Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Can we see the "saw drill thing."

Be cool as gently caress if it was a mortiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Milwaukee radial arm saw seems like a good snag, pretty sure that's what the second photo is

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Milwaukee radial arm saw seems like a good snag, pretty sure that's what the second photo is

Radial arm saws hang and are floor/bench mounted. That's a sliding compound miter saw.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
What I think you're calling a "saw drill thing" are metal shears, here's a link to the new equivilent.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW890-Gauge-Swivel-Shear/dp/B00004RHIU/

The sliding mitre saw is the most valuable thing there most likely but even if its a 12'' in good working condition I suspect $150 is the most you'd get for it, reasonably, local conditions not withstanding. Accuracy really matters with those and the rust doesn't inspire a lot of confidence there but if it runs and moves freely with little slop after cleaning up the slides it may be fine.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 1, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Elem7 posted:

What I think you're calling a "saw drill thing" are metal shears, here's a link to the new equivilent.

Didn't even see it in the picture lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
drat, was hoping to see a cool rear end tool :(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Radial arm saws hang and are floor/bench mounted. That's a sliding compound miter saw.

Good to know, thanks :hmmyes:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Elem7 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW890-Gauge-Swivel-Shear/dp/B00004RHIU/

The sliding mitre saw is the most valuable thing there most likely but even if its a 12'' in good working condition I suspect $150 is the most you'd get for it, reasonably, local conditions not withstanding. Accuracy really matters with those and the rust doesn't inspire a lot of confidence there but if it runs and moves freely with little slop after cleaning up the slides it may be fine.

oh yeah that's exactly what it is. makes sense

yeah i'll have to see what i can get for it, i mean it was like $10 for the whole thing so any money i make off it is a profit one way or another.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
By the colour that chainsaw looks like a Stihl. Though it's kinda washed out so it could be some kind of knock off. Stihl saws are a quite good brand and hold onto their value pretty well. It may be worth a few hundred at least if it runs.

Given the mitre saw is Milwaukee it seems likely the chainsaw would not be a cheap knock off. Also you can get chainsaw bars quite cheaply so even if that's missing as long as the body of the saw is in tact and running it shouldn't be hard to sell.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone still waiting on a shipping notice from that direct tools sale?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Slugworth posted:

Yep.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

Seeing as I ordered something as a vanity and more of a gag, I got my notice toot sweet.

cordless bug-zapper, lol. When we go on summer walks in the neighborhood, the mosquitos come from far and wide and swarm my son-in-law for God knows what reason. It's for him.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Squibbles posted:

By the colour that chainsaw looks like a Stihl. Though it's kinda washed out so it could be some kind of knock off. Stihl saws are a quite good brand and hold onto their value pretty well. It may be worth a few hundred at least if it runs.

Given the mitre saw is Milwaukee it seems likely the chainsaw would not be a cheap knock off. Also you can get chainsaw bars quite cheaply so even if that's missing as long as the body of the saw is in tact and running it shouldn't be hard to sell.

They’re all Stihl I believe. Chainsaws aren’t rusty just filthy so I can clean those off. Not entirely sure what the best way to clean everything is, I know the one chainsaw’s pull cord thing doesn’t go all the way into the body it just kinda limply stays out, not sure how hard that is to fix.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

in my area facebook is overrun with ads from people who are like "will buy anything chainsaw related don't care if it runs dm me"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Easiest way to clean that stuff is a combination of air compressor, metal bristle brush, a rag and some solvent. That'll get everything looking good enough to sell on CL/FB Marketplace.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Thumbtacks posted:

They’re all Stihl I believe. Chainsaws aren’t rusty just filthy so I can clean those off. Not entirely sure what the best way to clean everything is, I know the one chainsaw’s pull cord thing doesn’t go all the way into the body it just kinda limply stays out, not sure how hard that is to fix.

A few years ago I saw a guy on craigslist selling a Stihl saw that had a tree fall on it. It was damaged and basically just for parts and he still wanted several hundred for it. I think it was one of the bigger/higher end saws though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That gives me hope for the two that were significantly more damaged and like missing gas caps and casing parts and poo poo

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I don't want to get your hopes too high. They are both very old saws. They'd only really be bought by a collector. The McCulloch is probably worth $20 non-running. The stihl looks like a 050 maybe. Maybe $150 on the high side. Try posting it on arboristsite for sale.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hand Tool Rescue is taking tools to strange new places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHk9mRS-Ilo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ThinkFear posted:

I don't want to get your hopes too high. They are both very old saws. They'd only really be bought by a collector. The McCulloch is probably worth $20 non-running. The stihl looks like a 050 maybe. Maybe $150 on the high side. Try posting it on arboristsite for sale.

hey man they were free and at this point like $400 for everything would be EXTREMELY helpful for me

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Trabant posted:

Maybe he's making Philly cheese steak sandwiches?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thumbtacks posted:

hey man they were free and at this point like $400 for everything would be EXTREMELY helpful for me

Clean up that Milwaukee compound to where it slides smoothly, maybe repaint the housing, you should definitely get something.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm looking to get a standing drill press. Is there a thread consensus on what's best? I have no particular requirements for it, but it does get used for wood, steel sheet and steel tube. My old benchtop has a laser crosshair which was nice. Prefer $500 or less, so based on prices I'm tempted to go with harbor freight. But if there's some amazing machine out there I'm happy to hear about it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Grizzly has one for around $400. Would it be any better than the HF??? I don't know.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Once upon a time another goon recommended this:

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know what your budget is, but I can highly recommend this one from Lowes.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/drill-presses/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press-78742

Thats Canadian dollars though, so it would be less in your freedom bucks.

