Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
im glad the objectively correct media enjoyers are here to set the record straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the anime tone wasn't much different. maybe it was a bit more uhhh idk serious? subdued? but i think that works in its favor wrt the director's vision to make it more movie-like than anime

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1621566188416294912?t=H2yJSoJ3Kt5ykrtskxdqUg&s=19

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i am totally not mad i've just finished nabbing all of the first 11 volumes

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

symbolic posted:

:rip:

I might get it for the poster if its good and give the extra vols away as gifts. if you think about it I'm really just getting xmas shopping done early, so it's totally not frivolous

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

symbolic posted:

Think of collected volumes as the PlayStation Hits version

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Hell yeah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How much cheaper are collected volumes, usually?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't usually buy physical releases, what are the odds that eventually there will eventually be a hardcover release of the volumes?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mazerunner posted:

Kishibe had a ton of resources at his disposal in his attempt to take out Makima, like a whole platoon of SWAT and a couple devil hunters who sacrificed themselves to contract with the Hell devil.

If that operation wasn't actually government sanctioned, then that means a significant faction went rogue- and ultimately won.

So either Kishibe just led an effective coup, or the gov't realized Makima was slipping her chain.

(also you could certainly argue that the American president dropped a WMD on Japan, which, hmm)

I feel like Makima drawing in/subduing the Gun Devil for Japan and then immediately destroying it to crank up the angst factor on her pet himbo might have soured her position.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Archenteron posted:

I feel like Makima drawing in/subduing the Gun Devil for Japan and then immediately destroying it to crank up the angst factor on her pet himbo might have soured her position.

Prime Minister: wait. Let her cook.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It was always unclear to me whether the giant Gun Devil monster Makima fought was the whole devil or just the 30% America had. Cause it seems weird that you could contract the entire gun devil with just a handful of shell casings. Otherwise it wouldn’t matter which country had which amount.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Makima is dead. Her fiends are dead. You have no one left to fight for.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

galagazombie posted:

It was always unclear to me whether the giant Gun Devil monster Makima fought was the whole devil or just the 30% America had. Cause it seems weird that you could contract the entire gun devil with just a handful of shell casings. Otherwise it wouldn’t matter which country had which amount.

I sorta assumed that was a lie, the percentages and where they were, but maybe it's just that America had the bit that had a head.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Maybe there was like a breaking point where there's enough of the Devil's body that if you awaken their consciousness with a contract they'll be capable enough to zoop around the world and reclaim the others pieces. Plus some Mutually Assured Destruction to keep it boxed with the concept that the Gun Devil is so powerful you're unlikely to create a long-lasting contract with it, and it'll probably destroy you and everyone else after the first target you gave it is down.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does the manga explicitly state that the Devil that appeared above gun Devil is punishment Devil? It seems to be accepted by fandom but I couldn’t find a primary source

I buy it though, it makes me laugh that people are at least as scared of punishment as they are of guns

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
A punishment could be anything, if could even be a gun.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Gunishment Devil

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Does the manga explicitly state that the Devil that appeared above gun Devil is punishment Devil? It seems to be accepted by fandom but I couldn’t find a primary source

I buy it though, it makes me laugh that people are at least as scared of punishment as they are of guns

It's mentioned on the page before

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Going by its appearance, I assume that the Punishment Devil is on a scale perhaps similar to the Darkness Devil in being a very primal fear. The Gun Devil probably really shook things up in Hell by becoming such an overwhelming fear in only a couple centuries.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I always interpreted it as an amalgamation of the contracts. The thing that appears is kind of a little bit of all of those things

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I always interpreted it as an amalgamation of the contracts. The thing that appears is kind of a little bit of all of those things

Snake punishment by spider angels from the future

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I figured the pieces they had were of an older, dead gun devil and Murika contracted with a different, newer, resurrected gun devil. Since devils just resurrect over and over.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cephas posted:

Going by its appearance, I assume that the Punishment Devil is on a scale perhaps similar to the Darkness Devil in being a very primal fear. The Gun Devil probably really shook things up in Hell by becoming such an overwhelming fear in only a couple centuries.

I mean, Gun would have been around since 1250 at the latest, so he had some time to get established. If you've been to the Met, you could have seen some medieval armor with holsters set up for ride by shooting. Heck, the origin of the phrase "Bullet proof" came from knightly armor, according to the museum descriptions there. The armorer took a shot at it with a gun at close range, and then the dent in the armor served as proof that a bullet wouldn't get through.

