Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Currently building the venerable Tamiya Panzer II with my 10 year old. It's coming together very easily and I think we will be mixing up some purple for the airbrush soon.

On the topic of airbrushing; I ran into a strange issue while airbrushing the other day. My flat paint came out almost semi-glossy.

I use Ammo Mig's German Gay, mixed with the Mig brand thinner and with a drop of Vallejo flow improver.
It sprayed great! Best spraying experience so far. No clouds. However it did not dry to a flat finish.

Could it be too much thinner? The mixed brand flow improver?

quote:

A beautiful T-34

From the thumbnails I thought it was a 1/35 scale first! Very nicely painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Follow up...I tried again without the Vallejo flow improver and it looks great now.

I also noticed a lot less issues with tip drying using the Ammo paint vs Model Air. I would not have expected that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah I am definitely planning on going with Tamiya at first. Their car models are always top notch so I would assume there would be a similar level of quality with their military models. I love T55s and Challengers I might have to check those out.
Don't be intimidated by tracks, especially with Tamiya, who tend to (in my experience at least) use vinyl tracks that are pretty straightforward to attach.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

Don't be intimidated by tracks, especially with Tamiya, who tend to (in my experience at least) use vinyl tracks that are pretty straightforward to attach.

There are kits where the tracks suck rear end but none of the ones I've encountered were Tamiya.

Big thing is if you're not sure, google up pictures of the sprues. Even individual links aren't THAT bad unless they connect to the sprue on one of the surfaces where they will join with other links. I have no idea why some companies design kits that way but it makes me want to die.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Tamiya Walker Bulldog is also a foolproof beginner's kit in the same price bracket if you want to steer clear of Nazis altogether.

I really like this kit, it goes together easy and it's like the most tankiest tank you can find. Like if a regular person pictures a tank, they think of something that looks like a bulldog.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Walker Bulldog is a 1950s light tank, which means it looks like any western tank from the 50's through to the late 80s, not super modern but not WW1 or 2 either.

Have the kit assembled and base coated, can confirm it's exceptionally solid for the price

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 2, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just put together a Walker Bulldog myself. Waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can go out to the garage and paint it. I've been using my garage compressor with an air dryer on it, but I can already see a compressor and fan box in my future so I can paint indoors. Running outside and trying to get a coat down while the paint and model are still warm is a pain in the rear end.

I had a real "shake the box and it will assemble itself" moment when I was dry fitting the top and bottom halves expecting to have to do some sanding or other tweaking and nope, they just went right together, so I got the cement and made it official.

Also, potential hack from a newbie: I've been struggling with filling the Touch n Flow, so my technique is now to put the tip in my bottle of extra thin and blow in the back so that the bubbles can confirm the tip isn't blocked by any plastic residue, then instead of flipping it over and letting capillary action do it's thing, I just use a blunt syringe to fill it about 2/3 full. This gets rid of a lot of putting it in the jar and tapping it when the cement doesn't rise up, then putting the tip in for the cement to clear it out when that doesn't work, then rinsing and repeating. I was getting really frustrated with it till I figured out that a blunt syringe will fit inside it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

stealie72 posted:

Just put together a Walker Bulldog myself. Waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can go out to the garage and paint it. I've been using my garage compressor with an air dryer on it, but I can already see a compressor and fan box in my future so I can paint indoors. Running outside and trying to get a coat down while the paint and model are still warm is a pain in the rear end.

A thing I was planning on doing, and a thing a friend ACTUALLY DID DO, was run an air line from their compressor into their house. My firend has a 3 story place, and it had speaking tubes installed. He got some nylon tubing, and ran an air line from the coal room downstairs up to the upper floors. Now he's got compressed air for his office and cleanign around upstairs.

... I'm deeply jealous.

I have some sort of conduit from my garage to the house, but I can't figure out how to get some air line through it... or else I'd have my house plummbed for compressed air too.

-----------

Can you tell my buddys house is from the 1930s?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Touch n Flow should have come with a small plastic bottle. You put the end of the Touch n Flow into the tip of the bottle, squeeze the bottle and let it suck up cement into the applicator.

Don't do what you were doing, especially blowing into applicator. Your one errant cough away from drinking the cement through the applicator, and then your landlord finds your mummified corpse slumped over your hobby desk 3 years later.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Touch n Flow should have come with a small plastic bottle. You put the end of the Touch n Flow into the tip of the bottle, squeeze the bottle and let it suck up cement into the applicator.

