Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I was gonna buy this game (darktide, that is) and then i saw that steam reviews are "mostly negative" with people making GBS threads on it all over the place. So I figured I'd ask here for a sanity check...

based on your username, get the game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

They’re not confirmed, it’s a joke because a previous CM said that some feature people were asking for was “immeasurably complex.” I still do expect GSC though.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I was gonna buy this game (darktide, that is) and then i saw that steam reviews are "mostly negative" with people making GBS threads on it all over the place. So I figured I'd ask here for a sanity check...

Set your expectations to "Great co-op horde shooter, and nothing more" and you'll have a good time.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How does it compare to Vermintide?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

There's a very good game at the base of Darktide hampered by it being effectively an unlabled Early Access title with severe technical issues that make it outright unplayable for lots of people. Hard crashes to desktop are common and I've experienced them plenty myself, when they happen you'll get zero credit for the mission up to that point (always good when you play a full mission and it crashes at the rewards screen). Crafting systems are incomplete and the parts that are complete aren't great and allow for little in the way of build diversity. The map system is dumb and means you can't choose the mission you want at the difficulty you want, you have to wait for them to cycle around or just pick a difficulty and play whatever mission quickplay drops you in. There's a real-cash cosmetic shop with fake in-game currency and all the non-paid cosmetic customization is threadbare. Bots are braindead, you can't really count on them to function in the higher difficulties.

After all that, one of the main reasons for the negative reviews is that Fatshark are a Swedish company so they pushed it out the door and then all went on vacation for the holidays. Not criticizing them for having a healthy work balance but they probably should have just delayed it or did a limited release with a clear Early Access label. I put a bunch of hours in and enjoyed it a lot but there's no denying that it's an incomplete game, looking forward to going back to it in a year or so of if I see a particularly compelling update.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 29, 2023

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Lore question: what are genestealers? Sounds like a ripoff from Dune.

It's the xenomorph from Alien

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

more incomplete right now, worse/half available crafting (2 options just greyed out lol), worse character progression (no sharing of anything, weapons or ressources, weeklies) and character choice (4), kinda "better" direct gameplay because scifi > medival, ranged/melee combat is very great and leaves bit more room, quite literally, for tactics. Weapon sound and feel is abnormal good, sound design is very much one of the best in games.

Otherwise very much the same fatshark experience, very obscure, lots of stats broken, patch one thing good break an unrelated one. Also tends to crash a lot still, but now you can reconnect to the sesstion you've been playing.

If you apply the tag "early access" onto it, I assume it would be like 70-80something rating on Steam.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 29, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The combat is much better than Vermintide, but literally everything else is worse.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The gameplay and atmosphere is top notch, some of the best around, like just listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gPRWYC-As and surviving by the skin of your teeth with a good squad is a fun time as you bash enemies around.

Everything between you and the gameplay like pre-mission getting new gear ranges from unfinished to bad, the only way to get new weapons is to check a shop every hour and find something with big numbers and hope you get blessings that aren't bugged or useless, let alone blessings you actually want to try, to get the best stat weapons is a 1% chance from a hourly shop, ingame currency cosmetics are almost all just very slight recolorings, usually to a drab grey, challenges to get a couple skins that look different usually require doing something against the teams benefit to winning the mission like doing the whole mission with 25% health or soloing a boss and telling everyone else to chill while you do it or grouping up big swarms.

If you can put that stuff aside, the gameplay is great, but you'd also probably be fine watching for a sale in the summer or winter when they get around to reworking all these systems which they said they would do due to all that negative feedback.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 29, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

You'll absolutely get $40 of value because the shooting is great and the melee is great and the classes are all diverse enough you can't go wrong with whichever one

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

A good litmus test for this game is to listen to opinions of people who have both good and bad things to say about it. Anyone covering their ears against even the lightest criticism, or anyone who says this is a trash fire not worth the time, is probably more interested in internet arguing than critically evaluating what's here.

