Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

At this point all I can do is laugh.
Maybe this is an elaborate ruse but that's just being hopeful

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol at the chapter title

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Every time you think it can’t get worse for the characters, Gege doubles down and makes them suffer even more

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Here's how they can still win... (1/3651)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

Here's how they can still win... (1/3651)

Look, if cannibalism got them into this mess, then cannibalism is the best way to get out of it. It's basic common sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have no idea where this is going.

Maybe the comedian guy will save the day.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

At this point, maybe Sukuna will just free Gojo when he's done with the rest of the world and wants to see if he can beat him.

Right before the battle with Kenjaku, Yuko was talking with Tengen about how she herself could have been a vessel for him. I can't help but wonder if that's gonna come back for a gotcha or if it will just be a red herring.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
:stare: that Nue

I want to see Sukuna's rabbit escape

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gojo pointed out that Yuji doesn't seem to have an innate technique but he says that Sukuna's technique would imprint itself in his body. Dunno if that's still relevant.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
From bad, to worse, to skyscraper-sized Nue

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I have no idea where this is going.

Maybe the comedian guy will save the day.

I think given his mindset he's more likely to just stall but the issue comes down to his reaction time since Sukuna's slashing attacks, which he should still have access too, are not visible to anyone and can be deployed without any indication of their usage. Like when he merked those two girls from Geto's camp in the subway. Takaba would literally not know what hit him

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
1) I still think that Yuji is definitely getting a cursed technique and I haven't discounted the idea that implanting memories could still be some part of it (though probably not the main mechanism). I don't buy for a second that Gege didn't see the similarity. Or it might turn out that Todo is his brother too, I guess. It feels inevitable that he returns, even if he doesn't have boogie woogie.

I don't think it will be cleave/dismantle because that tech is way too op (and frankly, mechanically uninteresting) to be used regularly. Its power is mostly just a way for Sukuna to gruesomely murder people in service to the story beats.

A Toji esque heavenly restriction is also possible but the whole "techniques will imprint on Yuji" thing doesn't feel like a dropped plot point at all. Gege has a giant boner for bringing back stuff that was mentioned early in the series. The only question is how/what.

Also Yuji is male so the odds that he'll be tossed aside is statistically a lot lower (kinda joking, kinda not). The story is mechanically much weaker if he dies or becomes useless, even though a major plot element of JJK is that life is suffering and bad things happen to good people.

The other thing is the whole "Yuji hunting Mahito like a predator" thing that seems to suggest that Yuji has a particularly active "bad side" that may rival Sukuna's or be a result of him imprinting himself on Yuji. That's a very unexplored and spicy plot point that would be really cool if it came back later, and imo it's more evidence for the idea that he'll imprint Sukuna's techniques and possibly behavior going forward.

---------

2) I'm really skeptical that JJK will end this year. Talk about killing the golden goose... of course Japan is generally more capable of doing that than, say, American media, but still. JJK feels like it has tons of meat left on the bones and we're supposed to believe all of the plot points will resolve this year? I refuse to believe that. Though, I do think there's a high chance of a new manga starting based on the golden era of JJK, so he may pivot into that. Gege has also introduced so many characters that there is simply zero way that all of those characters can pay off narratively in the timeline he's set for himself.

If he can tie up even a third of the loose ends he's accumulated by eoy I will be loving amazed. And I desperately hope that we aren't going to end up with a Lost situation where he just ends it and admits that he had no intention of tying anything up.

If he did intend to end JJK in this manner, he should have left about half of the characters out of the story, because in a world where JJK ends this year, they are just impediments to a tight, cohesive story (though admittedly Gege seems to have no problems making his stories loving impossible to understand, and heavily bloated, if the rules of the culling game are any indication).

Regardless the fact remains that if JJK ends this year it will be the biggest intentional destruction of a successful IP possibly ever. I think it either keeps going, or Gege works backwards and basically constructs the entire golden age of Jujutsu narrative from scratch with a new parallel series or even fleshes out the entire thousand year period from the golden era to current timeline.

The only thing that gives me pause is that the culling games arc is written extremely poorly. So it's possible that Gege backed himself into a corner and just wants to end it soon. I hope that's not the case, but I don't think I've EVER seen as big of a whiff as the mechanical underpinnings of how the culling games work. Calling it "too complex" is the understatement of the year. It's some of the most intentionally convoluted writing I've ever seen in my life (especially since it's just an excuse to have tons of fights!!!) and it's hard to believe that he actually intended it to go that way but here we are.

I Still love JJK but it's just difficult to see how Gege ties all of the character and narrative beats together... and if he just makes the fireworks happen and ends the story, I guess that's ok, but I really hope he tries to stick it out and fix all of the poo poo that be broke during the Culling Games.

