Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Infinity Pool is good, not great- I feel it's hurt a little by the protagonist being such a hapless idiot for most of it, and there's a portion of the film where it's just sorta hammering on the theme of everyone being depraved assholes. Skarsgård and Mia Goth are both quite good though, and it looks great with some interesting shot choices here and there, a lot of deliberately odd compositions with people's heads way off to the side and the like. Not quite as tight as Possessor but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What are you guys' favorite 80s rock song from/written for a horror movie?

I like Alice Cooper's Man Behind the Mask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe1Tdkuw1Ks

But the best one is actually Dokken's Dream Warriors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLPhZvcBpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZBBS5jrgY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cocaine Clown

Starring art

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

Cocaine Clown

Starring art

Blatant gimmick infringement against Doctor Rockzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_L-QdgytQ

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
White Christmas

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Cenobite but on cocaine.

WEhavesuchsighstoshowyouWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cenobite but on cocaine.

WEhavesuchsighstoshowyouWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHO WANTS SOME PAIN! I HAVE SO MUCH PAIN HERE *sweats uncontrollably*

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

WHY DIDNT I GET THIS AT THAT NIGHTCLUB

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
NAILS! SOOOO GOOD NO WAIT HOW ABOUT WAIT THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND TO A NEW LEVEL HOW ABOUT NAILS BUT THE POINTY BITS POINT OUT!
AND WOOOH! YEAH! WE NEED SOME RAZORWIRE YOU LIKE RAZORWIRE I LIKE RAZORWIRE YOU NEVER CAN GET SOME DECENT RAZORWIRE
HOOKS! LETS GO GET SOME HOOKS

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Watched a movie call Ghost Lab on Netflix last night. What a strange watch. Good movie, just not what I necessarily wanted or expected. It sells itself as kind of a light hearted, Ghostbusters-esque premise of two doctors (one skeptic and one believer) seeing a ghost for realsies in their hospital one night. The skeptic immediately switches over to the believer and decides to aid him in his quest to prove to all humanity that ghosts exist. Cool premise, played with some humor. Then at about the 1/3 mark of the movie the skeptic's mom, who he has been caring for years, dies and he decides to kill himself to further the study by "coming back" to help his buddy prove ghosts existence. Turns out though, he can't do it and the believer doc just ices himself in front of his friend. This cements the cold open where the two docs are on stage in front of the world as a dream of the surviving character. The movie then turns into this really dark examination of obsession and belief and how far someone will go to achieve their goals. It gets dark. I don't really want to talk about the ending too much but I think the movie managed to stick the landing despite how loving off the reservation it went.

The movie has some weird tonal issues like a lot of Asian films (it's a Thai production) but codifies its really dark themes in the final half. Overall a really good watch with some unexpected weight. Definitely not what I expected though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

No idea what it's about but this is a hell of a teaser for Donald Glover's new Amazon show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKxYKhSjZc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Ya know, I don't think it has, I'll have to double check my list when I'm not on mobile

Following up on this, Phantom of the Paradise has not been movie of the month!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
It should be! I almost picked it when it was my turn a few years ago but ended up going with Exorcist III instead.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zachack posted:

It's been a while but I can confirm:

https://youtu.be/Z4bLsRazPVw?t=16

Dang, I vaguely remembered that there was an Alf cartoon, but not at all that it was one of those animesque ones that got farmed out to a studio in Japan

In retrospect that shouldn't be too much of a surprise because so many 80s cartoons were like that including the big ticket stuff like Ghostbusters, Transformers, and Inspector Gadget

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 10, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

No idea what it's about but this is a hell of a teaser for Donald Glover's new Amazon show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKxYKhSjZc

:stare: well, I'm sold

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah that looks neat

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently it's about celebrity obsession and is loosely based on people's obsession with Beyonce (the b-hive/swarm). Yes please!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sweet, that looks awesome. Donald Glover rules, some of the best episodes of Atlanta already flirt with horror and I can't wait to see a full-on horror project he's involved with.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So Pearl has finally got a UK release date of the 17th March, followed one week later by Infinity Pool - it's officially Mia Goth fortnight. Pearl is also showing as a Cineworld Unlimited screening on the 13th, including at my smaller local, but it remains to be seen if IP gets a full release - I don't believe Possessor ever did.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Carpet posted:

Infinity Pool ... full release

Put this on the drat poster

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

What was the result of this? I don't wanna double vote

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

54.1% Yeah
45.9% Naw

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
How many votes?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

40 to 34, so not a huge amount for a flash poll, but that's probably our number of 'regulars' on any given day in the thread.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Works for me was just curious. Thanks!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i thought from everything i heard that i would hate Skinamarink but i ended up loving it

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Works for me was just curious. Thanks!