Don't do what you were doing, especially blowing into applicator. Your one errant cough away from drinking the cement through the applicator, and then your landlord finds your mummified corpse slumped over your hobby desk 3 years later.
Mine came from my local hobby store with just the applicator and nothing else :shrug:

The instructions were to put the butt end into your cement and wait for capillary action to draw cement into the tube, which does not work great, and obviously doesn't work at all if there's any plastic blockage in the tip that stops the air from being displaced. What you're describing sounds like it does work great.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I personally used a Touch N Flow for about two minutes before switching to using the Tamiya Extra Thin brush. Was not a fan of the TNF at all.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Has anyone used the acrylic varnishes from Vallejo? I'm unsure if I should thin them for brush painting or if they're good to go straight from the bottle

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tin Tim posted:

Has anyone used the acrylic varnishes from Vallejo? I'm unsure if I should thin them for brush painting or if they're good to go straight from the bottle

I put them in my airbrush straight from the bottle.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you liked my small T-34, here's an even smaller T-34. This one is 3D printed at 1:100 scale. I painted this one as a part of a group build that limited painting time to 3 hours so it's fairly basic. The oil paint whitewash is doing a lot as far as giving the thing definition since I only had time to do a simple black wash for the grilles.

Since this is going in the mail later, I used a very flexible resin, unfortunately this means that the barrel came out slightly droopy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can go out to the garage and paint it. I've been using my garage compressor with an air dryer on it, but I can already see a compressor and fan box in my future so I can paint indoors. Running outside and trying to get a coat down while the paint and model are still warm is a pain in the rear end.

Would it be feasible to run a line from that compressor into the house where you build models? That way you'd have the advantage of using the larger tank of a real compressor and all the noise stays outside.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Popping in to say that while I have no interest in doing this myself, I love looking at all y’alls work. Please keep posting your stuff :bigtran:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ensign Expendable posted:

If you liked my small T-34, here's an even smaller T-34. This one is 3D printed at 1:100 scale. I painted this one as a part of a group build that limited painting time to 3 hours so it's fairly basic. The oil paint whitewash is doing a lot as far as giving the thing definition since I only had time to do a simple black wash for the grilles.

Where areyou getting the stl files for these? I can never find decent scale stuff to print.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Small scale tanks you say? I picked these up recently and have a notion to create a tiny little diorama of them crossing a river or something

also maybe a 1/700 'black buck' vulcan diorama of this flying over a small patch of sea

I've been making a bit of progress this week with Tamiya's 1/72 BF109 G6. I've got all the wee parts painted up and a base coat of RLM76 under and round the sides of the airframe. The next stage is the complicated RLM 74 & 75 freehand mottling which will be a good measure of my airbrush paint thinning skills.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tidal wave emulator posted:

Small scale tanks you say? I picked these up recently and have a notion to create a tiny little diorama of them crossing a river or something

Those gun barrels at 3mm scale are making me nervous.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I managed to get an Epic Scale WH40k Baneblade a while back and been wanting to do a diorama with it.
Even made a rough "sketch".

At some point I need to order some vallejo texture paints and figure out how to do a small scale tank muzzle flash.

Sadly that's the only one I managed to get but I'd still love to do more small scale stuff like that at some point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anvil Industries do resin 28mm muzzle flashes that work well on BattleTech stuff, so they'll likely have one that'll fit nicely there. Just drill a thin hole right through the middle to pin it into the barrel and stick a bit of flower arranging wire in to hold the round at the end.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

Where areyou getting the stl files for these? I can never find decent scale stuff to print.

The T-34 was this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1810119

It's not great to be honest, the details are very simplified even for the scale. Can't argue with the price though!

also maybe a 1/700 'black buck' vulcan diorama of this flying over a small patch of sea

I've been making a bit of progress this week with Tamiya's 1/72 BF109 G6. I've got all the wee parts painted up and a base coat of RLM76 under and round the sides of the airframe. The next stage is the complicated RLM 74 & 75 freehand mottling which will be a good measure of my airbrush paint thinning skills.

Holy moly, how do you even paint this?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I will probably just airbrush them green, give them a bit of a dry-brush and then let everyone's imaginations do the rest of the work.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What can/should I do on top of Artwox veneer deck planking? Am I going to need an enamel varnish to prevent warping and swelling?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I will probably just airbrush them green, give them a bit of a dry-brush and then let everyone's imaginations do the rest of the work.
Paint the tracks a muddy brown that matches the base and pick out the gun mantlet cover in an olive-ish green and you'll be golden.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Anvil Industries do resin 28mm muzzle flashes that work well on BattleTech stuff, so they'll likely have one that'll fit nicely there. Just drill a thin hole right through the middle to pin it into the barrel and stick a bit of flower arranging wire in to hold the round at the end.

