Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If nothing else I respect how transparent My Hero Academia was with its filler, just straight up “this is an anime-original episode, we worked pretty hard on it though so please enjoy”.

Also, OP had a bunch of largely mediocre filler in Lougetown itself, though one of those was the flashback to Gold Roger’s execution which was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gyges posted:

It's kind of interesting to look at how the Big 3 each settled on a different strategy to avoid catching up to the manga.

One Piece: gently caress it, every episode has filler tossed in now.

Bleach: gently caress it, just have Ichigo break the 4th Wall and tell the audience that this week we're doing a What If... the gang played soccer or now there's vampires or some poo poo. Then we'll just come back to the cannon we dropped mid arc.

Naruto: gently caress it, we're doing the 3 year time skip live with filler. What are you going to do, not watch for 3 years? Look, he's making ramen with a rasengan, and you're all still watching.

Out of those I think the Naruto approach was the best for the time skip at least. I mean that's kind of a gimme, but being able to come up with whatever stuff you want to fill out the story, and mixing in the occasional thing that actually made lots of sense for the arcs of your characters or depicted something that was referenced in the manga but not shown, and having all that stuff not mess with the timeline of the original manga is a pretty sweet setup.

One Piece's approach isn't too bad either since the manga's kept on going forever so it makes sense to pad stuff out any way you can to help avoid catching where the manga's at.

On the other hand, stuff like Demon Slayer really shows off how an anime can benefit both commercially and creatively if you just wait for all or most of a manga to wrap up before you start adapting it. I haven't really caught the My Hero Academia anime, but I think that's struck a nice balance for a Shonen anime by not putting out episodes week after week and just doing a sensible amount of high quality episodes that stick to the story of the manga. I guess it's still had filler in the mix too, but I'm sure it's not the wild 100+ filler episodes that each of the big 3 put out there.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

NowonSA posted:

I haven't really caught the My Hero Academia anime, but I think that's struck a nice balance for a Shonen anime by not putting out episodes week after week and just doing a sensible amount of high quality episodes that stick to the story of the manga. I guess it's still had filler in the mix too, but I'm sure it's not the wild 100+ filler episodes that each of the big 3 put out there.

Since you're saying you didn't watch it, I'd like to state how there's still ways for a shonen adaptation to engender frustration even without filler - adapting bad source material without changing anything, runtime stalling, removing characterization, rushing through good material, and just plain old lazy animation. MHA's fifth season had a lot of those methods on display mostly thanks to a manpower shortage throughout its release, plus it also swapped the placement of two arcs for no reason besides presumably ratings.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 5, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It’s adorable that y’all think this is going to last more than 1 season

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No yeah, we're maybe getting a second season covering Alabasta if we're lucky, but even in the best of circumstances, the ravages of time would gently caress up a full live action adaptation.

E: Also for comparison, the East Blue Saga in the anime including Loguetown and excluding the short filler arc, was about 46 20 minute episodes.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh this series is absolutely doomed from the start but hopefully the first season is decent at least

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

When they actually show us footage and how the show will handle the many, many issues present in live action anime, then we can quickly figure out how long it'll last.

I'm not holding my breath.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have stretchy limbs in live action EVER looked good?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
it's more or less been said already, but if this was being directed by stephen chow i'd have basically no worries about everything looking ridiculous

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

No yeah, we're maybe getting a second season covering Alabasta if we're lucky,

2 eps Crossing Red Line, Cactus + Little Islands
3 eps Drum Island
5 eps Alabasta

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crosspeice posted:

When they actually show us footage and how the show will handle the many, many issues present in live action anime, then we can quickly figure out how long it'll last.

I'm not holding my breath.

it's netflix. we don't need to see any footage to know it's going to get cancelled almost immediately

maybe we'll get a second season just because of the sunk cost for making boats, but i doubt it

and that's not factoring in angry nerds who go IT'S DIFFERENT AND TERRIBLE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well at least it can’t be as bad as the Cowboy Bebop adaption right (I hope)?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I took a bite of Gum-Gum, and now I stretch my arms like rubber? Okay, I do that now!

*Buggy hand floating in the background* He's behind me, isn't he?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 5, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How long has this been in production? It's been a while right?

