Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
my only real complaint is that some of the funny scenes get undercut by the direction. the manga version of kishibe meeting power and denji is really funny to read, but it's super slo mo bad rear end stuff in the anime that doesn't work for me. oh well, still thrilled we got an adaptation as good as the one we got. hopefully they spend the next 3 years animating the chapter where quanxi cuts everyone's head off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Most of the complaints seem nebulous and nitpicky to me, and yeah, I don't think a lot of those fans would've ever been satisfied regardless of how it turned out.

Some of the complaints I've seen though seem to not understand that a big difference between a manga and anime is the second one moves. Comparing still frames to manga panels with motion lines and complaining it's not animated enough like...wtf? (And yeah, I get their point but often the franticness or whatever they think is missing from the visuals is now in the characters' voices.)

It makes me wish they'd make two season 2s, one like season 1 and another that's just the VAs reading the manga as it pans across the screen. Should be cheap and easy to make, so that way there is a 1-to-1 adaptation and no complaints :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

yum posted:

tbh I side with the Japanese/CN fans. It was definitely a high-quality anime but I don't think it conveyed Fujimoto's voice accurately.

I think it did, but I still think all characters should've been rotoscoped

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Brightman posted:

It makes me wish they'd make two season 2s, one like season 1 and another that's just the VAs reading the manga as it pans across the screen. Should be cheap and easy to make, so that way there is a 1-to-1 adaptation and no complaints :v:

they should contact the team working on the way of the househusband anime

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Anime was super good, not 1:1 but I don't expect any adaptation to be. I binged that thing in like 2 days.

Kinda like JJK I think the manga has some qualities that are hard to translate to motion entirely, but getting a lot of those sequences done so pretty is worth it as an extra way to enjoy it,

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The anime was fine. I had issues with some of the choices (I think it killed some of the comedy of the original and some of the fights dragged) but I'll be watching season 2

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anime needed letterboxing imo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

People who say the anime does not match the tone of the manga do not actually understand what the tone of the manga was

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Anime was super good, not 1:1 but I don't expect any adaptation to be. I binged that thing in like 2 days.

Kinda like JJK I think the manga has some qualities that are hard to translate to motion entirely, but getting a lot of those sequences done so pretty is worth it as an extra way to enjoy it,

There are quite a few bits in the manga that kind of only work as a manga. I think it's why Junji Ito adaptations can be kind of underwhelming--what makes his stuff really good is how he weilds the medium.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

People who say the anime does not match the tone of the manga do not actually understand what the tone of the manga was

Yeah liberties were taken on other elements but the tone was adhered to slavishly. Aki's morning routine was perfect.

Enrique Meridian
Mar 29, 2010
I think my biggest gripe with the anime (and I use that pretty loosely, I really enjoyed it overall) using a more rigid/realistic art style than the manga is demonstrated in two scenes:

1. After Aki bribed Denji and Power with gum
2. After Aki wakes up in the hospital and Denji and Power are reading an issue of Shounen Jump or something.

In the manga, Power is very close to Denji in both of those scenes…kinda showing how close/comfortable they’ve gotten to each other since they first met. They’re more separate in the anime and I don’t think it conveys that new closeness nearly as well.

Other than that, anime owned imo. Excited to hopefully get more.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m in the “the anime captured the tone perfectly” camp, but I’m also fully aware that the people who dislike the anime’s tone will strongly disagree. Like there are absolutely moments of slapstick and hyperviolence that really stand-out. Power is a great example of this, she is totally silly and nuts and so I get why people want her to act like she’s in an over the top Trigger anime. But she has some really deep bits too when she’s bonding with meowy or pretty much everything in the back-end of part one.

I personally feel that it does capture the hyper-violent action when the action does happen, but the series understands that there is a lot of non-action stuff. Like I don’t think a more over the top adaptation would have been able to get Makima biting Denji’s finger captured so perfectly. I fundamentally don’t understand what the people who are dissatisfied really want. Without capturing the slow peaceful moments so well, I don’t think the crazy stuff would stand out. Maybe the actual action could be dialed up more to be more frenetic, but I truly cannot get behind the idea of cutting or de-prioritizing the slower paced portions. Like would these folks want to speed through Denji and Reze’s school date to get to the violence?

I’d like to clarify that I’m not saying the people dissatisfied with the direction of the series have bad opinions or are wrong, just that I think that the way people can interpret media is really flexible and sometimes you’re never going to be able to understand each other.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Enrique Meridian posted:

I think my biggest gripe with the anime (and I use that pretty loosely, I really enjoyed it overall) using a more rigid/realistic art style than the manga is demonstrated in two scenes:

1. After Aki bribed Denji and Power with gum
2. After Aki wakes up in the hospital and Denji and Power are reading an issue of Shounen Jump or something.

In the manga, Power is very close to Denji in both of those scenes…kinda showing how close/comfortable they’ve gotten to each other since they first met. They’re more separate in the anime and I don’t think it conveys that new closeness nearly as well.

Other than that, anime owned imo. Excited to hopefully get more.

