Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

PinkoBastard posted:

I love the Mill Creek Ultraman releases - they’re not perfect but they’re very good and it works for me

Yeah but if you're like me and grew up watching them on multi-generation copies you found at conventions, the Mill Creek Blurays are a loving godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Here’s something: the Mill Creek Ultraman steel books are beautiful. I own a few of them. But I had to buy a bunch of blu ray cases to house the actual discs because the centre holder is so tight it’s almost impossible to pry a disc out… to the point that I thought I was going to shatter one of the discs. Also the fact that they’re stacked one on top of another, it’s just a bad design choice. The actual transfers are great and amazing and I love them, I just wish I didn’t have to buy my own cases for each series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

PinkoBastard posted:

Here’s something: the Mill Creek Ultraman steel books are beautiful. I own a few of them. But I had to buy a bunch of blu ray cases to house the actual discs because the centre holder is so tight it’s almost impossible to pry a disc out… to the point that I thought I was going to shatter one of the discs. Also the fact that they’re stacked one on top of another, it’s just a bad design choice. The actual transfers are great and amazing and I love them, I just wish I didn’t have to buy my own cases for each series.

The weird thing is that the steelbooks were supposed to be a limited thing, with regular bluray cases coming after. They made the regular case versions, you can buy them. But then they decided to keep the steelbooks in print too

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s my complaint with them as well. The content is great, if barebones, but the cases all suck.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s my complaint with them as well. The content is great, if barebones, but the cases all suck.

I thought the rental slips were fun, and of the releases I have, they look good, but otherwise yeah, they're very bare bones.

This is just a distribution deal though, so still no Aliens in 4k :(

Relevant Films at Home video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNuqVtwaKD8

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It feels weird not buying my Mill Creek discs out of a 5 ft tall bin of movies at the hardware store though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This. Somehow they have different versions of terrible design that are all as equally frustrating too.

And the encodes are hit or miss. It makes sense that Disney in its half-rear end attempt to patronize the physical media crowd went with another half-rear end distributor.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

PinkoBastard posted:

I love the Mill Creek Ultraman releases - they’re not perfect but they’re very good and it works for me

I'll never forgive them for starting out with those nice numbered steel books and then going, "Yeah, so, this next series is SD only, so we're just doing regular DVD cases from now on."

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I'll never forgive them for starting out with those nice numbered steel books and then going, "Yeah, so, this next series is SD only, so we're just doing regular DVD cases from now on."

Yeah, I'm a little mad that at some point, Mill Creek just gave up and went "eh, we're not doing Bluray releases for Ultraman anymore. You just get standard def DVDs now."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I got a beefy week of movies coming in from Amazon, VinSyn, eBay and our very own Big Mean Jerk.

More stuff to keep me inside away from the freezing weather.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol Twitter beefs between physical media twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/thediscfather/status/1620464070746075138?s=46&t=eWpc_9NDvYaQe1_LeYwDtw

This dudes been going at Dawn for awhile now. Media strikes for advertisements :lol: yeah buddy, WB will get right on making sure this account can’t shill their products anymore.

It’s about ethics in physical media.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

Lol Twitter beefs between physical media twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/thediscfather/status/1620464070746075138?s=46&t=eWpc_9NDvYaQe1_LeYwDtw

This dudes been going at Dawn for awhile now. Media strikes for advertisements :lol: yeah buddy, WB will get right on making sure this account can’t shill their products anymore.

It’s about ethics in physical media.

i mean, one account actually is useful and has legit info and sources, and one account straight up makes poo poo up..not surprised why they are trying to troll..just on brand

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just got 8 Vinegar Syndrome shipping notifications at once :smuggo:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Cool Hand Luke, it oughta get a Criterion

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 2, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm still waiting for a 4K Criterion of Beastie Boys Video Anthology.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Ministry “In Case You Didn’t Feel Like Showing Up” 4K when?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PinkoBastard posted:

Ministry “In Case You Didn’t Feel Like Showing Up” 4K when?

I’d be shocked if that wasn’t shot on video

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Biff Rockgroin posted:

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, I'm a little mad that at some point, Mill Creek just gave up and went "eh, we're not doing Bluray releases for Ultraman anymore. You just get standard def DVDs now."

They were only licensed SD masters, it wasn't their choice.

I suppose they could have done SD on Blu-ray, though that probably would have pissed people off even more.

zer0spunk posted:

This. Somehow they have different versions of terrible design that are all as equally frustrating too.

And the encodes are hit or miss. It makes sense that Disney in its half-rear end attempt to patronize the physical media crowd went with another half-rear end distributor.

Again, they use what they are given. Yell at the studios :shrug:

Boinks posted:

It feels weird not buying my Mill Creek discs out of a 5 ft tall bin of movies at the hardware store though.

I was gonna post a Mill Creek blu I found last Summer in such a bin at Menard's, but then I figured I'd have fun with it.

Which one was $10 from Amazon, and which was $6 from Menard's?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

pwn posted:

I suppose they could have done SD on Blu-ray, though that probably would have pissed people off even more.