Everyone who has posted so far is right:

1) You'll have $40 of fun, assuming you are able to play without constant crashes;
2) The moment-to-moment gameplay is a lot of fun, I think it's equivalent to VT2 but a lot of people think it's even better; and
3) Everything else is so perplexingly awful that one wonders what they were thinking when designing this poo poo

If you can tolerate a game that is essentially in EA and you don't have big technical problems, go hog wild imo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had a lot of fun with the game and it's very enjoyable to mow through zombies with a chainsaw or charge up mind hadoukens and explode a bunch of heads with it. I stopped playing because trying to get the gear I want was pretty much a crapshoot of random things or actually impossible. So I'm taking a break till they add more stuff.

My review: it's fun and worth $40 as you will get your money's worth. If you want to play this game forever and poopsock it then you'll quickly burn out as there's not much after you get to 30 and there's very little incentive to do hard content.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Extra horde difficulty 3 to 5 is probably the sweet spot of the game for me, or low intensity 4-5 for just leveling and plasteel hunting.

I just wish you could pick those everytime instead of waiting for the right random mission modifiers to pop up.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone. I think I'll wait until they add/improve the various meta-game aspects.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This was and still is my take on darktide, with the caveat that its population has cratered since release so public games often don't fill up for awhile anymore.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

There is $40 of value to be had right now because the in-mission gameplay is generally fun and you don’t have to play on high difficulties to get access to all the content in the game, so the issues it has aren’t necessarily game-ruining. The basic action game feel is good and the L4D-style gameplay of controlling hordes while staying near your teammates mostly works.

absolutely everything outside of those missions is almost comically unfinished, from crafting options listed in the menu not being implemented, to 80% of the game’s itemization perks being placeholder-tier useless, to mission/difficulty selection being arbitrarily limited, to character cosmetics being 100% lazy recolors except for everything in the real-money cash shop, to the way you acquire better weapons being plainly absurd (where the limitation eventually becomes about how often you want to log into the game to check a real-time weapon shop, not how much you actually play it). All of this stuff completely sucks, but it also doesn’t actually matter during the moment-to-moment gameplay where you’re bowling over a pile of zombies and football players with a large hammer. so I think darktide is worth the money if you can actually run it at a decent FPS without crashing, which is a very system-dependent thing.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
The Slaughterer blessing--the stacking % bonus to power on enemy kill that isn't the awful version--is just absurdly important for making Thunder Hammer feel good, and I highly recommend trying it out if you don't like TH but happen to find one with that blessing. Especially if you use the "Press 1 to cancel the thunder strike refractory period" strat that, personally, mostly solves the problem I had with whiffing and hitting trash enemies because you can chain out charged attacks extremely quickly. This is how the weapon should feel.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Game is the funniest, giggling at the ragdoll violence-est, ambience nailing perfect sound cueing-est technical mess that fights my attempts to play it I've ever wrestled with and I can't wait for it to finally come together the way Vermintide 2 did a goodly while after it released.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
It’s a great game when you’re in a mission and there are no bugs. Like really good. The shooting and melee feel great and the lighting is very well done. It feels like 40k done right.

The bad is anything not in a mission. The “story”, the “COMING SOON” crafting, the shop, and many other things.

Is it worth $40?

Yeah. And when they finally make the rest of the game it’s gonna be great and you’ll already own it.

Buy it now, play until you’re bored, and come back when it’s complete.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

My review: it's fun and worth $40 as you will get your money's worth. If you want to play this game forever and poopsock it then you'll quickly burn out as there's not much after you get to 30 and there's very little incentive to do hard content.

