Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

mastershakeman posted:

hey now, the hulkbuster was $50 for 2000 less pieces! this is a steal!

my friends who aren't really into lego are all dismayed at the price but what can you do.

on the plus side, one of them said he wanted to work on a MOC of board game artwork he has of mayanesque architecture and I thought I'd help him out (or see if anyone here wanted to)

I figured I'd use one of the stargate MOCs as inspiration for the 'portal', are there any old lego adventurers sets I could use as inspiration for the architecture? otherwise i'll just use this one https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-116457/peme/21058-building-of-the-great-pyramid/#details

I'll probably try to make it microscale if he wants to build it in real life

Are you aware that Lego has done an Atlantis theme? Definitely a little simple compared to that Knossos Palace MOC that was posted but worth a look, and the instructions will be easy to find on the Lego site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

sim posted:

https://www.brickmeupscottie.com/ is another good site for non-LEGO sets. The guy who runs it does YouTube reviews for many of the sets so you can get a good idea of the quality.

Seconding - Scottie is a great guy and provides excellent customer service. Shipping is more expensive (not his fault - HK doesn't get the same shipping discounts that mainland China does) but he often has stuff you can't find anywhere else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put in an order with Scottie and just waiting to get a shipping estimate and will take it from there. I love those mini city vendor things, I have a few from Ali/Temu but his look bigger and better than the ones in my collection.

Tried to do one from WOBB too but the price jumped up between the product page and cart which is a bit off, I’ll try on my computer later and see what’s up. It also says shipping is free on the site then asks for my zip for an estimate…

e: yeah the site works far better in a real browser, not sure what was going on with the mobile one that jacked the price up and it seems the shipping estimate is probably just part of the template they use so not an issue. Cool!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 7, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Are you aware that Lego has done an Atlantis theme? Definitely a little simple compared to that Knossos Palace MOC that was posted but worth a look, and the instructions will be easy to find on the Lego site.

No, I was not! This is why I came to ask all of you. My knowledge of lego is 1985-1990, 2020-now.

i was trying to explain microscale to my friend and realized the microscale hogwarts castle , released 5 years ago, was $470 for 6000 pieces. so nearly identical piece count for basically the same price as rivendell, without even getting into the price increase last summer

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 7, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lamont posted:

Seconding - Scottie is a great guy and provides excellent customer service. Shipping is more expensive (not his fault - HK doesn't get the same shipping discounts that mainland China does) but he often has stuff you can't find anywhere else.

I just got a shipping quote of $80 for two sets. drat, that’s just so much more than I expected and can’t justify that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The new $10 piñata is really cute, too bad my local store doesn’t have it :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just got a shipping quote of $80 for two sets. drat, that’s just so much more than I expected and can’t justify that.

I'm not sure how much talk about lego knockoffs is ok here, but I use joytoyworld (complicated VIP account that you have to make) and marstoy (very weird payment system that seems scammy). Marstoy has the best shipping I think on top of being my goto for minifigs.

heres some random big sets to illinois

frankly i wouldn't use them for sets that you can find new in store since the instructions, clutch, part quality etc are just enough worse. undercutting scalpers on old sets? sure . minifigs that may not even exist officially? absolutely.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah they come directly from the faketory in China

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What sets are you looking for? I mostly buy city/food stall type stuff so I might have seen them around on other sites.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Walter White battles Michael Gove, a classic set

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can only imagine what it looks like and I need it in my life.
I haven't yet bought any off-brand LEGO bricks but the Princess Star is probably as tempted as I've been so far

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Telephone box and Halloweentown won the Ideas review

https://twitter.com/legoideas/status/1623320936958009349

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I actually like that Nightmare Before Christmas idea, I'll be curious to see how they design it to make sure the tower has enough stability.

I noticed that a Polaroid was in that same batch, am I imagining things or was there not a Polaroid set of some kind that made it through recently?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lamont posted:

What sets are you looking for? I mostly buy city/food stall type stuff so I might have seen them around on other sites.

It looks like the ones that I've tried from Scotties are on WOBB too at similar prices but no shipping fee, so hopefully that'll cover most of my bases. Yeah sounds like we have similar taste, I like the little vendors that feel like unique items for the Japanese and Chinese markets that aren't just cribbed from Lego designs. The one I bought from WOBB to test things out is the Cada 'Starbucks' one which is bigger than the ones I've had from Ali etc before and has a light kit so looking forward to that, and I am tempted by the not-Cyberpunk 2077 stuff too as those designs seem fun.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

The Nightmare Before Christmas set is awesome but the telephone box is the lamest thing I've seen since the $250 micro-foosball table. What the gently caress... why the gently caress? Lego REALLY needs to revamp their nomination system, this is a huge waste of everyone's time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vote with your dollars then, they can't all be zingers.

If I had any nostalgia at all for british phone booths I'd buy it because the submission build is pretty well done.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

If I had any nostalgia at all for british phone booths I'd buy it because the submission build is pretty well done.

If it comes with a 'Piss Spray' for accuracy of British phone booths, I'm in.
Also tiny cards offering up prostitution services inside.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Now we're talking! Another solid choice for a UK nostalgia set would be a sinking ship.

E: don't get me wrong, for what it's trying to be it's very well done, but it's just so freaking lame.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 8, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Given lego's tendency to sneak in turds and assholes these days, piss stains are a very real possibility.

Make half the floor dark grey and maybe one corner in reddish brown.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Phone booth looks like a GWP. The other is just going to encourage even more crappy other peoples IP sets. Terrible results from this review.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think the best ones in that block got made into sets anyways (there's an Indiana Jones leak and a The Great Wave came out) There's some others I would have prefered but I feel that the the whole group was just weak. IDK. GWP phone booth is fine if true but no I won't be putting out money for these.

