Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Gorn Myson posted:

Gave up on them after the rave reviews of Line of Duty, a show made up entirely of robots who endlessly barked police rules and procedure at each other while investigating an expertly trained, well funded paramilitary group that was responsible for all the crimes.
I tried to find a 'prestige' show finale where the consensus was negative. The only one I've found so far is the final episode of Sherlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I don't think there was any more of the teacher and his wife plot in s3 than there was murderer cop and the serial killer in s2. I liked the series 2 plot better though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The main TLR/Catherine plotline was awesome, and genuinely heart wrenching at its conclusion, but yeah, it still kind of amazes me that a big flagship show like this can be so clumsy with its side plots. They must have had enough time to write and produce it to figure out how to fit everything they needed to into the six hours... But obviously not I guess.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Every year the apprentice gets worse and every year I keep coming back.

Also, I didnt rewind to check but did one of the people they were pitching to this week describe himself as The chief executive of the motorcycle industry ?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tea Bone posted:

Also, I didnt rewind to check but did one of the people they were pitching to this week describe himself as The chief executive of the motorcycle industry ?

Yes! What the hell was that about??

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

I loving love The Apprentice and live for this kind of poo poo, in many ways it's a drat shame that one of the UK's, if not the world's, most horrific cunts is the face of it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
there is only one true king of motorcycles and it is this man

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

crispix posted:

there is only one true king of motorcycles and it is this man

God, remember Pickle?

fuckin Pickle

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64563839

Oh man, I can't help but worry that someone wished on a monkey paw to cause this. I'd love it to be good, but the chance of that is what, 10%? And otherwise the nation will have to go back and pick a new "perfect sitcom" to put on the pedestal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Less than 1%, it’s going to be loving awful and full of him whining about woke people or whatever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heavy_D posted:

Oh man, I can't help but worry that someone wished on a monkey paw to cause this. I'd love it to be good, but the chance of that is what, 10%? And otherwise the nation will have to go back and pick a new "perfect sitcom" to put on the pedestal.

It's going to be terrible, and Cleese is going to blame the wokerati when no one watches it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Heavy_D posted:

I notice none of the articles mention who would broadcast this. My guess is that it wouldn't be the BBC, so probably a streamer, but nothing seems very concreate in what I've read. I'm sure someone would buy it, but Cleese seems like such a prick, I doubt this will ever happen.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I genuinely hope he, well...not dies, but suffers some sort of life changing accident before he is able to make this.

John Cleese is very much a "was once a very funny man, now up there with Piers Morgan in terms of people I wouldn't get tired of punching in the face" kind of person

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 8, 2023

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Heavy_D posted:

They already did that it's called Only Fools and Horses

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mickolution posted:

I notice none of the articles mention who would broadcast this. My guess is that it wouldn't be the BBC, so probably a streamer, but nothing seems very concreate in what I've read. I'm sure someone would buy it, but Cleese seems like such a prick, I doubt this will ever happen.

somehow I assumed it would be Dave. probably since they endlessly repeat the originals and like the Red Dwarf revival.
but you're right, no channel mentioned. would be funny if no-one did and they ended up self publishing on Youtube or some shite.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BBC runs UKTV, who own Dave, so it would technically be a BBC production if so.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

somehow I assumed it would be Dave. probably since they endlessly repeat the originals and like the Red Dwarf revival.
but you're right, no channel mentioned. would be funny if no-one did and they ended up self publishing on Youtube or some shite.

Hadn't considered Dave. Could they afford it or pay more than Netflix/Amazon, though? Same goes for Britbox, though I have no idea how much money they have behind them. I imagine he would want a decent amount of money for doing it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Has his daughter done anything of note? I didn't even know she existed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

goatface posted:

Has his daughter done anything of note? I didn't even know she existed.

Looks like she's just a middling American standup comedian.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably GB News will make their first foray into scripted material with this one

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So her dad, one of the most influential comedians of the 20th century, can't make her, a comedian, a household name? Pretty poor attempt at the nepobaby thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nobody was asking for it and it is sadly going to suck.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

HopperUK posted:

God, remember Pickle?

fuckin Pickle

Better than Majida, at least

The fact I knew her name without having to Google it first is a worrying indication of how many times i've re-watched Knightmare as an adult

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It'll be like modern dilbert - where the put upon poo poo character who hates everything and the show used to roast is suddenly the embattled hero against the world of the Woke
His daughter says poo poo about people being woke too

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

eating only apples posted:

I don't think there was any more of the teacher and his wife plot in s3 than there was murderer cop and the serial killer in s2. I liked the series 2 plot better though.

