Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

TheHan posted:

Without Yuji who else will Sukuna torment?

This is genuinely a reason just from the sheer level of rear end in a top hat Sukuna has been in every single interaction and I hope this is how it pans out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
All of this could have been avoided if
  • Yuji was told about binding vows and/or did not agree to anything Sukuna said, rhetorical or not.
  • Megumi listened to Yuji's warning about being in the same colony with each other.
Nonetheless, we are finally getting the payoff; obviously Sukuna was always interested in Megumi's curse technique, and he finally got it!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Sorcerors on team good dropping like flies left and right because they aren't selfish enough/put their trust in others/are too sentimental, etc. Good qualities to have to be a Good Person but not necessarily to be a Good Jujutsu sorcerer.

Gojo, an enlightened mortal probably the closest to transcendent beings like Sukuna/Tengan, is trapped in a tiny box forever because he values his friendship and memories with Geto. Plus, he didn't disintegrate the body to be respectful of the dead, enabling Kenjaku to attain what appears to be The Perfect Vessel in who knows how many hundreds of years and letting him enable The Perfect Plan at the Perfect Moment in History. Nice.

Special grade sorcerer and top-tier compatibility as an avatar for the transcendent being Tengan, Yuki, trusted said transcendent being too much and did not go for a domain expansion vs domain expansion battle with Kenjaku, opting for a simple domain which got obliterated instantly. Sure, she probably would have lost in the domain fight anyways since the more "refined" domain is supposed to win, but that's the point of being a Jujutsu sorcerer!! Even Sukuna does it; put your life on the line and go all out!! Gamble (You Will Always Win)!!! She went for the bunt instead of swinging for the fences and died (???) alone.

Megumi translates to blessings. Maybe if he had followed through on Gojo's criticism of being too self-sacrificing and changed his mindset towards a more self-centred one, like spending more time selfishly developing his technique (his blessing) and less time worrying about saving others, he wouldn't have had this momentary lapse and been able to stop Sukuna from stealing his gift. The 10 Shadows is said to be on the same level as Gojo's limitless/infinity. This might not have happened if Megumi's mentality wasn't in shock from the betrayal. But then again, this is after days (weeks?) of constant physical and psychological stress, being left to fend for themselves after the loss of the all-reliable Gojo, probably something inconceivable a few months prior, and this unexpected twist occurred right when they thought they were ahead. Plus, if Megumi weren't Megumi, he'd probably be like the other Zenin pricks.

Yuji is also partially at fault for his self-sacrificing and kind nature by not considering himself as part of the binding vow. Sure, it's also because he wasn't taught how vows work, but his instinct was to exclude himself, which Sukuna exploited. Sukuna tore out Yuji's heart and held it hostage during their first interaction, you'd think he would remember something like that, but Yuji's too trusting by nature. I think Gege also mentioned that Megumi was the actual heroine of the story (Megumi confirmed dead for sure!!!!) since he always needed rescuing from Yuji. Let's see how that plays out!!

Yuta is hyped as the sorcerer of this era that is second only to Gojo in unusual abilities but he was also criticized for the same reasons above. He hasn't revealed all of his cards yet, but we know he's incredibly powerful solely from the fact that apparently, the more vague your technique is, the more hosed up/op poo poo it can do? He has a domain expansion, how does it interact with a technique like Copy + he can store far more techniques than Kenjaku's 4, which was giving a special grade like Yuki an incredibly difficult time. But even with all of that, he might be able to give Kenjaku a run for his money, but definitely not a 10-shadows wielding Sukuna. Plus, he's lost his protagonist privileges, Gege will definitely use him as an example to demonstrate how powerful one of the op bad guys is.

but hey, this is a shonen, so the theme of jjk isn't only bad things will happen if you put your faith in others. You can see the positive ripple effects/karma of Gojo/Megumi/Yuji's philosophy of saving others through people like Angel and whatever awesome thing the lawyer dude will do when he shows up again. Lifes hard and we should help each other regardless of whether there any immediate benefit <- lets see how gege will show this if he can stick the ending since he's said he wants to end the series within a year

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The power of friendship is a double edged sword. Unfortunately in this series it also cuts both ways on a regular basis.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

yum posted:

but hey, this is a shonen, so the theme of jjk isn't only bad things will happen if you put your faith in others. You can see the positive ripple effects/karma of Gojo/Megumi/Yuji's philosophy of saving others through people like Angel and whatever awesome thing the lawyer dude will do when he shows up again. Lifes hard and we should help each other regardless of whether there any immediate benefit <- lets see how gege will show this if he can stick the ending since he's said he wants to end the series within a year

Oh, is it really going to end within the year? That's fewer than 50 chapters to go hmm (fewer if he takes more breaks)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Things look absolutely hosed right now so if there's ever a time for Nobara to come back and use some soul-fuckery to save Megumi, it's now

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Resonance does seem like a potentially very appropriate ability given the curse history now shared by Yuji and Megumi. Whether Yuji would be cool with being Pinheaded is another matter, I guess.