In the next block for the summer there's a lot of good ones so maybe it's for the best from my wallet's prospective.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
There was a point in time where I bought every ideas set because it felt special and cool, and then I stopped when they kept licensing and releasing tv show sets and I've never looked back.

The scale of that phone booth is way bigger than a GWP would be, I can easily see Lego charging like $100 USD for it lmao (current ideas version is 1856 pieces) lololol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Vote with your dollars then, they can't all be zingers.

the set is well done, it just feels supremely uninspired. reminds me of the double decker bus they threw out a year or so ago.

nightmare before christmas set is cool looking and probably is a neat build, but yeah tired of the IP creep.

idk, some of the best ideas sets have been stuff like the fender guitar (although stringing it kinda sucked), the typewriter, starry night, and the piano. the blacksmith, saturn rocket, lighthouse etc are a little less truly inspired, but also excellent sets. gimme some more stuff in that vein

i definitely agree there needs to be some revamp for this system because the whiplash in the quality of the ideas sets can be jarring. stuff like the globe, ship in a bottle, and fooseball should've been canned in development once they realized what the For Sale version would look like. and then a good 50% of the ideas sets as a whole are someone else's IPs

idk, i'm browsing the ideas page and see poo poo like this and wonder why it's either not at 10k supports, or hasn't been expedited to the front of the line

Borsche69 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 8, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The voting system is absolutely flawed, if you check out names on the sets that make it to review there's a few people that get 2-3 submissions approved for review every round. They know how to game the voting and it shows.

But I think the lego review itself generally makes for pretty good sets. Obviously some are duds but the hit rate is excellent.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Well you see how a lot of these ideas set translate into bricklink designer programs and they SUCK. so regardless of the voting and criteria they use, Lego still tries to produce things that will sell.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I don’t think IDEAS reviewed sets can become GWPs based on the current rules. The ones that have been GWPs are all pulled from the competitions, not the regular voting.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean there’s still some good stuff sometimes. A-frame cabin just came out and it’s amazing.

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is literally what my friend who went to uni in the UK said when I told him about this, lol

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 8, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Borsche69 posted:

i definitely agree there needs to be some revamp for this system because the whiplash in the quality of the ideas sets can be jarring. stuff like the globe, ship in a bottle, and fooseball should've been canned in development once they realized what the For Sale version would look like. and then a good 50% of the ideas sets as a whole are someone else's IPs
What was wrong with the globe? Too many gaps?

I think the ship in a bottle looks good. It's smaller than original model but it uses much larger transparent pieces making it easier to see the ship (which is also much more sturdily attached).

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I actually like that Nightmare Before Christmas idea, I'll be curious to see how they design it to make sure the tower has enough stability.

I noticed that a Polaroid was in that same batch, am I imagining things or was there not a Polaroid set of some kind that made it through recently?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/vintage-camera-5006911
It was a Gift with Purchase.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Borsche69 posted:

idk, i'm browsing the ideas page and see poo poo like this and wonder why it's either not at 10k supports, or hasn't been expedited to the front of the line

These are incredible!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was wrong with the globe? Too many gaps?

I think the ship in a bottle looks good. It's smaller than original model but it uses much larger transparent pieces making it easier to see the ship (which is also much more sturdily attached).

Yeah the gaps just feel awful. The continents need a lot more thought put into them also

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

w00tazn posted:

Well you see how a lot of these ideas set translate into bricklink designer programs and they SUCK. so regardless of the voting and criteria they use, Lego still tries to produce things that will sell.

I like the vignette within the Travel Suitcase but I don't need the external shell.

Also, seeing the Modular Arcade use the keys from the Typewriter as a marquee makes me wish the JAZZCLUB did the same. Very classy.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It looks like the ones that I've tried from Scotties are on WOBB too at similar prices but no shipping fee, so hopefully that'll cover most of my bases. Yeah sounds like we have similar taste, I like the little vendors that feel like unique items for the Japanese and Chinese markets that aren't just cribbed from Lego designs. The one I bought from WOBB to test things out is the Cada 'Starbucks' one which is bigger than the ones I've had from Ali etc before and has a light kit so looking forward to that, and I am tempted by the not-Cyberpunk 2077 stuff too as those designs seem fun.

Both of those are awesome sets and pretty decent quality as alt brands go, I don't think you'll regret it!

man I have so much of these to build, I basically spent all of pandemic on aliexpress

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Love the phone box, it will fit nicely into my Lego London collection.

While I get why you may say it seems bland, I think you underestimate how iconic the phone boxes are to tourists. Lego probably made a good choice, this might become a very popular set all across Europe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The phone box feels like something they could have done in-house but it's a good idea for a set.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I could see it being sold in tourist shops in the UK for as long as lego wants to print it.

Like the space needle was all over Seattle for years. And probably all the other architect sets near whatever was being depicted.

edit - I feel like I made this exact post for the double decker bus.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hopper posted:

Love the phone box, it will fit nicely into my Lego London collection.

While I get why you may say it seems bland, I think you underestimate how iconic the phone boxes are to tourists. Lego probably made a good choice, this might become a very popular set all across Europe.

You say that now, but when it gets released it will have morphed into a Doctor Who IP set where it’s a blue police box that unfolds into a life-size bust of David Tennant and it will inexplicably be on the shelves for years at a $350 price point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

You say that now, but when it gets released it will have morphed into a Doctor Who IP set where it’s a blue police box that unfolds into a life-size bust of David Tennant and it will inexplicably be on the shelves for years at a $350 price point.

Can you post a link to where I can pre-order this set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

I would be sad, because I'd love the set but ~250€ is where I draw the line when it comes to buying a bunch of plastic bricks.