I found one on craigslist for $360, and it is a good drill press. The table uses machinist t-blocks to clamp stuff, which is not very convenient if you don't have a set of blocks, studs, etc.

e: $509 at US Lowes

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Slugworth posted:

This is very normal for Direct Tools Outlet; on their big sales sometimes they don't ship until 2 or 3 weeks later. This wasn't a scheduled "major sale" but also given the response they got I wouldn't be surprised. I had 5 orders (When you got free shipping you remember things you're going to order for yourself or someone else, and do another order)

Anyhow, so the stuff that I ordered single tool? Green square. That stuff shipped first. Red square? Not shipped yet. The only consistent pattern is that single-item stuff shipped first, while they're dragging their rear end to do multi-item orders. Those single items ordered on the 27th shipped first, while the single item ordered on the 29th shipped later.
(The last one single item is the $30 spotlight. Yeah, I can get a better light like a sofirn, but this one I can plug in a ryobi battery which means I will almost always have one around and it'll be charged)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 2, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ryanrs posted:

Once upon a time another goon recommended this:

I found one on craigslist for $360, and it is a good drill press. The table uses machinist t-blocks to clamp stuff, which is not very convenient if you don't have a set of blocks, studs, etc.

e: $509 at US Lowes

I used a couple square pieces of brass that I drilled and tapped to 1/2"-13 and then some short bolts of the same thread for holding down the table vice in that thing.

Works A+++

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Trabant posted:

I now have a reason to buy the ham leg from costco.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trabant posted:

I'm discussing only from the thumbnail but...

This isn't that outlandish as japanese kitchens have a device that's basically a japanese-style handplane on a box for shaving bonito.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A mandoline is literally an upside down plane. The wide slot on cheese graters is also the same principal.

Even the scary deli meat slicer is basically the same idea just with a spinning blade. I guess that one uses an offset so it's closer to a jointer than a hand plane.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
And bandsaws with slide tables.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Look what I found

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
For $65!?

:slick:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Yes I almost bought a second one but this one was in the best shape. I may go back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Posted about this a couple months ago. Started taking it apart now. 3 phase 1970s high pressure washer.

Motor off. Turned it upside down and drained the oil. I found there's a drain plug later on the bottom...

Removed the cylinder heads, doesn't look very nice inside...

Vacuumed it out

Took apart a 2nd cylinder, similar but better shape

Both seem to have rusted out in the middle around the center holes. The center hole is threaded and I think the cylinder is attached to the piston rod like this.

The pistons look like they might be plated with something that has started to release. I think it's hard chrome.

Cylinder tops looks OK. Next step is to contine disassembling all the cylinders. Some kind of rubber washer is used to seal it up.

After taking it apart further I can say that the pistons don't look good on the ends, the plating has started to flake off at the top which has been the most exposed part. The piston marked as 1 is the most corroded.

The pump becomes smaller and more manageable the more parts I remove:

This is the return from the relief valve (hex shaped part), first place I find a crack on this machine.

Worst piston, nr 1, the corrosion has moved down sideways enough that it's partially where the piston rides the seal.

3 and 4 look something like this. 2 looks the best.

This is the cast iron part (or is it steel) that sits between the brass cylinder and the pump body, looks OK, some sort of plastic seal there, this part is in contact with the oil in the pump and I'm guessing it's to make sure the oil doesn't leak out and it also lubricates the cylinder which looks to be in good shape further down.

The brass cylinders look like this. Inside there is some kind of piston ring that seems to be a whole ring and I guess it does the job of keeping water out.

On cylinder 2 which had the piston that looked the least corroded, the ring looks like this.

So on cylinder 1 the piston is most corroded although it doesn't seem to have spread all the way around the seal yet. Nr. 1 is the cylinder the seller claimed was leaking. Based on the pictures, it feels like cylinder number two should be the one that is leaking. But it could be that the seller simply rembered wrong. I haven't actually tested it as I don't have any outside water to test with during the winter.

I removed the seal and it's some kind of hard rubber that has started to degrade, will take some closer measurements to look for replacements.

I would like to see how it works without doing anything with the pistons. I am not quite sure what to do, I was thinking maybe turn the corroded part down, thread it and screw on a new part in say, stainless? Stainless to brass is supposed to work OK.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I splurged on a Purdy paintbrush instead of using the El Cheapo bullshit and Wow what a joy to use. Are they generally the best paintbrushes for house painting?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I splurged on a Purdy paintbrush instead of using the El Cheapo bullshit and Wow what a joy to use. Are they generally the best paintbrushes for house painting?

Purdy and wooster are the go-to brands available at the big box stores. Just match up the bristle type with the type of paint you'll be using.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
When I would help my parents paint when I was younger, I never understood why it sucked so bad. Then I learned that you weren't supposed to use the 99 cent brushes with the poo poo plastic bristles, and roller covers are single use and shouldn't be washed out and reused, especially over multiple jobs.

Now I have a plastic bin with various size Purdy/Wooster brushes, several nice roller handles of various widths, and a dozen roller covers to fit each handle width. Plus a few big canvas drop cloths, and a roll of tape-up plastic sheets for smaller areas. I fear no painting projects.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
High quality tools and paint make painting so so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Angled trim brushes and a retractable pole made me no hate painting.