Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HootTheOwl posted:

The fett ship uses these pin shooters which ssuck so I ended up just putting the handles into the holes instead of making them shooty

Yeah, I'll probably just take them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I love wrapping presents.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Here's some instructions for my best bet on the mini Boba ship. I took some liberties with the bottom dark gray layer to add the engines and upper roundy bit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J8TQdV5Kr6cqin0DAKlVcjtQAWApn-Ro/view?usp=sharing

This one is just way better than the new mini boba ship, especially the shooters at the bottom

In other news my kid has ripped his xl15 buzz lightyear ship apart and I'm devastated

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 11, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The Mighty Moltres posted:

You're a good aunt or uncle. :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Sarcasm?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

mastershakeman posted:

In other news my kid has ripped his xl15 buzz lightyear ship apart and I'm devastated
Time to get your own!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sometimes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well I started doing The Thing in real life. Many months ago I started mucking around with Studio and decided to try and design a submarine. They say write what you know, so I'm building a 688 class. I got about halfway done with the front half and thought, hey maybe I should start this thing for real to see what size it might be, if it is something I can actually do, how much money it will cost, etc.

Right away I could tell it was going to be pretty good sized, which is fine. I have decided to do it as modualrly as possible for ease of building/moving/displaying. So the plan was to start with the bow dome (which was a pain in the dick to design, and not in a fun way) and three Vertical Launch Tubes. Uploaded to Bricklink, ordered the pieces and here are about 840 bricks, mostly black slopes.

I bought a lighting kit so I could look at it and see how to incorporate it into my model, which is nice because I'm doing cut aways on the sides for different compartments, and it will need some lights. Anyway got it all ready to go and realized that I didn't do a step by step instruction, which is why I asked about it a few days ago. All I had was my Studio model

When I sat down I got the bright idea to make all bricks white, then start building from the bottom and turning each brick that I used black on the model, to keep track of where I am. It sounds tedious, but once I got going it wasn't too bad.

Started it yesterday and almost immediately recognized that whoever designed this thing was an idiot. Super fragile. Like, a lot. Ran to the local Lego store and was able to secure myself some bricks from the Pick A Brick wall to help add stabililty. It wasn't ideal, but I don't have a whole lot of spare parts, and none that I needed for this. I took it back down to brick zero and started over, adding stability where I could. Worked on it more today and this is where I am now.

I have to lean it up like that because it is a little front heavy right now. I'm very much enjoying this so far and am seeing where I need to improve things for the rest of the boat. I am making it mini fig scale, so there will be three levels inside the boat with room to put some squids. Anyway I wanted to share what I'm doing and thank all of you for the help you've given while I am trying to figure this all out. If this jumps our thread into GIP, I apologize in advance.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Under the sea
Under the sea
When the hatch opens
Bricks built
submarine

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Carbohydrates posted:

Time to get your own!

I was considering giving him the $50 galaxy explorer I grabbed from Walmart and hid, but frankly I think I'll gift it to myself for my bday and then put it out of reach. Its hard not to go lord business all the time

Also that submarine is going to be rad and very big if it's minifig scale. Love it

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Time to get your own!

Still really wish that set was a bit cheaper. Looks like a great set, but feels like 10-15$ more then it should be.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So if it’s minifig scale is that like 5% finished? I’m intrigued by the cutaway thing. Sounds like a rad project. What’s your job on the boat?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

Started it yesterday and almost immediately recognized that whoever designed this thing was an idiot. Super fragile. Like, a lot. Ran to the local Lego store and was able to secure myself some bricks from the Pick A Brick wall to help add stabililty. It wasn't ideal, but I don't have a whole lot of spare parts, and none that I needed for this. I took it back down to brick zero and started over, adding stability where I could.

lol at how common this ends up being

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

So if it’s minifig scale is that like 5% finished? I’m intrigued by the cutaway thing. Sounds like a rad project. What’s your job on the boat?

Here's my initial rough draft I was working on, to give an idea of scale. The cutouts are the torpedo room, head/berthing, crew's mess and galley, SONAR and Control Room. Not sure what I will do with the engine room cutouts, probably just some generic machinery looking bits.

Gonna really pace myself because I pretty much finished the torpedo room and priced it out and it's about $200.

I am a retired SONAR Tech

Borsche69 posted:

lol at how common this ends up being

What do you mean?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They mean MOC instructions are frequently fragile as fuuuuck

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

They mean MOC instructions are frequently fragile as fuuuuck

Ah. Thanks. And to be clear, I'm the idiot designer that made it too fragile.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

Ah. Thanks. And to be clear, I'm the idiot designer that made it too fragile.

I didn’t want to be uhhh direct about it but yeah. But that’s the nature of these things and why Lego has all these crazy guidelines- it’s not easy to make a complicated model also stable enough to release as a commercial product

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

I didn’t want to be uhhh direct about it but yeah. But that’s the nature of these things and why Lego has all these crazy guidelines- it’s not easy to make a complicated model also stable enough to release as a commercial product

Oh no, trust me I realized it immediately lol. But this is also the first one I've ever done in real life, so I'm trying to be kind to myself :) I'm pretty proud of myself to be able to recognize the problem and come up with some solutions. It isn't 100% Lego quality but I will use these lessons going forward.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You think you're the first one to buy parts for just one model and realize after you bought all the bricks that actually stud.io doesn't do a good job of relaying Shakeyness?
Buddy I've only been in the thread a handful of months and do this all the time

E: sorry I'm like ten posts behind

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Definitely do a 1:1 realistic engine compartment and post it to the Warthunder forums.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You definitely realize how well official sets are engineered when you start trying to make some yourself. Fragility, over complexity, frugal parts usage, connection strength, etc.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 12, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My builds are sturdy as heck but I'd never meet lego's build standards because I'm interleaving a dozen layers of plates. The bean counters would have my head.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Grand Fromage posted:

Definitely do a 1:1 realistic engine compartment and post it to the Warthunder forums.

