Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SpartanIvy posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. This was just to transport them to/from a friend's bachelor party by plane. I tore up the foam into little pieces and used it as packing material for like a year afterwards lol

:blastu:

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Really, Ryobi?

Thank you, DeWalt.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

:negative:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Really, Ryobi?

Thank you, DeWalt.

Lol these are good photos to use for a product review

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Really, Ryobi?

Thank you, DeWalt.

What’s the dewalt tool to the left?

That Works posted:

Lol these are good photos to use for a product review

A play in three acts

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Looks a lot like a dcl050 work light https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcl050/20v-max-led-hand-held-area-light-tool-only?tid=577586

Possibly my most used dewalt tool too

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dr. Despair posted:

Looks a lot like a dcl050 work light https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcl050/20v-max-led-hand-held-area-light-tool-only?tid=577586

I put off spend $$ on this for so long and yes it probably the most used Dewalt tool in my house.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I got the two power stacks with free bare tool at Lowe's the other day, I was really short on DeWalt batteries and didn't need huge capacity ones so it seems to meet my needs so far.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

slurm posted:

I got the two power stacks with free bare tool at Lowe's the other day, I was really short on DeWalt batteries and didn't need huge capacity ones so it seems to meet my needs so far.

The power stack has been great for me. I just did about 700' of base with the brad nailer and only had to charge it once, about 75% through the project. Small and light was perfect for that job.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Despair posted:

Yep, you nailed it.

I use it so much it’s wild. Our family did a road trip and I brought it along in case I had to change a tire in the dark or some poo poo. Turns out, the whole town’s power went out for like 4 hours, so we used it as a light for our hotel room while we waited.

Pretty sure it was included as a throw in for some big set of DeWalt tool starter pack that was on sale years ago and turns out it’s one of my most-used tools.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Slapping I giant 12ah flexvolt on it while I do electrical work is great.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

wandler20 posted:

The power stack has been great for me. I just did about 700' of base with the brad nailer and only had to charge it once, about 75% through the project. Small and light was perfect for that job.

Is the brad nailer what I'd want for quarter round? And then a finish nailer for baseboards and bigger moldings?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

slurm posted:

Is the brad nailer what I'd want for quarter round? And then a finish nailer for baseboards and bigger moldings?

The brad nailer would be what you want for all of those, technically a brad nail is a finish nailer too but tools called "finish nailers" typically use 15ga or 16ga finish nails as opposed to 18ga brads. 15ga and 16g are typically used for trim on the exterior of a house whereas brads will be used for nearly everything inside.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 11, 2023

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Yep, you nailed it.

I use it so much it’s wild. Our family did a road trip and I brought it along in case I had to change a tire in the dark or some poo poo. Turns out, the whole town’s power went out for like 4 hours, so we used it as a light for our hotel room while we waited.

Pretty sure it was included as a throw in for some big set of DeWalt tool starter pack that was on sale years ago and turns out it’s one of my most-used tools.

Part of the DCL050 gang as well. Really like mine. Used it yesterday in the attic and hung it off the rafters with the hook. I also like the DCE511 fan, the newer version (DCE512) doesn’t let you plug AC in, but that was pretty helpful this weekend with a sewer backup and having that fan blow for hours.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

slurm posted:

That's how I'd go (and went for 30+ years). A brad nailer is typically 18 ga., perfect for tiny quarter round; while a fatter wire 15 or 16 is used for trim, baseboard, etc.

Elem7 posted:

The brad nailer would be what you want for all of those, technically a brad nail is a finish nailer too but tools called "finish nailers" typically use 15ga or 16ga finish nails as opposed to 18ga brads. 15ga and 16g are typically used for trim on the exterior of a house whereas brads will be used for nearly everything inside.

disagree here. You use galvanized clip head or round head nails on exterior trim, etc. Rain, you know.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's how I'd go (and went for 30+ years). A brad nailer is typically 18 ga., perfect for tiny quarter round; while a fatter wire 15 or 16 is used for trim, baseboard, etc.

disagree here. You use galvanized clip head or round head nails on exterior trim, etc. Rain, you know.

15/16ga is a pretty big nail hole, we only use them for installing pre-hung doors. 18ga for trim, + construction adhesive for baseboards, +/- 23ga for mitered corners

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Y'all use liquid nail on residential baseboard installs? Never seen that before.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rufio posted:

Y'all use liquid nail on residential baseboard installs? Never seen that before.

