Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

You get real touchy when someone calls you out on this.

Your job seems to be to brew? And you didn't do that because of a missing hose that you could have bought?

I mean, I get it, but also we're only getting one side of this so we can't read the room. I'm sure you have all kinds of words to explain all of this and how you were right, and that's okay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My dude, microbacterial contamination at any single step of the brewing cycle ruins weeks of work.

A hose, hot water, and a -sterilized way to transfer liquids to the next step- are basically mandatory to the process.

Same similiar reason a meat department in every grocery store and butcher needs a hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

My dude, microbacterial contamination at any single step of the brewing cycle ruins weeks of work.

A hose, hot water, and a -sterilized way to transfer liquids to the next step- are basically mandatory to the process.

Same similiar reason a meat department in every grocery store and butcher needs a hose.

As much as I hate to defend the guy, this was a garden hose used for cleanup and filling buckets for sanitizer and stuff.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Escape From Noise posted:

As much as I hate to defend the guy, this was a garden hose used for cleanup and filling buckets for sanitizer and stuff.

Still need to it to do the cleaning

poo poo food production is so much cleaning and so little actual food

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

as the wrong kind of computer toucher, are there one-way distro lists?

didn't see this answered, but the easiest way to do this is put the entire dirsto list in the BCC field

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yesterday I tried to compliment my project engineer for creating a specific and actionable plan to resolve an issue and when I said "if we can get these all to come home then I think this discussion is over" and he started bullshitting about characterizing and capturing lessons learned and blah blag blah.

It's his default "I don't have a plan but I disagree" speech.

I can't wait to hang him out to dry for a couple months when my baby gets here.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

champagne posting posted:

poo poo food production

Aramark popping up in a buncha threads lately

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

This is like MBA 501 tier poo poo. "So you've been hired to manage a group." The naive undergrad answer is 'learn how each person does their jobs, learn the needs of the business and the pain points on your team, then work to resolve them'. The correct answer is 'make friends with your boss and boss' boss, go golfing with them when you can, make sure your team has several places you can shuffle blame, promise whatever you can as long as the delivery time is far enough away that you can get promoted before it's due.'

Advanced topics on the subject include 'constructive termination', 'how to gaslight and harass employees the legal way' and 'how to tell your team the 3% raise was the best you could do'.
*Twitch*

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

cynic posted:

My team did a minor fuckup, fixed it in 15 minutes, but during that time someone complained directly to the CEO so now I have to spend a whole day writing a report for the CTO so he can explain to the CEO why this happened and how we will prevent it happening again.

Ugh this is definitely my least favorite thing about my field as well. Many of the bosses need to justify their existence and so any time a minor snafu is observed it becomes some sort of exercise in how we can all prevent it from ever happening again, and huge unwieldy policy changes are made to try and prevent simple issues that just need to be delegated.

Drives me bonkers bc it wastes so much of everyone's time and the boss's idea is usually so unhinged from the realities of production it causes a host of new problems. So often we end up back where we started because there was a reason for it to be that way, you just need to be doing your jobs and making sure every step happens, bosses!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ugh this is definitely my least favorite thing about my field as well. Many of the bosses need to justify their existence and so any time a minor snafu is observed it becomes some sort of exercise in how we can all prevent it from ever happening again, and huge unwieldy policy changes are made to try and prevent simple issues that just need to be delegated.

Drives me bonkers bc it wastes so much of everyone's time and the boss's idea is usually so unhinged from the realities of production it causes a host of new problems. So often we end up back where we started because there was a reason for it to be that way, you just need to be doing your jobs and making sure every step happens, bosses!

The problem here is that someone entirely jumped the chain of command (maybe 3 levels of management) to go to the head honcho. She delegated it back down my own chain which is proper and normally fine, but in this context it's just stupid and my own management would prefer to pass back a bigass report than just say 'it wasn't a problem, the system involved will be gone by the time you read this, you get paid way, way too much to take direct complaints from some random middle manager with well known self entitlement issues'

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I sold my portion of the company to the other co-owners, quit, and got a new job. It owns. I start Monday.

I've been contacted 7 times since my quit date (Friday) despite leaving copious handoffs and training people for two months. They have my consulting fees and they're more than willing to pay them but it's going to be on my time if I decide to consult. I wrote handbooks with everything step by step that I do. If they can't be bothered to read them and didn't internalize it over the years I had been there, or the months of training, that's on them. Hire several people to do what I did 80-100 hours a week, see if I care.

I did all of the corporate sales, I managed people, I did all the purchasing, I did formulation and testing, I even fuckin ran lathes and did, until we hired warehouse folks, shipping, receiving, stocking/moving. I handled the carrier relationships. I did accounts payable and receivable. I handled credit and collections. I handled new vendor outreach, negotiation and onboarding.

The warehouse guys walked out yesterday because of frustration. I get it. They are now applying for jobs through the university which I have zero doubt they'll get. They're all smart kids with excellent work ethic and I'm happy to be among their references.