There's very little external incentive but personally I find diff 4/5 way more fun. Malice is good for loving around with weird builds though.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

When you have a balanced team where everyone is paying attention and focusing on their roles well, targeting the right elites etc, heresy is absolutely perfect. I can imagine damnation would be the same feeling if you have a coordinated group with everyone on mics. I'm at level 30 with all my characters but I still find that experience compelling enough to keep coming back. Definitely worth the $40 if you don't have too many technical issues.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And FYI, what I've heard is that 2xxx series Nvidia cards are the most stable, and it's the people with 3xxxx series cards that have a bad time. I have an RTX 2060, and I haven't had a crash or a disconnect since the first beta, sand just one then. My post-launch experience has been solid FPS and rock stable gameplay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Damnation is pretty much the same feeling as Heresy, just slightly less forgiving for taking avoidable damage or pushing forward into dangerous areas too early.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mllaneza posted:

And FYI, what I've heard is that 2xxx series Nvidia cards are the most stable, and it's the people with 3xxxx series cards that have a bad time. I have an RTX 2060, and I haven't had a crash or a disconnect since the first beta, sand just one then. My post-launch experience has been solid FPS and rock stable gameplay.

I had a smattering of crashes with a 2080 super, I don't think 20 series are immune. It did get somewhat better after the beta though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

After playing mostly heresy and damnation i feel like malice is about as hard as uprising or sedition was when i was mainly a malice gamer. Like losing malice now is unthinkable.

Damnation vs Heresy is basically you need pretty good weapons to reliably clear damnation because of break points. Heresy mostly fails when the ai director decides to gently caress you over with multiple disablers, damnation you can just straight up lose.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Tweaking the config file to actually for real turn off the RTX has fixed my crashing problems on my 3070. I haven't crashed since wheras before I'd crash every couple missions it seemed.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I've a 2060 too and it's super crashy for me.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I basically agree with everyone else but would also add that the characters are a bit flat and lifeless compared to those in Vermintide 2, mainly because they're stand-ins for the player (with lots of ultimately meaningless cosmetic customisation options) rather than actual characters like the U5. So if you liked the dialogue and banter in Vermintide it's significantly worse in Darktide and - unlike most of the other downsides the game has - that will never change.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As a 40K fan, there is so, so much to love. It's frankly the best game in the 40K setting, bar none. The atmosphere, the visuals, the sound-design, the lore-friendly chatter, the weapon behaviour. It's all spot on.

The negative reviews are mostly complaining about missing features such as crafting, certain bugs (which affect some people more than others, I've had no crashes, a friend crashes every other session), and the slow release of content. There's some divisive design decisions as well which different people have different tolerance levels of.

Judging by your username, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the slightest. However, the story that Dan Abnett helped pen is seemingly absent at the moment, and the current content feels more like a prologue in one of his books.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 29, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Angry_Ed posted:

Tweaking the config file to actually for real turn off the RTX has fixed my crashing problems on my 3070. I haven't crashed since wheras before I'd crash every couple missions it seemed.

Same here. I think I’ve had one crash in several weeks. I’d also recommend following this guide for general fidelity tweaks. The LOD and Aniso adjustments have made the game look noticeably better and have had no perceptible hit on FPS.

edit: Oh, and reduce the number of ragdoll calculations in the options menu. Someone in the thread mentioned that they’re very CPU intensive. Dropping mine from the default of 12 to 8 has eliminated the momentary FPS drops when explosions go off in a crowd.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 29, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
On the flip side, if your CPU can handle it, increasing the ragdolls from like 12 to 24 is a huge increase in the amount of fun you have with Psyker or other classes with huge explosions

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I really like the game and have been looking forward to it more than any other since VT2 probably and I've basically given up on it. Between lower pops / longer queues, absolutely ridiculous load in times, and crashes, my use case for it (dip in and play a game or two before bed) isn't really worth it or enjoyable. How half assed everything but the combat is is just the cherry on top.

If they could even just fix the crashes and load ins to the hub and missions taking so long sometimes for no apparent reason, I'd probably pick it up again

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 29, 2023

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Thanks everyone. I think I'll wait until they add/improve the various meta-game aspects.

