Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bad Munki posted:

And every disposal is a shitter

I don't have a disposal at my rental. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uthor posted:

I don't have a disposal at my rental. :(

Just poo poo in the clothes dryer then.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Load bearing Romex is a new one.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bad Munki posted:

And every disposal is a shitter

Don't forget the lemons.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Every sink is a urinal

Only in Oklahoma.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Beef Of Ages posted:

Only in Oklahoma.

Someone's never been to north florida or rural tennessee.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone's never been to north florida

Lucky them

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Yeah, no poo poo.

I refuse to set foot in florida again. Went 3 times, all were miserable. I strongly support any future government efforts to fence florida off and mine its' coasts.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I work for a tile company. We had an office fitout job that specified a polished black absolute granite floor in the bathrooms. We installed it, everyone was thrilled, until they had the opening night party and the boss' wife used the bathroom and was able to see the lady in the stall next to her due to the fact that they basically installed a mirror on the floor. We had a guy come in and acid etch the stone in the toilet area.

We had the same thing happen in an elevator car at another building. A big 4'x4' diamond of black absolute right in the middle of the floor. It looked great until someone realized you could look up skirts in the elevator.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Why not just extend the toilet stalls all the way down to the floor?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

LimaBiker posted:

the first time I went to the us and saw this I was like "what the gently caress am I in prison or something?"

what do they think you're all gonna do in there?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the first time I went to the us and saw this I was like "what the gently caress am I in prison or something?"

what do they think you're all gonna do in there?

Drugs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

Because then it's a pain in the rear end for janitors to mop it. Putting them clear to the floor would also induce a lot of claustrophobic panic attacks.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

Because then it's a pain in the rear end for janitors to mop it. Putting them clear to the floor would also induce a lot of claustrophobic panic attacks.

Seems like other countries with more enclosed bathrooms do okay without constant panic attacks.

Edit: I always assumed the lack of privacy in American toilets was a holdover from the puritans, to make it easier to tattle on people for anything and everything.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 27, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Since they work fine literally everywhere else in the world, what you're actually saying is that Americans are somehow more prone to claustrophobia and being really poo poo at mopping.

e: Oh you meant Americans are all fat so enclosed spaces are more enclosed for them OK I guess that's true?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deteriorata posted:

This is emphatically not a factor considered in American bathroom design.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

LimaBiker posted:

Cost.

Toilet room with partitions:
Frame out a big box room, do all your plumbing.
Tile guy comes in, tiles a big box.
Plumber comes in, has easy access to hang plumbing walls.
Partition guy comes in, hangs partitions (breaking all of my tiles when he fucks up drilling through them) and you turn the room over.

Toilet room with European stalls (which is what the full ceiling to floor style is called in this area anyway)
Frame out a big room, a bunch of little rooms. Takes more time.
Tile guy comes in, tiles main floor, and a bunch of smaller floors. Takes more time
Plumber comes in, has to work in a more confined space. Takes more time
You also have to have the carpenter come in and hang doors at all of the stalls.
You also need more lighting, in a big rear end room you don't have to light the individual stalls.

Deteriorata posted:

Because then it's a pain in the rear end for janitors to mop it.

Also this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Frame out a big room, a bunch of little rooms.

No.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Tile guy comes in, tiles main floor, and a bunch of smaller floors. Takes more time

Also no.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Plumber comes in, has to work in a more confined space. Takes more time

Nope. Unless you mean after construction, which doesn't happen that often because (Northern) European toilets don't clog much.

AFewBricksShy posted:

You also have to have the carpenter come in and hang doors at all of the stalls.

You don't have doors at all in the "American style" shitter? Because if it has any kind of doors someone has to come in and install them.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
I don’t remember if Urinals-in-the-kitchen was originally posted in this thread, but it’s back on the market (for rent this time!) with…. Creepy horse pictures instead???

https://www.remax.com/mi/ferndale/home-details/3050-burdette-st-ferndale-mi-48220/14686367098913399559

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No.

Also no.

Nope. Unless you mean after construction, which doesn't happen that often because (Northern) European toilets don't clog much.

You don't have doors at all in the "American style" shitter? Because if it has any kind of doors someone has to come in and install them.

This is room with European Stalls

This is a room that has toilet partitions.

The framer has more work because they have to build out more walls.
The tiler has more work because it's not wide open.
The plumber arguably will take a little longer because they have to make their way into the smaller rooms and don't have as wide open of a space to work with as the gang one.

Toilet partitions bolt into the floor and the walls (sometimes ceiling) and from what i understand go together rather quickly.
If those two rooms were exactly the same in design and size other than the style of the toilet stalls, the one with toilet partitions would be substantially cheaper to build

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah you can get full-height partitions because, get this, where there's a market for such things, manufacturers manufacture them and sellers sell them.

