Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

It wasn't bad. If you have been at all invested in Garro's storyline through the siege it's a good wrap up to that, but it isn't very long at all. His showdown with daddy was done well I thought. Nothing important to the overall story will be missed if you don't read it though. It definitely reads like the last few chapters in a longer book.

It's out? I can't see a release date. Is there an ebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

a lovely king posted:

It's out? I can't see a release date. Is there an ebook?

Yeah I just received my physical copy yesterday. There is an ebook as well.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

How it started.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Hi all, super new to reading the books and getting deep into the lore (as well as collecting/painting :unsmith: )

I really enjoyed Watchers of the Throne books and the first two Dawn of Fire books (admittedly, I've slowed down in book three - I've also learned I don't think I love a series effectively being an infomercial for different stuff you can buy from GW but I still liked the books).

Are there other really good stories, particularly featuring Custodes that I could check out if goldenbois are my jam?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Hi all, super new to reading the books and getting deep into the lore (as well as collecting/painting :unsmith: )

I really enjoyed Watchers of the Throne books and the first two Dawn of Fire books (admittedly, I've slowed down in book three - I've also learned I don't think I love a series effectively being an infomercial for different stuff you can buy from GW but I still liked the books).

Are there other really good stories, particularly featuring Custodes that I could check out if goldenbois are my jam?

Watchers of the Throne are the best Custodes 40k books; the Carrion Throne series (also by Wright) has Custodes in it, but they aren't really focused on them.

If you're willing to wade into the Horus Heresy series, Master of Mankind and Valdor have some great Custodes content.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

If anyone is looking for a "what's going on now" lore wise, Arbitrator Ian put out video basically detailing the first ARks of Omen gamebook from a lore perspective, as well as giving a quick primer on everything post Robute rebirth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYNkH46C2x4

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

drgnvale posted:

Watchers of the Throne are the best Custodes 40k books; the Carrion Throne series (also by Wright) has Custodes in it, but they aren't really focused on them.

If you're willing to wade into the Horus Heresy series, Master of Mankind and Valdor have some great Custodes content.

Thanks, I'll check out Carrion Throne!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I had heard this as a rumor, but they just confirmed that the 3rd Ark of Omen book takes place on the Rock. Vash'torr invades the Rock and fights the Dark Angels. They also put up this graphic, why would they redact the subject of the 4th book unless it is a very big spoiler.

I am pretty sure we are getting The Lion back this spring boys!

Edit: A few more things:

- There have been rumors and "leaks" for a while now the Lion is coming back -
- Book 2 is about how Angron is back in real space and stronger than ever because of the rift. If he is killed he can come back within 8 weeks instead of being banished for hundreds or thousands of years. The imperium doesn't really have anything that can stop him and will need an equivalent power-up
- GW has straight up said this is the biggest new lore since Gathering Storm. Not much on its own because they hype everything but taken with the rest...

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 27, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm curious how a Khornate Farsight is worthy of being on the cover of book 4, and how it will tie it all together.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Demilich posted:

I'm curious how a Khornate Farsight is worthy of being on the cover of book 4, and how it will tie it all together.

Huh? Was there a leak of the book 4 cover?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

D-Pad posted:

Huh? Was there a leak of the book 4 cover?

It's been discussed via rumors. I think the main evidence comes from a model silhouette of said individual and the xenos logo on the book.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Demilich posted:

It's been discussed via rumors. I think the main evidence comes from a model silhouette of said individual and the xenos logo on the book.

Ah even if that is the case, I maintain the Rock being invaded by a new Chaos demi-god that's basically a whole new chaos faction is the best narrative reason we've ever gotten for the Lion to wake up. If he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Angels at least discover he is there during the fighting and are set on a path to wake him up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

D-Pad posted:

Ah even if that is the case, I maintain the Rock being invaded by a new Chaos demi-god that's basically a whole new chaos faction is the best narrative reason we've ever gotten for the Lion to wake up. If he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Angels at least discover he is there during the fighting and are set on a path to wake him up.

I also like this reinforcing of the lore around the Dark Angles having all the exotic tech to fight Mars should it have come to that back in the day.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think big E’s going to wake up. I just feel it in my bones. It feels like, with the end of the Horus Heresy, it’s time to finally shake things up something serious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh god, now Valrak is never going to shut up about the Lion.
At this point GW is just doing it to make him stop talking about it.

Also they've had that release schedule image since they first announced the first couple of Ark books. :v:

I feel Emperor waking up would undo the whole setting somewhat. That's too big of a shake up to do.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Didn't Magnus lay siege to the Fang a couple years ago without Russ showing up to help out?Or was that Ahriman

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Syncopated posted:

Didn't Magnus lay siege to the Fang a couple years ago without Russ showing up to help out?Or was that Ahriman

Battle of the Fang? That was Magnus and it ruled.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Syncopated posted:

He attacked the Fang once in M32 to destroy the Wolves' project for stabilizing their geneseed and preventing wulfen, and besieged and basically ruined the whole Fenris system later.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also Russ is maybe somewhere out in the warp while The Lion is canonically on The Rock, right?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

He's in statis somewhere deep in the Rock and like literally nobody but the little hooded oompa loompas know since they're the ones who tend to him.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Also Russ is maybe somewhere out in the warp while The Lion is canonically on The Rock, right?

