Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

It's $400? drat. I guess it wasn't out very long.

Speaking of very long, hasn't the Disney Castle been out almost 7 years now? Is that a record?

I had to check, the UCS Millennium Falcon was released in 2017, so I guess that is only going on 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://brickset.com/article/46661/which-sets-have-been-available-for-the-shortest-period-of-time

Article is about 2 years old now but there aren't many that would crack the list anyway.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Rad Valtar posted:

I have no experience with bootlegs because I always just assumed the quality was way worse. I'm not a purist or anything so if it's not as bad as I imagined I would be interested.
In my experience the quality difference is noticeable, but not a big detriment.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of very long, hasn't the Disney Castle been out almost 7 years now? Is that a record?

Well, it retired at the end of 2022, so it ain't out any more! :v:

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 5, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

https://brickset.com/article/46661/which-sets-have-been-available-for-the-shortest-period-of-time

Article is about 2 years old now but there aren't many that would crack the list anyway.

Maybe they weren’t counting them for that article but there’s a fair amount of GWP items that came and went in one day.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Veotax posted:

Well, it retired at the end of 2022, so it out any more! :v:

Wait, what? They retired it?

Wow. What am I going to invest in for my retirement now?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The A frame is as good as you would think from looking at it.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

The A frame is as good as you would think from looking at it.

just so im not emptyquoting i finished the structure and have the outdoorsy chunks left on it and i love it so far

it really is a big ol minifig accessory pack in the best way

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Waltzing Along posted:

No. The Volkswagen T1 camper was available for nine years. (E: never mind, that's in the article you linked)

And it might not be the kind of set you're thinking of, but the 9V supplemental track packs (4515 straight, 4520 curved) were produced for 16 years from 1991 to 2007, with a few packaging changes and changing greys during that time.

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 6, 2023

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Interesting knockoff Lily of the Valley botanical I saw on Temu:
https://www.temu.com/creative-convallaria-majalis-flower-building-block-kit-toys-g-6017592186062254.html

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

as far as knockoff stuff goes, I got this guy recently

seems like this was/is a bricklink MOC that got scooped up by some third party company. parts are honestly really nice, barring one weird extra half part that looks like it didn't make it out of the mold properly. but that was unused and i guess that's why they include extras.

some cool building techniques, but one very common issue i've seen with both MOCs and knockoff builds is that they do not have the foundational structure that Lego includes. at least during the build itself. once completed, the thing is pretty solid outside of the microbuildings and maybe like a piece or two on the acropolis face. but during the build there were lots of opportunities to make sure that bricks would support each other to ensure rigidity and make it so that accidental pressure in the wrong place would not collapse that stack.

the best comparison i can make is to actual brick laying. instead of doing

XXX
XXX
XXX

you'd do

XXX
XXXX
XXX

again, towards the end of the build, the bricks finally support each other and you get that true rigidity so that a completed build is pretty sturdy. but it makes the building process more of a pain in the rear end than it needs to be. i keep seeing steps that were begging for like a 1x4 plate to connect two 1x2 slopes, and instead i got two 1x2 plates that continued to stack up.

the other issue is that the bags are not numbered, and the build dips from almost all bags all at once. this is 100% a build that needs the builder to sort the parts first before attacking it.

those issues aside, its a really beautiful build. really worthy of an actual Lego architecture set, but like 50 bucks less than what they'd charge and its available now instead of some hypothetical future. doing the acropolis, a port of athens and the parthenon is really inspired and way better than doing just the parthenon itself. similar to the lead in for the Lego pyramid that includes some smaller pyramids, housing, the river nile, etc. the level of detail just makes the whole build pop a bunch more and also helps turn the build into something really varied and interesting instead of super repetitive (like, say, the Lego colosseum)

I also did the FUNWHOLE (real name, not made up) Lighthouse and while I don't hate it, the issues with that build were a lot more glaring. brick quality was worse, the lighting and cables do not fit well and are not hidden and make me never want to gently caress with lighting systems in a Lego set ever again. the set as a whole isn't ugly but it's not super attractive either. it is kinda neat when its lit up, but the thing needs 3 AA batteries so gently caress that. i don't hate the thing straight up, its kinda cool - but it just makes me want to see Lego do their own Lighthouse of Alexandria

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kinda blown away that the Welcome to Apocalypseburg Harley Quinn sells for $200+

