Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Yeah, "testing the fences" makes some sense to me. Also, drone and battery tech are dramatically improved in recent years, so i fully expect there are some new minmaxed designs that can achieve feats thay would have been impossible 20 years ago.

But its still not my default assumption. I dont think the presently ruling communist party nor its chairman is interested in souring relations. As i (fallibly) read it, the ruling chinese authorities have zero motive to tempt fate by sending spy balloons over the US - even with plausible deniability. I expect to learn the mission was driven by scientific curiousity relevant to some capitalist operation, and not a perfidious nation state seeking to dominate the united states of america.

E: unless, of course, the us has been sending balloons over China. Then i could see the Chinese leadership insisting on this mission

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean really I feel like there are basically only really three possible explanations for the government's response to the balloon:
1. As I stated, the purpose of the drone was - as you put it well - to test the fence in which case a delayed response, or complete lack of a response, is the correct action.
2. The balloon was in fact non-nefarious and a weather balloon or something blown wildly off course. Biden and the Pentagon knew this but eventually caved to pressure from Republicans and the media. And/or waited so long to shoot it down because they hosed up by calling it a spy balloon and wanted plausible deniability about the wreckage or something.
3. As Tucker Carlson said on his show last week, Biden is completely in the pocket of the CCP and is a Manchurian (well, Han, technically) president beholding to President Xi.
So yeah. I think I know which two of those are most likely.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The benefit of a balloon that I'd add to the previous idea of it testing the operational ceiling of US aircraft and anti-aircraft capabilities is providing an atmospheric, cheap, system of communication interception (ground to space). You could also feasibly get somewhat better pictures of ground targets as I've read elsewhere, but communication interception seems nicely plausible.

It also may not have been intended to get over the continental US to begin with. It may have been deployed around Alaska and managed to wayward balloon its way out of its position. It may be a science balloon deployed to study the Arctic Circle. Things break, who knows how many other balloons there are, maybe it was meant for a lower altitude and someone misclicked a setting and it leapt into the wrong wind stream. Maybe it was studying the Arctic Circle and the sudden shift when the POLAR VORTEX happened snagged it and pulled it far south to the US (as it pulled the cold mass of air).

The Chinese government should not be trusted on, "it's a science balloon" while also they'd never come clean that someone hosed up, science or military mission. Given all the other methods of spying the Chinese and US governments do on each other, we still return to, "who the gently caress cares about a dumbass balloon?"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think it was a spy balloon, but in a fun, light-hearted kind of way. Like a kid sneaking a peak at their Christmas gifts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

We cannot afford a balloon gap!

Don't worry there isn't one, the US has these comedy boys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethered_Aerostat_Radar_System

that look like they have a ballsack.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1622453614009630722?t=RKIwX8XfU58uyM1nW-Fhtw&s=19

So because the ones that allegedly flew by during the Trump administration didn't have wall to wall coverage they must be making it up.

And if it had been covered, it would be "fake news"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
This entire thing is dumb Cold War 2 posturing just like the first Cold War and the lead-up to the War on Terror. In hindsight, the Soviet Union didn't pose much of a threat to the US, and pretty much just supported communism where it could while strengthening defenses in response to repeated direct threats by the US. In hindsight, Sadam Hussein didn't pose any real threat to the US that required the measures that were taken. You could maybe make the case Afghanistan was more direct because of Osama bin Laden, but it was real clear real early that he just wasn't there.

Now that the Afghanistan gravy train has come to an end and there haven't really been any recent direct attacks against the US directly, the hawks are entering their Cold War phase. They enjoy this probably more than they like active war. They pretend danger lurks just around every corner, and the only remedy is continued military sprawl. The money flows, and nothing needs to work or be used. The military contractors also tried that snake oil bullshit during the War on Terror, but they got made fun of.

Nobody has come up with any good reason why China would send a balloon for any specific information. They don't need to "test the fences." That's not a thing. The state of the US ability to intercept nuclear missiles is pretty well known. It's bad. It can be overwhelmed by half a dozen missiles sent at the same time. If a country was hellbent on a nuclear attack on the US then it would have already happened. Also, it's not like the high value targets in the US are a mystery. Do they need balloons to know Langley is a priority?

Every piece of fear around this dumb balloon starts from the premise first that this must be a spy thing, and then deviates more and more from the reality we live in to justify that premise. This is also what happened during the lead up to the War on Terror. It was decided Iraq was somehow a threat, and more and more insane theories were concocted to justify that premise until the invasion happened.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Uglycat posted:

Ive only done a few minutes googling, but

lol

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Uglycat posted:

It seems perfectly credible to me that nation-states may employ balloons for certain niche purposes, but by and large the appeal of balloons is the relative affordability of them. Ive only done a few minutes googling, but i think we could assemble parts, build, and launch a balloon that stands a good chance of circumnavigating the globe for tens of thousads of dollars.

the US uses a large fleet of spy satellites and electronic signals surveillance. China uses balloons.