Yeah, Russ went out for smokes and pinky promised he'd come back from the Warp during the Wolf Time while Lion has been stuck in a coma on The Rock. And also Cypher has his sword for Cypher reasons. Pretty much every Loyalist Primarch was given an "out" to their current state. Never found the body, in the warp, head sent back to Mars, etc.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 27, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Flytrap posted:

Yeah, Russ went out for smokes and pinky promised he'd come back from the Warp during the Wolf Time while Lion has been stuck in a coma on The Rock. And also Cypher has his sword for Cypher reasons. Pretty much every Loyalist Primarch was given an "out" to their current state. Never found the body, in the warp, head sent back to Mars, etc.

I'm kinda convinced that GW plans on eventually bringing back most/all of the primarchs but that's probably like a couple decades off. I love that the codex supplements all have lil hints about the primarchs.

Iron Hands supplement posted:

To the Kaargul, there is no greater virtue than patience. For ten millennia the company’s battle-brothers have stood sentry over the icy expanse of the Karaashi, waiting for a sign of the Primarch’s second coming. They will hold the vigil without complaint until the galaxy grows cold. The Kaargul place no stock in coincidence. There is no fortune, there are only the unbreakable bonds of cause and effect. The sons of Manus – indeed, the Imperium itself – need the father of the Iron Hands to return, and so he will. For the Kaargul, this is not faith, but elementary logic, and few within the Chapter have the heart to challenge the claim, for the thought of Manus’ return stirs emotions that even the most heavily augmented cannot easily suppress. For all that the Chaplains preach that hope is insidious, a weakness of the hated flesh, while the Kaargul maintain their vigil, hope remains.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ferrus Manus came back once already and Vulkan was like Nope, No, Nuh Uh, No Way, Nah you ain't my brother.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Does the Arks arc begin after the Indomitus Crusade ends?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Cypher thing is a good point. We are also getting the Cypher character series book soon. It might be that the DA find out the Lion is in the Rock in Ark book 3 and then we get a view into what Cypher is doing to wake him up in his book and then he wakes sometime after that.

We have gotten hints about all the loyalists returning, but the Lion has gotten the most and also has the supposed leak so I think he is most likely to be the next.

For those who haven't read the first Ark of Omen book, Vashtorr is pretty cool and basically a new faction of chaos. I'll put this info about him behind spoilers in case anybody wants to discover it themselves:

So Vashtorr is unaffiliated with any of the Chaos gods and is his own power in the warp, he is not chaos undivided. He is described as a demi-god of chaos and is specifically trying to become the 5th chaos God. He is basically the twisted warped version of the Mechanicus.

He receives power like the other gods do but from inventors, engineers, scientists, and artisans. He is empowered by acts of curiosity and innovation in the Materium, shorn of morality and driven to its darkest extremes. Despite the stagnation he gets plenty of power from the Mechanicus and I would assume the squats as well.

He rules the Soul Forges and is described as the arms dealer of the warp, providing all the chaos gods with crazy biomechanical weapons and vehicles which is why the big four don't try to take him out.

He allied with Abaddon to find a big macguffin that will supposedly allow him to ascend as the 5th god and Abaddon to finish off the imperium.

I think it's interesting that GW has created a new chaos faction which does kind of necessitate more primarchs coming back to balance things out. I am doubtful they will have him succeed in becoming a new 5th god, at least anytime soon, but it sure would make things interesting.

FPyat posted:

Does the Arks arc begin after the Indomitus Crusade ends?

No, it's during the crusade. Abaddon has named himself Warmaster of Imperium Nihilus and is taking the next steps in his grand plan. He makes dozens of Arks of Omen and sends them out to both sides of the imperium. They are extremely powerful so this is a big counter to Indomitus and should blunt all it's recent success I imagine.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 27, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's a shame they're Nick Kyme books because Vulkan gets into some pretty whackadoo situations throughout the Heresy

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Imo Vulkan should come back as a comet or whatever that crashes onto a planet amdist a bit battle with Angron or whatever. And then the doom music kicks in.

I feel like chaos gets all the cool comet related events.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Cypher thing is a good point. We are also getting the Cypher character series book soon. It might be that the DA find out the Lion is in the Rock in Ark book 3 and then we get a view into what Cypher is doing to wake him up in his book and then he wakes sometime after that.

We have gotten hints about all the loyalists returning, but the Lion has gotten the most and also has the supposed leak so I think he is most likely to be the next.

