Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Figured I should repost this here. TL;DR DTO is putting most factory blem stuff at 40% off (except stuff that says Final Sale generally) and also has a FREE SHIPPING COUPON. Yes, that's right, DTO has free shipping after jacking up their shipping price.

BeAuMaN posted:

Buncha stuff 40% off at Direct Tools Outlet.
I've filtered for Ship To Home, Factory Blem
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/s...evance&catalog=
And most important FREE SHIPPING with coupon code JANFREESHIP

Source (with some item picks):
https://slickdeals.net/f/16406620-direct-tools-outlet-site-40-off-almost-all-factory-blemished-products-w-free-shipping?v=1

Edit: Going to add a couple things
18V Ryobi One+ Hybrid 7.5" Fan + 2AH Battery + Charger for $30
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL811KN

If you need a fan that can sit near you and it also needs to be cordless, get this fan. $30 is a STEAL. Further, it's "hybrid" because you can also plug it into an extension cord (it has a male plug underneath where the battery normally sits) and power it off wall power. A user on slickdeals tested runtime on a 4AH battery on each of the 3 fan speeds.
Low: ~41 hrs; Medium: ~12.5 hrs; High: ~7.5 hrs.
Charge time for 4AH battery: ~2 hrs.
But of course this particular one comes with a 2AH, but that's pretty good runtime. I think it's fairly good and this is the newer fan model.

18V Ryobi One+ Oil-free Pole Saw w/ 8" saw blade + 1.5Ah Battery + Charger for $108
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2510
If you also want the kit that has the seperate 8" hand/pruning chainsaw, that'll run you $150... but paying another $42 for the hand/pruning chainsaw isn't that hot of a deal imo:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

Two goons asked me to ping them on this. Yes, it is Oil-free. A chainsaw you don't have to oil! What foul magic is this? According to the sales rep in this video, Ryobi did some testing on solving the oil leaking problem, and they found if a chainsaw is running a chain slower than 5 meters/sec, then it doesn't need oil. That's why they don't have any big oil-free chainsaws, but these little guys. Anyhow, I yoinked one around Black Friday and used it on a tree and it worked fine. I think the chain came loose at a certain point, but otherwise it had no issues, cut just fine. Then I got hella sick and haven't used it since. Comes with battery and charger; the 1.5Ah is plenty of battery to deal with a few trees. So if you want a pole saw that's not going to leak oil and you can just toss it in your garage/tool closet when you're done, then get this. It doesn't come with a bag and the blade scabbard on it is poo poo. I turned to Amazon:
Greenworks Pole Saw Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID8838Q
It fits perfectly so that it doesn't have a bunch of extra room to jostle around. You can probably also find a tripod bag with similar dimensions.
Rando Chinese 8" - 12" Chainsaw Bar Cover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GMCRMC7
Works fine. I used this exact one but there's a bunch of these since it isn't anything special.

And as linked in the Slickdeals thread you can get the Dual Inflator for $36
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P747

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Free shipping at DTO is probably the most reliable indicator of a recession, and I'm here for it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ugh I bought the dual inflator a while back when I bought my paddle board.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bob Mundon posted:

Free shipping at DTO is probably the most reliable indicator of a recession, and I'm here for it.
:emptyquote:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Verman posted:

Ugh I bought the dual inflator a while back when I bought my paddle board.

Lol my partner's parents gifted us two inflatable paddleboards for Xmas this year :getin:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sure is one unhappy website though. Be patient, fellow Ryobi fanatics. Or maybe just abandon all hope.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 27, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah it definitely took me far longer to login than the last time I was here. Once in searching and browsing was fine but stuff like adding to your cart takes a looooong time but for me it eventually got there.

Got a refurbed 6-piece tool set for like $90 (I really only needed the sawzall but had good use for at least one other item in there) and a stick vac for like $55. Awesome sale.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

That Works posted:

Yeah it definitely took me far longer to login than the last time I was here. Once in searching and browsing was fine but stuff like adding to your cart takes a looooong time but for me it eventually got there.

Got a refurbed 6-piece tool set for like $90 (I really only needed the sawzall but had good use for at least one other item in there) and a stick vac for like $55. Awesome sale.

