Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Books are my collecting weakness. Limited Run Games started publishing too, all my other hobbies are converging to fight for shelf space I don't have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zer0spunk posted:

Books are my collecting weakness. Limited Run Games started publishing too, all my other hobbies are converging to fight for money I don't have

FTFM

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The worst is knowing drat well that this book you can pre-order for 30-40% off the cover price, will be 3-4x the cover price if you don't get it and it goes out of print. At least with discs, it's rare a standard edition is hard to get for a good long while

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VS trying to become too big to fail

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MacheteZombie posted:

VS trying to become too big to fail

I wouldn't be surprised in like, 5 years time where they start acquiring failing smaller distribution labels like an independent movie distributor Electronic Arts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I wouldn't be surprised in like, 5 years time where they start acquiring failing smaller distribution labels like an independent movie distributor Electronic Arts.

I mean it's gunna happen, I suspect they'll be acquiring the partner labels they work with now when those start to fold.

I think it was here that someone shared an interview with I think the VS head talking about how 1 poor release could sink a whole label.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean it's gunna happen, I suspect they'll be acquiring the partner labels they work with now when those start to fold.

I think it was here that someone shared an interview with I think the VS head talking about how 1 poor release could sink a whole label.

Vin is my fav boutique just due to the fact that they hired a really good 1st AC (camera assistant) I know. Dude is legit a giant film nerd in every sense, and I'm happy knowing they are as gung ho as the customers about movies.

he's in "special projects" over there (his title)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of boutique labels, a friend got me this two-pack for Christmas and I think I’ve found a new label to follow.

We watched Thrilling Bloody Sword last weekend and it was excellent. The transfer obviously came from a beat-to-hell print, but it just added to the charm. Each disc also includes a bonus movie that shares the same general theme, and I found a third film on each disc when I ripped them for Plex. Kinda cool.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I really really don't have time for fomo in books. No.

MacheteZombie posted:

It was the head of acquisitions for Kino, and I think it was two poor 4ks, due to their expense. Been a minute since I listened to it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFCws4M_gg

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Man, I wish VS would hire my out of work cinematographer rear end to work on stuff. :smith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

so I ended up with an extra copy of Belly 4K because Best Buy forgot and I refunded it.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of boutique labels, a friend got me this two-pack for Christmas and I think I’ve found a new label to follow.

We watched Thrilling Bloody Sword last weekend and it was excellent. The transfer obviously came from a beat-to-hell print, but it just added to the charm. Each disc also includes a bonus movie that shares the same general theme, and I found a third film on each disc when I ripped them for Plex. Kinda cool.

These guys rock rear end and Justin DeCloux who co-runs the label is a pro Letterboxd follow as well!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Oh poo poo, Culture Shock is releasing Thrust -- which I was literally just looking for yesterday. I'm a big fan of Erin Brown (fka Misty Mundae) and will happily add this one to the collection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PinkoBastard posted:

These guys rock rear end and Justin DeCloux who co-runs the label is a pro Letterboxd follow as well!

Nice, I’ll check him out! I was so pleased with Thrilling Bloody Sword that I went ahead and bought their Jackie-sploitation and White Zombie 16mm releases.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

so I ended up with an extra copy of Belly 4K because Best Buy forgot and I refunded it.

The steelbook is really cool

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

The steelbook is really cool

Yeah it is. Now I got an extra to look at lovingly behind its shrink wrap.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is there really a market for novelizations of niche movies?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goons will buy anything yes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ngl, I would probably buy a Christmas Evil novelization just because I love that movie

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm hoping they do more than stuff like that new york ninja sequel comic and branch out into books on film itself or specific genres. hell i'd even be cool with them doing what a24 does with related media from the same creators..the everything everywhere book they published is pretty neat

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh yeah, this is a super cool tiny label. All of it is done by one guy, which is crazy. You gotta check out the Motern movies he's put out too. Really top-of-the-line out there independent movies that are made by for a couple thousand dollars each.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mantis42 posted:

Goons will buy anything yes

This checks out, I bought the Uncle Frank 2 Novelization having never seen either Uncle Frank, or Uncle Frank 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

zer0spunk posted:

I'm hoping they do more than stuff like that new york ninja sequel comic and branch out into books on film itself or specific genres. hell i'd even be cool with them doing what a24 does with related media from the same creators..the everything everywhere book they published is pretty neat

Oh yeah, I'd love books that break down microgenres or cover niche film history. They could do something like, 1,001 It's OK If You Don't See Before You Die.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

i preordered their White Zombie release after this thread made its way into my twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/GoldNinjaVideo/status/1611111695425982465

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wyoming posted:

i preordered their White Zombie release after this thread made its way into my twitter feed.

YOu know what, I think I will be doing that too come payday :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh wow this From Beyond UHD comes with a feature length doc about the movie. Had I known that the decision to buy it would've been even easier.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Iron Crowned posted:

This checks out, I bought the Uncle Frank 2 Novelization having never seen either Uncle Frank, or Uncle Frank 2.

Uncle kent, and I still love that you did that, I'm sure it's more entertaining than both films

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well my weekend is set.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Blades is a lot of fun

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Severin announced the boxset nobody deserved in April

The Birdemic trilogy https://severinfilms.com/collections/pre-order/products/wings-of-disaster-box

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol easy pass

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

wyoming posted:

Honestly, this is a fun way to do a release. Want to sell something like EVIL DEAD for the hundredth time? Slap some retro cover art on it and include a “degraded version” as a bonus.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tesh posted:

Honestly, this is a fun way to do a release. Want to sell something like EVIL DEAD for the hundredth time? Slap some retro cover art on it and include a “degraded version” as a bonus.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chris James 2 posted:

Severin announced the boxset nobody deserved in April

The Birdemic trilogy https://severinfilms.com/collections/pre-order/products/wings-of-disaster-box

The cover for Birdemic 3 is really cool

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Blades is a lot of fun

Yeah i might knock off early from work and do a Blades/Rush Week double feature.

OT: anyone grab that Battle Royale boxset from Arrow?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battle-Royale-4K-Blu-ray/285285/

I kinda want to pull the trigger if I can get it somewhere for a fair price.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I feel really bad for all of you that picked up Ted Bundy. It's absolutely miserable.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Gold Ninja also did a version of The Mad Monster that I’d love to get, I love old 30s and 40s horror stuff. Anything with George Zucco or Lionel Atwill is A-OK in my book.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

OT: anyone grab that Battle Royale boxset from Arrow?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battle-Royale-4K-Blu-ray/285285/

I kinda want to pull the trigger if I can get it somewhere for a fair price.

I'm holding out for someone in my region to license these. The day we stop getting extras on region locked blus though, I will go nuts on importing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

I feel really bad for all of you that picked up Ted Bundy. It's absolutely miserable.

I dunno I watched Babylon last night and that was 3 hours of misery (minus the 1 good scene where they're shooting with sound for the first time). It's only uphill after last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I dunno I watched Babylon last night and that was 3 hours of misery (minus the 1 good scene where they're shooting with sound for the first time). It's only uphill after last night.

This reminds me I still need to see whiplash.