Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Eggplant Squire posted:

More like Fake News Morgan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

I hope the traitor isn't Lilith, it's too obvious.

Also they forgot to give Stussy some pants

Ha ha yes "forgot"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Delphisage posted:

Blarg, I hate these bad speedscans ruining discussion.

We offscreened the entire Reverie. Oda probably planned for it to get more screentime than "9 chapters, and then it's 4 straight years of Wano".
But he's on the SS big news. I get that Vivi is apparently being hid there by Morgans who's some kind of crazy person but why would Wapol be there?

EDIT: ok, apparently in that chapter when we saw Morgans' fists from way back Wapol contacted Morgans and told him he had information for him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks, I won't read them

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
seems like vivi & wapol both saw imu just like sabo did, but they obviously managed to escape & were later rescued by morgans

now since stussy & morgans are pals it wouldn't be surprising if morgans & co. end up heading to wherever the straw hats do (probably elbaf)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kild posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I read them.

And will probably read them again with the better scans. And then again with the actual chapter.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I read them.

And will probably read them again with the better scans. And then again with the actual chapter.

I read one piece three times a week now. Ngl is pretty great

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And it gets better every time!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if you read vague spoilers, full spoilers, bad fan translation, good fan translation, and official release, then you get to read new one piece 5 times a week.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Asuron posted:

I read one piece three times a week now. Ngl is pretty great

:hmmyes:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
don't forget tabbing between the raws and translations

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Paper Lion posted:

if you read vague spoilers, full spoilers, bad fan translation, good fan translation, and official release, then you get to read new one piece 5 times a week.

Rather than spoilers, read the raws and try to absorb all the information through osmosis

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only reason I even read the good fan translation is that otherwise this thread would be completely impossible to read.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Love me dem early scans.

It's kinda hard to figure Morgans angle harboring fugitives of the WG, but I guess he's already on the poo poo list since he punched out that one CP guy and printed whatever story he wanted. I'm given to wonder about his apparent untouchability, I guess even the World Government would have trouble finding airships and sky islands. It seems like the implication is the secret saboteur is a robot?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Long Nami is frightening

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pretty off-model Chopper

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hey so I’m a librarian who reads manga at the desk (haven’t really read manga since I was a kid) and I just got through chapter 300 in One Piece! They’re coming down from Skypeia! I can’t believe SO MUCH has happened in this manga and I’m not even a third of the way through this. Holy poo poo!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hey so I’m a librarian who reads manga at the desk (haven’t really read manga since I was a kid) and I just got through chapter 300 in One Piece! They’re coming down from Skypeia! I can’t believe SO MUCH has happened in this manga and I’m not even a third of the way through this. Holy poo poo!

I also recently started reading and am ~50 chapters past that now. I had seen a lot of it in anime form but it’s amazing how much better it flows without filler and flashbacks padding out runtime. I didn’t even mind the little mini arc following Skypeia that much.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’ve watched a couple episodes after reading a chapter I thought would look good in animation and honestly so far there’s no comparison. Oda and his team’s art is always more expressive, emotional, and beautiful.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Believe it or not, you've almost gotten to what most people consider "the good part" :v:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I’ve watched a couple episodes after reading a chapter I thought would look good in animation and honestly so far there’s no comparison. Oda and his team’s art is always more expressive, emotional, and beautiful.

Yeah, after reading the manga I’ve seen a few episodes and it really doesn’t compare. The anime seems like it always looks a bit sloppy by comparison. I don’t think Oda is really great at conveying action and the fight scenes can be confusing in my opinion but I’m less interested in the fights and more the character moments so I don’t mind.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I read the manga then I looked up all the cool action parts on YouTube

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
reading the manga + watching the movies for cool animation is best combo

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

holefoods posted:

Yeah, after reading the manga I’ve seen a few episodes and it really doesn’t compare. The anime seems like it always looks a bit sloppy by comparison. I don’t think Oda is really great at conveying action and the fight scenes can be confusing in my opinion but I’m less interested in the fights and more the character moments so I don’t mind.

I love Oda’a art but yeah sometimes it can get too busy for it’s own good. You can FEEL the enthusiasm for everything he’s doing and drawing but his desire to draw EVERYTHING with AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE can definitely lead to things being super muddled, especially in climaxes where there’s usually like five major set pieces going on.

That being said, I’m still enjoying the story a ton and, ya, loving the characters.

There’s also lots of moments where the art is just perfect and fluid, and when it hits, there’s nothing like it. The Luffy/Crocodile fight at the end of Alabasta comes to mind.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Conrad_Birdie posted:

There’s also lots of moments where the art is just perfect and fluid, and when it hits, there’s nothing like it. The Luffy/Crocodile fight at the end of Alabasta comes to mind.

That's one of the moments where the anime's sound really adds to the moment. The music of the anime is generally good, but the swelling Beethoven as Luffy punches the gently caress out of Croc is fantastic. It's up there with the time the anime has Luffy punch a guy so hard there's no color on the screen.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Gyges posted:

That's one of the moments where the anime's sound really adds to the moment. The music of the anime is generally good, but the swelling Beethoven as Luffy punches the gently caress out of Croc is fantastic. It's up there with the time the anime has Luffy punch a guy so hard there's no color on the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qut5e3OfCvg&t=2035s

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Keep reading and keep posting here as you do so! Hearing newcomers go through the highs and lows of the series is always a hoot.

And good news - this is one of the very, very few epic works that really doesn't true low points. You keep expecting it to drop in quality, and it really doesn't. There's quibbling on some arcs being better than others, but even the weak ones are still a lot of fun, and more importantly feed into payoffs later. And when you hit the highs, it's as good as fiction gets. You're in for such a treat.

Bon voyage!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 9, 2023

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZh__YgEhs

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Begemot posted:

Believe it or not, you've almost gotten to what most people consider "the good part" :v:

The Davy Back Fight :hmmyes:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah don’t take my mild criticisms of some aspects of the manga too seriously, I’m very much loving reading this story for the first time and have no intentions of stopping!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Welcome

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Okay now the first thing you need to do is watch the G-8 filler arc from the anime. It's really fun.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Gyges posted:

The only reason I even read the good fan translation is that otherwise this thread would be completely impossible to read.

I read it because, like any number of services and/or countries, the place to read the legit version pretends that Taiwan isn't real.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Delphisage posted:

Okay now the first thing you need to do is watch the G-8 filler arc from the anime. It's really fun.

I was very disappointed to see that it wasn’t in the manga, that arc ruled.

Into Enies Lobby pretty good now, what a page turner. I don’t think I’ve flown through chapters like that since I’ve read Akira.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I will read these, but only because it's been a long break and I need my fix. Now I can read One Piece three times this weekend!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DizzyBum posted:

I will read these, but only because it's been a long break and I need my fix. Now I can read One Piece three times this weekend!

Good scans are out now

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5630/one-piece-chapter-1074?&date=9-2-2023-14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'll read this.