Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Libluini posted:

Now I'm wondering if there are people who replace 2d6 with 3d4. :allears:

Call this the Ultra Mode variant rule because holy poo poo I'd be taking UACs on every single mech when you can't jam them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
D4s roll like poo poo though, no game should use them

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

I haven’t played with such people but the ones I’ve seen talk about online just think it makes the game faster :shobon:

Totally. I mean to be clear - I wouldn’t use D12s due to these very reasons, but I know some people do.

Well for sure the game would be faster with genrally higher probability of hits and headshots but a hell of a way to completely misunderstand the rules mechanics.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

bad_fmr posted:

Well for sure the game would be faster with genrally higher probability of hits and headshots but a hell of a way to completely misunderstand the rules mechanics.

The probability of hits won't be generally higher, though. Harder shots will be more likely to hit, but anything requiring a roll of 7 or less will be *less* successful.

Also, they make all kinds of d4s now. Chessex isn't the only game in town anymore. If you don't like caltrops, you never have to roll one again if you don't want to.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Volkova III posted:

The probability of hits won't be generally higher, though. Harder shots will be more likely to hit, but anything requiring a roll of 7 or less will be *less* successful.

Well that is why I said generally. In my experiance target numbers usually are well above 7. But this of course varies with each table, what era and tech level you play, pilots, terrains and so on.

Another topic, I noticed there appears to be some battletech podcasts and youtube shows. Can you guys recommend any or list some I should avoid?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Rorahusky posted:

When it comes to customization, there are general three phases I see people go through.

Phase 1 - 'IDK It Just Sounds Cool': Just starting out, everything is new and interest to you, and you design 'Mechs based off of whatever idea springs forth from your head. Things like Balance and Functionality are the furthest thing from your mind because you have a giant toybox and you want to play with all the fun toys~

Phase 2 - 'Stop Having Fun Guy': The 'typical' customizer. Someone who customizes based off of what is optimal for whatever task you set forth. This is the stage most custom builders never really grow out of because they let competition take hold. The guys who give unit design a bad rep.

Phase 3 - 'The LoreWarrior': At this point of the game, it's no longer about building what is optimal, but what makes sense from an in-universe sense, where you factor in things beyond raw numbers and cost-to-effectiveness ratios. A lot of the time, it's the result of a Phase 2er wondering why some canon designs are so aggressively bad, and they wind up falling down the rabbithole. You start asking yourself things like 'Why does Marik use so many designs with Large Lasers when they could instead use a PPC? Oh wait, it's because they build the Awesome, and those require so many PPCs per chassis that they don't have many left to spare for other designs. That makes sense.' and you start noticing trends amongst the various factions.

I used to be a Phase 2er when I first started out, but I have since transitioned to a Phase 3 builder, because I find highly optimized designs boring and the lore reasons for things tickles my fancy, and generally when I do customize units, I tend to restrict myself to the Upgrades that make the most sense from a lore perspective, which is why I adore that Strategic Operations included a chart that lists what kind of modifications require what level of work (Field Refit, Maintenance, Factory), and I generally disallow anything that would require a Factory-Level Refit from play on the grounds that most people do not have the required sway needed to convince the procurement office that 'Yes I really need to have a team of top-tier technicians peel my 'Mech down to the skeleton and rebuild it from the ground up so I can fit five hundred LRMs onto it'

There's either a fourth phase or intermediate phase when you realize "making the best mech for the weight" is a suckers game that'll get you mobbed every time and you start to figure out how BV works. That's the guy who inexplicably loves VSPLs and UAC/5s.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Libluini posted:

Now I'm wondering if there are people who replace 2d6 with 3d4. :allears:

I dunno what it does to the probability, but in the Guerilla Miniature Games Battletech campaign that just wrapped, they were rolling two 2d6 d12s - like d12s that were marked with d6 pips on all faces