Or maybe it would have something to do with the fingers. What happened after Yuji swallowed them? They just sitting there like chewing gum or did they get digested? Do the metabolites circulating in his bloodstream still carry something of Sukuna's curse energy?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Lily Catts posted:

Oh, is it really going to end within the year? That's fewer than 50 chapters to go hmm (fewer if he takes more breaks)

Yeah, it's a super fast pace, especially when you consider how long the Shibuya arc was

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-12-17/gege-akutami-hints-at-jujutsu-kaisen-manga-ending-probably-within-1-year/.193064

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So obviously the Megumi/Sukuna thing is more than just “you seem like a powerful host” but incarnated Sukuna can summon mahoraga at any time, defeat it, and potentially tame it. Which is concerning.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So obviously the Megumi/Sukuna thing is more than just “you seem like a powerful host” but incarnated Sukuna can summon mahoraga at any time, defeat it, and potentially tame it. Which is concerning.

There's something more to the 10 Shadow than just Mahoraga, since it's based on Japanese mythology like the 3 treasures which Sukuna recognized. The 10 Shadows is the Zenin clan's most treasured technique, Naobato appointed Megumi the clan head after his death based solely on that alone and they've never even met.

The 3 big Jujutsu families are supposed to be descended from the 3 great vengeful spirits. The Zenin's equivalent would be Taira no Masakado, who was known as a sorceress who rode a giant toad and could control giant skeleton yokais called gashadokoru.

(from reddit)

You can see the backbone of a giant skeleton in Megumi's incomplete domain. There's something extremely powerful hidden in the 10 Shadows system that's not just Mahoraga. Besides, while Sukuna was impressed with Mahoraga, he defeated it fairly easily, so I don't think that's the main reason why he covets it.

There's also this hint from the anime. This wasn't included in the manga, but Gege was consulted for this. You can see a gashadokoru in the book of cursed spirits Mahito was reading when talking to... that guy he killed to piss off Yuji, I forget his name lol

Sukuna gains the techniques of cursed objects by eating them, which explains why he's known as a cannibal. Cursed objects are some body part of a deceased sorcerer and are imbued with their technique. The objects also contain some remnant of their soul, since soul = body. This is proven by seeing how the ancient sorcerers in the culling game are reincarnated and from how Mai turned herself into a sword. Sukuna is a divine being who has full knowledge of his soul, meaning he overwrites opposing soul information, extracting solely the technique.

The question is, how and where does he store these techniques, given we know the limitations of the brain? Must be something to do with his tattoos and "open".

This is probably why he favours Uraume. Gege mentioned that Uraume was skilled at "preparing food", meaning they must be an expert at creating cursed objects out of body parts.

I guess in this case the cannibal is making others eat parts of him though lol

yum fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 8, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well him gaining techniques from eating is just a theory.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

yum posted:

Mahito was reading when talking to... that guy he killed to piss off Yuji, I forget his name lol

That was Junpei.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm rereading the manga as, like others, I lost track of the details during the latest arc. I was checking the wiki for something and noticed that the next chapter is called Fearsome Womb part 5 - part 4 is chapter 9, where Sukuna beats the poo poo out of Megumi, asks him why he ran from the Special grade and Yuji "dies." Not a surprise or anything but pretty much a confirmation about what's happening.

edit: is there any consensus on what Itadori's cursed technique might be? the way the same language is used when he fights both Choso and Todo is clearly intentional but I wonder where the story will go with it

Tosk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 9, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tosk posted:

I'm rereading the manga as, like others, I lost track of the details during the latest arc. I was checking the wiki for something and noticed that the next chapter is called Fearsome Womb part 5 - part 4 is chapter 9, where Sukuna beats the poo poo out of Megumi, asks him why he ran from the Special grade and Yuji "dies." Not a surprise or anything but pretty much a confirmation about what's happening.

edit: is there any consensus on what Itadori's cursed technique might be? the way the same language is used when he fights both Choso and Todo is clearly intentional but I wonder where the story will go with it

I think that was a fakeout to get people to speculate that Itadori's technique was implanting false memories in people's heads. Wayyyy back at the beginning of the series Gojo mentions that he would inherit Sukuna's technique someday, but idk if they dropped that plotline or not, it's never really come up since.