Sure you can do it as separate little rooms. If you want to lose every bid to someone who doesn't.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah you can get full-height partitions because, get this, where there's a market for such things, manufacturers manufacture them and sellers sell them.

Sure you can do it as separate little rooms. If you want to lose every bid to someone who doesn't.

You're not really responding to A Few Bricks Shy.

He was describing building actual stud walls for each bay which is something we do in very high end public restrooms. Using regular architectural doors (toilet partition doors are part of the toilet partition system, it's the same installer). He was describing the process to build them. You poo poo on him for saying toilets don't clog when he was describing installing toilets and plumbing.

You could have started with the full height partitions. That's a thing for sure, not common here though. I honestly can't picture it.

Last: that's not how project bidding works. The person who owns the property and is paying for it makes those decisions. Not the general contractor, not anyone beneath them. It's not even Architects who drive that. Owners want the right design for their place, which means the majority of places we go, they want the cheapest bathrooms possible since it's a requirement and not a feature. The grocery store, a department store, and public buildings gain no value from having nicer toilet partitions, so they spec the cheapest ones possible since they use less material and are faster to hang and take less labor. Airport Lounge, Steakhouse, and a Spa gain value and swing so far the other direction that they end up with architectural doors and walls for each stall.

If we wanted full height toilet stalls it's going to take a code mandate. America is too hosed up to solve that problem anytime soon.

Be nicer, write out your thoughts instead of saying "No."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
if they had to post like that then they could probably never post again

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

I see you haven't had the pleasure of reading a Jerry Cotton post before.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Michael Scott finally got his home theater built.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wonder if that screen articulates.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

You're not really responding to A Few Bricks Shy.

He was describing building actual stud walls for each bay which is something we do in very high end public restrooms. Using regular architectural doors (toilet partition doors are part of the toilet partition system, it's the same installer). He was describing the process to build them. You poo poo on him for saying toilets don't clog when he was describing installing toilets and plumbing.

You could have started with the full height partitions. That's a thing for sure, not common here though. I honestly can't picture it.

Last: that's not how project bidding works. The person who owns the property and is paying for it makes those decisions. Not the general contractor, not anyone beneath them. It's not even Architects who drive that. Owners want the right design for their place, which means the majority of places we go, they want the cheapest bathrooms possible since it's a requirement and not a feature. The grocery store, a department store, and public buildings gain no value from having nicer toilet partitions, so they spec the cheapest ones possible since they use less material and are faster to hang and take less labor. Airport Lounge, Steakhouse, and a Spa gain value and swing so far the other direction that they end up with architectural doors and walls for each stall.

If we wanted full height toilet stalls it's going to take a code mandate. America is too hosed up to solve that problem anytime soon.

No.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

I see you haven't had the pleasure of reading a Jerry Cotton post before.

I guess I just hadn't built an association yet!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

"Hey honey, I have a vision. Boob lights."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Turns out the guy who bought the burned-down "mansion" has already set up a YouTube channel because of course. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbwv-ZbXDk

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I pray for an endless series of fists to meet his face.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

LimaBiker posted:

But then how are you supposed to get an anonymous handjob from the guy in the next stall?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cat Hatter posted:

But then how are you supposed to get an anonymous handjob from the guy in the next stall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUla_YuEVpk

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So there are plenty of partioned public toilets in Australia. The partitions often don't go all the way down to the floor or all the way up to the roof, but I was still surprised when I visited the states because the partitions are so far off the floor. Is this just to save money on materials or do Americans like to hold hands when they poo poo?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah we hold hands and sing kumbaya when someone's trying to pass their whole beef filled colon at once.

Pass this turd, ma lord, kumbaya
My rear end in a top hat hurts, ma lord, kumbaya
I need a wet wipe, kumbaya
OHHHHHHH LORD, KUMBAYA

It's a very moving ceremony.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Splode posted:

So there are plenty of partioned public toilets in Australia. The partitions often don't go all the way down to the floor or all the way up to the roof, but I was still surprised when I visited the states because the partitions are so far off the floor. Is this just to save money on materials or do Americans like to hold hands when they poo poo?

How else are republican senators from Idaho supposed to find anonymous gay sex partners in the bathrooms at the Minneapolis airport? :confused:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
What I, personally, hate in a public restroom are those highway rest stops where the stall walls only come up halfway so your head is still visible when seated.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/QZwvB2C.mp4

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Legitimately terrifying.

Its an elevator from the Final Destination writer's dreams.