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno what it does to the probability, but in the Guerilla Miniature Games Battletech campaign that just wrapped, they were rolling two 2d6 d12s - like d12s that were marked with d6 pips on all faces

You could make a bell curve 2D6 single dice with 36 faces. So one 2, two 3s, four 4s, and so on. It'd probably be highly impractical. You need more than 12 faces to replace a D12, your example above sounds like just fancy D6s, ie. D12 with every result from 1 to 6 appearing twice, which I've seen but never understood the point of.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

lilljonas posted:

You could make a bell curve 2D6 single dice with 36 faces. So one 2, two 3s, four 4s, and so on. It'd probably be highly impractical. You need more than 12 faces to replace a D12, your example above sounds like just fancy D6s, ie. D12 with every result from 1 to 6 appearing twice, which I've seen but never understood the point of.

I dunno, maybe they're just dodecadorks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

D4s roll like poo poo though, no game should use them
Throw "rounded D4" into google and make yourself feel better.

raverrn posted:

There's either a fourth phase or intermediate phase when you realize "making the best mech for the weight" is a suckers game that'll get you mobbed every time and you start to figure out how BV works. That's the guy who inexplicably loves VSPLs and UAC/5s.
An IRL friend of mine learned how the BV system works and is a nightmare to play against competitively because of that. He's also really good at positioning and has slightly ridiculous luck too, so it's a perfect storm. He gets away with it by also being an incredibly nice guy.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Just recruited a guy who I work with into a buying a company to start playing Alpha Strike. He had already started playing clix with some of my old pieces, but wants to try Alpha Strike as A) he loves painting minis and likes the look of missile boats in the game, and B) he likes how in AS damage is more simultaneous compared to clix or warhammer.

He's going to paint the mechs up in merc colors based on his Steam BattleTech company, so that's cool.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 8, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have now read the Alpha Strike rules and I have to say it is such a breath of fresh air to read a tight, light system of rules.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Volkova III posted:

Making long-range combat more deadly sounds like a real bad time for anyone playing against Clans (or a list full of missile boats). So: yikes

Cthulu Carl posted:

Wtf

bad_fmr posted:

Another topic, I noticed there appears to be some battletech podcasts and youtube shows. Can you guys recommend any or list some I should avoid?

I like The Mechbay podcast. Nice friendly discussion about various BT topics. On YT I like putting Wargamer Fritz rambles on in the background (generally no real visual component) while painting or the like, and while his channel isn’t huge yet, I think Mechanical Frog might be the best all-around BattleTech channel. Well-produced and with a dryly humorous narration that works at least for me

I wish I could say I liked Nerdy Overanalyzed (despite the name it’s like 99% BattleTech) more - it’s excellently produced and Good Content but I find the narrator’s voice and delivery extremely grating. Your mileage may and probably will vary

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 8, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Reading Warrior Trilogy 2 and its a shame beyond all shame that Chancellor Liao will never be played or voiced by James Hong, this guy is the cattiest bitch of an Emperor I have ever seen and I'm here for it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno, maybe they're just dodecadorks.

Maybe they feel like the dice roll better? :confused:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

raverrn posted:

This is just Phase 2 again with a different metric

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

galaxy brain part of the meme:

the actual building challenge is choosing the best lance for the job from canon mech designs.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the only custom mechs that exist are ones that have stls available for download

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Making long-range combat more deadly sounds like a real bad time for anyone playing against Clans (or a list full of missile boats). So: yikes

This, and making lighter mech speed tanking even worse than it is with normal rules.

a cyborg mug posted:

I like The Mechbay podcast. Nice friendly discussion about various BT topics. On YT I like putting Wargamer Fritz rambles on in the background (generally no real visual component) while painting or the like, and while his channel isn’t huge yet, I think Mechanical Frog might be the best all-around BattleTech channel. Well-produced and with a dryly humorous narration that works at least for me

I wish I could say I liked Nerdy Overanalyzed (despite the name it’s like 99% BattleTech) more - it’s excellently produced and Good Content but I find the narrator’s voice and delivery extremely grating. Your mileage may and probably will vary