Chainsaw is the real upstart, since he's only be around since 1783 at the earliest, and 1883 if you only count the tree cutting kind. And yet, in that little time, even the Primals are scared of him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Gun would have been around since 1250 at the latest, so he had some time to get established. If you've been to the Met, you could have seen some medieval armor with holsters set up for ride by shooting. Heck, the origin of the phrase "Bullet proof" came from knightly armor, according to the museum descriptions there. The armorer took a shot at it with a gun at close range, and then the dent in the armor served as proof that a bullet wouldn't get through.

Chainsaw is the real upstart, since he's only be around since 1783 at the earliest, and 1883 if you only count the tree cutting kind. And yet, in that little time, even the Primals are scared of him.

Pochita dropped off the script for Chainsaw Massacre and slipped the director a 20.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Tinfoil hat theory: Fake chainsaw man is the real chainsaw devil and pochita was something much worse.

Tinfoil hat theory I’ve seen going around that I don’t think works but was so batshit I have to repeat it: Asa is the war devil and Yoru is just her Tyler Durden of her wish to live “more selfishly”. She was found and raised by her mom as a baby similar to how Denji is raising Nayuta or Makima may have been raised by the government. It’s why despite not being a hybrid she can use War powers even when Yoru isn’t there. And Fami called her, not Yoru sister.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

Tinfoil hat theory: Fake chainsaw man is the real chainsaw devil and pochita was something much worse.

Tinfoil hat theory I’ve seen going around that I don’t think works but was so batshit I have to repeat it: Asa is the war devil and Yoru is just her Tyler Durden of her wish to live “more selfishly”. She was found and raised by her mom as a baby similar to how Denji is raising Nayuta or Makima may have been raised by the government. It’s why despite not being a hybrid she can use War powers even when Yoru isn’t there. And Fami called her, not Yoru sister.

Anything’s possible in Fujimoto Land

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Tinfoil hat on tinfoil hat theory nayuta is taking over Denji and making him do bad things when he sleeps

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's still wild to me that one dude wasn't fake chainsaw man, but just some fan that got a starter implanted on his chest like what the hell man

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1622625759490891776?s=20

Sept 26.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I prefer my manga to be digital as it's easier to store and take with me. Already bought all of part 1 and enjoy every re-read.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I wonder how many devils had their pelvis's savaged when chainsaws were just for assisting in child birth. Tbf that is an absolutely horrific thought if you are an expecting mother to face, so pretty good fear.

Question on Aki. When he is tied up to Makima for his antemortem contract how did he die? One minute alive then he was dead and tied to Makima. Did she kill him and tie him up? Or did the gun devil kill him in the initial barrage and then Aki immediately got joined with Makima?

I always took the death toll with Aki at the end of it meaning he died fighting the gun devil with Makima, but now I realize he could have just been one of the initial victims.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I always figured it was the latter, that after his big determined build-up to revenge against the Gun Devil, he dies pointlessly in 0.1 seconds along with 1,000 other schmucks. And then goes on to his second and final death trying to kill his friend while retreating into the only other thing that meant anything to him, the childhood that was taken from him.

Both, in their own way, the "worst possible death" for him, and he gets to experience them both. The Future Devil, pervert voyeur that he is, is over the moon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still wild to me that one dude wasn't fake chainsaw man, but just some fan that got a starter implanted on his chest like what the hell man

I'm really glad I caught up when I did because I saw that dude, figured he was a schmuck, and then a few hours later I read how much of a schmuck he is lol.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Donkringel posted:

I wonder how many devils had their pelvis's savaged when chainsaws were just for assisting in child birth. Tbf that is an absolutely horrific thought if you are an expecting mother to face, so pretty good fear.

Question on Aki. When he is tied up to Makima for his antemortem contract how did he die? One minute alive then he was dead and tied to Makima. Did she kill him and tie him up? Or did the gun devil kill him in the initial barrage and then Aki immediately got joined with Makima?

I always took the death toll with Aki at the end of it meaning he died fighting the gun devil with Makima, but now I realize he could have just been one of the initial victims.

Yep, Aki was in the list.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Donkringel posted:

I pictured it as Makima pointing towards the horizon on the beach and suddenly a bullet whizzes through Aki's head before he realizes what's happening. Then Makima takes control of his corpse (and Angel) without missing a beat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yum posted:

I pictured it as Makima pointing towards the horizon on the beach and suddenly a bullet whizzes through Aki's head before he realizes what's happening. Then Makima takes control of his corpse (and Angel) without missing a beat

He seems to have died about the same time as Makima, looking at the chapter. 3:18:26.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Woke up this morning excited to read the new chapter to realise it’s only been one week not two

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Woke up this morning excited to read the new chapter to realise it’s only been one week not two

probably how Asa and Yoru are feeling, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

chiasaur11 posted:

He seems to have died about the same time as Makima, looking at the chapter. 3:18:26.

:doh: Somehow forgot she got blasted too. It's time for a reread anyways