Crud, I just bought a stick vac at full price :(

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That Works posted:

They are getting...pause...hammered

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

if fans are on sale.. get yourself some fans. I use mine all the fuckin time.

Was making Pierogi for xmas this year and they were taking forever to cool. Took my small fan put on counter and cooled em up much faster.

Hot day on the patio.. time to fire up the bucket fan and get misted.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

They are getting...pause...hammered

Really had to drill in for that one didn't you?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

H110Hawk posted:

Really had to drill in for that one didn't you?

U saw what I did there?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BeAuMaN posted:

And as linked in the Slickdeals thread you can get the Dual Inflator for $36

I grabbed that dual inflator last June for 35 bucks at the DT Outlet store and I use the hell out of it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hell yeah Ryobi Bug Zapper for $48. Will see how this stacks up against my Dynatrap that already creates massive piles of mosquito corpses.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P29014BTLVNM

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

if fans are on sale.. get yourself some fans.
Seconding.

In addition to the full sized ones, this little clamp fan is stupid useful: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCF02B

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, in for 3 Ryobi storage cabinets, 2 bug zappers, and a 7.5" fan kit with 2Ah battery. Ya got me again, DTO.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm always envious of the direct tools sprees that you americans get. There's no Canadian equivalent so far as I know.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My dad's in the Milwaukee ecosystem, but really likes the idea of a cordless inflator, rather than hauling out the air compressor. My little Ryobi is fine for city life for my car and bike tire, but wondering if the M18 inflator has any features that make it worth the huge price tag vs getting him a Ryobi inflator and battery from DTO. Granted, he's on a hobby farm so it would end up getting used on his truck, tractor, ATVs, mower, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FISHMANPET posted:

My dad's in the Milwaukee ecosystem, but really likes the idea of a cordless inflator, rather than hauling out the air compressor. My little Ryobi is fine for city life for my car and bike tire, but wondering if the M18 inflator has any features that make it worth the huge price tag vs getting him a Ryobi inflator and battery from DTO. Granted, he's on a hobby farm so it would end up getting used on his truck, tractor, ATVs, mower, etc.

Get a milwaukee to ryobi 18v batter adapter and then go nuts. (I did this for Dewalt to Ryobi and its great, got the cheap inflator, glue gun etc that Dewalt either doesnt have a version of or want an arm and leg for).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I'm always envious of the direct tools sprees that you americans get. There's no Canadian equivalent so far as I know.
Afaik apart from the various DTO stores... DTO shipping is directly based at the manufacturing/distribution center next to their HQ in South Carolina
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...%2Fg%2F1tgw5rb5

(For size reference... that large distribution building? It's just over half a mile long)
Probably been talked about in here in the past that the "blemished tool" indicator is a scam to get around their exclusive contract w/ selling new Ryobi tools at Home Depot. So afaik they're just shipping DTO tools out the back door. If they have a similar facility in Canada I don't see why they couldn't do it there. They probably don't sell/ship to Canada from the regular DTO website because they didn't want to deal with cross-border shenanigans. A lot of DTO decisions are generally just whatever is easy for them; they don't modify any orders for anyone, and might not respond for a couple days.

Edit: Little DTO store to the east just outside :shobon:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 28, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FISHMANPET posted:

Milwaukee makes an m12 inflator as well. I have one it's not bad.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I haven’t used the other battery inflators but I got the m18 one and it’s very good and very fast.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Any opinion on the Ryobi drill press?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Schiavona posted:

Any opinion on the Ryobi drill press?

It's the same one another eight vendors sell. I had the same one in a different paint job and ended up getting rid of it because a benchtop drill press was awkward for me to use.

I have the standing flavor of the same one from Lowe's (Porter-Cable) and it's great, though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Bench top drill presses go for $50 on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace here in Ohio. I got mine for $10 and spent $5 on a new switch.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Very sad they won't ship the 18v Ryobi finish nailer, not gonna drive 80 miles to pick it up in the store. Grabbed an inflator though, thanks for the heads up, op!