JJK is in my top 3 manga ever alongside Hunter x Hunter and Re Zero (haha I know, shut up). It deserves a lot more love than it's been getting. If Gege wanted to completely rewrite the culling games arc through chapter 211, I wouldn't blame him and would totally stick around for that.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 10, 2023

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wouldnt put it past him to say "jjk is ending" and then its just a 'sequel' series that's a direct continuation under a different name

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Jujutsu Kaippuuden

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jujujutsu Kaisen

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Well, Gege has had several health issues stemming from overwork which is why he sometimes takes a week off/hiatuses. He's greatly influenced by Tite Kubo of Bleach, so he's pretty salient on the whole manga-series-declining-due-to-author-overworking thing.

I'm in the camp of Yuji not developing a technique. As noted by Choso, Yuji's specialty is his control of cursed energy, such as the ability to perform black flash almost as if on command, in addition to his monstrous physical strength. It's this hybrid aspect that separates him from Maki/Toji, who rely solely on physical ability with 0 cursed energy. This does put a ceiling on his capabilities though, at least according to the bird-strike lady, but you can become pretty powerful without a technique like the Kyoto new shadow style sword teacher. I feel it'll be whatever Kenjaku did to Yuji before birth + his familial history (where did he learn that ancient martial art? why did Kenjaku choose to infiltrate Yuji's family?) that brings him up to level.

I interpreted that predator bit as Yuji's continuing descent into his belief that he's nothing but a tool for destroying cursed spirits. He feels guilty about the deaths he indirectly caused due to his connection with Sukuna and as pertinence, believes he doesn't deserve to live. Yuji's focus on ending Mahito was a reflection of his continuing loss of humanity in favour of this mindset

edit: jjk is one of my favourite series too even with its many flaws. I remember being so disappointed with Bleach because of how shallow it was... jjk is the opposite of that in some aspects. It does share a lot of the same problems though.

yum fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 10, 2023

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if he can survive this, I'm interested in seeing Yuji with a new lease on life and new goals since Sukuna isn't in him anymore

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yuji gonna pull a Kuwabara and dropout completely and just hang out with Todo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Well thats gone badly.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Well thats gone badly.

Just wait, I'm sure it can get worse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yuji looks like his spleen is coming out of his mouth in the panel where Sukuna punches him. Very painful looking punch!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ChaseSP posted:

Just wait, I'm sure it can get worse.

Im counting on it :sickos:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Sukuna-Megumi hitting Gojo tiers of immaculate drip

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

desperate for the homies to have at least one solid "W" in the column

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I am in the camp of no-technique-yuji, but the whole “soul” thing gets brought up a bunch so maybe something soul related. Yes, he technically had 2 in him, but it gets brought up enough that I feel it’s more than that. I bet if he has something resembling a cursed technique, it’s soul related. It’s never FULLY been explained why he’s so strong or why he can suppress sukuna. There’s something there, especially since it’s confirmed his mom had a technique.

Also, having the main character of the series have a “not-true-cursed-technique-exception with a deep explanation” feels very JJK

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 10, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

yuji is dead now, who cares about his cursed technique, sukuna punched him in his organs!!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Yuuji’s innate cursed energy skill and absurd physical ability mean that he’s going to be perfect as a vessel for resonance. Nobara will come back and be jamming nails and whatnot into Yuuji, which will in turn affect Sukuna and/or Kenjaku.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
oh also I really really hope Angel comes out on top next chapter, cause otherwise her treatment would leave a lovely taste in my mouth. she’s barely had a chapter of screentime and her Megumi obsession was shoved in SO late and clumsily it literally did nothing for her character and just served to set up this scene.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Gege telling us she's no replacement for Nobara and immediately killing her 2 chapters later

classic

Caros
May 14, 2008

yum posted:

Well, Gege has had several health issues stemming from overwork which is why he sometimes takes a week off/hiatuses. He's greatly influenced by Tite Kubo of Bleach, so he's pretty salient on the whole manga-series-declining-due-to-author-overworking thing.

I'm in the camp of Yuji not developing a technique. As noted by Choso, Yuji's specialty is his control of cursed energy, such as the ability to perform black flash almost as if on command, in addition to his monstrous physical strength. It's this hybrid aspect that separates him from Maki/Toji, who rely solely on physical ability with 0 cursed energy. This does put a ceiling on his capabilities though, at least according to the bird-strike lady, but you can become pretty powerful without a technique like the Kyoto new shadow style sword teacher. I feel it'll be whatever Kenjaku did to Yuji before birth + his familial history (where did he learn that ancient martial art? why did Kenjaku choose to infiltrate Yuji's family?) that brings him up to level.

