Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Nitrousoxide posted:

My favorite manga panels are the ones not attributed to anything, so you will never know what series they were.

'Tis Time for Torture, Princess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

My favorite manga panels are the ones not attributed to anything, so you will never know what series they were.

I think people do that so you have to quote them.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
ew, latest chapter of the library dorks manga is a real stinker

(Zeikin de Katta Hon)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

SexyBlindfold posted:

(Zeikin de Katta Hon)

I like this series but it's bad for my nerves because every other chapter I end up obsessing over whether some weird thing is really an accurate picture of how libraries operate in Japan or is just a result of the author working off a handful of sketchy Wikipedia articles or the translator having no idea what the proper terminology is.

or sometimes even common words, that isn't what "reimburse" means and it's driving me crazy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assumed that research on library ops in Japan is easy if you yourself are a Japanese citizen.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

I assumed that research on library ops in Japan is easy if you yourself are a Japanese citizen.

Sure, and there are a lot of pianists in Japan, probably easy enough to find one willing to talk to you, but *gestures at PPPPPP*.

But less flippantly, even when authors make a good faith effort to research some topic they are not personally knowledgeable about they often get things wrong in small or not-so-small ways, because when you lack full context it's easy to see an exception as a general rule or vice versa, or you oversimplify, etc., etc.

Tangentially relevant:

(Elusive Samurai)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wonderslug posted:

I like this series but it's bad for my nerves because every other chapter I end up obsessing over whether some weird thing is really an accurate picture of how libraries operate in Japan or is just a result of the author working off a handful of sketchy Wikipedia articles or the translator having no idea what the proper terminology is.

or sometimes even common words, that isn't what "reimburse" means and it's driving me crazy

Watch the anime The Great Passage for some wonderful feels.

It's a show about making a dictionary. I did not expect it to go anywhere but whoever wrote the story made the decision events of how to word the definition into touching keystones that I always looked forward to when it happened.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Wonderslug posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the translator. I've never known a library human who won't tell you a million things you never wanted to know about libraries if you ask, and there is technical lingo in there that is in fairness probably a pretty thorny translation problem.

How the person doing the Heterogeneous Linguistics translation in their free time manages, I haven't a clue.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

There Was a Cute Girl in the Hero's Party, so I Tried Confessing to Her

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Been catching up on Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that entire scene is absolutely incredible

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Speedrunner Isekai

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Another World’s Health Method with Two Months Left to Live

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
less the specific panels and more this genre of joke/set up in romance manga. it both never really gets old for me and continues to make me laugh with how stupid it is. the only way to tell what gender someone is in shoujo land is by clothing. close cousin to the 'putting on a hat or sunglasses and becoming invisible' thing.

in the clear moonlit dusk is what its from btw

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That’s by the person who made Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet and Daytime Shooting Star, right?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah. haven't read those, though. just saw them in the 'other books by...' section

im a chapter or two in and it's basically My Sweet Girl, buff girl edition. and im here for it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

This is dumb good fun so far

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this is great

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

it would have been better if he spent a panel rubbing up against the wall at a weird angle

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes a world record speedrunner doing the first skip in the game hes getting it first try

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If he doesn’t say “that’s never happened before” then it’s not a speedrun

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Megamissen posted:

it would have been better if he spent a panel rubbing up against the wall at a weird angle

I was thinking the same thing. That didn't look like a wall clip at all!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I felt robbed that this isn't a one-shot but I also want to see where we're going.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 12, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

We have a thread for good dogs, where it's also a good idea to post which manga it's from. :sun:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

We have a thread for good dogs, where it's also a good idea to post which manga it's from. :sun:

Will post on there as well as add many more.

Manga is Shikimori is not Just Cute.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Namtab posted:

If he doesn’t say “that’s never happened before” then it’s not a speedrun

gooooood news

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New chapter of Shiori Experience is up, and as usual, some great 2-page spreads.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

This is pretty fun too minus the dragon girl getting treated like poo poo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SpacePig posted:

New chapter of Shiori Experience is up, and as usual, some great 2-page spreads.

This manga continues to be the best running one that truly sells sound without a single note.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

An Isekai I actually like so far? I can hardly believe it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

An Isekai I actually like so far? I can hardly believe it.

me: surely it can't be that good

it:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

That moment when you realize that you were recruited for a 100% run, not an Any% run.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

That moment when you realize that you were recruited for a 100% run, not an Any% run.

Manga is definitely worth a 100% run, had a good laugh at a lot of the scenes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There’s been one chapter and honestly I think it’s going to turn out to be one of those that would be better as a oneshot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I liked it as it is but dunno if it can hold up as a series

then again that one series about a guy getting isekai'd into the buggy-as-poo poo kaizo skyrim-alike he loves is pretty great. I forget the name of the series, I keep wanting to say nekokemonomimi something but I'm pretty sure that's just the name of the fictional game itself. I didn't expect to really stick to it when the concept was "explaining bug exploits in a game that doesn't actually exist" but it made it work surprisingly well, and maybe this one could work too.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitte Iru

Just got a new manga chapter release last month. After a year.

Kind of scared to read it because I seem to remember the last couple being really bad machine translations but it's been a year so maybe I'm thinking of another series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, you're right. comedies with bad translations are just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Diana is a Strange Mermaid