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
Grandpa was very handy and had a barn full of tools, while I just had aspirations of handiness. I'm trying to find good homes for his tools that I know I'll never use. I don't know anyone that needs something like this drill press, and I don't really know if it's worth anything to anyone. It works, and there's a decent sized set of chucks, drill bits, and reamers for it.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether the drill press would be of use to a particular trade or hobbyist. I'd like to find a way to narrow my outreach so I don't have to deal with local craigslist wackos.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kao_Pai posted:

Grandpa was very handy and had a barn full of tools, while I just had aspirations of handiness. I'm trying to find good homes for his tools that I know I'll never use. I don't know anyone that needs something like this drill press, and I don't really know if it's worth anything to anyone. It works, and there's a decent sized set of chucks, drill bits, and reamers for it.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether the drill press would be of use to a particular trade or hobbyist. I'd like to find a way to narrow my outreach so I don't have to deal with local craigslist wackos.

Do you mind sharing very loosely what region you're in? If you're near me I'd be unable to resist poking through the heap. It's a compulsion.

I see people reselling those kinds of drill presses pretty frequently, though no idea if people buy them. If you have space for it though, mind that a drill press is an extremely useful tool. I've seen some hand tool zealots say that it's the only piece of machinery that they own and that they can't do without it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Ended up buying a bunch of Ryobi this sale:
40v Pole Hedge Trimmer w/ 2AH battery
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/RY40630VNM
Dual Inflator
2x 7.5" Fans w/ 2AH battery
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL811KN
3/8" Crown Stapler
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P317

Needed something for a couple hedges we have and that should let me get a good angle on the top. Dual Inflator is the thing people kept talking about and I want something to top off the tires without crouching down. The Fans... I have one already and they saved the chickens during a heatwave. I want spares just in case (for the California central valley heatwaves and possible rolling blackouts)...
The stapler... I have to put up a new fence for the chicken coop and I read this works fine generally for stapling hardware cloth or similar light fencing. I didn't want to spend the $90 on the larger 18GA stapler since I'm buying enough as-is, though I'm sorely tempted.

Ordered a fan for dad and then ordered him a Glue Gun Kit since he saw my glue gun I got for $9 from the last sale and was like "Hey, can I have this? I'll buy it off you" and I was like "Hell no. That's mine". So the kit that has the battery at $24 since he isn't in the Ryobi ecosystem yet isn't bad.

Slugworth posted:

Very sad they won't ship the 18v Ryobi finish nailer, not gonna drive 80 miles to pick it up in the store. Grabbed an inflator though, thanks for the heads up, op!
This was in stock for shipping at the beginning of the sale. Was considering it but waited too long. I got some metal... whatever it's called at the edge of the roof that fell down when I was cutting a branch off a tree with that Ryobi oil-free pole chainsaw I got during Black Friday. I'll probably just end up securing it with screws.

You can still get the 15GA Angled Finish Nailer shipped for $120, though of course that's not as good of a price as the $90 for the regular one
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P330

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 28, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeAuMaN posted:

You can still get the 15GA Angled Finish Nailer shipped for $120, though of course that's not as good of a price as the $90 for the regular one
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P330
Yeah, the problem is I've got a perfectly good air nailer already, and I use it infrequently enough that it's not *really* worth replacing. But 89 bucks to do so? Probably would have pulled the trigger. For some reason 100 dollars is my mental red line for a tool I don't really need.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I bought the drill press because at $110 vs $200 at Home Depot, why not. Facebook marketplace hasn’t had a worthwhile offering in a while there.

Debating getting a hedge trimmer and a Milwaukee battery converter since I’m heavily in that ecosystem, but at that point, I’m not sure if it’s worth to pay >$50 more for the Milwaukee tool.

The wall cabinets are sweet looking too…

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Schiavona posted:

I bought the drill press because at $110 vs $200 at Home Depot, why not. Facebook marketplace hasn’t had a worthwhile offering in a while there.

Debating getting a hedge trimmer and a Milwaukee battery converter since I’m heavily in that ecosystem, but at that point, I’m not sure if it’s worth to pay >$50 more for the Milwaukee tool.