The Soviets used a pencil.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm no expert but it seems to me like the primary advantage a balloon would have over a satellite as a spying tool would be to gauge both how long it takes your enemy to notice their airspace has been violated, and how high an altitude their jets are able to engage a target. In which case "wait more or less as long as possible before engaging, if engaging at all" is absolutely the correct move because that's the only information that silly thing can collect that isn't already being collected by satellites.

So naturally the Republicans demanded it be engaged and shot down ASAP.
No. And even the Defense Dpt agrees such a balloon is worthless.

quote:

"Currently, we assess that this balloon has limited additive value from an intelligence collective collection perspective," the official said. "But we are taking steps, nevertheless, to protect against foreign intelligence collection of sensitive information."
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3287177/us-tracking-high-altitude-surveillance-balloon/

HelloSailorSign posted:

The benefit of a balloon that I'd add to the previous idea of it testing the operational ceiling of US aircraft and anti-aircraft capabilities is providing an atmospheric, cheap, system of communication interception (ground to space). You could also feasibly get somewhat better pictures of ground targets as I've read elsewhere, but communication interception seems nicely plausible.
The operational ceiling of US capabilities are open secrets because defense contractors like to brag about our latest toys. But also, missiles are rockets with a bomb. Their "effective ceiling" is whatever their range is, measured perpendicularly to the ground. And I don't think anyone is doubting the US's ability to attach a missile to a jet. (and if you are... why?)

Y'all are engaging in Clancy chat about the re-issuance of 19th century intelligence gathering techniques.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doesn't really matter what the DoD says. Americans are deeply propagandized with war paranoia and racial terror of Asia. If the TV says to be frightened of a Chinese balloon they're gonna be.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tesseraction posted:

Don't worry there isn't one, the US has these comedy boys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethered_Aerostat_Radar_System

Actually that's a Mylar Plastic Reduced Envelope; Grounded (MPREG)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Time to see what Right Wing Media is up in arms about

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1621548585568407553?s=20&t=iGQw4XFe2eJkNL1V_VoGsQ

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1622981246388256770?s=20&t=26QOHBrkFwYh0NzuBbQAFQ

Noted Gay Republican BrokebackUSA

Also

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1622985654199287810?s=20&t=dIECTKb1qR82Xj217bG73g

quote:

MICHAEL KNOWLES (HOST): So, Sam Smith gives an overtly satanic performance with all sorts of transsexuals and fire coming up. First point there, by the way — and I noticed this the other day even before Sam Smith’s performance — isn’t it odd how depictions of demons, how depictions of weird ghoulish devilish demonic figures are always androgynous?

They’re never super duper hyper-masculine chads. They’re never beautiful, truly gorgeous women with classical proportions and representations of beauty. They’re always androgynous. They’re always trans.

And the reason for that is that the devil hates human beings and sexual difference is, basically, at the very core of human nature. The difference between man and woman, the complementarity of man and women, is right there at the heart of human nature. And the devil hates humanity and so he tries to cut away at the very core of humanity.

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1622249749754646529?s=20&t=R_YGS0VDGLzp5UOBZQlgNQ

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1622690404083634207?s=20

Also the earthquake in turkey happened because of this performance according to Pete.

I didn't realize the gays and the trans and other people of malicious ill intent had developed plate tectonic displacement technology. That's incredibly troubling.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I didn't realize the gays and the trans and other people of malicious ill intent had developed plate tectonic displacement technology. That's incredibly troubling.

God's wrath has piss poor aim

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nelson Mandingo posted:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1622690404083634207?s=20

Also the earthquake in turkey happened because of this performance according to Pete.

Nah, god is super righteously pissed about the races mixing women stepping out of the kitchen and voting gay people existing people not following strict gender binaries. Yeah it's super that, totally a new thing, nobody has ever used this bullshit rhetoric before, god is mad about this thing that the right wing is also mad about. We totally need to hurt those people to please god and fix all the social ills with more hatred and suffering. Yup. More hatred and suffering, that's exactly the ticket to fix things. Totally.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Extremely funny that all these Facts Over Feelings logic guys are getting red-faced and screaming arguing with a language bot that has no grasp of logic or ethics and no capability to actually reason about its training data.

"Okay let's say, let's say, we were having this argument in an alternate reality where I am right, okay, an alternate reality where I am right and you are wrong. Then, logically and morally and philosophically, you would have to admit, that I am right. Right?"