I've seen it and then I had to fix the drywall when I removed the baseboards later to update the flooring.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

CommonShore posted:

I've seen it and then I had to fix the drywall when I removed the baseboards later to update the flooring.

Right. Coming from a remodel background, all I can think is how much I'd be cussing the installers when pulling them. Painters love fixing poo poo real low too

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rufio posted:

lovely contractors have been gluing things that shouldn't be glued for as long as there have been adhesives. It's fast, the homeowner doesn't know and/or doesn't know why they should care, etc. It's yet another pitfall when hiring anyone to do work, you often don't know what you're going to get and on the timescales involved they're long gone by the time you remodel and find this or 4 years later when your full bathroom reno starts to fall apart......

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

15/16ga is a pretty big nail hole, we only use them for installing pre-hung doors.

That's how people did it for hundreds of years and it worked just fine.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The fewer and smaller the nail holes I need to fill and finish, the happier I am

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Also, tool light gang, the Milwaukee M12 Rover Service and Repair Floodlight 2367-20 is pretty helpful. The light head swivels and the back is magnetic, plus it has a USB A port for charging stuff.

Here affixed to the metal roof of the shed I’m assembling stuff in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rufio posted:

For actual baseboard? No. For vinyl molding? Yes.

Edit: Wait, I've glued little pieces of baseboard before that were too small to nail without cracking, now that I think about it.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 11, 2023

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
You don't have to use an actual construction adhesive like liquid nails either, brads + silicone sealant should hold in most cases and be relatively easy to remove.

Speaking of weird uses for construction adhesive, windows, some, but not all, of my original windows in my 1980s house had construction adhesive used in addition to fasteners. To add to the weirdness it varied even within the same room, one window would be in with just fasteners + spray foam and a window right next to it would also have adhesive. Window installers had use recip saws and crowbars to remove those ones.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 11, 2023

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Rufio posted:

Right. Coming from a remodel background, all I can think is how much I'd be cussing the installers when pulling them. Painters love fixing poo poo real low too

Claiming the next guy will fix it is another mediocre contractor thing. Drywall guys and carpenters love to say oh the painter will fix that (my lovely work).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elem7 posted:

You don't have to use an actual construction adhesive like liquid nails either, brads + silicone sealant should hold in most cases and be relatively easy to remove.

Speaking of weird uses for construction adhesive, windows, some, but not all, of my original windows in my 1980s house had construction adhesive used in addition to fasteners. To add to the weirdness it varied even within the same room, one window would be in with just fasteners + spray foam and a window right next to it would also have adhesive. Window installers had use recip saws and crowbars to remove those ones.

Silicone? Hope you never need to paint anything it touches again.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elem7 posted:

This convo reminded me of a builder (this is like 40-45 years ago) who used to demand his trim carpenters glue door trim, baseboard, everything as well as nailing it. And for some reason, I even remembered his name, even though I never met the guy. Conrad Case.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

sharkytm posted:

Silicone? Hope you never need to paint anything it touches again.
I also hope he never has to paint the backside of his trim.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Slugworth posted:

I also hope he never has to paint the backside of his trim.

This sounds like some bizarre curse / proverb

May the sun shine on your face, the wind be at your back and that you never paint the backside of your trim

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I dragged my ancient 6" Craftsman jointer out of its dust-collecting corner to joint some pine boards for some shelves I'm building. Before I started I cleaned and waxed the table surface and set the fence to 90*. The goal was to put a 90* non-crooked edge on one side so I could run them through the table saw and get straight boards of consistent width.

It was dangerous, made an enormous mess and it honestly did a lovely job. And it was a slow process. The boards were long and pretty crooked to start with, so the jointer needed a ton of passes to get in the ballpark of having straight edges.

So I quit and used my fancy new Makita cordless track saw. Holy poo poo that thing is nice. Perfect straight cuts at 90*, excellent dust collection, and the machine did its job in one pass per board without the feeling I was going to end the day without my fingertips.

The only bummer was that the dust collection hose was pretty obtrusive. The ridges on it kept getting snagged on edges. Good thing the track saw does not mind at all if I release the trigger, back up, move the hose around, and then turn the saw back on to resume the cut.

I have a lunchbox planer as well. If I make a sled for it I can joint board faces as well.

