Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i don't dislike it, but the latest few chapters have made me feel like i've missed enough little things that it's added up into a big thing that's damaging my comprehension of the story and the motivations of the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, same. Thanks for the thoughts, there's enough good web serials out there that I'll drop it rather than trying to power through it.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
BTDEM public chapter 384 question. Are we the reader supposed to know who Flora is from ancient Remus at this point? I'm blanking on the details if this was a character we saw in that part of the story or not. I mean, if not then we'll find out later I suppose.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
She appeared in the earlier interlude chapter. Google cache has someone with the same name showing up earlier in chapter 148 and 118.1

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sibling of TB posted:

BTDEM public chapter 384 question. Are we the reader supposed to know who Flora is from ancient Remus at this point? I'm blanking on the details if this was a character we saw in that part of the story or not. I mean, if not then we'll find out later I suppose.

She’s Kallisto’s daughter. The playboy from the Ranger team Elaine first joined. Not surprising you are blanking since she’s only briefly appears a few times pre-time skip

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Sibling of TB posted:

Was mentioned VERY briefly in the past.

Meta - she's named after my kid, so she's got the thickest plot armor you'll ever see. At the same time, we're not going to see tons of her.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bhodi posted:

I mean, adobe is doing it by default and you have to specifically opt out. People on reddit can agitate and say whatever they want to but corps are rolling right over opinions unless they have the lawyers to contest it.

Good luck! Adobe is probably 50% lawyers by volume.

yeah but that's because they appoint legal grads based on who can eat all their competitors for the job

which in fairness is the industry standard for lawyers freshly entering the workforce

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Industrial Strength Magic is back! And starting weird!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Elaine’s dad has entered the chat:

https://twitter.com/interneth0f/status/1622705500482568194?s=46&t=KXRNXBlYcc8QEXGbAtziIA

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Those are some really cheap fruits!

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

I can't tell you how many people are pinging me about this - on reddit, discord, here, nowhere is safe

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
i mean auri deserves more than one pack of little smokies

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

I can't tell you how many people are pinging me about this - on reddit, discord, here, nowhere is safe

You’ve entered the zeitgeist! Literally the first thing I think of when someone mentions Mangoes now.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

huh, Super Minion just updated after a 2 year hiatus

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

my eternal vigil is over. god.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Jackal Among Snakes - I didn't like Argrave playing mind games with Eleanor but the last couple chapters with Orion have been kickass. Excited to see where he goes from here.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Argrave is way too Mary Sueish. And thats speaking as a patreon.

He has suffered zero loss or met real adversity.

A lot can always go weong but nothing really ever does.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm enjoying bioshifter a lot still and I hope she gets better at pronouns in her internal narration soon

and maybe stops mutating her friends in hosed up ways? well, that's a big ask.

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

90s Cringe Rock posted:

and maybe stops mutating her friends in hosed up ways? well, that's a big ask.
God forbid women do anything

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

God forbid women do anything
Goddess.

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost
My friends run a serial hosted through tumblr called {}
General CWs: body horror, violence, and depiction/discussion of trauma.

Updates Fridays. [/quote]

There's a patreon and some side-stories/prequels and things, and the third book just started and there's a recap if the backlog is too scary. There's a traveling circus and a priest with little mutant baby arms and a weird horse cult in no particular order, its great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edit: Removing the link from this bad post so no one like post-hoc harasses people I know.

KittenJucerSupreme fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 21, 2023

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
perhaps lurk more instead of flogging stuff?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'll be honest. i actively avoid stuff that posters say they or their friends work on.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think I read bits of Prairie Song back in, like, 2019-2020. Don't really remember anything about it, though. :shrug:

There's nothing wrong with flogging work here. Especially given that WebFictionGuide appears to be well and truly dead. But is there a better pitch? That hook doesn't really tell me anything beyond a bunch of trendy genericisms (found families, it's about trauma) and the usual thing where web serials use content warnings like marketing copy. What do you think is cool or interesting about the story, beyond that your friend works on it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It does feel weird to register an account here solely to advertise in the web serial thread, of all places.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Eh, let em hock their wares! It's not like their stuff is likely to be noticably worse than the average fare

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Larry Parrish posted:

i'll be honest. i actively avoid stuff that posters say they or their friends work on.