Good idea. The combat is fun but if you're not jonesing for something new to play you'll be a lot more satisfied getting a more complete, stable game for cheaper in a year or two

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zephro posted:

rather than actual characters like the U5.

or four. doesn't matter

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I have a 3700 and only experienced one or two crashes in 120+ hours of playing

But I did all the cool kid tweaks like turning off RTX in the config files back when everyone was arguing that it had no effect so :shrug:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

rideANDxORdie posted:

Good idea. The combat is fun but if you're not jonesing for something new to play you'll be a lot more satisfied getting a more complete, stable game for cheaper in a year or two

I hope this is true but if they don’t turn things around in a year or two the playerbase is going to be two digits long.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I mean I agree Fatshark does not have the capability or capacity to run a live service game with constant updates, it's just in two years you'll have a chance of playing a game with more than ten levels that doesn't crash 1-3 times an hour

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Zephro posted:

I basically agree with everyone else but would also add that the characters are a bit flat and lifeless compared to those in Vermintide 2, mainly because they're stand-ins for the player (with lots of ultimately meaningless cosmetic customisation options) rather than actual characters like the U5. So if you liked the dialogue and banter in Vermintide it's significantly worse in Darktide and - unlike most of the other downsides the game has - that will never change.

I'd like to reinforce this. It doesn't come up as often as the more immediate problems, so it's possible that we are in the minority being bothered by this. But I really, REALLY wish they had gone the U5 route instead of bespoke characters. They really could have quadrupled down on the atmosphere and lore with only four tailor-made characters. I understand it's annoying to not be able to play the same class as someone else in your group, but I also don't think that's a deal-breaking limitation for most people.

The game is still fun, but it's in spite of the weaker characterizations. The VT2 characters are such a huge part of why I loved VT2, and it just isn't here right now.

The story is another flavor failure IMO. The story being completely non-existent wouldn't be as big of a problem to me if they weren't marketing it as DAN ABNETT DID IT when there is nothing to indicate that anything was written at all. Everyone hates and mistrusts you, and even as you chain success after success, you just meet new people who all say they don't trust you. There's no development or forward movement through, what, five different "story" cutscenests? And then at level 30, "okay we trust you now. Do you remember this other npc from a cutscene? You mighr have missed it because you were so amazed by the 13th consecutice NPC saying they dont trust you. Well she was a traitor and now they're dead." And then THAT'S IT. What happened? There's no event progression, thwres no characterization between NPCs. No relationships develop between ANYONE. Where is the story?

The game doesn't even need a story. VT2 barely had a narrative stringing together it's missions. But they decided to go for it and dropped the ball spectacularly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'd like to reinforce this. It doesn't come up as often as the more immediate problems, so it's possible that we are in the minority being bothered by this. But I really, REALLY wish they had gone the U5 route instead of bespoke characters. They really could have quadrupled down on the atmosphere and lore with only four tailor-made characters. I understand it's annoying to not be able to play the same class as someone else in your group, but I also don't think that's a deal-breaking limitation for most people.

The game is still fun, but it's in spite of the weaker characterizations. The VT2 characters are such a huge part of why I loved VT2, and it just isn't here right now.

Take this with a grain of salt because I can't remember where I heard/read it in the storm of DT stuff I read in the run-up to the launch, but my understanding is that bespoke characters was a big request from the streaming community. Basically some streamer who's trying to do their thing and build their brand etc. isn't that interested in being Baradin, but if they can make something that looks like the FuzzyNugTugger420 av they use in all their other online content, or something totally ~wacky and zany~ it gives them better engagement.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

tbf I'd be irritated if there was even a chance I'd be forced to play psyker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I'm in the minority but I prefer the generic characters because in Vermintide after running a mission once or twice, you'd just hear a whole lot of repeating dialog every time you played. That made all the levels in Vermintide start to grate after playing through them a couple times. The missions and dialog in DT are less interesting on an initial playthrough but they have a whole lot more staying power because the relatively generic nature of them means that you're not just being dragged along linear setpieces each run, the focus can be on the firefights instead of the short walking sim moments where you just walk from point A to B while listening to dialog about the distant setpiece you're looking at.

But to be fair I am personally very bothered by listening to the same dialog/watching the same "cutscene"/etc repeatedly in a way that other people might not be