I looked into it after I made my post and apparently Mill Creek made the deal with Tsuburaya before Tsuburaya released the Blurays in Japan to avoid consumers importing them from the US since Blurays are expensive in Japan. And I don't blame them, I used to live there and Blurays were like $50 minimum :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pwn posted:

Way too easy, Gold Diggers $10 from Amazon, the Paper $6 at Menards

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

VoodooXT posted:

I looked into it after I made my post and apparently Mill Creek made the deal with Tsuburaya before Tsuburaya released the Blurays in Japan to avoid consumers importing them from the US since Blurays are expensive in Japan. And I don't blame them, I used to live there and Blurays were like $50 minimum :smith:

Japanese Blu-ray and DVD distributors can get away with murder because online piracy is not as ubiquitous as it is in the United States.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Edward Mass posted:

Japanese Blu-ray and DVD distributors can get away with murder because online piracy is not as ubiquitous as it is in the United States.

It was the same in the VHS and early DVD days too, before online piracy was a big thing.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Any idea why this is the case? stricter laws?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

PinkoBastard posted:

Any idea why this is the case? stricter laws?

I don't think so - the UK is 8th in the world in piracy, despite their strict laws.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gripweed posted:

It was the same in the VHS and early DVD days too, before online piracy was a big thing.

Just gonna guess, I have no hard data at all to back this up. Don't most people in Japan, at least in the big cities, have very small flats? I'm not well-versed in this matter, VoodooXT may know more, but if that's the case, then someone has to be very choosy about what they own. This may be partially why miniatures are so popular there, you can have a bunch of neat little things that take up little space.

So if someone actually has a disc player and TV, they're not going to have room for hundreds of titles, but probably a much smaller collection. This would mean that they are a de facto luxury, whatever their actual cost of manufacture is, and would be priced accordingly.

Iron Crowned posted:

Way too easy, Gold Diggers $10 from Amazon, the Paper $6 at Menards

The Paper was from Amazon! Meanwhile I saw Golddiggers while getting some protest supplies and let the impulse warsh over me. I hope it's worth at least $6, whenever I do get around to watching it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

I wouldn't exactly say that. Japan has a culture of rental shops whose sole purpose is for customers to rent media and copy them at home because media is just so drat expensive there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

pwn posted:

Just gonna guess, I have no hard data at all to back this up. Don't most people in Japan, at least in the big cities, have very small flats? I'm not well-versed in this matter, VoodooXT may know more, but if that's the case, then someone has to be very choosy about what they own. This may be partially why miniatures are so popular there, you can have a bunch of neat little things that take up little space.

So if someone actually has a disc player and TV, they're not going to have room for hundreds of titles, but probably a much smaller collection. This would mean that they are a de facto luxury, whatever their actual cost of manufacture is, and would be priced accordingly.

But books, especially manga, are cheaper.

I’m going to bet it’s because of some kind of business fuckery, like the movie studios had a deal with video rental places or something like that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pwn posted:

If you mean without upscaling, alas it’s against format spec to do that. Which is dumb, as having a single BD in place of 7 DVDs is far better imo. I think they thought it would confuse people at the beginning of the format (or possibly mean a batch of cheap underwhelming releases that wouldn’t sell the format well).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Edward Mass posted:

I'm still waiting for a 4K Criterion of Beastie Boys Video Anthology.
Maaan what they really should do is raid The Residents' archives 'cause everything available on film was scanned in at 4K recently and there's 50 goddamn years worth of stuff to go through.

All the Vileness Fats material shot on film would look incredible in 4K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44NRtZspjJk

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

Again, they use what they are given. Yell at the studios :shrug:

I was gonna post a Mill Creek blu I found last Summer in such a bin at Menard's, but then I figured I'd have fun with it.

Oh dang I had no idea The Paper had a release. That movie is pretty good. Def worth $6.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Weird Al is possibly working on HD remasters of his music videos. He uploaded a raw scan of Eat It (4K scan of the 16mm negative) not long ago.

On that note, I'd love to see a UHD release of a bunch of classic music videos. A bunch are on YouTube, but would be nice to have better compression and lossless audio.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

I wouldn't exactly say that. Japan has a culture of rental shops whose sole purpose is for customers to rent media and copy them at home because media is just so drat expensive there.

I never paid attention when it came to video, but I know when it came to CDs, back in the late 90's and early 00's, Japanese editions almost always had 2 or 3 B-sides that you couldn't find anywhere else. I assume it was specifically to drive sales from international collectors.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Vinegar Syndrome partner label releases for the month up for preorder:

American Rapstar
Amigo
Deep Undead
Eat Brains Love
For the Plasma
Foxhole
GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling
Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows
The Son of the Stars
Thrust
Who Done It?: The Clue Documentary
Wild Reeds

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bio Zombie is also great. Hopefully (the slip) is still available next week on payday.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Dang, two great wrestling docs on one month. The rest of the partner labels don’t do much for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

Bio Zombie is also great. Hopefully (the slip) is still available next week on payday.

I wouldn't sweat it, they still have slips for From Beyond.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Also, they’re doing books now.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/pages/vinegar-syndrome-publishing

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wrestling With Shadows is an instant buy for me, probably gonna get Bio Zombie too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is son of the stars a kind of he-man knock off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

abelwingnut posted:

is son of the stars a kind of he-man knock off?

I don't know, but I just blind bought it because I'm a sucker for that kind of animation.