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the only custom mechs that exist are ones that have stls available for download

I got an angry e-mail from Comstar for downloading the Urbanmech with hulk arms

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5351848

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

My first introduction to the game in the 90's was from a friend who assured me straight ton-for-ton was the way to do it. I dutifully picked out a couple IS mechs from the TRO he offered to loan me for our first game, and he picked out some Clan mechs before I even knew much about the game, let alone there was something besides 3025 IS technology. We went 200 tons and I got to learn what a Daishi and an ER-PPC were the hard way. It's a testament to how fun it is to fill in bubbles and shove around tiny giant robots that I kept playing. I think this introduction is part of why I'm obstinately an IS/succession war Grognard and tend to bullheadedly regard later tech as all ways to have your cake and eat it without meaningful compromise.

Yeah in the beginning we spent countles of hours just playing with lances rolled from some random assignment tables and of course rolling random pilots as well. The game really had to be good to keep us engaged even with all those imbalances. Well at some point we moved on to one player as a GM playing opfor or at least designing the scenarios.

Then we played a massive Clan invasion campaign without really understanding the imbalances. Well at least the Lyrans getting absolutely crushed by the Jade Falcons went along the canon in the fiction. Only after that we started paying more attention to the balancing mechanics.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I got an angry e-mail from Comstar for downloading the Urbanmech with hulk arms

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5351848

Oh wow :perfect:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The contempt in this thread for people who want to play BattleTech as a game and not as a space-themed historicals self-flaggelation engine is really discouraging.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

The contempt in this thread for people who want to play BattleTech as a game and not as a space-themed historicals self-flaggelation engine is really discouraging.

why would you put a flagtelation whip in the arm slots when you can fit another ERPPC? seems unoptomized.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

It's not a very good game without all the bric-a-brac lore surrounding it, is the thing. It's an engine for emergent storytelling more than anything else.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

It's not a very good game without all the bric-a-brac lore surrounding it, is the thing. It's an engine for emergent storytelling more than anything else.

I disagree with this take in general but strongly disagree with the (repeated in this thread by multiple people) implication that the emergent storytelling requires a particular kind of design or background fluff that's incompatible with good units.

Weird, dumb, and cool stuff all happens whether you're using a lovely Whitworth or a Jade Phoenix A.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

It's weird that you'd call it that because people here are indicating that playing with the kind of person who min-maxes their build in any game tend to suck the fun out of playing and thus indulging them is its own form of self-flaggelation engine.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

I don't really see that, every time new players ask if they have to stick to a given faction there's someone who says "you can find an in-universe excuse to field any unit with any force so just pick whatever"

I personally like to stick to faction unit lists, canon units, and eras because I like the theming but IDGAF what other people do if that's fun for them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

I don't really see that

There are like six posts in the last two pages characterizing players who don't deliberately make poor optimization choices as "Stop Having Fun Guy".

Arquinsiel posted:

It's weird that you'd call it that because people here are indicating that playing with the kind of person who min-maxes their build in any game tend to suck the fun out of playing and thus indulging them is its own form of self-flaggelation engine.

And also this one.

I don't know what collective trauma the posters in this thread suffered that made them hostile to the concept of playing well on purpose but it's really frustrating to get tarred with the same brush.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh I didn't realize you think playing poorly is using anything but clan large pulse lasers

I get it, I like them too, but calling anything else playing poorly is kind of a lovely attitude and you probably aren't fun to play with

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Battletech has plenty of room for both casual and tryhard play styles and if you find yourself clashing with someone on the opposite end of the spectrum then one or more players has failed to read the room.

Complaining about someone beating you with superior math is being a sore loser, and on the flipside telling people their build isn't optimal without them asking is being a haughty nerd.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You're doing it yourself now by conflating "playing well" with "taking the most optimized mechs under the game rules and ignoring other considerations."

