Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

escape artist posted:

need recommendations for what's good on the criterion channel. i got a month because I thought it had Straw Dogs but apparently it doesn't.

You can throw a stone and find something great, but here's a variety pack of things I love:

- George Washington
- Me and You and Everyone We Know
- Old Joy
- Funny Games (This one isn't for everyone, but if you can stomach violence and meta stuff then you might dig it. I'm a fan.)
- Fog of War (Basically you should watch everything available by Errol Morris though.)
- American Movie
- Run Lola Run
- Tetsuo: The Iron Man
- Naked
- Paris, Texas

Recommended with heavy reservations:

- Antichrist (The violence depicted is extreme and the film is incredibly unpleasant and cruel in general. It isn't one you watch for entertainment value, but it has value and was well worth enduring for me. I probably won't ever watch it again though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are some decent "spooky medieval action fantasy" movies? Think like 13th warrior, the bit in Greta and Hansel where the huntsman is briefly present, that recent Viking movie based on the old tale that also influenced Hamlet, etc.

I guess another way to put it would be stuff like the spookier parts of LotR?

I'll take any decent B movie recommendations, I figure I've already seen anything that would be called truly excellent, like The Green Knight.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are some decent "spooky medieval action fantasy" movies? Think like 13th warrior, the bit in Greta and Hansel where the huntsman is briefly present, that recent Viking movie based on the old tale that also influenced Hamlet, etc.

I'll take any decent B movie recommendations, I figure I've already seen anything that would be called truly excellent, like The Green Knight.

Black Death with Sean Bean

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Spine of Night
Krull
Flesh+Blood

And if you haven't seen em you can dive into Sword and Sorcery stuff like Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, Red Sonja, Beastmaster, and Conquest

Oh yeah and the recent Dark Crystal show is pretty good.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 16, 2023

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Jack B Nimble posted:

The last third of Excalibur probably qualifies.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking for more movies like Boiling Point which are thrillers but have relatively low stakes and deal with subject matter that isn't the usual fare.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Give In Bruges a shot

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I still haven't gotten around to watching it but I believe "The Terror" series would fit.

It's really, really good. I've only seen the first season but I assume that's what you meant.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like Boiling Point which are thrillers but have relatively low stakes and deal with subject matter that isn't the usual fare.

The original McQueen/Dunaway Thomas Crowne Affair might scratch that itch.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Tea Bone posted:

I'd say Good Time and Uncut Gems from the Safdies, Martha May Martha Marlene from Sean Durkin, Red Road from Andrea Arnold, arguably anything else from those directors too. Also the Pusher trilogy from Refn. And I'm sure Locke fits the profile but I have to confess I haven't seen it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i've seen locke and it does qualify

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I'd say Good Time and Uncut Gems from the Safdies, Martha May Martha Marlene from Sean Durkin, Red Road from Andrea Arnold, arguably anything else from those directors too. Also the Pusher trilogy from Refn. And I'm sure Locke fits the profile but I have to confess I haven't seen it

Awesome thanks. I loved Uncut Gems and Good Time. I haven't heard of the rest so will definitely check them out.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Tea Bone posted:

Cold Weather and Gemini have somewhat standard mysteries (missing ex and murder respectively) but are handled in pretty low stakes ways, Cold Weather especially, and are both really good. Also Win it All.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't believe I'm saying it but I actually don't like Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan. He feels too old for the role. I didn't like Clear and Present Danger nearly as much as I did The Hunt for Red October. I need to watch Patriot Games at some point but I remember bits of it as I've watched parts of it on TV when I was younger. That film might kinda get the "coziness" factor right with the genre though.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

(...snip)
A Most Wanted Man
The Bridge of Spies
The Constant Gardener
The Night Manager (the one with Hugh Laurie)

I need to return to these at some point. I started the Night Manager but it didn't grab me hugely.

edit: control+edit isn't end line.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy... I could mostly follow it but it was quite cerebral for my tastes. Weirdly, it actually reminded me mostly of....Star Wars the Old Republic's Imperial Agent story. I guess that specific class storyline took bit more from UK secret service/espionage/vernacular than I expected? With the one word titles like "Control" and in-agency subterfuge. The storyline's (partial) author wrote about some of his more relevant inspirations on his blog in this second entry of the story.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 25, 2023

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Dessel posted:

I need to return to these at some point. I started the Night Manager but it didn't grab me hugely.

A Most Wanted Man is excellent.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not medieval but I always think of The Brotherhood of the Wolf for this vibe

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer
Cachet/Hidden
We Need to Talk About Kevin

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Dessel posted:

I can't believe I'm saying it but I actually don't like Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan. He feels too old for the role. I didn't like Clear and Present Danger nearly as much as I did The Hunt for Red October. I need to watch Patriot Games at some point but I remember bits of it as I've watched parts of it on TV when I was younger. That film might kinda get the "coziness" factor right with the genre though.

edit: control+edit isn't end line.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy... I could mostly follow it but it was quite cerebral for my tastes. Weirdly, it actually reminded me mostly of....Star Wars the Old Republic's Imperial Agent story. I guess that specific class storyline took bit more from UK secret service/espionage/vernacular than I expected? With the one word titles like "Control" and in-agency subterfuge. The storyline's (partial) author wrote about some of his more relevant inspirations on his blog in this second entry of the story.
You might enjoy the 1997 version of The Jackal. It has that same sort of 90's spy-ish action feel. A little smaller in scale and budget, but still a fun film.