No

"Raaaaarrghhh!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What if thermonuclear bombs were set to go off all over the surface of the earth killing billions, and the only way to disarm the detonator is to provide a teen with gender-affirming care

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

VitalSigns posted:

What if thermonuclear bombs were set to go off all over the surface of the earth killing billions, and the only way to disarm the detonator is to provide a teen with gender-affirming care

Lol i love this

Kale
May 14, 2010

May need to start keeping an eye on this thread more to get ahead of the crazy poo poo my one roommate is going to be talking about ahead of time and how to best rebutt and deflect it. The latest is this latest anti vaxx conspiracy thing.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

VitalSigns posted:

Concerning

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm imagining a woke Dr. Evil character and it is hilarious

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"One... MILLION dollars (for charity)"

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Just had a thought: How long until anglophone conservatives try to force grammatical genders into the English language? It feels like a logical next step for them. Since they believe that Platonic Forms of masculine and feminine are real then surely they must reform language so that it’s clear whether any given inanimate object is a boy or a girl.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 7, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

duck.exe posted:

Just had a thought: How long until anglophone conservatives try to force grammatical genders into the English language? It feels like a logical next step for them.

THE Grand Canyon? Silly libs, it's HE Grand Canyon now!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

duck.exe posted:

Just had a thought: How long until anglophone conservatives try to force grammatical genders into the English language? It feels like a logical next step for them.

Problem is that it would require changing a thing that they've done their whole lives, so that's fairly unlikely to get a lot of support.

Now, they'll happily gin up bullshit about liberals wanting to add gender to language only to neuter and remove it, but that's already an ongoing thing with people stating their pronouns (which is hilarious, because it's actually really, really useful for sending e-mails in a large organization because I don't know the naming convention for names from a lot of different nationalities).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Matt Walsh would first want to inspect the teenager's genitals to confirm how fertile and fuckable they were before he made his decision on the fate of the human race.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

duck.exe posted:

Just had a thought: How long until anglophone conservatives try to force grammatical genders into the English language? It feels like a logical next step for them. Since they believe that Platonic Forms of masculine and feminine are real then surely they must reform language so that it’s clear whether any given inanimate object is a boy or a girl.
RETᚢRN
pre:
Strong Nouns	Masculine	Neuter				Feminine
Case		Sing.	Plural	Singular	Plural		Sing.		Plural
Nominative	stān	stān-as	sċip / þing	sċip-u / þing	ġief-u / sorg	ġief-a / sorg-a, -e
Accusative	stān	stān-as	sċip / þing	sċip-u / þing	ġief-e / sorg-e	ġief-a / sorg-a, -e
Genitive	stān-es	stān-a	sċip-es/þing-es	sċip-a / þing-a	ġief-e / sorg-e	ġief-a / sorg-a
Dative		stān-e	stān-um	sċip-e/þing-e	sċip-um/þing-um	ġief-e / sorg-e	ġief-um / sorg-um

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

duck.exe posted:

It's Adam and Eve, not They and Theeeve

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Uglycat posted:

I myself doubt it was launched by the chinese government.

Has the Chinese government denied it was their balloon? I thought they made comments about the balloon essentially admitting ownership?

“On Friday, China finally acknowledged the balloon was its property, saying that it was a civilian airship used for meteorological research, which deviated from its route because of bad weather.”

I took this to mean civilian as in non-military not civilian as in non-governmental otherwise they would have said the balloon belongs to so and so.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

VitalSigns posted:

Those Who Hang Out in Omelas.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kale posted:

May need to start keeping an eye on this thread more to get ahead of the crazy poo poo my one roommate is going to be talking about ahead of time and how to best rebutt and deflect it. The latest is this latest anti vaxx conspiracy thing.

Which anti-vaxx thing, there are many threads.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know what you guys are on about but I heard something about a balloon or some poo poo.

It sounds pretty serious

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know what you guys are on about but I heard something about a balloon or some poo poo.

It sounds pretty serious

it is pretty serious, the Chinese floated a balloon that says "BIG BUTT BIDEN" over most of the continental US

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Huh, I drove past one of these on the way to Marfa once. I was more bewildered and disturbed by the entire concept, but I guess I didn't notice the comical nutsack attached to it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Huh, I drove past one of these on the way to Marfa once. I was more bewildered and disturbed by the entire concept, but I guess I didn't notice the comical nutsack attached to it.

Oh, the humanity

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kale posted:

how to best rebutt and deflect it.

The answer is a sock full of gravel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was wondering why noted shithead James O'Keefe was trending, and apparently this is why

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1623506139454242820?s=20&t=oaEYJWutELLZhlM0T-3IGg

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was wondering why noted shithead James O'Keefe was trending, and apparently this is why

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1623506139454242820?s=20&t=oaEYJWutELLZhlM0T-3IGg

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow stole 40 cakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm staring at a tweet that contains the words James O'Keefe and "musical theater dreams" in the same sentence.