And for the thread: sometimes a poo poo job is just a poo poo job. If the company survives, good. I hope it does. If it doesn't then they should've thought about that instead of "wow she'll do everything for us eternally."

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also if you own a business and offer rock bottom pay with no benefits, do not be surprised when someone uses a cool title to get a way better job elsewhere.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Holland Oates posted:

Also if you own a business and offer rock bottom pay with no benefits, do not be surprised when someone uses a cool title to get a way better job elsewhere.

People don't expect that? I thought that was the whole purpose of the cool title as a carrot? As in, I'm getting paid gently caress all but you're going to give me a title and experience way above the pay grade, with the understanding that this has value because I can leverage it into a better job in the future.

I mean, buyer beware with that, some weird title like "Chief Waffle Officer" might not open doors and if you don't actually have the experience or chops to jump to the next rung you might not get hired to begin with. Getting called the COO doesn't help if your resume basically tells people you were a warehouse manager. But still, title that will get you a better job down the road in lieu of pay today is the general outline of the deal.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
We hired someone to implement some HR type stuff and made them the Director of Sexual Assault Prevention at age approximately 22 right out of college. Always have to hold back from asking if their salary is the same as the other directors, who are very few and highly placed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A friend was complaining to me the other day about her boss telling her that her new role didn't have a job title and she could make one up. Apparently she saw this as a troubling lack of structure rather than an excuse to puff up her importance in the future.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goatface posted:

A friend was complaining to me the other day about her boss telling her that her new role didn't have a job title and she could make one up. Apparently she saw this as a troubling lack of structure rather than an excuse to puff up her importance in the future.

It's kind of a porque no los dos situation. It's both an opportunity to get your resume inflated, but it also indicates structural management and organization problems.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's working for a charity, so she really should be used to that.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

:haibrow: I"d have to guess this isn't your friends first rodeo. Anywhere that let me make up my own job title also expected me to do literally everything.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like we may have managed to get an outside sale! :toot: I dropped by with a sample at the end of my day. They said they liked it (but who knows what they really think???). I guess they also liked that it was pink and cherry blossoms might be blooming in about a month? We'll see!

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

slurm posted:

We hired someone to implement some HR type stuff and made them the Director of Sexual Assault Prevention at age approximately 22 right out of college. Always have to hold back from asking if their salary is the same as the other directors, who are very few and highly placed.

So, why the gently caress did your company need to make a specific role for this?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

TheSpartacus posted:

So, why the gently caress did your company need to make a specific role for this?

There was a really strange series of events that led to a very high-level regulatory focus on this. The title wasn't quite that stark but it was close to it and the role was focused on it. I just checked and it's changed to something more bland just this month, but sadly it's been lowered to the level below "director".

Edit: I think the company actually handled this pretty well and the person they hired has been handling all the compliance stuff admirably, the initial ridiculous title is the only thing fitting this thread. I would still love to know their salary.

slurm fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 9, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

YeahTubaMike posted:

With every passing day, I get increasingly annoyed at execs and/or people who didn't get laid off talking about how their company "made a difficult decision" to lay people off. Like, no it wasn't, lol.
Have a little heart for their profit line.

If 10 people making $10 each is good, 100 people making $10 each is better. If those extra 90 people aren't making the extra $10 that's an organizational failure and laying them off is laying off the dream of massive profits.

Need a :thermidor:say emote

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao we're a week ahead of where we're supposed to be in the shutdown of manufacturing, firmly entering "so we're gonna start having mandatory days to take no pay or pto" territory.
I kinda wanted to save all my PTO to get paid an extra week+ on top of my severance but it looks like I'm gonna have to burn it all AND take a bunch of no-pays.
Nobody is going to work on Sunday, though, get to watch Rihanna use all the poo poo I made and get paid for it I guess.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cyrano4747 posted:

People don't expect that? I thought that was the whole purpose of the cool title as a carrot? As in, I'm getting paid gently caress all but you're going to give me a title and experience way above the pay grade, with the understanding that this has value because I can leverage it into a better job in the future.

I mean, buyer beware with that, some weird title like "Chief Waffle Officer" might not open doors and if you don't actually have the experience or chops to jump to the next rung you might not get hired to begin with. Getting called the COO doesn't help if your resume basically tells people you were a warehouse manager. But still, title that will get you a better job down the road in lieu of pay today is the general outline of the deal.

You would think, but the shocked Pikachu faces when I said "by the way, I'm going to be leaving in 2 months, and this is my more than generous notice that I'll be selling my interest. I'm not required to notify you, but I am required to tell you that I'm not required to notify you, so. Buy me out please, so I don't sell to the highest bidder."

"But who will do--" that is absolutely not my issue, since y'all didn't let us hire people in order to inflate your bottom line.

