Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

These people are wrong street flash is rad and if you have the balls to do it then do it. There’s no need to bounce it, direct flash is cool for street.

Manual is probably the best if you’re already zone focusing and know the distance you’re trying to shoot at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nah, if you're using flash to shoot random people without asking you're an rear end in a top hat.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
rear end in a top hat or no a cool pic is a cool pic and its not like ur really hurting anyone (usually)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nah, if you're using flash to shoot random people without asking you're an rear end in a top hat.

ok

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Flash street does look cool but I think I read once that if you took away the camera your effectively just sneaking up on people and shouting boo in their face.
So if you want to be that kinda person, go for it I guess? But be prepared to take a punch or have your gear smashed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well the general point of street photography is to take candid images unnoticed, and using flash completely defeats the purpose

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
drat I didn't know that was the point

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Well the general point of street photography is to take candid images unnoticed, and using flash completely defeats the purpose

not sure i agree with this!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

someone should tell this garry guy he is doing it wrong

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i love shooting street with a flash and especially being noticed doing it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i find it funny that you're apparently an rear end in a top hat if you make yourself known that you've taken someone's photograph, as opposed to being completely dishonest and trying to hide yourself the entire time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would conclude that a complete stranger triggering a flash in my face is an rear end in a top hat. If one feels their art is worth being regarded as an rear end in a top hat, more power to them because it's a public space. But they're still an rear end in a top hat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

i find it funny that you're apparently an rear end in a top hat if you make yourself known that you've taken someone's photograph, as opposed to being completely dishonest and trying to hide yourself the entire time

So do you make yourself known by triggering a flash in their face, or by asking permission first? Cuz if it's the former then yes YTA.

And it's not about being dishonest and hiding, it's about not being annoying and wearing out your welcome

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

is it okay to take a picture of a stranger without asking if you're not using a flash?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I mean, by the time the flash goes off it's already to late for them to react to it, so if that's the purpose of street then it's still upheld.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It is always okay to make a photograph of anyone in a public setting, except other peoples’ children, cause that can get a little problematic

Whether or not anyone likes it is another question,

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you took my picture I wouldn't care. If you blinded me with a flash I would care.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I enjoy seeing people making photos in public, and when they aim the camera at me, I usually just ignore them

Unless I see them trying to be sneaky, then I ham it up. Always like seeing baby’s first attempt at street photography when a guy is acting like he’s fiddling with his camera even though I keep seeing the front element of the lens trained perfectly on me

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

is it okay to take a picture of a stranger without asking if you're not using a flash?

It depends on the situation, but using flash is way more intrusive and is not something that should be sprung on anyone in close proximity in the name of "street photography"

Megabound posted:

I mean, by the time the flash goes off it's already to late for them to react to it, so if that's the purpose of street then it's still upheld.

Yeah I guess you're right if that's the goal. Still a lovely thing to do tho imo.

Mega Comrade posted:

If you took my picture I wouldn't care. If you blinded me with a flash I would care.

Agreed

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

there's a lot of historical precedence of famous "street" photographers using flash, it makes no sense to say that it's exclusive of the genre

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

there's a lot of historical precedence of famous "street" photographers using flash, it makes no sense to say that it's exclusive of the genre

Fine. The whole point of my argument anyway was that's it's not cool to use flash and take pics of random strangers, no matter what kind of photography you want to call it.

How or how not street photography should be done is a different debate all together.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think it makes you an rear end in a top hat, I think it makes you self reflect. Putting yourself out there in a way where you will get noticed makes you consider your motivation and moves you from observer to participant. From inactive to active, and that can be uncomfortable. Saying you shouldn't use flash on public and putting a moral basis around it is just cowardice.

Use the tools at your disposal to make the art you want. Flash doesn't make you the rear end in a top hat, intent does.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

counterpoint: weegee is extremely cool

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe an example would help.

https://youtu.be/kkIWW6vwrvM

I think you probably can do flash without being an arsehole. But Gilden definitely is one.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's not just using flash that makes him an rear end in a top hat, it's that he uses the flash to make people into objects for mockery. he just takes "ugly" photos for shock value

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that is not what gilden does, he's very explicit about it

lots of other people have characterized him as such, though. you're another

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i just find his photos sort of leery and avedon-esque, entirely unrelated from how he shoots. if he's somehow not that sort of guy i didn't know but i can't say i've looked into interviews or the like with him

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that is not what gilden does, he's very explicit about it

lots of other people have characterized him as such, though. you're another

That's not what he says he does.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Fine. The whole point of my argument anyway was that's it's not cool to use flash and take pics of random strangers, no matter what kind of photography you want to call it.