No. Not acceptable. How the gently caress dare you, MZ.

jk love you boo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

54.1% Yeah
45.9% Naw

This tracks with the informal polling I've done with my irl spook-a-doodle crew.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Skinamarink reminds me of a Rothko painting. It requires a lot of projection on the part of the viewer. The people who are affected by it are rewarded by a deeply entrancing and rewarding experience and everyone else is just left with a whole lot of nothing

Funny because I love Rothko (I have a small print of one on my bedroom wall) and I thought Skinamarink was a loving stupid waste of time for all the reasons that have been expressed by those who also got nothing from it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will say this: Skinamarink, for me, is the movie that’s come closest to recapturing the magic of The Blair Witch Project. But like The Blair Witch Project, the knockoffs are gonna be baaaaaaaaad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sono posted:

NOES 3, but instead of the dream suppressor, Nancy's just like "Hey, kids. Let's snort a bunch of coke and never sleep."

Now I'm remembering a NOES comic where Freddy found a serial killer who idolized him and decided to send him after a teen who had been spending three days doing nothing but meth and searching through mystic books for a solution to stop Freddy.

I forgot the context, but it led to a bit where Freddy went into another killer's dreams and the guy excitedly said he was a huge fan. Freddy's reaction was, "I'm getting that a lot these days. ...the gently caress is wrong with people?"

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
There’s definitely a school of thought that believes the scariest possible thing is to have absolutely no idea what’s going on, and I’m not sure I fall into that camp

I guess I’m saying I have very ambivalent feelings about The Outwaters

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Started watching Skinamarink at home with my wife last weekend and we had to stop about fifty minutes in because she was fading and it wasn't doing much for me at the time. I started it over a few days later by myself in a dark room with headphones on, and it managed to get under my skin pretty good. I completely understand anyone who doesn't like it, and their reasons for not liking it are (for the most part) totally valid, but I have to wonder how much the setting you watch it in impacts your feelings on it. I also had seen a screenshot of the eyes in the dark before watching it, so part of it was almost certainly due to me being on edge, not knowing when that was going to pop up.

I suspect that anyone who hears that it's the scariest movie of the (time period) is going to be disappointed with it. That's true of just about any movie, though-- I was talking to someone who was super pumped for Barbarian and had watched the trailer a bunch of times, and then when I asked her about it later she told me that she didn't like it at all. I loved it, but I went in pretty blind.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Benito Cereno posted:

There’s definitely a school of thought that believes the scariest possible thing is to have absolutely no idea what’s going on, and I’m not sure I fall into that camp

I guess I’m saying I have very ambivalent feelings about The Outwaters

I'm the headmaster of this school.

I think when we think of the things that scare us - really scare us - you can almost always boil it down to the unknown. An uncertainty of what is happening, or why.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm the headmaster of this school.

I think when we think of the things that scare us - really scare us - you can almost always boil it down to the unknown. An uncertainty of what is happening, or why.

To be clear, an element of the unknown is definitely necessary for horror to work and I’m by no means asking for everything to be explained, but there are movies that could not give a gently caress about throwing a brother a whiff of context. The reason the uncanny/unheimlich is so unsettling is because it introduces elements of the unfamiliar into a familiar context. There are long stretches of The Outwaters where I would be hard pressed to tell you the temporal or causal relationship between one frame and the next. Which, again, I understand that sense of overwhelming disorientation appeals to some people, I’m just not sure I’m the audience for it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah i cant stand HP Lovecraft bc its always like "he opened the door and what he saw so so scary tbh i cant even describe it bro like its beyond comprehension you wouldnt even get it"

like i am much more scared of a dude in a hockey mask chasing me with a machete than i am a haunted wall.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A lot of The Outwaters is a guy running around babbling incoherently in the absolute pitch-black darkness and occasionally seeing part of a tentacle or someone's feet, which started to wear out its welcome after about twenty minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think there are a lot of callbacks in The Outwaters that would warrant a repeat viewing or two, and it really worked for me. Like Skinamarink it's a lot of vibes but unlike Skinamarink it gives you some nice goop and I think more of a payoff. At least, I was intrigued by what was causing everything and I really think there's an explanation buried in there somewhere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:siren: Something in the Dirt is on Hulu :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

yeah i cant stand HP Lovecraft bc its always like "he opened the door and what he saw so so scary tbh i cant even describe it bro like its beyond comprehension you wouldnt even get it"

like i am much more scared of a dude in a hockey mask chasing me with a machete than i am a haunted wall.

You'd like at least a few episodes of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix. You get both! In the first episode, literally. Well, it isn't wearing a mask