For those who haven't read the first Ark of Omen book, Vashtorr is pretty cool and basically a new faction of chaos. I'll put this info about him behind spoilers in case anybody wants to discover it themselves:

So Vashtorr is unaffiliated with any of the Chaos gods and is his own power in the warp, he is not chaos undivided. He is described as a demi-god of chaos and is specifically trying to become the 5th chaos God. He is basically the twisted warped version of the Mechanicus.

He receives power like the other gods do but from inventors, engineers, scientists, and artisans. He is empowered by acts of curiosity and innovation in the Materium, shorn of morality and driven to its darkest extremes. Despite the stagnation he gets plenty of power from the Mechanicus and I would assume the squats as well.

He rules the Soul Forges and is described as the arms dealer of the warp, providing all the chaos gods with crazy biomechanical weapons and vehicles which is why the big four don't try to take him out.

He allied with Abaddon to find a big macguffin that will supposedly allow him to ascend as the 5th god and Abaddon to finish off the imperium.

I think it's interesting that GW has created a new chaos faction which does kind of necessitate more primarchs coming back to balance things out. I am doubtful they will have him succeed in becoming a new 5th god, at least anytime soon, but it sure would make things interesting.

No, it's during the crusade. Abaddon has named himself Warmaster of Imperium Nihilus and is taking the next steps in his grand plan. He makes dozens of Arks of Omen and sends them out to both sides of the imperium. They are extremely powerful so this is a big counter to Indomitus and should blunt all it's recent success I imagine.

That's not fair, if those nerds get a Chaos god then its time for The Great Horned One, Lord of the World Below, to arrive in 40k as well. Rats love eating wires, he can be Vashtorr's nemesis. Vashtorr could see the rat machines as being a mockery of his work.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 27, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Now I'm wondering how prolific Rattus actually are in the grim dark future.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If minor gods in general can have a presence now I'd also like to see the old Eldar gods first before a whole new one (The Ynarri stuff went nowhere). I mean they're right there, being neglected. Leman Russ even went to rescue one!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Ferrus Manus came back once already and Vulkan was like Nope, No, Nuh Uh, No Way, Nah you ain't my brother.

Ghost Manus was somehow even more of a dick than regular

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

They don't exist thanks to the prolific use of small yet vicious dogs Cyber Mastiffs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Demilich posted:

Where’s the Khornate stuff coming from? I know there’s been that silhouette of the Farsight mini, but it didn’t exactly look chaosy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

They don't exist thanks to the prolific use of small yet vicious dogs Cyber Mastiffs.

Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Yvonmukluk posted:

Where’s the Khornate stuff coming from? I know there’s been that silhouette of the Farsight mini, but it didn’t exactly look chaosy.

It’s probably more to do with the history of the character. Farsight gets the Dawn Blade from a Khornate temple in the first place and it extends his life by giving him the remaining life of whoever he kills with it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

AndyElusive posted:

Profilic enough that iirc they are one of the main reason that ships get full vented during overhaul and repairs.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fehervari wrote about Farsight and his Dawn Blade a bit and then it got all ignored. Bring that back, and Calavera with him. That would especially fit if he is Khornate now.

In the Dark Coil, Farsight is working with a mysterious space marine, possibly chaos or even Alpha Legion renegade, one who is manipulating and controlling the entire local Inquisition, who is called "Calavera" as in "Skull". Farsight believes he has looked into the face of Chaos and resisted and is immune due to being Tau, but that is implied to be hubris.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 27, 2023

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's not fair, if those nerds get a Chaos god then its time for The Great Horned One, Lord of the World Below, to arrive in 40k as well. Rats love eating wires, he can be Vashtorr's nemesis. Vashtorr could see the rat machines as being a mockery of his work.

Fabius Bile should just make some Skaven. Then they can get loose and take over the underhives. Do it, Fabius.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Fehervari wrote about Farsight and his Dawn Blade a bit and then it got all ignored. Bring that back, and Calavera with him. That would especially fit if he is Khornate now.

In the Dark Coil, Farsight is working with a mysterious space marine, possibly chaos or even Alpha Legion renegade, one who is manipulating and controlling the entire local Inquisition, who is called "Calavera" as in "Skull". Farsight believes he has looked into the face of Chaos and resisted and is immune due to being Tau, but that is implied to be hubris.

Wait, Fehervari has Farsight in his books??? I thought the only Tau who showed up in those were mainline pro-Ethereal Tau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Brendan Rodgers posted:

TBF it is ambiguous if that was actually Farsight or another Tau as part of the whole gambit.
My personal theory is that The Calavera is the Chapter Magister of the Angels Resplendent, trying to ascend further with forbidden knowledge. The chaplains of the Angels Respelndent are noted as wearing the same type of bolted on skull mask, for example.

The Dark Coil is so good