How or how not street photography should be done is a different debate all together.

Flash can create some strong images though, especially at night.

Ash Shinya Kawaoto

Eric Kim

Tadashi Onishii

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

This is triggering Christmas picture flashbacks.

“Did we get it that time?”

“Can we try again I think I blinked?!”

“Wait we need another one without the fan cord hanging from the top.”

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Megabound posted:

I don't think it makes you an rear end in a top hat, I think it makes you self reflect. Putting yourself out there in a way where you will get noticed makes you consider your motivation and moves you from observer to participant. From inactive to active, and that can be uncomfortable. Saying you shouldn't use flash on public and putting a moral basis around it is just cowardice.

Use the tools at your disposal to make the art you want. Flash doesn't make you the rear end in a top hat, intent does.

unfortunately intent is invisible to everyone except yourself

Taking candid photos of random people on the street is being an rear end in a top hat. Taking photos by flashing random strangers on the street is especially being an rear end in a top hat. Tell yourself your intent is pure all you want, but from an outsider's perspective there's functionally nothing separating you from the average pervert trying to take sneaky photos of women to wack off to later.

bobmarleysghost posted:

someone should tell this garry guy he is doing it wrong

Garry Winogrand is the perfect example of that, even. Man put together an entire book titled Women Are Beautiful that was just stealth photos of women in public and tanked his career and respect because everyone thought it was vulgar and exploitative, especially given the lack of consent from the subjects he was photographing.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
https://www.bitchute.com/video/OkQQggPH6a9B/

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i hope we can finally resolve the dialectic between makes good art and rear end in a top hat in this thread

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I like street photography photos a lot but every street photographer docu I've ever seen portrays a horrible little hobgoblin of a man being an absolute pest to everyone around him.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Time for me to give up steet photography

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

unfortunately intent is invisible to everyone except yourself

Exactly, nobody else gives a poo poo about your art, and people that are so immersed into their art are oblivious to it usually. I've been there, so busy looking through the lens at everything and then realizing that people are looking at me like I'm a creepy weirdo.

Even as a freelancer getting PAID to do it, sometimes I would feel uncomfortable when I was clearly being viewed as a pain in the rear end, and this was around people that were used to getting their photos taken all the time. I would even get confronted and yelled at lol.

I can't imagine walking around a busy city using flash for random street portraits like that guy in the video, I would fully expect to get my rear end kicked at some point.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ishikabibble posted:

Garry Winogrand is the perfect example of that, even. Man put together an entire book titled Women Are Beautiful that was just stealth photos of women in public and tanked his career and respect because everyone thought it was vulgar and exploitative, especially given the lack of consent from the subjects he was photographing.
it's amazingly easy to find an example of most artists being assholes and creepy. matisse spent his later life loving little girls in tahiti and making art about it. we still think his earlier stuff is nice.

someone producing some gross work at some point doesn't necessarily invalidate their entire body of work

it's easy to get mad at some particular work or period of time in an artist's life, because it's easy to do that to literally anyone

street photography is predicated on capturing moments. the phrase that gets thrown around so much in art and ESPECIALLY photography pretty much comes from street photography. before that we had dutch still life paintings as maybe the closest to that idea, or maybe early soviet propaganda art (idk, maybe stretching). anyone who practices street photography will mention "capturing a moment" in there somewhere.

all these people on public streets are walking around, showing exactly what saul leiter or bruce gilden or whomever try to show. it's there! all the time! people living private moments in their head, of their life, in public, on the streets. street photography holds onto those moments as worth examining. it's not easy work, and it's hard to do well, and yeah, it might not be for you. but doing it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

is this photo creepy? bad? was saul leiter an rear end in a top hat for making this photo? it might look visually different than bruce gilden, but it's a man with camera in public making photographs. they may not have even known they were being photographed! does that matter if they're in the middle of a crowd? does it matter in 2023, when all of us are on camera at some point when we're in public? is bruce gilden more ethical because at least his subjects know they're being photographed? does the more "dreamy" look of this photo influence your perception of whether it's "art," or otherwise okay?

all things worth thinking about

'The Kiss' 1952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Twenties Superstar posted:

i hope we can finally resolve the dialectic between makes good art and rear end in a top hat in this thread