - G...C...A? (all major) Chorus - G Major Pentatonic?"

Even though I brought my amp, they have me play in the room with the boards plugged in directly. Which means the dickhead hones in on trying to get me to play everything wrong to demonstrate what a big, professional man he is to Kate. I cannot stress enough how backwards they wanted this poo poo played, and I could tell it was the dude trying to impress Kate by bossing me around.

At one point, he found out I could play funk. So of course, they decide they want a freestyle slap solo at one point. Which is just wonderful when it's clear the songs aren't charted because Kate doesn't basically doesn't know anything past what she wants to sing. I end up kicking the solo square in the dick, doing a Chili Pepper's "Higher Ground" type of basic octave solo. It actually sounds good, so they immediately layer a guitar solo over the entire thing. Whatever, I don't care.

The Kicker - I step out to use the bathroom, and come back to The Creeper playing my bass without asking. But...

He was easily ten times better than me, playing funk and slap on a level far past what I could do.

I bluntly asked him why I was there, and he said he needed a bass player so he could focus on Kate's vocals. This guy had me blowing my free time, while demanding I play stuff wrong to prove a point to Kate, while having the ability to lay down the tracks himself. It just so turns out he brought his own bass, a $4k custom job, and brought it out to show off to Kate. The dude could blow me out of the water.

:stare:

Even better, I never got a mastered version of the songs. I have an unmastered copy of the sessions for my, "Portfolio" that sounded like they were recorded on a four-track from 1979.

That's Nashville!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Goddamn I don't know why I love studio chicanery stories like that. Probably because I'll never see the inside of one myself.

Hey Captain Log, got enough stories to publish a book and make some money off of bullshit a la the Mixerman Diaries?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugh drat my bassdolences

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Turbinosamente posted:

Goddamn I don't know why I love studio chicanery stories like that. Probably because I'll never see the inside of one myself.

Hey Captain Log, got enough stories to publish a book and make some money off of bullshit a la the Mixerman Diaries?

Nah, I wasn't that deep in the industry, even though I worked a music industry job for a couple of years. I'm putting the finishing touches on my four and fifth novels at the moment, and hoping to publish them this year. But they're boring old horror fiction.

That guitar solo they used to blow out my bass solo like two snakes loving? The guy was not a good guitar player and broke his high E string. But one take was all they wanted, and he laid down a solo that was godawful.

While I was being told exactly how to play a song incorrectly, over and over.

Also, there was a window to the room where they put the drummer. I'm five foot eleven, and I had to stand on my toes to catch a glimpse of him to just mouth, "What the gently caress!?"

If I can find the recording, I might post it so you can all laugh and laugh and laugh.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

adary posted:

Looks like we have quite a similar taste in Guitars. This is my Chapman:

Original pickups in it are terrible, so I replaced the bridge to a Duncan Dime signature, but my big problem with it is that it just wont stay in tune. Nut was replaced already to not-a-piece-of-plastic, but I think I will have to replace the tuners as well one day.

And that Ibanez is nice. I mostly had good experiences with Ibanez except one short scale guitar I bought for my nephew long time ago, but I guess that one was worth exactly $150 I paid for it :)

Eyy good taste bros :respek: I thought about swapping a set of BKP nailbombs into mine but couldn't really justify it based on the amount it gets played. Maybe someday, but for now bass is the main squeeze.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Smoking bar gig tonight. Gotta love the Show-Me State!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Oh... my pedalboard!

With the right EQ and, importantly, setting the amp up to get the high end crunch and sizzle of my overdrive and fuzz, I now no longer have issues getting the right dirty sound. Sometimes I think I'd like to get the MXR Bass Distortion, but for now, the Overdrive will do. I still like the fuzz because, man, it's just great. In the picture, the OD is set up for something that's just barely breaking up, but if I crank the drive, it's got some good distortion.

Combining the two is fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I think I’m the only bass player left whose “pedalboard” is just a Boss chromatic tuner with an octave pedal.

Oh, I have a wah pedal I’ll bring out if I’m feeling saucy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I think I’m the only bass player left whose “pedalboard” is just a Boss chromatic tuner with an octave pedal.

Physical pedalboard here is just a drop pedal lol

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Captain Log posted:

I don't have a pedal board to begin with. Bass straight to amplifier regardless of what I do .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

adary posted:

I don't have a pedal board to begin with. Bass straight to amplifier regardless of what I do .

Reminds me of a social media post I saw a few years back from a bass player whose work I enjoy (Kelly-Dawn Helmrich of Camp Cope).

Something along the lines of “People always ask me what amp and pedals I use. It’s the bass you see in my hands and whatever amp was provided by the venue, borrowed, or rented for that gig. I always plug directly into the amp because more stuff between me and the amp is more stuff that can break or go wrong. The only amp I actually own is a little broken practice amp that crackles like crazy, I use it to work out ideas at home. If you want to make music, use whatever you can get your hands on, it’ll be fine.”

E: Obviously I found that post because I went looking to see what amp she was using that made her sound so awesome lol