ETA: I am walking into a real actual factual directorship and it rules.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Management doesn’t know which countries we support, but when it comes to planning Disney vacations they’re like Kevin on the Office being able to do mental math only when the units are pies. Time of year to go, resort proximity/perks, ride openings & line strategies, it’s kinda impressive.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Holland Oates posted:

You would think, but the shocked Pikachu faces when I said "by the way, I'm going to be leaving in 2 months, and this is my more than generous notice that I'll be selling my interest. I'm not required to notify you, but I am required to tell you that I'm not required to notify you, so. Buy me out please, so I don't sell to the highest bidder."

ETA: I am walking into a real actual factual directorship and it rules.

I also sold my stake, gave several months notice, resigned my VP and BOD positions, and took a peon-level job at a smaller firm.

Sooo much better. My boss will call and ask "how would you have handled this at previous company" and I can just do a phone shrug "that's not my role anymore and I don't miss the stress level." It is great.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Holland Oates posted:

"But we're family!"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

slurm posted:

This reminds me of when I worked at an old job and interacted with someone whose job title was like "Vice President of Intestinal Disease and Waterborne Illness"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cheesus posted:

"But we're family!"

And just like a family you develop talent, quit and eventually take an equity position in a new one.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cthulu Carl posted:

This reminds me of when I worked at an old job and interacted with someone whose job title was like "Vice President of Intestinal Disease and Waterborne Illness"

Definitely not going to eat or drink anything they give me

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Motronic posted:

If I had a sweet job where I got to gently caress off and make my own schedule most of the time I'd sure make sure I got the main parts right on time like the brewing.

But also, like I already said, you always have an answer. Like this. "Oh yeah lol, I was just saying I didn't do poo poo but ackshually I did that brew on time"

Not clear what you're looking for with your posting since you have to roll it back so often every time you get called out. ("You do realize I don't address my bosses and coworkers the same way I post on a thread for venting about work, right?" is yet another example).

It's totally cool to bitch about work, but you're both prolific and not really believable so you're gonna get called out.

Are you the dumb poo poo your work does?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

pumped up for school posted:

I also sold my stake, gave several months notice, resigned my VP and BOD positions, and took a peon-level job at a smaller firm.

Sooo much better. My boss will call and ask "how would you have handled this at previous company" and I can just do a phone shrug "that's not my role anymore and I don't miss the stress level." It is great.

God it's gonna fuckin own to not be everyone's boss and responsible for ensuring that literally everything and everyone is addressed properly before they even need anything done.

Imagine loving clocking out for an entire weekend. What the gently caress, I haven't done that in thirty years.

Cheesus posted:

"But we're family!"

Barudak posted:

And just like a family you develop talent, quit and eventually take an equity position in a new one.

It's this.

Also because I had to stop myself from selling because I was getting up to go to work at 3am to build pallets to ship out because my warehouse folks were all university students and athletes, and they weren't able to work full time.

My salary doubled. Lol. For less work. What a loving world.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Machai posted:

Are you the dumb poo poo your work does?

I'm fairly certain Motronic is, actually, since I'm pretty sure they're:
  1. An employer.
  2. A landlord.
  3. A total prick around 50% of the time they post, minimum.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 9, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm fairly certain Motronic is, actually, since I'm pretty sure they're:
  1. An employer.
  2. A landlord.
  3. A total prick around 50% of the time they post, minimum.

Pretty sure he's posted elsewhere about how he basically won the startup IPO lotto and got the gently caress out. Don't think he's a landlord.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty sure he's posted elsewhere about how he basically won the startup IPO lotto and got the gently caress out. Don't think he's a landlord.

Then I take that, specifically, back. :colbert:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Brewery related question, in Redmond, WA there seem to be an oddly large number of breweries such as Black Raven & Mac & Jack. Some have decent locations with a restaurant but others are crammed into office parks. Was wondering why the city would have so many, is it likely bored tech guys retired at 40 and starting a business? Or do some cities have zoning laws that would make them attractive? It seemed odd as Redmond has ridiculous property values so would think they’d be more concentrated in nearby rural areas.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tech dudes love starting a hobby brewery.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Holland Oates posted:

You would think, but the shocked Pikachu faces when I said "by the way, I'm going to be leaving in 2 months, and this is my more than generous notice that I'll be selling my interest.

I gave my last job a one week notice and regret nothing, lol

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Johnny Truant posted:

I gave my last job a one week notice and regret nothing, lol

I really wanted to, but I was trying to be nice to the warehouse folks and the people that didn't make my life hell.

Lesson learned, next time gently caress it, lol.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Had an interview yesterday and absolutely killed it. This job is a 10 minute commute, has way more interesting and high-profile work, and would be a $30k raise. Lets hope things pan out, I cannot wait to hand in my notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Brewery related question, in Redmond, WA there seem to be an oddly large number of breweries such as Black Raven & Mac & Jack. Some have decent locations with a restaurant but others are crammed into office parks. Was wondering why the city would have so many, is it likely bored tech guys retired at 40 and starting a business? Or do some cities have zoning laws that would make them attractive? It seemed odd as Redmond has ridiculous property values so would think they’d be more concentrated in nearby rural areas.

If it's anything like my city rent is like 1/4 of normal commerical spaces so people think they can make something happen.