Good eye

One of the pages that stuck out to me in the manga was when Yuko and Asa are sitting in lawn chairs. The paneling makes them look close but when they have an awkward moment the camera pulls back to make them feel far apart

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 3, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are things the anime gets wrong but the fact that they get 90% of it right is something to be very thankful of, I think

Coming from someone who watched anime in the 80’s and 90’s and was excited when we got more than 8 frames a second for scenes, half the scenes wouldn’t even bother with shading and the story would always differ drastically more

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the mangas better overall but theres some things in the anime i like better. the part where kishibe throws the knife into denjis head is notably different and for the better imo. it also has some great shots that arent in the manga such as kobeni sitting on the bloody sidewalk after the fight with katana and sawatiri. also its a complete joy whenever the chainsaws come out, they did a great job at making them feel weighty and vicious

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.tumblr.com/kabooples/708094816770228224/pretend-i-didnt-already-posted-this-on-tiktok lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A commenter on tiktok suggested Makima/Nayuta like their hair in a braid because it looks like a chain

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I loved all the slower bits. The best part of the anime was Aki's morning routine. But the other stuff suffered some from this approach. I don't know if you could do it better, and I certainly don't hate it. I just don't love it like I love the manga

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I legit don't buy any of the poo poo about blu-ray sales or "fan criticism". It comes off like 2ch/4chan console fandom type poo poo people are trying to meme into being real

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I avoided CSM for a really long time because I was expecting it to be like Kill La Kill. As lovely as Trigger animation is, I goddamn hated KLK.

I am extremely happy the anime focuses on Denji and Power's panic over the loss of their pets, and Himeno drunkenly stumbling through her apartment, and the sensuality of touching a lover's hand, and it goes without saying that the Aki morning routine is peak "I get this." It's all that stuff that separates CSM from hyper-violent, hyper-sexed schlock... which I can absolutely enjoy, but it doesn't move me.

The little scene of Denji and his WINNER! is the kinda of thing in the manga that make me go, "This isn't just fun, it's good."

Also Himeno's death I'm E8 was loving perfect, oh my god, the rattled breathing against silence as the shadow passes to reveal her empty clothes cut to blackAAAAAAAAAA!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I legit don't buy any of the poo poo about blu-ray sales or "fan criticism". It comes off like 2ch/4chan console fandom type poo poo people are trying to meme into being real

It totally seems to me like its just people manufacturing a "controversy" because they don't like the director. There's totally some stuff I can imagine leading to disappointing bluray sales but all the complaints regarding this poo poo is just stuff common to basically any anime adaption but now it's supposed to be damning critique.

Its impossible to care about but people love trying to make these things look like a way bigger deal than it actually is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/napcakes2/status/1621248186718224384?s=46&t=ydiJI4a5DTM_dJM8zYLi0g

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Mads died for our sins

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
when Kishibe shows up again it's going to be soo lit

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would Kishibe even show again? I got the impression he was just done at the end of part 1.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would Kishibe even show again? I got the impression he was just done at the end of part 1.

He's in charge of the devil hunters special division, he'll show back up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

He's in charge of the devil hunters special division, he'll show back up

I mean, he was, but he kind of arguably committed treason, so... that might render him in need of new job prospects.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, he was, but he kind of arguably committed treason, so... that might render him in need of new job prospects.

makima was a devil

edit: at the end of part 1 he says hes gonna be busy, because he has to fill out a lot of paperwork related to killing devils

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 4, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

makima was a devil

edit: at the end of part 1 he says hes gonna be busy, because he has to fill out a lot of paperwork related to killing devils

Makima was also contracted with the Prime Minister to advance Japan's interests. At bare minimum, he's guilty of destruction of government property.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think he's either in hiding for massive treason, or he's running the whole dang operation now because the prime minister realized the control devil was controlling him and thus Mads and Chainsaw Man are heroes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so, does that mean Yoshida is Bernie Sanders? Is Beam the spirit of communism?

I wonder what Kishibe is up to anyway, he just showed up gave Denji a kid and bounced.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, so, does that mean Yoshida is Bernie Sanders? Is Beam the spirit of communism?

I wonder what Kishibe is up to anyway, he just showed up gave Denji a kid and bounced.

3 out of 10 people are still being murdered by devils so presumably devil stuff

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

3 out of 10 people are still being murdered by devils so presumably devil stuff

3/10 in Japan. It sounds like it's a little less bad in most countries.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Getting drunk presumably

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Kishibe had a ton of resources at his disposal in his attempt to take out Makima, like a whole platoon of SWAT and a couple devil hunters who sacrificed themselves to contract with the Hell devil.

If that operation wasn't actually government sanctioned, then that means a significant faction went rogue- and ultimately won.

So either Kishibe just led an effective coup, or the gov't realized Makima was slipping her chain.

(also you could certainly argue that the American president dropped a WMD on Japan, which, hmm)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Kishibe had a ton of resources at his disposal in his attempt to take out Makima, like a whole platoon of SWAT and a couple devil hunters who sacrificed themselves to contract with the Hell devil.

If that operation wasn't actually government sanctioned, then that means a significant faction went rogue- and ultimately won.

So either Kishibe just led an effective coup, or the gov't realized Makima was slipping her chain.

(also you could certainly argue that the American president dropped a WMD on Japan, which, hmm)

I think coup is more likely, depending how you define things. He had a decent number of people, and some heavy weapons, but considering there are more than a thousand devil hunters in Tokyo alone, and that Kishibe had been conspiring with an agent of a foreign government to act against Makima when she was still a supposedly loyal asset, it seems like his anti-Makima squad was basically what he could subvert under Makima's nose, not a government backed force.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don’t see how he gets Nayuta out of China and gives her to Denji without a lot of people knowing. No way he’s on the run etc

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they're right