I really need to watch the original at some point.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Uh, The Seventh Seal if you've not already seen it. Maybe? I realize it's probably not quite what you're looking for, but drat if it doesn't fit the definition and I can't imagine there are many movies that do.

Much as I'd like to endorse Name of the Rose, for instance, it doesn't have that much action and is more far-fetched than real fantasy.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

might be more "spooky medieval fantasy" than action and it's a short film, but the black angel from 1980, whole thing is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8pHKP-vv4

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Valhalla Rising?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Jack B Nimble posted:

Beowulf & Grendel is a mixed bag, but the things that work are great.
Half the crew nearly died filming it, there is a documentary Wrath of Gods about the hardships during production.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Anyone got any suggestions for "pseudo-intellectuals talking non-stop" movies ala Whit Stillman and Noah Baumbach? Just re-watched kicking and screaming and that whole "people talking abstractly about nothing" conceit was really entertaining. I've seen most of Linklaters stuff too. Just to clarify, I like these movies, just the content and way the dialogue is written is so unlike real life I find it amusing. Maybe it's a 90s thing?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
My Dinner With Andre is what you meant

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

morestuff posted:

My Dinner With Andre is what you meant

Shoot I've already seen that one. Excellent movie though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

magic cactus posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for "pseudo-intellectuals talking non-stop" movies ala Whit Stillman and Noah Baumbach? Just re-watched kicking and screaming and that whole "people talking abstractly about nothing" conceit was really entertaining. I've seen most of Linklaters stuff too. Just to clarify, I like these movies, just the content and way the dialogue is written is so unlike real life I find it amusing. Maybe it's a 90s thing?

Annie Hall. Manhattan. Woody Allen in general, but especially his 70s and 80s dramas / dramedys.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

magic cactus posted:

I thought you were talking about the Will Ferrell movie :sweatdrop:

I haven't watched it in 20 years, but 1995's Smoke is kind of like that in parts. It's a bit more of a melodrama. Apparently it's the same guy who did The Center of the World, which I never saw.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magic cactus posted:

The Man from Earth from 2007 might scratch that itch.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Annie Hall. Manhattan. Woody Allen in general, but especially his 70s and 80s dramas / dramedys.

I've seen Manhattan and Annie Hall, don't know why I didn't think of them as related to that style of film but they are pretty similar.

ynohtna posted:

The Man from Earth from 2007 might scratch that itch.

I've seen it but unsurprisingly it's one of my favorites. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Magnetic North posted:

I thought you were talking about the Will Ferrell movie :sweatdrop:

I haven't watched it in 20 years, but 1995's Smoke is kind of like that in parts. It's a bit more of a melodrama. Apparently it's the same guy who did The Center of the World, which I never saw.

Looking it up apparently Paul Auster wrote the script. I had no idea he'd written stuff beyond novels. I'll check it out thanks for the suggestion!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

magic cactus posted:

Looking it up apparently Paul Auster wrote the script. I had no idea he'd written stuff beyond novels. I'll check it out thanks for the suggestion!

Just wanna say thanks for the recommend. It wasn't a home-run, (like you said a bit mellow dramatic) but a solid watch all the same.

Whoops drunkposting but yeah, solid rec.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 4, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

magic cactus posted:

Just wanna say thanks for the recommend. It wasn't a home-run, (like you said a bit mellow dramatic) but a solid watch all the same.

:tipshat:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

More Baumbach? Try the newly released White Noise. The dialogue alone is very abstract and there's lines like "your wife has important hair" that baffle me

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

magic cactus posted:

It isn't talking about nothing but maybe you'd enjoy The Sunset Limited.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My Night at Mauds fits that pseudo intellectuals talking about nothing bill pretty well.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

My Night at Mauds fits that pseudo intellectuals talking about nothing bill pretty well.

I've seen that one already, loved it for that exact reason. Thanks for the suggestion though!

anatomi posted:

Just looked it up and this seems extremely my kind of film, I'll watch this tonight. Thank you!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 5, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

anatomi posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. Just watched this and it was fantastic.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Given the current hubbub about UFOs, I'm wondering if there are any movies about someone wanting to explore alien worlds because they don't feel like they belong in society, or something like that.

Best I can think of is *maybe* under the skin in a twisted sort of way, and another earth (if you take a loose reading on "alien worlds".) Wondering if I missed something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's sort of what Close Encounters of the Third Kind is about.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Naked Lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

magic cactus posted:

Given the current hubbub about UFOs, I'm wondering if there are any movies about someone wanting to explore alien worlds because they don't feel like they belong in society, or something like that.

Best I can think of is *maybe* under the skin in a twisted sort of way, and another earth (if you take a loose reading on "alien worlds".) Wondering if I missed something.

I feel like Ad Astra has some of this in it. Also, if you can deal with the only available copies being bad VHS rips, there's a movie called UFOria with Harry Dean Stanton and Fred Ward that's all about lonely weirdos and UFOs. It's on YouTube, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6pW2Ruxhg