Not sure why this happened. I sold my copy before it accelerated in price. It was an okay build but just an ugly set. Now it is selling for 2x retail used. Mainly because of that 1 figure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not sure what would be going on with that specific figure, but I'm not surprised that set is 2x retail now. Tbh in the decade I've been collecting these things I have become sort of laser tuned into which sets are going to skyrocket in price and am frequently kicking myself for not having that reseller mindset at all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rad Valtar posted:

I missed out on the Lego Voltron set when it released. Am I pretty much stuck paying $400 for it or is there some secret internet lego black market?
loving hell, for real? It was at my local Walmart for 170 recently, I didn't know it was going for so much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Really? The Voltron set retired back in Dec 2019. If it’s im your Walmart for retail, go grab it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Borsche69 posted:

one very common issue i've seen with both MOCs and knockoff builds is that they do not have the foundational structure that Lego includes. at least during the build itself. once completed, the thing is pretty solid outside of the microbuildings and maybe like a piece or two on the acropolis face. but during the build there were lots of opportunities to make sure that bricks would support each other to ensure rigidity and make it so that accidental pressure in the wrong place would not collapse that stack.

XXX
XXX
XXX

you'd do

XXX
XXXX
XXX

again, towards the end of the build, the bricks finally support each other and you get that true rigidity so that a completed build is pretty sturdy. but it makes the building process more of a pain in the rear end than it needs to be. i keep seeing steps that were begging for like a 1x4 plate to connect two 1x2 slopes, and instead i got two 1x2 plates that continued to stack up.
I don't know if there's a more LEGO-specific term for this, but I've always referred to this as "interlapping." IMO, interlapping and another thing I call "indexing," are two basic techniques LEGO uses that MOC designers and third party companies really, really overlook.

Interlapping: interconnecting and overlapping (hence the name) pieces atop one another when stacking them.
Indexing: building the alignment or reference point for a movable assembly so that the user does not have to figure out how to line it up or set the angle themselves, usually by building a "stop" at one or both ends of an assembly's length of travel.

The 2 x 4 bricks are an example of interlapping. The flag's angle is indexed by placing a clip tile in the middle. The hinge brick's angle is indexed both by the cheese slope underneath it and the 1 x 2 x 2 panel behind the assembly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's called a stretcher bond or (sometimes) a running bond if you do it with masonry.

There are variants where the bricks are offset by a third or a quarter instead, which leads to a further choice about whether each layer should continue the stagger or should alternate.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
its crazy the extent to which structural basics are learned at an extremely young age if kids spend any time at all free building with lego

i called that stair stepping as a tyke and it was one of the first things i figured out

i wasnt a duplo kid but the looser grip between those bricks makes building stuff even more impossible if you dont get your stair step on

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The_Doctor posted:

Really? The Voltron set retired back in Dec 2019. If it’s im your Walmart for retail, go grab it.

and then sell it to me.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Another dumb question about using Studio to actually build a MOC. What is the best/easiest/only way to make instructions? Because let's pretend I made a thing and ordered all the bricks and when they get here and I look at the model on Studio, well there has to be a better way than what I think I have to do. Which is pretty much wing it the best I can, moving bricks out of the way and such. Again, I really appreciate all of the help you guys give here. I can't wait to share some pictures as this thing comes together.

Prayers are welcome too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flyinglemur posted:

Another dumb question about using Studio to actually build a MOC. What is the best/easiest/only way to make instructions? Because let's pretend I made a thing and ordered all the bricks and when they get here and I look at the model on Studio, well there has to be a better way than what I think I have to do. Which is pretty much wing it the best I can, moving bricks out of the way and such. Again, I really appreciate all of the help you guys give here. I can't wait to share some pictures as this thing comes together.

Prayers are welcome too.
Steps are built in, on the right side of the screen (maybe a window you have to open?) Where it shows the parts list as you build you can add steps and move bricks to and from each step

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

Steps are built in, on the right side of the screen (maybe a window you have to open?) Where it shows the parts list as you build you can add steps and move bricks to and from each step

I will check that out, thank you

fake edit: I just looked and all of the pieces are listed under STEP 1 and they aren't in order lol. Probably because I was all over the place actually trying to put it together.

To be fair though, I have nothing but free time during the day so I will just take my time and figure it out. How hard could it be, with 875 pieces and about 800 of them black slopes?

