Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Onigashima needed more Jack and Perospero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Need to do a re-read of it, but I'm still of the opinion that it got long, but that it was good that it was long, as it was our boy's ascension to 'Emperor of the Sea' level. The title came with a lot of narrative weight, and it's hard to argue he's there now.

In a way the battle was a slog both in text and to read. Wish it had stuck the landing better (still aghast he didn't dedicate any panels to resolving the people impacted by SMILE or just generally starving populations), but showing how much it took to take Kaido down helped make it feel truly monumental when Luffy was able to go toe to toe with him.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I saw the big scene from today's episode that everyone on Twitter seems jazzed about and it looks awesome, but it's just... too much? it's almost like every couple weeks I see a new clip and you'd think this has to almost be the end of the fight if you didn't know any better

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Need to do a re-read of it, but I'm still of the opinion that it got long, but that it was good that it was long, as it was our boy's ascension to 'Emperor of the Sea' level. The title came with a lot of narrative weight, and it's hard to argue he's there now.

In a way the battle was a slog both in text and to read. Wish it had stuck the landing better (still aghast he didn't dedicate any panels to resolving the people impacted by SMILE or just generally starving populations), but showing how much it took to take Kaido down helped make it feel truly monumental when Luffy was able to go toe to toe with him.

yeah i think the beginning of wano -> end of wano really made luffy feel like a guy who could barely beat a yonko officer to a yonko solo felt natural. i think oda was just sick of wano by the end of it though. i really wish we got like two more chapters to just like... show more of wano and a bit more of zoros history and relation to the country.

it really pissed me off how hiyori did not get to land the killing blow on orochi. it would have felt more natural if she killed him and then denjiro saved her from a situation she checkmated herself into or something. like she knew a strong person was coming or just got her out of the fire.

also i think usopp and nami got robbed of a good fight.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 29, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least after Wano is the first time in like, a decade where there's room to pop a quick filler arc in the anime.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I saw the big scene from today's episode that everyone on Twitter seems jazzed about and it looks awesome, but it's just... too much?

Thinking about how much time and money they've spent on Yamato vs. Kaido and now we have a whole other drawn out Luffy vs Kaido bit before we even get to Gear 5.

The anime's real pretty now, but the pacing is still atrocious.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

yeah i think the beginning of wano -> end of wano really made luffy feel like a guy who could barely beat a yonko officer to a yonko solo felt natural. i think oda was just sick of wano by the end of it though. i really wish we got like two more chapters to just like... show more of wano and a bit more of zoros history and relation to the country.

it really pissed me off how hiyori did not get to land the killing blow on orochi. it would have felt more natural if she killed him and then denjiro saved her from a situation she checkmated herself into or something. like she knew a strong person was coming or just got her out of the fire.

Nami/Usopp got robbed of a proper fight but Nami telling Ulti Luffy was gonna be king of the pirates while knowing she would die ten times over owned, as did her being the first one to call Kaido full of poo poo when he announced Luffy’s death.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Look, it's fine for things to have just three acts. That's like, the modern interpretation of how many acts a stage play should have, as well as most contemporary stories. Shakespeare, Zeami? Those guys were great, but we have smartphones feeding us doomscroll novels by the hour and the planet's dyin' Cloud. You gotta keep the thousand-plus chapter manga tight.

Wano was a 3-act arc and it's fine. Good, even.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

anime was right posted:

This is the biggest issue with Wano tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did get a cool Robin fight though. Guess it evens out to an extent

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is the biggest issue with Wano tbh.

More than the lack of a Brook/Apoo fight?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

(still aghast he didn't dedicate any panels to resolving the people impacted by SMILE or just generally starving populations)

This is what we go back for Act 4 for

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
until we get the full Kaido flashback, Wano hasn't ended.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
just finished reading hunter x hunter and i will never complain about even the mildest narrative or pacing problems in one piece again

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I saw the big scene from today's episode that everyone on Twitter seems jazzed about and it looks awesome, but it's just... too much? it's almost like every couple weeks I see a new clip and you'd think this has to almost be the end of the fight if you didn't know any better
Oh boy have I got some fantastic news for you

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im cool with every one piece episode being the standard low-mid quality dribble padding with 1 2-minute clip of crazy animation to go viral every week. Its better than, being all low-quality dribble

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I haven’t watched other anime in years. Is the stretchy eye thing they’re doing lately in fashion in general or is that all One Piece?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think maybe they should take down the flashing aura effects a few notches. It takes away from the actual character animation

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Official chapter is out. Interesting that Zoro remarks that S-Hawk has *more* humanity in his eyes than regular Mihawk

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

mabels big day posted:

Official chapter is out. Interesting that Zoro remarks that S-Hawk has *more* humanity in his eyes than regular Mihawk

Was that not how people were reading it?