Like the timeline just seems unfeasible for even getting to Alabasta.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Oh, it can.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

How long has this been in production? It's been a while right?

Like the timeline just seems unfeasible for even getting to Alabasta.

I feel like even if it's just a simple one season deal covering East Blue, it probably fulfills its purpose of advertising the manga/anime to Johnny Q. Netflix.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Larryb posted:

it was fine other than a really half assed ending without anywhere near enough foreshadowing

ed was exactly as obnoxious as they should have been

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The Cowboy Bebop adaptation had very good actors and production values and music and action. It just had some of the worst writing I've ever seen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Len posted:

it was fine other than a really half assed ending without anywhere near enough foreshadowing

ed was exactly as obnoxious as they should have been

I kind of feel bad for the Ed actor though as it was literally their first role (not sure if they’ve done anything since then)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Being generous I think they were trying to lean into the camp of it, but yeah, really missed the mark. I'm still annoyed they didn't give it another season, cause of the aforementioned great cast/production value and why not.

A difficulty for OP is gonna be the series is freakin' long it doesn't feel possible that they'll be able to realistically finish it. If it were HBO, could see them doing so, but Netflix has that habit of canceling poo poo regardless of quality the second it goes even a little stale.

S1 - East Blue
S2 - Arabasta, Sky Island
S3 - Water 7, Thriller Bark, Summit War
S4 - Fishman, Dressrosa, Whole Cake
S5 - Wano, Egghead(?)

Suppose you could try to do Arabasta and Water 7 in the same season, but lord I hope they don't.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only Sagas that have less than 1 season of content are Skypea, Thrillerbark and Fishman Island. East Blue is just barely 1 season of content.

Arabasta, Water 7, Summit War, and Whole Cake are full seasons of content.

Dressrosa and Wano can be done in 1 season, but that's a shitload of story to parse through when condensing it.

Egghead is almost certainly just the start of the Elbaf or Emperor War saga.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
egghead is gonna be like 1-2 episodes tops if it ever makes it that far (it wont)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also finally listening to Ado's songs from Film Red and Backlight is loving sick.

They're all fuckin' bangers.

Have you seen the MVs for them on Ado's channel?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'm not sure how the live-action show could even do Chopper. CGI seems the obvious answer, but that will get expensive quickly.

(It's not gonna get to Chopper, Brook, or Franky)

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

put a hat on him and just crudely animate his mouth whenever he speaks

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm not sure how the live-action show could even do Chopper. CGI seems the obvious answer, but that will get expensive quickly.

it’s going to be the lamest possible solution if it reaches that point: just have him be a human with horns or hooves so you can keep the “oh no a monster” aspect of his backstory

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like even if it's just a simple one season deal covering East Blue, it probably fulfills its purpose of advertising the manga/anime to Johnny Q. Netflix.

How much of the costs is Netflix actually covering for this? If It's the lion's share, that seems like a... poor marketing decision for them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, it's fine, they'll be swimming in money when they force all the people sharing passwords to get their own drat accounts.

That'll save them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1622430053513707523?s=20&t=zrEFBc38-pjKYjggktEi3w

holy poo poo choppergatchi

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

does he poop?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

They're all fuckin' bangers.

Have you seen the MVs for them on Ado's channel?

That's how I've been listening to them and they loving rule

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Left Chopper
Best Chopper

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
reports have been that the show's budget is ridiculously high so i don't think there's any way it's successful enough to get a second season, even if they get everything right

the writer/showrunner is at least established to be a gigantic fan so maybe it doesn't end up completely bungled like bebop was idk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fawf posted:

does he poop?

I bet Luffy asked that question immediately.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The moment boats get involved a show/movie's budget starts increasing exponentially.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Most of the time it'll be a 13 year old girl in a mid priced reindeer Halloween costume off Amazon.

Brain Point will be a 6 year old in a reindeer Halloween costume.

Heavy Point will be a 20 year old dude in a bigfoot Halloween costume.

Monster Point will be Shaq in a stitched together reindeer/bigfoot Halloween costume.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Bleck posted:

The Cowboy Bebop adaptation had very good actors and production values and music and action. It just had some of the worst writing I've ever seen.

there are no good writers anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

May I introduce you to one Eiichiro Oda

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007