Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Wikipedia article currently claims:

No loving way. There is no way that 30% of people who have bought a car since 2017 have a satellite radio subscription.
Probably they're counting some sort of promotional thing that people forgot to cancel after as subscriptions or something

Edit: I actually subscribed for a month a couple years ago because there was a dumb rebate where you could actually make like $50 that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the miata has a microsd that is loaded with the maps for onboard navigation, but if you don't care about that (i.e. you use carplay like i do) you can just load it up with a shitload of mp3s instead and have a built in music library. gonna do that soon

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

the miata has a microsd that is loaded with the maps for onboard navigation, but if you don't care about that (i.e. you use carplay like i do) you can just load it up with a shitload of mp3s instead and have a built in music library. gonna do that soon
Wasn't it mazda that had some problem with some filenames bricking the entire entertainment system or something?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Linkin_park_crawling.mp3.exe, fresh off of limewire

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

my cooper s had something like this where you could just throw a bunch of poo poo on any usb mass storage, so i just used a cheap reader and a microsd card. it owned

mystes posted:

Wasn't it mazda that had some problem with some filenames bricking the entire entertainment system or something?

but it also had something like this too lol

it didn't have an infotainment system per se but it had a little multiline character lcd that did not support unicode

e: lol i had "microusb card" :doh:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 27, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mystes posted:

it was if you tried to play 99% invisible, the name was a C++ injection or some poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there was also a car stereo that got into a boot loop because of a missing/wrong file extension on a cover thumbnail

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Edit: Yep.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

there was also a car stereo that got into a boot loop because of a missing/wrong file extension on a cover thumbnail

https://driving.ca/auto-news/driver-info/older-mazdas-see-infotainment-systems-bricked-by-npr-radio-station

quote:

In a statement to The Drive, Mazda said the issue began when ‘a radio station in the Seattle area’ accidentally included album art without an image type extension” – e.g. it was missing its .jpeg or .gif suffix – “triggering the system crashes.”

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they sent hello.jpeg without a file extension and it couldn't figure out what it was

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Wikipedia article currently claims:

No loving way. There is no way that 30% of people who have bought a car since 2017 have a satellite radio subscription.

they do deals literally all the time that make it $1/mo and at that point people are like ok yeah what the heck sure

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Did you know KEXP.jpg is actually a gif?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Twerk from Home posted:

Did you know KEXP.jpg is actually a gif?

Solid Seattle joke

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Twerk from Home posted:

Sirius sounds loving awful. It is noticeably worse than FM radio. I cannot believe it still exists as a solvent company.

same reason places like Starbucks roast their beans at full hell+

consistency is a thing for some folks and being able to get the same stupid rear end in a top hat anywhere is worth the subscription, personally I just use a mirror but some folks need more stupid rear end in a top hat consistency

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

maybe if you listen to howard stern ityool 2022,
:thunk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sirius was good on ships for when you were out of range of radio and cell phone

otherwise meh I had a car where the free trial never ended and it was ok I guess

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Twerk from Home posted:

Sirius sounds loving awful. It is noticeably worse than FM radio. I cannot believe it still exists as a solvent company.
I live way the hell out in the boonies, and if I'm not under trees, Sirius has infinitely better reception than my local radio stations, which go dark during a mere 30-minute drive. I doubt that describes enough users to keep them profitable.

e: Completely out of cellphone range for most of that drive as well.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Twerk from Home posted:

how does it feel to be so wrong?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sirius has good reception out there because its low quality (implies low bandwidth). since its also a digital signal it can work acceptably with way weaker signal strength than analog fm radio

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uh stereo FM sounds a lot, lot, lot better. you won't fool us with such low effort trolling. do better

Beeftweeter posted:

since its also a digital signal it can work acceptably with way weaker signal strength than analog fm radio

this is incorrect friendo. you cant really compare signal levels between a terrestrial and satellite service anyways. If you put a typical 10kw FM broadcast transmitter in mid earth orbit you'd have full quieting music to 1/3 of the planet

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 27, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
like yeah codecs have improved today so that low bandwidth stuff can sound fine, but sirius doesn't use that lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

uh stereo FM sounds a lot, lot, lot better. you won't fool us with such low effort trolling. do better

this is incorrect friendo

"acceptably" doing a lot of heavy lifting for sure but i think a poor digital signal sounds better than the same loss with analog

e: but yeah it's not a good comparison. they're not very similar

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i guess your speakers will make some noise and its probably fine for OTR truckers or chronic road warriors, both of which probably listen to a lot of talk radio so the flaws aren't revealed, but the real benefit is that they can effectively turn your car stereo off if you don't pay this lovely little bill.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hell i don't even know if they'd turn it off lol

FrozenVent posted:

I had a car where the free trial never ended and it was ok I guess

i don't think i would use it even if it were free. its really bad quality

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

like yeah codecs have improved today so that low bandwidth stuff can sound fine, but sirius doesn't use that lol

What codec does Sirius use? Too lazy to Google

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

truckers love Sirius don’t forget all the trucks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
last i'd heard it was a proprietary variant of high efficiency aac that was developed before that actually had a spec. i don't have a source on this specifically because i honestly don't remember where i'd read it, but it follows that they can't very simply switch away from it. if they could they almost certainly would have, but i'm guessing they don't want to effectively rebroadcast everything in several formats forever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xm is apparently he-aac vbr but 96kbps or less

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Last Chance posted:

some AAC variant that sounds like rear end, between 8 and 64kbps. It’s supposed to sound like 128kbps MP3 but it sounds like poo poo

for a while they had a couple channels that broadcast 5.1 surround sound using 6 separate 64kbps data streams and a special receiver

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Last Chance posted:

it uses something called PAC (perceptual audio codec). i can't really find any details on how it works though i have a pretty good feeling that it sucks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah i mean they could have transitioned to actually using it, idk

he-aac is pretty decent at 96 kbps, but anything lower than that sounds pretty bad imo. most of the time it's obvious that it's not high bitrate, but i guess you'd have to know what to listen for

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and Sirius uses whatever PAC is at 64kbps

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sirius is pretty good for the RadioClassics Olde Tyme Radio station.

Everything else is pretty rear end sounding when you stop and listen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the woke left wants to rename it to she-aac

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have been spoiled by lame vbr because plex converts music to 128 opus which i assumed would be fine, turns out it's just okay and i was surprised to be able to hear lovely artifacts in the cymbals occasionally

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

i can believe that 96 is fine for HE-AAC. newer codecs are pretty great in that regard (and i remember ogg being pretty good back when i had a creative zen and wanted to stretch the storage out)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
opus absolutely should sound better than lame vbr at 128 kbps (cbr or otherwise). check if there's encoding settings

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ford has the good implementation of this:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/02/im-obsessed-with-the-ford-mustang-mach-e-physical-touchscreen-volume-knob/

Just put a dial on the touchscreen with a fake finger tip on the backside of it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

polyester concept posted:

I have been spoiled by lame vbr because plex converts music to 128 opus which i assumed would be fine, turns out it's just okay and i was surprised to be able to hear lovely artifacts in the cymbals occasionally

128 opus should be transparent. something else is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

susan b buffering posted:

i can believe that 96 is fine for HE-AAC. newer codecs are pretty great in that regard (and i remember ogg being pretty good back when i had a creative zen and wanted to stretch the storage out)
It’s not hard to believe; I know video probably had way more headroom on some entropy metric or whatever, but just look at DivX -> XviD -> H.264 -> H.265 and remember LAME VBR MP3 is about as old as DivX.