I'm sure some of it is just fine, but yeah, that's basically saying "I'm a biased source." Still, if it's a really interesting description I'll give it a look.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah some works by posters or friends of posters are really good, like Katalepsis

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost
I deserve poo poo for it, but I honestly just didn't know where else to start posting or what to say. I swear I'm here to be continually made fun of for bad posts and not just the one where I fail to actually pitch a web serial, and I'll probably go back to lurking since this wasn't well received. But yeah, the first post said linking was fine so I assumed this was a flogging-friendly thread.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

But is there a better pitch? That hook doesn't really tell me anything beyond a bunch of trendy genericisms (found families, it's about trauma) and the usual thing where web serials use content warnings like marketing copy. What do you think is cool or interesting about the story, beyond that your friend works on it?
Yeah I gave a really generic blurb for it and I think it makes it seem like its just a bunch of buzzwords. Bad post on my part.

I said I think Prairie Song compares to One Piece where the appeal is (in theory at least) that there's constantly a new place with something and someone interesting in it and then it moves to another interesting place when its explored that while keeping a running thread through it all, and I think Prairie Song treads a really fine line of doing that without ever losing grounding or depth. It can be silly but it never loses the inherent humanity of its characters to cartoon shenanigans or anything. The world is just connected enough to seem alive but still vast. It goes through a variety of tones without ever losing track of what its about, and while it's About Things and can get dark like in the blurb it's also never taking itself too seriously or being too full of itself. There's a lot of upheavals to its status quo a lot, to the point I don't know how to really summarize it without spoilers, but I think there's also something a little different going on in a way that adds variety and room. The western post-apocalyptic flavor adds a lot to this kind of traveling-episodic structure in interesting ways, and I think if you like these kind of "see a new place and new face every week" episodic stories this is a very good one.

In the name of open-ness it also has pacing issues- sometimes something doesn't get enough attention before moving on or it dangles development over your head for much too long or spends too much time with nothing really happening. I think this isn't new to web-serials at all and its never a consistent problem in any direction, but there are times you want to take the reins and control the speed a little more.

Like I said I am friends with the authors, but I wouldn't hock it on here- the forum that loves mockery- if I wasn't confident that someone wouldn't be into it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

It does feel weird to register an account here solely to advertise in the web serial thread, of all places.

A lot of people outside SA pay attention to this thread as it's one of the few places to discuss web serials that aren't a fandom for one particular story or Royal Road.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A lot of people outside SA pay attention to this thread as it's one of the few places to discuss web serials that aren't a fandom for one particular story or Royal Road.

Huh, that isn't something i expected.

I should probably update the op at some point then, it's been like 5 years :v:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I've always been kind of surprised there isn't a subreddit for webserials or something. I know there's one for progression fics but that's really just a subgenre, even if it's a big one. (edit: Looks like there is but it's a small one that I don't remember finding before)

And honestly it's a genre where you really need recommendations, because there's like a billion out there but most are really bad.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 12, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

oh god, they're all reading my posts :ohdear:

oh god, they're all reading my posts :black101:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bremen posted:

I've always been kind of surprised there isn't a subreddit for webserials or something. I know there's one for progression fics but that's really just a subgenre, even if it's a big one. (edit: Looks like there is but it's a small one that I don't remember finding before)

And honestly it's a genre where you really need recommendations, because there's like a billion out there but most are really bad.

/r/rational is mostly this. it's barely ever been about Yudkowsky-style ratfic and is mostly about "is this slightly less dumb as your average web serial?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Huh, that isn't something i expected.

I should probably update the op at some point then, it's been like 5 years :v:

Do it in about a month... :ssh:

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Y'all have a very good track record of predicting stuff that is maybe a little under the radar but will chart outside of RR. I legit check the thread as a test group for stories that have legs beyond their follow count.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Megazver posted:

/r/rational is mostly this. it's barely ever been about Yudkowsky-style ratfic and is mostly about "is this slightly less dumb as your average web serial?"

Their standards are weird, and pretty arbitrary.

"MC isn't acting like an emotionless robot! 0/10"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Selkie Myth posted:

Their standards are weird, and pretty arbitrary.

"MC isn't acting like an emotionless robot! 0/10"

The funniest part of that has always been people posting that and then talking about how good Worm is five minutes later, which notably is a story driven by the main character making a bad decision due to emotions in every single chapter.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bremen posted:

There is, but I remember when I went there I was surprised it didn't seem to have discussion of actual popular web serials (r/webnovels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cicero posted:

There is, but I remember when I went there I was surprised it didn't seem to have discussion of actual popular web serials (r/webnovels)

Webnovela used to be strictly focused on translated Asian stuff when I used to hang there years ago.

Edit: Nope, I was thinking of Noveltranslations.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 13, 2023