The wall cabinets are sweet looking too…
For Ryobi when I was doing research... I hear the 18V ones work fine for the most part for Hedge Trimmers unless you're going with the larger/longer trimmers or you need them to cut thicker hedges. In my case the couple hedges in question aren't thick branched so the 5/8" width cutting capacity w/ 18" blade on the pole works fine (why it's a 40V is a mystery... I don't think the 40V is adding that much more power but who knows). So you end up with 18V for regular and 40V for the heavier stuff. I don't mind getting the 40V battery with the hedge trimmer though since I got the 40V Earth Auger kit for on sale for ~$220 out the door in May and this means I'll have a spare battery now.

That Earth Auger is awesome :getin:
(Though I don't have the East Coast Rocky Frozen Hell Terrain, heh)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Finally had a belated Xmas with my parents since my partner and I had the rona over actual Xmas, and my parents got me the Ryobi mini shop vac :getin:

And now I'm probably gonna go on DTO and buy that dual inflator :gary:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Torpedo level question. Is a Stabila torpedo level ($73.00 CAD) really worth the extra money over a comparable Milwaukee torpedo level for professional use? I need a bubble level that's easy to see and use in dark, cramped spaces. Will also get kicked and dropped around a lot on the worksite. I've also heard that Milwaukee's levels are just Empire levels with a coat of red paint and I have never been impressed with Empire tools.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 29, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

Finally had a belated Xmas with my parents since my partner and I had the rona over actual Xmas, and my parents got me the Ryobi mini shop vac :getin:

And now I'm probably gonna go on DTO and buy that dual inflator :gary:
Assuming you're talking about the toolbox-shaped one... was tempted to buy that but I already picked up the 6 gallon recently. If it was under 40 it would have been an instant buy for me.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

Torpedo level question. Is a Stabila torpedo level ($73.00 CAD) really worth the extra money over a comparable Milwaukee torpedo level for professional use? I need a bubble level that's easy to see and use in dark, cramped spaces. Will also get kicked and dropped around a lot on the worksite. I've also heard that Milwaukee's levels are just Empire levels with a coat of red paint and I have never been impressed with Empire tools.

Torpedo level isn’t really a precision instrument the way a longer level would be, paying extra for a stabila/sola isn’t worth it IMHO. Plus they tend to get lost/misplaced/stolen due to their small size, I’d just get the Milwaukee or whatever.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wrong thread

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

melon cat posted:

Ace hardware in your area? Stabila are $39.99 U.S. here.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I recently bought a storage unit at auction and it had a bunch of dirty and slightly rusty but otherwise working construction equipment in it. A few chainsaws (two with blades but they're missing parts of the casing so I don't think I can really get anything for them) and the rest do not have blades, a weird like saw drill thing, an industrial paint roller, and a huge miter saw.

I don't really do any DIY stuff and they're all a bit rusty, I can probably clean them if they'll sell for more but assuming I don't want to do a lot of work and just get rid of these, do you guys know of any places that will buy dirty tools? Maybe like a pre-restoration place or something?

I know there's a few pawn shops in town but they don't have great offers even when the items are in GOOD condition.

Otherwise, any thoughts on how I can clean these and make them good enough that people will actually buy them? I care more about relatively quick cash than getting the most bang for my buck but I'm not opposed to a few days of hard labor to make them presentable. Here's some lovely pictures of them so you can see roughly what I'm working with.

Here's most of them, I think the red side casing in the right bucket is for the thing on the left, I have no idea what the model number is for any of these or how I would even find out but I'm hoping they're at least decent.

Also have this thing. It's in surprisingly good condition, it's fairly dirty but it seems like I can just scrub it off. Blade is probably too far gone and rusty but the mobility is fine.

Any ideas on how to salvage or sell these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Craigslist or FB Marketplace? Also, look up the chainsaws by make and model if you can. Look for any stampings or metal tags riveted on. I bet the missing parts are still available. They didn't turn up in other boxes or bins?

Edit: that last tool appears to be a sliding compound miter saw. They're sold by the blade diameter they take. They cost more than regular miter saws.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 1, 2023