Personally, since his mom's technique was anti-gravity, I think his technique may have something to do with that. Maybe he's been unintentionally putting himself under DBZ style gravity training his whole life and been completely unaware of it, which is why he's so drat strong.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I think that was a fakeout to get people to speculate that Itadori's technique was implanting false memories in people's heads. Wayyyy back at the beginning of the series Gojo mentions that he would inherit Sukuna's technique someday, but idk if they dropped that plotline or not, it's never really come up since.

Personally, since his mom's technique was anti-gravity, I think his technique may have something to do with that. Maybe he's been unintentionally putting himself under DBZ style gravity training his whole life and been completely unaware of it, which is why he's so drat strong.

Was that confirmed it was his moms technique?

Eitherway I’d still put my money on that technique or any technique Kenjaku has tbqh

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

The memory thing wound up just being fan speculation if I remember correctly as Gege went on in an interview that he never realized how the situation with Todo and Choze looked that way until after the fact.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Oh really? Lmao if so then that's hilarious, I hadn't even considered it wasn't intentional because it seemed like such an obvious parallel.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
IMO it feels like Yuji was born with some sort of heavenly restriction that exchanged his innate technique for something

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Was that confirmed it was his moms technique?

Eitherway I’d still put my money on that technique or any technique Kenjaku has tbqh

Kenjaku reveals it was Yuji’s mom’s tech after he cheesed his way outta the last battle.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheHan posted:

Kenjaku reveals it was Yuji’s mom’s tech after he cheesed his way outta the last battle.

I completely missed that but yup he say it clear as day.

Might be time for a reread of the culling game arc at least

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've read JJK twice and I still don't feel like I quite understand what's going on with Yuji's mother, Kenjaku, and the cursed womb paintings

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kenjaku is yuji's mother and he also made the death womb paintings

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tosk posted:

Itadori does not have a Cursed Technique.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

unless he does, its fiction and the author can just do whatever they want

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

kenjaku is yuji's mother and he also made the death womb paintings

so to be clear, is it that Yuji's mother was a woman in modern times that was bodyjacked and then conceived and gave birth to Yuji, or is it that Kenjaku bodyjacked the woman who gave birth to the death womb paintings and they stayed in that body until the modern age, or what permutation of this is what happened

I think I have a misconception somewhere that's loving my whole perception up lol

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

unless he does, its fiction and the author can just do whatever they want

True it could suddenly happen. Though it would be a notable retcon, as Gojo states he does not have one and Gojo's Six Eyes can scan Cursed Techniques. And Higuruma's Technique takes away his opponents Cursed Technique but explicitly took away Yuji's Cursed Energy cause he did not have one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so to be clear, is it that Yuji's mother was a woman in modern times that was bodyjacked and then conceived and gave birth to Yuji, or is it that Kenjaku bodyjacked the woman who gave birth to the death womb paintings and they stayed in that body until the modern age, or what permutation of this is what happened

I think I have a misconception somewhere that's loving my whole perception up lol

The former. Kenjaku as Noritoshi Kamo created the Cursed Womb Death Paintings by having a Cursed Spirit impregnate a woman 9 times (due to some ability the lady had), and he also mixed his blood into it giving the Death Paintings their connection to the Kamo Clan and the Blood Techniques. Kenjaku in the Modern Era then bodyjacked a lady who conceived and gave birth to Yuji.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's nothing strictly stopping him from somehow developing one due to outside factors but it seems pretty unlikely and not happening at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

There's nothing strictly stopping him from somehow developing one due to outside factors but it seems pretty unlikely and not happening at this point.

Well other than the fact you are born with one or not. Only the "Sukuna's technique can engrave on your body" thing is left, but it has never come up again.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

unless something unexpected happens here in the endgame arc while gods are moving around and the country is being hypercharged with ghost juice

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wait, so did Kenjaku bodyjack Yuji's mom and then have sex and go through pregnancy?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kenjaku getting dicked down?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Anything for science and progress. Even if it means doggy style.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If we take Kenjaku at his word then that whole thing was for shits and giggles too

Dude felt like getting dicked down one day

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jerkface posted:

Wait, so did Kenjaku bodyjack Yuji's mom and then have sex and go through pregnancy?

Yes. Go back and read the flashback with yujis dad and grandpa, it's very clear.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
yuji’s dad got supernatural dick game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

If we take Kenjaku at his word then that whole thing was for shits and giggles too

hell

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

JJK does not pull punches on "oh you thought it was bad, no its def way worse"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CharlestonJew posted:

I mean, that's a realistic use case of bodyjacking powers for most people anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5631/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-213?&date=10-2-2023-3