Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Toei has subbed the baton pass that the Crunchyroll version cut out of the Delicious Party finale:

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1621627967662362624?cxt=HHwWgMDUpe-Cl4EtAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've finished Healin Good now. It was, well, good! I'm glad Nodoka's parents found out about her being a Precure, because they definitely deserved to know, and I also appreciate the "Let's not let them know we know" part too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Our midseason Cure has been revealed:

Her name is Cure Majesty and based on the voice is likely Princess Elle:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sPQ7hiFWiV8

From the same toy we also have a clip of Wing and Butterfly’s voices:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vrPt1Fb7viQ

Also the pig general is apparently named Kabaton:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 4, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The OP and ED songs are out now as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yCnS4ezoddE

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LBqaywL5vx4

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

At least we don't have visuals like when the toys got hacked for Hugtto!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

At least we don't have visuals like when the toys got hacked for Hugtto!

Or Star Twinkle where we got a visual on Cure Cosmo before the series even started (or was that the case for Hugtto as well? I first got into this franchise around the middle of said show)

Also it’s nice to see that Bebop managed to find a new job after TMNT

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 4, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s the OP and ED:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PuJMfePEKr4

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t8UtEPaq2Og

Based on context clues I’m assuming Wing is the bird fairy and the female soldier Sora seems to admire is either Butterfly or some kind of mentor figure that will appear later (or she’s the one driving the car in that one shot)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 5, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can drive at age 18 in Japan so it seem most likely the hidden face in the car scene is Butterfly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

You can drive at age 18 in Japan so it seem most likely the hidden face in the car scene is Butterfly.

Yeah, now I’m thinking that Butterfly’s a normal human like Mishiro and the soldier was possibly Mishiro’s grandmother Yoyo (who makes multiple appearances in the OP)

The ending gives even more context clues showing various places representing each Cure (Skyland for Sora, what appears to be Mishiro’s school, a birdhouse for Wing, and Pretty Holic for Butterfly)

In other words, our first male Cure and second Orange Cure is also our first core team fairy Cure. Impressive

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out and we’re already off to a good start. Sora proves to be a better lead in one episode than Yui did in 45 (I liked that she tried to attack the villain before even gaining her powers), the kingdom and villain group are already more well defined than they were last season and the OP and ED are both absolute bangers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's funny how the gimmick almost seems like it's that there's less of a gimmick than usual. It's just a straight-up swashbuckling fantasy adventure featuring a couple of girls from two different worlds dumped in the middle of a war between two magical kingdoms. Just goes to show how well a story can work when you keep it simple and rely on rock-solid writing fundamentals.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's funny how the gimmick almost seems like it's that there's less of a gimmick than usual. It's just a straight-up swashbuckling fantasy adventure featuring a couple of girls from two different worlds dumped in the middle of a war between two magical kingdoms. Just goes to show how well a story can work when you keep it simple and rely on rock-solid writing fundamentals.

I read somewhere that Toei wanted to "expand" the target audience for Precure regardless of gender and age. This is probably why we have a more universally appealing plot complete with a shounen-esque protagonist, a male precure, and mature-sounding theme song. The staff is also much more experienced his season

The title card was very reminiscent of the Futari Wa shows and the traditional headbutt was subverted thanks to a last minute save by Elle.

I could have done without the fart but I give them props for creating a villain character that’s just 100% unlikable in every aspect

Also the stage in the ED has past Precure logos on it so I’m curious if we’re going to get any crossovers this season

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well I'm on board. I think in one episode, hell I think in seven minutes Sora did a better job selling me than half the cast of both Healing Good and Delicious Party. The fight scene was also interesting, the animation for it was really fluid with the way the character models shifted around with the momentum of the fight. It reminded me a little bit of the stuff you'd see in late period Gainax/Trigger.

In terms of callbacks I believe Sora did the precure jump (you know the one) when she started her parkour routine to catch up with bebop. Also Pretty Holic is just a thing now, I remember it showing up in the portion of Delicious Party I watched.

Larryb posted:

In other words, our first male Cure and second Orange Cure is also our first core team fairy Cure. Impressive

I thought that would be Cure Felice, no?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Felice was mid-season it just doesn't feel that way cause Maho Girls has such a small cast.

Shiny Luminous probably counts as the first though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Felice was mid-season it just doesn't feel that way cause Maho Girls has such a small cast.

Shiny Luminous probably counts as the first though

Hikari isn’t a fairy in the strictest sense, just a piece of the Queen of Light. If we want to count stuff like that though I guess Milky Rose would be the first (though personally I count them both as extra Cures)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel like Kabaton is a short lived starter villain. The intro supports my guess a bit, as he's shown alongside three Ranborgs, including the one he summoned, so he might only be around for 3 episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like Kabaton is a short lived starter villain. The intro supports my guess a bit, as he's shown alongside three Ranborgs, including the one he summoned, so he might only be around for 3 episodes.