The jointer is going up on FB Marketplace today. gently caress that huge, heavy, dangerous, one-trick pony. Now that I think of it, I could have been using a straight edge and my router to joint edges this whole time without the fancy track saw. The router does make a huge mess like the jointer.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

PBCrunch posted:

The only bummer was that the dust collection hose was pretty obtrusive. The ridges on it kept getting snagged on edges.

Anyone have a recommendation for a hose without any ridges that's fairly flexible actually? I also find this incredibly annoying anytime I'm using my track saw or sander, as a result I often skip using a collector when doing small sanding jobs which I really shouldn't.

I haven't had much luck searching on my own, the fabric covered Festool hoses look promising but I haven't seen them available to buy on their own for anything less than ridiculous prices.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Elem7 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a hose without any ridges that's fairly flexible actually? I also find this incredibly annoying anytime I'm using my track saw or sander, as a result I often skip using a collector when doing small sanding jobs which I really shouldn't.

I haven't had much luck searching on my own, the fabric covered Festool hoses look promising but I haven't seen them available to buy on their own for anything less than ridiculous prices.

You could try getting some hose sleeving for your current hoses, I'd be interested to see if that gives you any good results.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Perfect straight cuts at 90*, excellent dust collection, and the machine did its job in one pass per board without the feeling I was going to end the day without my fingertips.

Fun fact. My dad's middle finger is not his longest finger on one hand due to one of these things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looking at buying a laser level. Are the consumer units like ryobi, skill, green bosch worth buying?

I also found someone locally wanting to sell a used unit like this for 130€, I don't know if this is a quality brand or not, gonna look into it now, but maybe someone recognizes it.
https://hornbach.de/shop/Rotationslaser-Laserliner-selbstnivellierend-AutoSmart-Laser-100-Set/8637687/artikel.html

This unit doesn't create a visible line (I guess?), but uses a receiver, I think I would prefer a visible line, but I am reading the units with receivers, which I gather are more old school have longer ranges.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 14, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looking at buying a laser level. Are the consumer units like ryobi, skill, green bosch worth buying?

I also found someone locally wanting to sell a used unit like this for 130€, I don't know if this is a quality brand or not, gonna look into it now, but maybe someone recognizes it.
https://hornbach.de/shop/Rotationslaser-Laserliner-selbstnivellierend-AutoSmart-Laser-100-Set/8637687/artikel.html

This unit doesn't create a visible line (I guess?), but uses a receiver, I think I would prefer a visible line, but I am reading the units with receivers, which I gather are more old school have longer ranges.

Different lasers are for different things. You need to be a lot more specific about what you're trying to do with one.

The one you linked looks like a rotary laser. I have a large one that I use as a transit/for grading/leveling soil or laying out sites. I also have a green cross laser for building/finish work indoors. They are in no way interchangeable.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I don't know poo poo about lasers and the terminology, just googling a bit today increased my knowledge twofold or more from what it was when I posted that. I've worked with bubble levels and string levels before. Bubble levels work but I'd like to make my life easier.

This is for foundation work, building & levelling concrete forms, I will need to do some concrete plinths foundations, grading and setting pavers. Stuff like that, outdoors and getting things level (or the right amount of slope), indoor work not so much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is for foundation work, building & levelling concrete forms, I will need to do some concrete plinths foundations, grading and setting pavers. Stuff like that, outdoors and getting things level (or the right amount of slope), indoor work not so much.

You need a rotary laser and all the poo poo that goes along with that. I use a Bosch GRL1000: https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/rotary-lasers-grl1000-20hvk-199723-p/

It's essentially the laser replacement for an old school transit and level stick.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I don't know poo poo about lasers and the terminology, just googling a bit today increased my knowledge twofold or more from what it was when I posted that. I've worked with bubble levels and string levels before. Bubble levels work but I'd like to make my life easier.

I thought it was important to get the name brand laser level, and I have zero complaints w my Bosch 3 plane level (price notwithstanding) but an electrician I work with uses some no-name level he got off Amazon for like $60 bucks and loves it.

I’d say look for one that’s rechargeable, at the least. Dealing w AAs or AAAs in this day and age is annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Lowes has 36” Jorgensen Parallel Clamps on sale for $35

I have started going down the vacuum cleaner rabbit hole. Between Miele and Sebo this might get really expensive.