I think I've seen them before, but I thought they worked better for automatic weapons and not tank guns. But I'll have to check again.

But so far I've drilled a hole into the barrel for some wire, just need to find a good way to do the 'disc' so to speak, the guides I have been able to find haven't been exactly the most helpful.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What's everyone's favorite military modeller on YouTube? I'm looking for some good ones since all the modellers I follow currently are strictly car modelers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

I think I've seen them before, but I thought they worked better for automatic weapons and not tank guns. But I'll have to check again.

But so far I've drilled a hole into the barrel for some wire, just need to find a good way to do the 'disc' so to speak, the guides I have been able to find haven't been exactly the most helpful.
IIRC somewhere deep in the line they had a Gauss Rifle round at one point, which is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. The "disk" is probably formed only after the round is well out of scope of the diorama in reality, but 40k runs on Rule of Cool so go hog wild.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Charliegrs posted:

What's everyone's favorite military modeller on YouTube? I'm looking for some good ones since all the modellers I follow currently are strictly car modelers.
Night Shift is hard to beat imo

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Plasmo updates way less often than Night Shift, but I tend to like his projects more.
Moshiyan is Japanese but has English subs available for all their videos.

I've got a bunch for minis and Gundams, but alas, not so much for scale folks. There's plenty of also-ran folks, but nobody who stands out as a gotta-watch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Charliegrs posted:

Night Shift is great. He's got excellent technique to demonstrate and is an easy listen. He also chooses interesting subjects, like the Panzer of the Lake, a matched set of wrecked British and German WW1 tanks, and other interesting stuff. His weathering techniques like very achievable.

I also like Amegraphy for model ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yASYXStDPb8

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

IIRC somewhere deep in the line they had a Gauss Rifle round at one point, which is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. The "disk" is probably formed only after the round is well out of scope of the diorama in reality, but 40k runs on Rule of Cool so go hog wild.

Perhaps, even then I was mostly looking at real life tanks firing.
Although I suppose muzzle flash is the wrong way to describe that effect but it's what got at least some hits for tutorial on youtube.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
On the subject of YouTubers, one of my faves is Barbatos Rex https://youtube.com/@barbatosrex9473

He is very much car and gunpla focused but basically doesn't do any builds on the channels it's almost completely paint and tool reviews which is pretty universal for the modelling hobby.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Night Shift is great. He's got excellent technique to demonstrate and is an easy listen. He also chooses interesting subjects, like the Panzer of the Lake, a matched set of wrecked British and German WW1 tanks, and other interesting stuff. His weathering techniques like very achievable.

I also like Amegraphy for model ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yASYXStDPb8

I looked up Amegraphy and LMAO their latest video is painting Kongo the goldest gold to ever gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF9TA3veFmE

I'm sold, I'll watch the gently caress out of 'em.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Holy crap, that's tiny! Is it printed or cast?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I looked up Amegraphy and LMAO their latest video is painting Kongo the goldest gold to ever gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF9TA3veFmE

I'm sold, I'll watch the gently caress out of 'em.

That channel is an insta-follow from me!

Studio Blue Ocean is another great ship channel, especially for the guy's amazing sea bases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBhu655BGk

therunningman posted:

Holy crap, that's tiny! Is it printed or cast?

The T-55s are 3D printed, the Vulcan is cast resin.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

Perhaps, even then I was mostly looking at real life tanks firing.
Although I suppose muzzle flash is the wrong way to describe that effect but it's what got at least some hits for tutorial on youtube.
No, it's definitely a muzzle flash, it's just that it's doing weird stuff with the burning gas as a result of the round having gone downrange at a significant Mach number. I would guess that the type of muzzle brake on the gun would make a significant difference to the shape of it too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

No, it's definitely a muzzle flash, it's just that it's doing weird stuff with the burning gas as a result of the round having gone downrange at a significant Mach number. I would guess that the type of muzzle brake on the gun would make a significant difference to the shape of it too.

Oh gods, I haven't even considered the muzzle brake in that case. Would definitely have to look up some good reference images for that to model it at least semi-accurately.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Rule Of Cool it. Do exactly what you want it to look like and go "yeah 40k space magic tech :science:" if anyone asks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Which I doubt anyone will, but a fair point nonetheless.

Edit:
Still need to find good, non-video preferably, tutorials on how to make something like that. Anyone have any good ones available?

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 4, 2023