Yeah, I don’t see NotBebop lasting very long either. At the very least I’m hoping we go back to a revolving door of villains though as opposed to one general at a time like last season

Also based on the preview Mashiro seems to know what a Precure is (and the OP seems to indicate that Wing and Butterfly will be their own separate duo)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 5, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do think it's interesting that Mashiro's intro feels like it'd be the typical intro for the lead of most Precure shows. Someone coming from another world, running away and than standing up to them. If she transformed right than and there she'd be the lead!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Upon closer inspection it seems likely we caught a glimpse of Butterfly’s civilian form during the first episode (apart from the scene in the OP where she appears to be the one driving the car):

Butterfly is also shown dancing in front of the Pretty Holic store during the ED (which implies she works for or is otherwise connected with the company) and wears makeup in her Cure form. Also the lipstick she’s using in the commercial has a butterfly on it

By the same logic, Wing is probably the orange bird we meet next episode (they have the same hair and bowtie, Wing’s Cure outfit is very bird like, and in the ED he’s shown dancing in front of a birdhouse

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 5, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoyed Hirogaru episode 1. Both Sora and Mashiro coming to the conclusion they are dreaming simultaniously was quite amusing.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Hellioning posted:

I enjoyed Hirogaru episode 1. Both Sora and Mashiro coming to the conclusion they are dreaming simultaniously was quite amusing.

that scene was great

i really liked soras non-cure outfit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cure Butterfly’s identity has been revealed:

Her name is Ageha Hijiri and she’s apparently a childhood friend of Mashiro’s

Judging by her looks I’m assuming she’s the girl from the lipstick commercial we saw in the first episode like a lot of people theorized

That said, what does Precure have against brunettes? Not a single one of them has retained their natural hair color when transformed (Kirara was probably the closest as she went from brown to orange)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 6, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ichigo confirmed to be final boss

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So based on the jacket Ageha is definitely the one driving the Hummer in the OP (I can see her being like the group mom/big sister)

She’s got questionable taste in vehicles though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 6, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally watched the first episode and it was pretty great. I think my only complaint (and it's not even that big of one) is that it doesn't look like there's going to be grunts in this one. I think the series with grunts are always more fun. I'm sure this will be fine without them but I still wish there were.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Finally watched the first episode and it was pretty great. I think my only complaint (and it's not even that big of one) is that it doesn't look like there's going to be grunts in this one. I think the series with grunts are always more fun. I'm sure this will be fine without them but I still wish there were.

Technically only three seasons ever had actual grunts (HeartCatch, Happiness Charge, and Star Twinkle) but I get what you mean.

Then again the OP does show the Precure beating up a bunch of shadowy guys so who knows

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 7, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

We only saw a solo infiltration and kidnapping. Odds are we'll see grunts once they face off against the Earth Kingdom's actual army.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plus, the baddies this time are called the Undergu Empire, meaning they’re bound to have more forces at their disposal than just Wario the Pig

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also curious about the female soldier shown in the OP (it seems like she was the inspiration for Sora wanting to be a hero in the first place). I’m assuming that Elle is our midseason Cure based on the voice we heard from the toy but the soldier turning out to be the Big Bad (or something close to it ala Mirage) would be bitterly ironic at least.

On another note, I wonder how much Sora is going to subscribe to the whole “secret identity” aspect of being a Precure given her personality

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 7, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

All of Precure’s music is now legally available worldwide:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/02/07-1/over-790-precure-songs-now-available-on-major-music-subscription-services-worldwide

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They were on Spotify for me for awhile but good they're in more places. Toei slowly learning (please don't look at Rider)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They were on Spotify for me for awhile but good they're in more places. Toei slowly learning (please don't look at Rider)

Now if only Crunchyroll would license more old seasons for streaming (or if Toei would let them as the case may be). Official DVD releases would be nice too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:nice:

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Oh hey they have the Futari Wa inserts now, don't think those were on there before

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hirogaru Sky 02: This mostly serves to show how much of a fish out of of water Sora is as well as introduce a bit of her backstory along with Mashiro’s grandmother Yoyo (who appears to be a fellow Skylander herself).

As I expected, Sora doesn’t seem to care much about the whole “secret identity” aspect of being a Precure and the orange bird appears to be Yoyo’s pet (which makes me even curiouser how Wing is going to work).

Starting next week past Precure will apparently begin making cameos during the ED (though time will tell if any old friends also show up later in the series proper).

Interesting thing I noticed though, when watching Sora through the mirror Yoyo calls the baby “Princess Elle” but then corrects herself and says that she’s “Elle-chan now”. Perhaps Elle and the woman who saved Sora are one and the same and the latter got reincarnated as the former

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

100% Grandma is the one Saved Sora in the cave

Anyway Sora continues to be great including wanting to be a Knight for Masahiro. Liking the chemistry everyone has so far!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

100% Grandma is the one Saved Sora in the cave

Anyway Sora continues to be great including wanting to be a Knight for Masahiro. Liking the chemistry everyone has so far!

Nah, the woman in the cave (who also appears in the OP) looks too young to be Granny in her prime (but you never know I guess, they do have the same ponytail at any rate)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 12, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Anyway read the translated text too

https://twitter.com/noq1134/status/1624609155863699457?s=20

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sora and Mashiro should kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm currently weighing the odds we have a time travel/parallel universe counterpart situation going on. It's a long-shot, sure, but there's a nonzero chance that it's eventually going to be revealed that a future/parallel version of Sora is the person who saved protagonist Sora in the past. If we're in some kind of time travel/time loop/time spiral that might also explain why Granny had prepared in advance to accommodate Sora and Elle.

Putting that aside, Sora says has a little brother. I wonder when he'll show up.

I wonder if the forest of thorns was meant to evoke the forest Dyspear grew out of back in Gopri.