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 6, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't know if there's a more LEGO-specific term for this, but I've always referred to this as "interlapping." IMO, interlapping and another thing I call "indexing," are two basic techniques LEGO uses that MOC designers and third party companies really, really overlook.

Interlapping: interconnecting and overlapping (hence the name) pieces atop one another when stacking them.
Indexing: building the alignment or reference point for a movable assembly so that the user does not have to figure out how to line it up or set the angle themselves, usually by building a "stop" at one or both ends of an assembly's length of travel.

The 2 x 4 bricks are an example of interlapping. The flag's angle is indexed by placing a clip tile in the middle. The hinge brick's angle is indexed both by the cheese slope underneath it and the 1 x 2 x 2 panel behind the assembly.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's called a stretcher bond or (sometimes) a running bond if you do it with masonry.

There are variants where the bricks are offset by a third or a quarter instead, which leads to a further choice about whether each layer should continue the stagger or should alternate.

Oh neat, I knew there had to be a better term for it. Ty. Really does give me another level of appreciation for Lego's building techniques that they can creatively apply stability throughout the whole build instead of just at the end. although with that said, I've been working on the Starry Night set and I'm a little surprised they put off connecting these back plates until you finish the whole thing and attach it to the base

I didn't really have an issue with the thing collapsing in half and exploding into a mess of 1x4s, but also I had to be a little careful when attaching the thing to the base, since a little pressure in the wrong place was producing a lot of bend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I didn't really have an issue with the thing collapsing in half and exploding into a mess of 1x4s, but also I had to be a little careful when attaching the thing to the base, since a little pressure in the wrong place was producing a lot of bend.

I put a gash in my thumb assembling that wall, there's a spot on the right side where you have to stack 5 1x4 plates without any overlap and I pressed a new piece onto it at a bad angle and it buckled.

(in the image it's on the left side, next to that black square)

That said I really enjoyed building that wall. It's not the most ground breaking technique ever but it looks really cool and I was kind of bummed to cover most of it up with dishes and swirls.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, the Vespa has a sticker on a round 4x4 tile. I thought those were generally printed because they are hard to line up correctly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, this was about a month ago maybe, in the clearance section, so it probably is gone by now. I googled at the time and saw the MSRP was 179, so figured "eh, not a good deal" and moved on. I live in in a small town, and that Walmart seems to generate good Lego clearance deals (I'm the guy who saw like 7 Galaxy Explorers for 36 bucks each).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

I put a gash in my thumb assembling that wall, there's a spot on the right side where you have to stack 5 1x4 plates without any overlap and I pressed a new piece onto it at a bad angle and it buckled.

(in the image it's on the left side, next to that black square)

That said I really enjoyed building that wall. It's not the most ground breaking technique ever but it looks really cool and I was kind of bummed to cover most of it up with dishes and swirls.

yeah the lightest blue bricks do a great job of popping out as clouds, or the light source you'd get on the horizon in the early morning

the wall is repetitive but in a relaxing way since you're constantly swapping colors - aided a ton by the fact that the different colors are already separated in different bags. although a good light source definitely helps. but basically everything else about the build utilizes some creative techniques so some repetitiveness for the wall (and I guess the frame) is more than forgivable.

once I finish the thing off I think I'm gonna jump on bricklink and get some poo poo so I can alter the frame and add some matting - the thing is kinda begging for a bit of a larger footprint and a white mat so that the painting itself sticks out some more

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

smackfu posted:

Huh, the Vespa has a sticker on a round 4x4 tile. I thought those were generally printed because they are hard to line up correctly.
i've definitely done round stickers on some Friends sets and experienced regret when realizing it was all goofed up but the instructions had clearly told us to attach it to the set in its proper alignment before putting the sticker on

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flyinglemur posted:

I will check that out, thank you

fake edit: I just looked and all of the pieces are listed under STEP 1 and they aren't in order lol. Probably because I was all over the place actually trying to put it together.

To be fair though, I have nothing but free time during the day so I will just take my time and figure it out. How hard could it be, with 875 pieces and about 800 of them black slopes?

Yup! They're in the order you added them to the model and because you didn't have any steps they all got added to the only step that was there: Step one.
So you can add a step, and move all the bricks to it and keep doing this until you have your steps.
Or while you build it make your steps

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, this was about a month ago maybe, in the clearance section, so it probably is gone by now. I googled at the time and saw the MSRP was 179, so figured "eh, not a good deal" and moved on. I live in in a small town, and that Walmart seems to generate good Lego clearance deals (I'm the guy who saw like 7 Galaxy Explorers for 36 bucks each).