I've been retired almost 12 years and my last two commands were a sub repair ship and shore duty. I can draw HOW the power plant works but gently caress if I can remember the layout of the engine room if I tried.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

Oh no, trust me I realized it immediately lol. But this is also the first one I've ever done in real life, so I'm trying to be kind to myself :) I'm pretty proud of myself to be able to recognize the problem and come up with some solutions. It isn't 100% Lego quality but I will use these lessons going forward.

haha yeah, just to be clear the design does look really nice, especially at a minifig scale. i'm just laughing cause i was bitching about the fragility of moc/third party sets not even a half dozen pages back. its one of those funny design principles that Lego has perfected so well that you don't even realize they're doing it until you start loving around with stuff like this.

the cool thing especially is that these sets can actually end up being fairly rigid and secure in their finished state, so it's not a real problem when you're done. BUT its also insanely fragile during the building phase and it turns that part of it (which imo should be the most enjoyable part) into a total nightmare lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

in other news, i got the piano because i finally lost control of my life. this is a real big fuckerlord of a set. the pictures where they're pressing the keys give you a little idea of the sense of scale, but good fuckin lord its not the same.

i hope there's a dumb way of jerry rigging the play feature so that you can circumvent the app and you can add more 'playable' songs where you press a key and it plays a note. ideally getting this to work with poo poo like mario paint

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah I bought/built a BT from Titanfall 2 and it looks great but it’s frustrating because it’s fragile af and hard to pose.

I’ve been meaning to make a Lego house
in stud.io but haven’t had the inspiration.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

deoju posted:

You definitely realize how well official sets are engineered when you start trying to make some yourself. Fragility, over complexity, frugal parts usage, connection strength, etc.

I don't disagree for the most part, but I don't think I'd give Lego any credit for frugal parts usage.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of just realized that my least favorite pieces (or least interesting to me, anyway)- the pins and connector rods- are the single most important thing in making large models viable to hold without disintegrating.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EEKA GEEK posted:

I kind of just realized that my least favorite pieces (or least interesting to me, anyway)- the pins and connector rods- are the single most important thing in making large models viable to hold without disintegrating.

It's like rain on your wedding day.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bought my first two (separate) minifigs today because they had the series 23s at Kroger and I felt the wolf head in a package and have wanted that one since the moment I saw it, and also tricked myself into thinking the little elf girl's snowglobe was the top of the knight's helmet and that her orange pigtails were the knight's mask. really hoping this does not open up some deep desire inside of me to have an army of lego minis!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Just finished my first set in many many years. Now I'm looking at MOCs on Rebrickable to build some cool Lord of the Rings scenes... Until I see the cost of buying all the bricks I need :negative:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Going to be awhile before I do another big MOC. Holy cow is the experience different going through 200 little bags in random order than going through nice numbered pouches.
Still, my crappy photo doesn't do it justice, she's really a looker on the shelf.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-95879/brickgloria/mcrn-tachi-mid-scale/#details

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Check out this cool new piece.
https://www.newelementary.com/2022/12/lego-speed-champions-interview.html
Apparently its' in a new Speed Champions set. Click for more pics of it in action.
https://www.newelementary.com/2023/02/lego-speed-champions-review-76916.html

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 13, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe I'm just showing my old man colors but I'm getting kinda tired of the constant barrage of brand new 1x1 pieces. It feels like whenever lego gets stuck in a creative corner they crank out a new piece to fix it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There were some new pieces in recent sets that I thought were interesting.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=1846&idColor=11#T=P&C=11
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=79987&in=S
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=1745&idColor=86
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=89679&idColor=5

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

deoju posted:

Check out this cool new piece.
https://www.newelementary.com/2022/12/lego-speed-champions-interview.html
Apparently its' in a new Speed Champions set. Click for more pics of it in action.
https://www.newelementary.com/2023/02/lego-speed-champions-review-76916.html

This is the part I've been wanting since flush side stud pieces were first made!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Maybe I'm just showing my old man colors but I'm getting kinda tired of the constant barrage of brand new 1x1 pieces. It feels like whenever lego gets stuck in a creative corner they crank out a new piece to fix it.

its frustrating because 1x1s are the most useful fix, but also by god i hate loving with 1x1s

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If it's a useful part it's a good addition imo. The only parts I don't like are hyper specialized ones that really only have one use like some of the shuttle and airplane parts.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Rescue Toaster posted:

Going to be awhile before I do another big MOC. Holy cow is the experience different going through 200 little bags in random order than going through nice numbered pouches.
Still, my crappy photo doesn't do it justice, she's really a looker on the shelf.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-95879/brickgloria/mcrn-tachi-mid-scale/#details

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much did the parts on that thing run you?