Can you not imagine a reason people might be bored of solved optimization other than they're too dim and bad at the game to recognize that "wow this double heat sink ER endo ferro gold pated built in dicksucking neurohelmet mech is pretty good?"

"Wow this guy really sucks at playing out this Normandy scenario. I would simply spam Tiger I's everywhere. How did he get so bad at the game?"

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 8, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The best options in this game are so obvious that the bar for "playing well" as defined by knowing what makes the best designs is so low that it's kind of silly to take an arrogant attitude over. I've understood what makes the best mechs for literal decades and it bores me to death, so I just pick stuff that's weird and thematic.

If I defined myself by my placement in a tournament sure I'd take hyper-optimized stuff. But gently caress that, that's not why I play the game. If you enjoy playing like that I'm happy for you but don't judge others who don't

edit: parts of that were jerky for me to say but I think it's jerky to say that you have to be a poor player to take anything other than the most optimized options, sometimes good players just get bored and have to get weird with it

edit 2: My SO likes and often (but not always) takes heavily optimized stuff. His favorite mech is the TR-1 Wraith, for instance, and it's a good bet that there will be plenty of other jumpy pulsy mechs and inferno munitions. But he doesn't call me a poor player when I take stuff that's weird, so he's fun to play against.

And I actually have a high win rate against him because he keeps fixating on the pariah that I have charge in ahead of my actual force (often an Archangel or similar zombie) hoping for a quick kill that never comes while my other mechs sit with good shots and do all the damage. In one game I had an AS7-K Atlas (yes, that one) expend all of its ammunition before the game ended in my victory, untouched because the Archangel Dominus took so long to destroy, lmao

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 8, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Eh, having read a bunch of Scotty's analysis posts over on the other forum, I think you're badly mischaracterizing him. He's not "clan large pulse lasers and LRMs only" he's "units should be designed well to do what they want to do", whether that's be a cheap filler unit at an affordable BV, or a superstar duelist, or a tank, or what. Like the guy loves UAC5s, because they're great for what you pay for them.

All the post-3050 tech is much more 'interesting sidegrade' than 'hyper optimized meta muncher,' and from what I've read Scotty's attitude is "a good unit is one that uses all these options to do something interesting at an affordable price". That leads to more variety in unit picks, not less.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This has been a very educational conversation.

BattleMaster posted:

The best options in this game are so obvious that the bar for "playing well" as defined by knowing what makes the best designs is so low that it's kind of silly to take an arrogant attitude over. I've understood what makes the best mechs for literal decades and it bores me to death, so I just pick stuff that's weird and thematic.

Great! Without a drop of sarcasm, keep doing that and I'm happy you've found the way you enjoy playing BattleTech.

I have also found the way I enjoy playing BattleTech. Neither of us needs to convince the other to change.

It's just really frustrating that my kind of game gets poo poo on relentlessly and when I pointed it out this was the response.

I don't loving care if you (the collective you) don't like that kind of game. Just gently caress off and stop taking every opportunity to insinuate that everyone who does is a fun ruining rear end in a top hat.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Would be nice if you didn't characterize not playing like you as playing poorly

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I didn't say that, but I can see where the track jumped. I was complaining that not deliberately making unoptimized choices gets you labeled the unfun guy.

Deliberately making unoptimized choices was the entire thesis of one of your posts today, so I know you know what I mean. There's not a values judgment in that sentence.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

I didn't say that, but I can see where the track jumped. I was complaining that not deliberately making unoptimized choices gets you labeled the unfun guy.

Deliberately making unoptimized choices was the entire thesis of one of your posts today, so I know you know what I mean. There's not a values judgment in that sentence.

You called picking optimized units as "playing well on purpose" so the opposite of that is that picking anything else is "playing poorly on purpose"

As if unit selection is all there is to play skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
We both know it isn't, but if we're going to be splitting hairs on my "please stop calling me an rear end in a top hat" request I'll just take the L and catch the next conversation.