Are you sure you didn’t see Optimus Prime? That also retails for $179.99 but makes a lot more sense to still be in a store.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

Yup! They're in the order you added them to the model and because you didn't have any steps they all got added to the only step that was there: Step one.
So you can add a step, and move all the bricks to it and keep doing this until you have your steps.
Or while you build it make your steps

Oh.

poo poo.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Rivendall announcement incoming:
https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1622611342132740096

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

:worship:

perfect teaser, no notes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sanctum Sanctorum kicks rear end. Much much better than the Jazz Club. If you look at these last two Marvel sets as off shoots of the modular line, like the NC sets, then it is top tier. Or close to it. Hm...would be interesting to rank all 22 sets. It's definitely top 10. Better than the Daily Bugle but not as good as NC. I'd rank it somewhere between 5 and 7 I think. I can immediately say Detective's Office, Brick Bank, NC and Diner are better. Oh and boutique hotel. After that it gets tricky.

Anyway, Sanctum is a great set. Highly recommended. Especially if you can get it for $170 from bricksdirect last year rather than the inflated price LEGO is charging now.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
What was the story with that Monuments of the World set, was that just a GWP that I missed already?

In any case after I pick up the A-Frame at some point this week I'll be saving my pennies to get NC Markets the day when it comes out. :homebrew:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You have to buy it with like $200 of VIP points. And then add it on to another order. It's a stupid system. They should just let you buy it outright with cash or make it a GWP.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Part of me hopes the Rivendell and the rumored Barad-Dur sets suck so I don't have to buy them. I'd have to redecorate part of my apartment to fit them both.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

You have to buy it with like $200 of VIP points. And then add it on to another order. It's a stupid system. They should just let you buy it outright with cash or make it a GWP.

I'd be a lot more annoyed with it if it didn't look like crap. Doesn't help that I already have the Great Wall, Taj Mahal, and just finished that knockoff Acropolis set.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

RatHat posted:

Are you sure you didn’t see Optimus Prime? That also retails for $179.99 but makes a lot more sense to still be in a store.
Oh God, I'm an idiot, yes, it was probably Optimus Prime. Sorry, everyone ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Borsche69 posted:

as far as knockoff stuff goes, I got this guy recently

seems like this was/is a bricklink MOC that got scooped up by some third party company. parts are honestly really nice, barring one weird extra half part that looks like it didn't make it out of the mold properly. but that was unused and i guess that's why they include extras.

some cool building techniques, but one very common issue i've seen with both MOCs and knockoff builds is that they do not have the foundational structure that Lego includes. at least during the build itself. once completed, the thing is pretty solid outside of the microbuildings and maybe like a piece or two on the acropolis face. but during the build there were lots of opportunities to make sure that bricks would support each other to ensure rigidity and make it so that accidental pressure in the wrong place would not collapse that stack.

XXX
XXX
XXX

you'd do

XXX
XXXX
XXX

the other issue is that the bags are not numbered, and the build dips from almost all bags all at once. this is 100% a build that needs the builder to sort the parts first before attacking it.

those issues aside, its a really beautiful build. really worthy of an actual Lego architecture set, but like 50 bucks less than what they'd charge and its available now instead of some hypothetical future. doing the acropolis, a port of athens and the parthenon is really inspired and way better than doing just the parthenon itself. similar to the lead in for the Lego pyramid that includes some smaller pyramids, housing, the river nile, etc. the level of detail just makes the whole build pop a bunch more and also helps turn the build into something really varied and interesting instead of super repetitive (like, say, the Lego colosseum)

I also did the FUNWHOLE (real name, not made up) Lighthouse and while I don't hate it, the issues with that build were a lot more glaring. brick quality was worse, the lighting and cables do not fit well and are not hidden and make me never want to gently caress with lighting systems in a Lego set ever again. the set as a whole isn't ugly but it's not super attractive either. it is kinda neat when its lit up, but the thing needs 3 AA batteries so gently caress that. i don't hate the thing straight up, its kinda cool - but it just makes me want to see Lego do their own Lighthouse of Alexandria

Lego thread: my FUNWHOLE is not super attractive and needs 3 AA batteries.