I interpreted that predator bit as Yuji's continuing descent into his belief that he's nothing but a tool for destroying cursed spirits. He feels guilty about the deaths he indirectly caused due to his connection with Sukuna and as pertinence, believes he doesn't deserve to live. Yuji's focus on ending Mahito was a reflection of his continuing loss of humanity in favour of this mindset

edit: jjk is one of my favourite series too even with its many flaws. I remember being so disappointed with Bleach because of how shallow it was... jjk is the opposite of that in some aspects. It does share a lot of the same problems though.

The single weirdest thing about bleach was catching up on the post series novels that explain the backstory of the final villain.

Long and the short is that yhwach is the son of the soul king (which we knew in series) and is pissed off at soul society because the king isn't really a 'king'.

He was a super powerful and quite good dude running around murdering the poo poo out of hollows back when the concept of death didn't exist and the universe was wonky. Ichibe and the noble houses captured him, dismembered him and used what remained as the focal point to create and sustain the system of life and death in the three main realms.

That after the fact note changes the entire character of both of the major series villains and their reasons for acting and it is loving wild that it never got mentioned on screen in the main material.

lih
May 15, 2013

we also don't even know what sukuna's cursed technique actually is to begin with, he's shown a slashing powers and a fire power but it's been implied that neither is his actual technique

it wouldn't surprise me if yuji does end up with sukuna's technique despite no longer being possessed by him, but some weird convoluted thing that's technically not a technique does seem like a pretty likely outcome. kenjaku does seem to be responsible for yuji's general peculiarities so some other weirdness relating to that that kenjaku didn't expect seems pretty fitting

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lih posted:

we also don't even know what sukuna's cursed technique actually is to begin with, he's shown a slashing powers and a fire power but it's been implied that neither is his actual technique

it wouldn't surprise me if yuji does end up with sukuna's technique despite no longer being possessed by him, but some weird convoluted thing that's technically not a technique does seem like a pretty likely outcome. kenjaku does seem to be responsible for yuji's general peculiarities so some other weirdness relating to that that kenjaku didn't expect seems pretty fitting

Didn't someone suggest it's related to cooking? Seems to fit, even if it's a little goofy (and it's not clear to me how cooking is connected to some profound human fear that would cause a cursed spirit to have great power).

If you really want to stretch I guess you could say it's related to the fear of hunger.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it would be really funny if yuji got sukuna's technique and sukuna doesnt have it anymore

he moved out of the house too fast and left the furniture

lih
May 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't someone suggest it's related to cooking? Seems to fit, even if it's a little goofy (and it's not clear to me how cooking is connected to some profound human fear that would cause a cursed spirit to have great power).

If you really want to stretch I guess you could say it's related to the fear of hunger.

the theory that i'm familiar with is that he can gain the cursed techniques of others by eating their corpses, something like that (probably with some convoluted limitations etc.)

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

lih posted:

the theory that i'm familiar with is that he can gain the cursed techniques of others by eating their corpses, something like that (probably with some convoluted limitations etc.)

He gains abilities by eating flesh thanks to his cursed technique. He puts himself in other bodies by feeding himself to other people, a literal reverse curse technique.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Sukuna was originally a human from 1000 years ago so his cursed technique isn't tied to human fear like a cursed spirit. He looks down on cursed spirits, even ones as powerful as Jogo.

To add to that, Sukuna was a human who turned himself into a cursed object (20 of em infact). What separates him apart from other sorcerers-turned-cursed-objects is that he's able to retain some limited degree of autonomy as well as consciousness - probably tied to his understanding of his soul. I believe this is tied to Buddhist/Hindu mythology, as a transcendent being, death no longer holds any meaning, so he can die or reincarnate whenever they choose to, including being able to reincarnate into inanimate objects e.g. a stone or a piece of wood that is worshipped.

I think the theory is that he's able to steal techniques by consuming cursed objects, not just any random body part, so some preparation has to be done beforehand through whatever mechanism turns sorcerers into cursed objects, hence the connection to cooking.

Scanslations from Jump GIGA 2022 Autumn issue providing more information about the 3 Great Families + a Q&A from Gege

Source: https://twitter.com/Lightning446/status/1585728522634424320?s=20

edit: and lol at that Bleach explanation... that's wild. What a mess. This industry really grinds up mangakas, I hope more of them adopt the artist + writer setup, that seems to be a decent way to balance planning and thinking of a coherent long-term story while still maintaining great art. Either that or switch to a bi-weekly release schedule or something.

yum fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 11, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lih posted:

Funnily enough I think Yuta has the same power. He gained the naked sky lady's technique after Rika bit her severed arm

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

Funnily enough I think Yuta has the same power. He gained the naked sky lady's technique after Rika bit her severed arm

Missed that thought he was just copying her like he was Kakashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Official Version
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-213/chapter/26334?action=read