Mihawk's a drat monster. S-Hawk is built different, but he ain't there, yet. Gotta learn that deadness.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

Was that not how people were reading it?

Mihawk's a drat monster. S-Hawk is built different, but he ain't there, yet. Gotta learn that deadness.

Speedscans strike again

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mabels big day posted:

Yeah, that's what the good scans said too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fighting evil by moonlight
Wininng love by daylight
Never running from a real fight
He is the one named Enel Moon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am going to guess that Saturn is also a badass fighter. He has a notable scar so he has probably seen combat before.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Got it in a shaving accident actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's finally time for Luffy to punch Congress.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

It's finally time for Luffy to punch Congress.

if luffy punches one of the gorosei im going to expect it to not work and there will be like 3 years of everyone calling luffy weak for some reason

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also god theres so many things going on i wonder if like luffy has to overthrow the WG first or if hes gonna fight blackbeard or shanks last or aaaaaaaaa im excited

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Official chapter link btw https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015705

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So if this one is Jaygarcia, I'm guessing the others are Beeweir, Pilesh, Bikretuz, and Emhart.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the naming scheme is interesting jaygarcia sounds like a full spanish name, just like donquixote is a full name functioning as a full name as well. wonder if one of the elder stars is like donquixote jupiter or something

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mars Rodriguez
Mercury Martinez
Venus Lopez
Mars Sánchez

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Given that the Seraphim have been mentioned as having enough free will to make their own decisions, I'm betting that by the end of this arc or down the line, Luffy or one of the other Straw Hats will end up breaking their control chips, allowing them to decide their allegiance for themselves. Maybe some of them will still side with the navy, but at least they'll get to choose.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Something I find really interesting about the One Piece world is that many different aspects have both a public "face" and a hidden "true side".

The face is meant to be the rational way for common people to explain phenomena and why things are the way they are (and also what the World Government wants people to believe) while the true knowledge is something kept hidden away from public knowledge.

Why does the world suck? World Nobles
Who governs the world? The World Government
How are islands wiped off the face of the planet? Buster Calls
What do we need to protect the public from? Pirates

But in actuality:

Why does the world suck? Imu
Who governs the world? The Five Elders
How are islands wiped off the face of the planet? An ancient weapon/Uranus (most likely)
What do we need to protect the public from? The World Government/Marines (to some extent)

You can find a parallel for everything going down the list.

E: ^^^ there's no way Oda would pass up the opportunity to make a name-based pun on Freddie Mercury

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: ^^^ there's no way Oda would pass up the opportunity to make a name-based pun on Freddie Mercury

juanfede mercury

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Something I find really interesting about the One Piece world is that many different aspects have both a public "face" and a hidden "true side".

The face is meant to be the rational way for common people to explain phenomena and why things are the way they are (and also what the World Government wants people to believe) while the true knowledge is something kept hidden away from public knowledge.

Why does the world suck? World Nobles
Who governs the world? The World Government
How are islands wiped off the face of the planet? Buster Calls
What do we need to protect the public from? Pirates

But in actuality:

Why does the world suck? Imu
Who governs the world? The Five Elders
How are islands wiped off the face of the planet? An ancient weapon/Uranus (most likely)
What do we need to protect the public from? The World Government/Marines (to some extent)

You can find a parallel for everything going down the list.

Fernando Mercury, but four years later he reveals it's a fake name and his real name is Fre D. Mercury

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So Fre D. Roger's incurable disease was AIDS, whodathunkit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1620044222786322433?t=zMVFbWxcWiC5f7lzlwp2Xg&s=19

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cancelled before the premier date at the rate Netflix has been going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i wrote a silly little poem, it's about one piece (just a bit!): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022922