The series 2 finale wraps up everything except the murderer cop with 30 minutes left. Not quite 'oh yeah boss we caught that lad.'

Channel 5 have ghoulishly fast tracked a programme about Nicola Bulley to air tomorrow evening.

And Reece the lip licker from The Apprentice quit over health reasons apparently.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just caught up on Happy Valley and I thought it was great. You're all wrong.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coming in a year late to say I'm also mad about the Dutch angles in the Ipcress File.

I haven't read the book in 25 years or something so I barely remember the plot, it was fine? I mean I never liked the book and I understand why they don't make the Game Set Match trilogy but it's so pointless doing those Harry Palmer books because it's like doing Le Carre and only adapting Call For The Dead or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

algebra testes posted:

Coming in a year late to say I'm also mad about the Dutch angles in the Ipcress File.

I tried watching it, but it looked (a) weirdly cheap and (b) EVERY shot was a Dutch angle?!

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The movie did a similar stylistic thing that actually becomes kind of annoying once you start seeing it everywhere.

the camera is very often viewing the action through a window, or through glass, or some other sort of frame

But I have no idea why that series looked as cheap as it did. I stopped watching because it just felt like I was watching something on CBBC, couldn't take it seriously.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
We've just started watching Marie Antoinette. Seems pretty fun so far , has that same off kilter wooziness that The Favourite had (unsurprising given its lineage), and the cast are great.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Heavy_D posted:

i hope he chokes to death on scampi before this can be filmed

i'd be kinder to him really

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Heavy_D posted:

The new Manuel is going to be Albanian.

You know it 'could' work if Fawlty is the new version of the Major from the old series. Going senile, racist as gently caress, and the 'new' Basil trying to stop him.
Or maybe not.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lovely old man

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

The new Manuel is going to be Albanian.

You know it 'could' work if Fawlty is the new version of the Major from the old series. Going senile, racist as gently caress, and the 'new' Basil trying to stop him.
Or maybe not.

Absolutely 0 chance. Fawlty as written is basically Cleese now, he's undergone full Scott Adamsification.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Started the new Alan Partridge live show on Prime. Got about a third of the way through and turned it off. It wasn't particularly funny, in fact actively awkward at times, and AP in an arena just creates too much cognitive dissonance for me.

He's definitely at his best in the small confines of a sitcom, as almost all comedic characters are.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

algebra testes posted:

I haven't read the book in 25 years or something so I barely remember the plot, it was fine? I mean I never liked the book and I understand why they don't make the Game Set Match trilogy but it's so pointless doing those Harry Palmer books because it's like doing Le Carre and only adapting Call For The Dead or something.

For the longest time Tarantino talked about doing the Game Set Match trilogy. He has Robert Forster reading one of them in JACKIE BROWN. I assume the reason it's never come to frution is some rights issues. There's a 1988 adaptation of the books with Ian Holm as Samson. It's...fine? The Granada TV look is the biggest slight against it, and there's some truly dreadful ADR going on. There's whole scenes where any time Holm is on camera it's his glum face and when it's not he's delivering his lines noticably louder and clearer than the dialogue in the rest of the scene is.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

The Perfect Element posted:

Started the new Alan Partridge live show on Prime. Got about a third of the way through and turned it off. It wasn't particularly funny, in fact actively awkward at times, and AP in an arena just creates too much cognitive dissonance for me.

He's definitely at his best in the small confines of a sitcom, as almost all comedic characters are.

Yeah we watched this on Friday, it's funny in spots but mostly a bit of a dud. The character and humour don't translate to live material very well, definitely not in an arena. The segment with the woman pulled out of the audience was painfully unfunny.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

For the longest time Tarantino talked about doing the Game Set Match trilogy. He has Robert Forster reading one of them in JACKIE BROWN. I assume the reason it's never come to frution is some rights issues. There's a 1988 adaptation of the books with Ian Holm as Samson. It's...fine? The Granada TV look is the biggest slight against it, and there's some truly dreadful ADR going on. There's whole scenes where any time Holm is on camera it's his glum face and when it's not he's delivering his lines noticably louder and clearer than the dialogue in the rest of the scene is.

My understanding from an article years ago is Deighton hated the last adaptation and personally bought the rights to stop it from going on DVD or streaming and won't let people make it again unless they promise to make all 9 or something.

Still I eagerly await Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Spy.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

That's a shame. I was at one of the live shows and it was pretty good. Certainly on the broader side of his stuff, but an enjoyable evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought it was fine. More in line with Coogan's old shows where he did a bunch of characters, but the Partridge flavour adds to it.